Drinks all around, or maybe just for him (Murdoch)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Daeva Timandre on March 3rd, 2011, 11:10 pm

For the first time, Daeva noticed the unusual black nails Doc sported whilst he took the cards to begin his shuffling. She didn’t necessarily stare, the akontak was only curious, especially when the hue of the nails surpassed the quality of any black paint she’s ever seen. Needless to say, Daeva thought nothing of it, and soon returned her undivided attention to the more than handsome man that now dealt the cards and explained the rules of the game. Only his unguarded smile wore the same hue of onyx that coated his nails. Now she was really intrigued. But for now, she said nothing of it, and went over the rules in her head.

Simple enough. Get to 21 with the cards that were dealt to your hand and take your chances based on what you got. Daeva was all eyes and ears, looking over her 8-value card and glancing at the facedown of a Jackal. She was close, 18 out of 21. But the akontak did take into account what Doc proposed about his Hawk card. A Pressorah and he’d instantly win! She smiled to herself, thoughtfully.

“I’m going to go ahead and ask for a Gift. Go long or go home.” If she lost, well, it was a beginner’s game, and at least she got to lose to him. She took another swig of her wine, then rested her elbow on the counter with her head against her hand. “I can sense the utter defeat coming.”

But even with her attention sold on the cards, the curiosity was burning in her mind and on the tip of her tongue, after a few chimes she asked, "Is there a story related to those dazzling teeth and nails?" Her tone was anything but impertinent. She offered him a more genuine smile.
Daeva Timandre
I wrestled with angels all my life.

Words: 45274
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2011, 2:02 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Murdoch on March 4th, 2011, 3:39 am

Doc laughed at her brashness, shaking his head a little though there was an appreciative spark in his muddy eyes. "That phrase usually pertains to betting, not sheer number of cards," he chuckled.

Agile fingers flipped another card over and laid it beside her others, revealing a seven of skulls. Eyebrows rose, and he waited to see whether she'd survived the Gift or gone over.

Her question got a quick sigh and another chuckle, darker than the first. "There is a story related to every part of my body, darling," he smirked, shrugging a little as he peeked at his own card to see what he had for a hand. "That one is longer and stranger than most, but suffice to say there are consequences to being a marginally upright person. Sometimes it means the bad guys know your name." He met her gaze steadily, the same lazy amusement tilting his lips as before, but it didn't quite stay in his eyes.
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Daeva Timandre on March 7th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Daeva looked over the card. A seven of skulls, great. Should have been obvious she would have gone over. "That's it. That's the card that shyked me. I'm over." The Akonak chuckled.

She downed the last of her wine then poured herself more, finally feeling the weight of the alcohol on her senses. Good, she'd been here long enough as it was. Slender blue hands pushed the cards back toward Doc, giving him a crooked smile. "Who wouldn't be interested in a man who says he has a story related to every body part? All the more to pass the time." She shifted in her seat, and crossed her legs, "Are they trailing you then?" She wasn't sure if Doc would answer personal questions to the fullest but it certainly didn't hurt to ask, "I always imagined the bad guys to be old, frail men hanging on the backs of burly, stupid ones. I'm sure in your case, I'm very far off."

Her gaze was unblinking as she scrutinized his features once more. Just one sign, something that could explain his circumstances. But she found nothing, and her mark, also told her nothing.
Daeva Timandre

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Murdoch on March 14th, 2011, 2:08 am

"Ah, that is a dangerous assumption," he chuckled, gathering the cards up again and shuffling them. "Evil rarely wears the face you expect. It often appears as any person might in a crowd, and even more often," he chuckled, smirking a little, "it takes a woman's pleasing form. But you needn't worry," he added. "None of these particular bad guys survived the night. There may be other bad guys following me, but so far as I'm aware, the agents of Rhysol are keeping their dirty black hands to themselves."

No secretive, no, but a glance was directed her way to see how she would take that particular piece of information. It wasn't often that the god of evil Himself was mentioned in casual conversation, and likely even more rare for it to be said that he was defeated. There was no pride in his words, though. His voice remained as low and cheerful as it had been all evening - but her Azenth would sense the profound sense of fear that the memory of that night called up and, even more strangely, a sharp taste of indignation.
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Daeva Timandre on March 26th, 2011, 9:21 pm

oocSo so sorry for delaying this!

"Can't say I ever had the pleasure of meeting Evil," Daeva said, "Although I do know one conniving bitch that needs to disappear entirely," She added, barely audibly. It was only his last comment that made her straighten up in her seat. The akontak leaned forward, "Rhysol? You faced the scoundrels of Rhysol?" She needed more alcohol, and the hand that fetched it was swift. "You, sir, must have some balls made of isurian steel. I'm honestly astounded, unless, of course...." The Azenth flared, and that was when she faced the acute fear of his memories and the splash of ire that followed it. No lie could produce such emotion.

Daeva's white eyes searched Doc's; a reflection of his emotions through the windows to the soul. But it was a fleeting moment, and the akontak was quick to look away and focus her attention on the half empty wine jug. "One thing alcohol is good for is forgetting the painful memories." And she lifted the jug to her lips and drank.
Daeva Timandre

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Murdoch on April 2nd, 2011, 4:01 am

A smirk touched his lips, but not his muddy eyes - nothing did, really, but considering what he'd seen in his short life, was that really surprising?

"My balls are my business, love," he chuckled, refilling his own mug of ale from the pitcher. "But yes, I faced their scoundrels, though that's a light enough term in my book. Evil, black-hearted demons from the blackest pits of the world is a bit more apropos. But I am no hero," he said, grin flashing again before he buried it in his cup and took a deep swallow. "Just a mere tool, and that's not such a pleasant thing either. If I never see another god in my entire damned life, I can die a happy man," he sighed. And then lifted his mug to touch it to her jug in a toast.
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Stranger on October 6th, 2011, 6:20 pm

XP Award!

Daeva:
Rhetoric: +4
Seduction: +2
Gambling: +3

Lore:
Over-imbibing
Curiosity Sated

Murdoch:
Gambling: +2
Rhetoric: +4
Teaching" +4

Lore:
Love of the Game
Silver-Tongue

NOTES:
Loved it, guys. So witty and playful, yet you managed to accomplish something. Bravo. Let me know if I missed something you were aiming for.
Stranger
Candy Maker

Words: 31827
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 1:48 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous