[Mt. Skyinarta] Bagging Game [Taln]

Kovac accosts Taln to assist him on a hunt, seems all deks aren't created equal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Kovac on September 9th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Timestamp: 5th Day of Fall, 511 AV
Purpose: Hunting

The day was warm for Skyinarta, the calendar turning Fall but the climate still summery. The sky was overcast, perfect for hunting. Sunny days are fine for recreation, but the stark difference between light and shadow made a hunter's movements more difficult to conceal. Days where the sun is shrouded in clouds mutes that separation of light and dark, giving one better chance pursuing game.

After checking the weather, Kovac ducked back into the aerie. Shayth was off with Turiska on some patrol or task, and the avora was free to enter the section where the wind eagle lived, and the wide opening to the crater of the volcano gaped. He returned to his room, gathering his supplies, a small pack, bow, quiver and talon sword. The hunter's destination today would be the woods along the mountain slope, not far from the Sanikas Pass. Deer and goat had been reported to have appeared in more numbers lately.

As Kovac worked his way through the warrens, the realization came that, if he did bag some animal, it would be nearly impossible for him to drag it back up the pass. He could see if Sairque or Sira would make themselves available to fetch his prize, or wait for Shayth to return. But the idea of having to rely on an endal to do his job was chafing. He needed a horse. Or...a work horse.

The half-breed's eyes lighted on a tall figure in a lontev. It was a drudge, and a big one at that. Kovac grinned. Workhorse. He strode up the the man and commanded. "You, what are you doing? I need you to come with me."
Last edited by Kovac on September 16th, 2011, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Taln on September 9th, 2011, 5:54 pm

It was nice to finally have a day off after this long. It had been one thing after another that seemed divided strictly between heavy labor or weeping women. Taln had spent an extra ten chimes in the bath house after a meal, and just felt... free. It was one of those rare perfect days where summer tried to cling into the fall season, but the cloudiness took away the full force of direct sunlight.

A long and well deserved idle day was just beginning and the tall dek sighed in relief. He could do a whole bunch of nothing if wanted to--

"You, what are you doing? I need you to come with me."

Taln chewed his lip ring in rising irritation. That would just figure! Finally get a so called day off, only to spend it working! At least it was a male voice, which was a nice change of pace from tantrums and tears of the estrogen ocean that seemed to flood him.

Reluctantly he turned around and looked pointedly down at the slim Avora. His intense and impatient expression accompanied by the finely crafted bow and quiver of arrows defined a long day of hunting before him. So of course, he needed a 'sentient' packhorse to carry his load.

Kovac's question was more rhetorical than anything and he knew better than to answer it. The six foot, copper haired dek fell in beside the shorter, slimmer Avora like a large obedient dog and bit back a reluctant sigh.

'This one's not even pure Inarta! Wait, I think that's the mutt Rista mentioned she's apprenticed to. Hmm. At least I'll get to stretch my legs and do something not so petching mundane like hauling boxes over and over.'

Resigned to his fate, he nodded politely to the archer, signalling his readiness.
Taln
Ivak's will be done

Words: 246324
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2011, 12:57 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Never Say Die (1)

Postby Kovac on September 13th, 2011, 4:17 pm

The avora and dek made their way to the Sanikas Gates. As the drudge walked next to him, Kovac chafed only slightly at the larger man. Sure, he was taller, more buff, and admittedly more handsome, but he was still just a dek. The archer was sure he had his share of upper caste females who made good use of him. Kovac himself, in seasons past, occasionally availed himself to the prettier drudges. He drank heavily back then, and he did not like to recall how he treated some of those women.

The hunter did not make the dek carry anything. His Talon sword, bow and quiver were highly valued, and he would keep them to himself. The pack he carried held only his emergency flint and steel, a few rations, a hunting knife and a small coil of thin rope. Kovac did not intend to travel far from the road through the Sanikas pass, so he packed lightly. He looked sidelong at the man. Kovac thought again, and slid the waterskin and pack off of his shoulder and handed them to the dek. "You take these...don't want people to mistake me for the drudge." He quipped.

The unusual pair slipped trhough the Sanikas Gates, Kovac giving a slight nod of acknowledgment to the Gatekeeper sitting in his alcove. They passed a few carts and pack animals nearing the top of the Road, certainly good from Thunder Bay. There would be a steady flow of deliveries from the settlement, culminating in the harvest of crops that will come up shortly before the semi-permanent village is closed later in the Fall. Kovac hoped he would have other things to do when it came to shutting Thunder Bay down.

The avora tugged at the sontav on his left arm, the only one he wore. No words passed between the two men as they descended the wide road that hugged the slope of Mount Skyinarta, passing over the Sanikas River numerous times along the way. With mild interest, well...scanty interest, Kovac broke the silence.

"What do they call you?"
He asked as they crossed one of the many bridges along the stone-paved Sanikas Road.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Taln on September 13th, 2011, 9:17 pm

The red haired man winced at he passed the gatekeeper and nodded submissively. His shoulders slumped and he kept his gaze on the ground. Hopefully they'd be on the trail and get away from so many reminders of his embarrassing moments.

He didn't want to think about the cowing and caste reminders that he was less human than others. That he had no right to say or express what was 'right.' It would be great to just get out and actually be part of the hunt. Most people just assumed all drudges were alike with no real personality. Just animals that spoke occasionally when commanded. Regardless of his height and strength, no matter that his hearing was nearly supernatural; his eye sight and lack of depth perception made learning hunting skills a near impossibility for him. The most the Dek would ever get to hunting was to be a mute pack animal for some other person's hunt prowess. When Kovac spoke, it thankfully dragged him away from his ever-increasing morbid thoughts.

Taln almost grinned at the crazy comment. Like -that- would ever happen in a million years! Kovac was very well known as a great archer with so many aspiring students. He was quickly gaining an incredible reputation for his expertise in archery. The Dek couldn't help but envy that. A lot.

"With my ragged clothes? With the sontav and your reputation?' He responded tartly, "Not in this lifetime!"

He shouldered the pack with unconscious ease, not bothering to even pause as the pack was shifted from Avora to Dek. The pair walked with Taln purposely staying a little back and to the side of the half breed. The large man lengthened his stride, enjoying the chance to get out into nature; where he could use his hearing to its full capacity.

Water burbled over the stones, singing to itself and the men's shoes trod an echo over a small wooden bridge. Trees scraped at the belly of the sky, looking tall enough to touch the clouds. No one could ask for a better day for hunting or simply enjoying the wilderness.

'What do they call me?! Stupid, dumb, idiot brute!' he thought.

"Taln." The man answered quietly.

Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kovac on September 16th, 2011, 12:53 pm

The two men continued on, following the descent of the winding stone road. To one side the valley spread out below like a blanket, the river racing ahead of them to the base of the mount and running through the valley towards Thunder Bay. It was beautiful, still clinging to the colors of summer.

Kovac's mouth twitched slightly as the dek responded. Was it a sincere compliment, or was it flattery? The snarky avora's ability to accept either graciously was anemic. "I may have been a bit generous to you in that statement." He replied without looking at the man. "But I am just a freak, kind of like you. I just get paid better." His gaze shifted back towards the tall blonde drudge. "You probably see more action than I do, Taln."

Kovac's perspective on deks had evolved over the years. When he was at his lowest, after Kalle had left him, he spent a lot of time drunk. He treated drudges horribly. Abusive verbally and physically, on a few occasions he coerced a female to his bed. He did cruel things to drudges. Only after he met Haya did he begin to see some humanity in the dek. Haya had confronted him once, finding him drunk in a hall. He had struck her and bloodied her lip. But the woman was tenacious, and instead, befriended him, helping him back to his room. He allowed her to sleep there that night, unmolested. Haya was a dek that earned Kovac's respect. They were still the low of the low, they had their place and their duties, but one of them had proven that a dek can be more human that the endal's he so despised. So, even though Kovac used drudges as he saw fit, he never again abused one.

