Flora - Meyntach Weed

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Re: Flora - Meyntach Weed

Postby Klane on February 28th, 2010, 9:56 pm

I think it's about done. I was just waiting for further suggestions though.
Klane
X-Slave

Words: 18143
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 4:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on March 1st, 2010, 3:55 am

Alright, my edits...

Abstract:

Yet look closer, it is not at normal as one may think.

Looks funny. Maybe "Upon closer inspection, it is not as normal as it may appear to be.

Overview:

Like most most of it's kind,

its, not it's.

the Meyntach is not picky as to where it grows, and is most often found in unattended gardens, along with the occasional one or two showing up on a path through the forest.

What region? Is this in the more moderate, temperature regional areas, like Sylira, etc? You don't say. When? The usual, blooms in spring, thrives in summer, dies in fall? I'd like to see this kind of information in there to give harvesters some ideas about when they should be looking for this. :)

The weeds themselves look ordinary to the untrained eye, but there are several ways to tell them apart.

Tell them apart from what?

The weeds themselves look ordinary to the untrained eye, but there are several ways to tell them apart from other similar plants., maybe?

reference to the reason for the name was only in written pre-Valterrian books. Which are, for obvious reasons, now destroyed.

Looks weird. Maybe:

reference to the reason for the name was only in books written before the Valterrian.

Some books did survive. They're extremely rare and expensive and in possibly ruinous condition... but some did survive.

For that reason, and because of the plants seemingly magic properties, the weed is now nicknamed Fireweed

plant's, not plants.

Further, it doesn't read very well. "the weed is often called Fireweed", maybe. Something like that.

it's spectacular properties.

its, not it's.

The first is the natural way. When a Meyntach weed reproduces it expels a special liquid that had a job of key importance through the Fireweed's entire life. This liquid prevented the chemical in the weeds tip from flowing downwards into the rest of the plant. Yet, once it is let out through the reproduction process the chemical will flow down. This highly toxic substance will light the weed on fire from the inside as it travels down, thus creating a magnificent, yet dangerous, sparkling effect. This effect can be related to that of a sparkler burning down to its end.

Grammar and fluidity:

The first is the natural way: when a Meyntach weed reproduces, it expels a special liquid that has a job of key importance throughout the plant's life. This liquid prevents the chemical in the weed's tip from flowing downwards into the rest of the plant. During the reproduction process, the chemical is released. This highly toxic substance ignites the weed from the inside out as it travels towards the roots, creating a sparking effect.

I don't like the bit about the sparkler in there, seeing as many people likely don't know what one is, may assume it's what you see when you stick one of the Cullens in the sunlight, and we do not have sparklers in Mizahar.

The alternative way to force Fireweed to light itself on fire is unnatural and potentially dangerous.

The second way is to force the plant to ignite, which is both unnatural and highly dangerous.

Using a tool such as a tweezer (although more precise tools are better) an extremely careful person would be able to squeeze the top of the Meyntach weed and force the special chemical out prematurely. This, while achieving the same effect as above, is absolutely not advised for the obvious dangers of being so close to a burning Fireweed. Although, the effect is contained enough as to not light nearby forests on fire.

Using a tool like a tweezer or fine-nosed pliers, an extremely skilled herbalist may be able to squeeze the tip of the Meyntach weed and force the chemical out prematurely. This achieves the same effect as the plant's reproduction processes, but is not advised for the obvious dangers of being so close to a burning Fireweed, which could cause (first/second/third?) degree burns against those who have no protection against it. The effect, however, is contained enough so as not to set the surrounding forests ablaze.

Usage:

I'm sorry, but this entire section just... makes my brain take several steps back and I have to force it to try to tackle this. You go through massive contradictions here, and it's painful to read. Did you go back and read it over after you wrote it?

Due to the fact that forcing a Fireweed to go through their sparking process is ill-advised, their are not too many examples of how to use the weed for beneficial purposes.That said, the Meyntach is mostly a nuisance, but that doesn't there is no way to use the plant. In fact, there are a few known uses for Fireweed. For one, it will serve as a natural fire-starter and can be used to light a fire in absence of enough dry wood or leaves. The main reason for this being good is that, although lighting Fireweed on purpose is not good, the weed is suited for many climates, including wet weather. Another way to use the Meyntach weed is for entertainment purposes. It is not unheard of for fire dancers to attempt and add Fireweed to their performances, although the results are not always good ones. Overall, there are not too many reasons to let a Meyntach grow in your garden, but perhaps more uses can be found in the future.

You're saying, there's not too many examples, but it's basically a pain in the ass plant, but WAIT! THERE ARE WAYS TO USE IT!

Do you see the contradictions? You're flip-flopping all over the place. Please don't do that in wiki entries. We want them to be clear, concise, and understandable as a source of lore and information.

There we are again, many climates, no saying where. Speaking strictly for myself, I don't see this plant in Falyndar, and it's not going to grow there. This is why you need to explain the distribution.

This tip isn't going to make wet things burn. Dry wood and leaves do not start fires. They can serve as tinder and fuel for the fire, but they don't start fires by themselves.

On that note, let's try to pick this knot apart.

Due to the fact that forcing a Fireweed to go through their sparking process is ill-advised, their are not too many examples of how to use the weed for beneficial purposes. That said, the Meyntach is mostly a nuisance, but that doesn't there is no way to use the plant. In fact, there are a few known uses for Fireweed.

Because of the considerable risk involved not only in forcing Fireweed to go through its reproductive processes prematurely, but being within close contact of the plant, activating Fireweed is not recommended except for highly skilled herbalists. In capable hands, however, the Meyntach is not without its uses.

For one, it will serve as a natural fire-starter and can be used to light a fire in absence of enough dry wood or leaves. The main reason for this being good is that, although lighting Fireweed on purpose is not good, the weed is suited for many climates, including wet weather. Another way to use the Meyntach weed is for entertainment purposes. It is not unheard of for fire dancers to attempt and add Fireweed to their performances, although the results are not always good ones.

First of all, it is a natural fire starter. It can be used to light a fire in the absence of flint and steel. Fireweed can also be used for entertainment purposes by fire dancers, although it requires a great deal of caution and creativity on the dancer's behalf.

Overall, there are not too many reasons to let a Meyntach grow in your garden, but perhaps more uses can be found in the future.

Take this out. It serves no purpose.

Overall opinion:

I want to see the following clear-cut and expressed:

Where it grows.
When it grows (and subsequent life cycle including approximate seasons/etc).
Usage. This needs to be fixed.

I want to see more on biology. I know you don't like that, but for something that grows as commonly and frequently as a weed needs details like that. How long does it get? What colour is it? You give a picture, great. Is that what it looks like? I want to know the growing conditions. It's not picky, that's fine. But Mizahar has an extremely diverse range of biomes... you need to decide where this plant grows and how.

I imagine simple gardeners are not skilled in the more extreme matters of herbalism.f it's a weed, how do they get rid of it? How does it spread? Can you pull it up by the roots, chop the plant off below the tip, and throw the tip in the fireplace? How do they get rid of the weed, since obviously setting their gardens on fire at the end of its lifespan isn't a good idea.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Klane on March 1st, 2010, 10:20 pm

I took Cayennes suggestions, and I plan to revise it further when I get a chance. Don't wait for me to revise again before you comment. In fact, please continue to give feedback in the meantime! Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Klane
X-Slave

Character sheet

Postby Klane on March 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm

I revised it again, but I have the strangest feeling you guys will find a lot more errors than I can. Please comment and critique further, and I'll continue to check here and read over the article myself.
Klane
X-Slave

Character sheet

Previous