Character Organization Help?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Here's the place to find information on 'How do I do that?' when it comes to creating avatars, signatures, calculating travel time or big purchases, or even working with the bbc code. There are help files for codework for both the main board forums and the lore sections. There are threads advertising players that are willing to create signatures for other players. Please feel free to discuss technical issues, photo cropping, suggest new bbc code, or get help from players and admins on things you want to do. This forum includes posts, wiki technical aid, avatar art, character sheet art, signature work, and all things visual when it comes to Mizahar.

Postby Risa Moontide on July 25th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Hello!
Basically I've been looking at others' CS's and I've been filled with jealousy. I don't know how they can get their characters so well organized, that it just flows off the pages. I don't need coding help; Rosabelle made an awesome code for the CS. I merely want things to look in order and pleasing so I don't feel like people have to search it to get teh info I need. Help?!?
Thanks in advance!
Risa
Risa Moontide
Player

Words: 132313
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2011, 6:45 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lucy on August 30th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Well, I think You should make 2nd post different.. Skills, learning and lore should be together in tabset, maybe lagungages too, but equipment and ledger should be in another tabset or something. Tabsets are cool, indeed, but it's hard to find something when everything is in the same one. Same goes for Questionnaire. Unpack it. I read your CS few days ago (can't remember why) and I had really hard time looking for some questions. Spoilers are enough, you don't need to classify every single thing. Gnosis story is great and Thread list should have some tabset xD or table for timestamp, I like when date is written.

That's just my opinion.^^
Lucy
No need to teach an eagle to fly

Words: 48734
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Seven Xu on August 30th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Both my CS' sort of have an "order" to them, in that their personal information is first, then skills, then a thread list/archive.

My layout goes a little something like ...

Character Concept
Pre-Creation History
Post-Creation History
--
Equipment
Skills/Lores
Languages
Ledger
--
Active Threads
Thread Archive*

I'd like to think I've successfully made my CS easy to navigate without having multiple posts and title sections, either (although my CS is somewhat of an editing nightmare). I do separate things by frame, but other than that, I try to keep everything relatively simple and uncluttered (spoiler tags work great for this).

*I see a lot of CSs that don't separate active and graded threads. If you hide all your graded threads away in an archive, it really de-clutters everything, in my opinion.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Fela Meason on August 30th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Great suggestions so far, also if you just need coding I'm sure someone can help you put some together. My posts may not look it cause I keep em simple but I'm pretty good with coding if you need any help with it.

:)
This is Fela talking, This is Fela thinking, This is text, and This is someone else talking.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Words: 149056
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2011, 3:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)