Nearly at the bottom of the road, Kovac moved to the edge and vaulted over the low stone wall on the slope side. The inclined terrain beyond was wooded, mostly with conifers. The hunter turned his head and signaled for Taln to follow him. "Ever been on a hunt?" the archer inquried. They then ducked into the forested mountainside.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Taln on September 16th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Taln nodded at the 'generous' comment, not sure what the best verbal reply to that would be.
"Teaching Yasis all day? Whatever it is, you don't get paid enough!" He almost laughed back. He gave a brief thought to the endless succession of know it all, cruel, idiot and imperious teenage Yasis he'd ever had the misfortune to meet.

Their eyes watched the blonde walk by, as if drawn inexorably like magnets to her figure. The copper haired man shrugged.

"Yea, but mostly with the higher castes. Excepting maybe one or two, the Dek women are coolllld." He gestured with his head toward the dek female.

"Unless I reach a higher caste, they won't even look in my direction. Especially Shalisa there. Most of 'em just want an extra meal and a soft bed and are more than willing to bargain for it." Taln shook his head dismissively at the woman.

"She'd give -you- a roll, but I wouldn't stand a chance. Yet the higher castes for me, are a given. Ironic huh?"

He smiled at Kovac, enjoying the time outdoors. There was more than enough room for him move his entire self to the fullest without bumping into someone and it was a rare feeling. Winter would close in soon and he wanted to take in all the small freedoms he could before it was too late.

The peace, spaciousness and quiet finally eased the last of his tension. No crowds to box him in, no loud voices to make him cringe or haranguing insults to withstand. Just a place where he could be himself. The chance to just exist without harassment was a change of pace he'd like to have more often.

The tall Dek moved quickly at the slight gesture. Taln swung a long leg and stepped over the low stone wall, not breaking or even slowing his stride. He nodded at Kovac's question,

"Yea they usually have me listen for them. It's the one thing I'm really good at; my hearing."

Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kovac on September 22nd, 2011, 3:21 pm

Taln was talkative, for a dek. Most kept quiet, either out of deference or spite. This one seemed to feel it appropriate to engage Kovac in conversation, even if uninvited. That particular day, Kovac was in a good mood, and didn't mind. Honestly, there were few men in Wind Reach that even spoke to him, of any rank.

"I have found a dek woman can be quite a fine bed warmer."
He grinned slightly. "All women are fickle Taln, no matter what their status, and they don't seem satisfied with their own kind." A twinge of angst poked at Kovac's heart, memory of an avora woman who betrayed him for an endal rider. The hard remembrance was then subdued by the thought of his own cross-caste romance with Shayth.

As they walked away from the road and into the shade of the wooded slope, Kovac retrieved his bow and plucked a hunting arrow from his quiver. "Good ears huh? Excellent, then you will be a big help. My forte is actually shooting this thing, other hunters in the company are better at finding the game."

He lead the drudge along what appeared a very faint, thin path. "I am not interested in small stuff, no lops or squirrels. A deer would do. Probably too much to ask for a low ranging sky goat to appear. I guess we will see what we find."

Kovac pointed ahead. "Take the lead, let me know if you hear or see anything...with a hand motion." The hunter assumed the customary crouch as they moved along, slower and more deliberate to limit the sound of his boots moving through the light underbrush. The arrow was nocked to the bowstring, but not drawn.
Last edited by Kovac on September 27th, 2011, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Taln on September 25th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Taln shrugged at the wisdom of it. Women were far too mercurial to ever fully understand. He doubted that even women understood women. What seemed the ideal phrase for two would be offensive to another pair of them. But then again, that was part of their charm; figuring out the mystery of that particular female.

When Kovac finally mentioned hunting, the Dek perked up noticeably. He was no longer slouched with downcast eyes, but rather taking larger strides and looking around eagerly.

The moment the Avora gave orders to go ahead, Taln nodded to the other man and savored the freedom of trust that only a hunt could bring out. Walking barefoot, his feet made no sound as he took the lead with caution. Instead of freely swinging, he kept his long arms at his side and walked so smoothly, that his torso never changed position.

A few blades of grass bent sharply against his feet and he knew it was a sign of cloven hooves splitting the terrain beneath his tread. The trail was faint and showed that most likely a goat or deer had passed this way often enough to leave evidence.

There! A branch dragged across something, yet there was no wind! Something was close enough to hear clearly and there was no breeze to give away their scents. He gestured carefully with a small wave of his left hand for the archer to come forward while he stepped to the side out of the way. Although his eyesight was poor at best, Taln caught a small movement in his peripheral vision.

Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kovac on October 7th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Kovac was skeptical about letting the dek take point. He was certainly no tracker, but the man had insinuated he had accompanied hunters before, and claimed to be useful. Would he be conscious of alerting the game? Remaining undetected was not easy when pursuing animals in their own habitat. A cracked twig, a stumble, anything could send your quarry running. He would give the dek a few chimes to see how he did, before resigning him to follow at a safe distance. However, as they slunk deeper into the woods, Taln proceeded with care. The man turned his head at odd angles, as if sensing with his hearing as much, or more so, than his eyesight.

When the drudge motioned to the avora and summoned him, Kovac slipped up on light steps, looking in the direction Taln indicated. He caught a glimpse of movement amidst the conifers, possibly a creature large enough to be suitable prey. Turning to his companion, Kovac gave him an approving nod and a hand signal indicating he should stay behind him. Then the hunter crouched lower as he drew closer, each step slow, placing his feet down carefully, heel to toe. The bow was held low, with just a slight pull on the string in readiness to shoot. This was, in fact, Kovac's first hunt with his new bow, just purchased a few days prior, a kind of Fall celebration present to himself. It was a composite short bow, a lovely weapon that was compact and powerful.

With a quick glance behind him at Taln, Kovac checked the drudge's position, ensuring he was not too close. Turning back, the hunter caught a glimpse of fur ahead, just down slope from a rock outcropping. A head popped up, the alert ears of a doe twitching as if to detect the source of some sound. Kovac froze and dropped his hand, palm back, indicating to Taln to halt as well. Slowly, the avora raised the bow, drawing back the string. The new bow creaked with stiffness as it reached full draw, and the deer's head spun around towards the men. With quick aim, the string was released and the arrow streaked between the tall tree trunks to plunge into the animal's neck. But moment of joy the half-blood experienced was immediately squashed by a startled twitch. A large flash of tan and white launched itself from atop the rock and collapsed upon the deer as a loud snarl echoed across the slope. "Petch!" Kovac whispered loudly. "Cougar!" The growling ceased and a large feline head appeared above the low, sparse forest foliage. Its gleaming golden eyes fixed upon its rival hunter.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Taln on October 9th, 2011, 4:19 pm

The tall Dek took out his Talon sword in preparation to skin and gut the prey when Kovac killed it. At the moment the half breed said petch, he answered with his own fervently whispered curse. He wished he knew more about hunting, but it would be too little, too late now.

He watched the large cat carefully through lowered lashes. The copper haired man had no idea that his averted gaze, Endal treatment was perfect for dealing with predators. He held his breath, gripping the sword so tightly his knuckles whitened. His mouth was so dry it was impossible to swallow. He'd never been so scared in his entire life.

Although his body stayed still, his mind raced frantically, searching for an answer. Wait-why not treat the predator like an Endal?! Taln wasn't alone, and the wild cat seemed focused on Kovac. If he moved, then its attention would see two people taller than it. Maybe like a higher caste, it wouldn't bother going after one if a second one joined? Adrenaline coursed through him and his hands shook.

The man standing in front of him was the one helping out Rista and he couldn't let anything happen to him. He firmed his resolve to stand his ground and treat this predator like the ones he knew--Endals. Taln whispered urgently to the hunter,

"A higher up isn't as likely to attack and bully if there's two or more. I'll get its attention off you! If it sees two of us spreading out, it might be too confused to pounce! If I can get it to look at me instead, you can shoot it with you bow!"

The moment the words left his mouth, he desperately hoped his theory was true! He paused for the other man's consent and moved. Taln took a large step about ninety degrees two paces to Kovac's left side, trying to draw the giant creature's eyes off of the hunter. Fortunately it worked; or is that unfortunately?

Pinned under the menacing yellow eyes, Taln muttered,

"Over here, kitty, kitty, kitty..."

For better or worse, he now placed his life in Kovac's hands--and bow.

Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next