[Scholarly Abode] My, sadistic mentor!

The Abode's newest member is set to a near-impossible (and rather amusing) task.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Seven Xu on October 10th, 2011, 2:01 pm

26th day of Fall, 511 AV
Four bells past noon

Leather boot slapped against wet cobblestone for what seemed like an eternity. The sun had traveled across her path in the dull grey sky and rain had started and stopped more times than Seven had cared to count. Hands gathering lint in his pockets, the halfblood hummed tunelessly as the street he tottered down finally opened up to the decrepit-looking structure that an Alvad had described to him that very morning. “It’s about time,” he murmured breathlessly, before breaking into a jog to finish the last few steps of his search.

The Scholarly Abode of Intellectual Pursuits looked as old as its name was pretentious. The wooden door he stood before was dwarfed by yellowed brick and high glass windows. Beyond the dingy span of glass, Seven could see deep mahogany book cases filled to the brim with volumes and pages and the orange glow of a lit hearth. From a worn leather wingback came a stirring, and seconds later the door swung open and he was met with a scowl.

“Yes?”
“Well met. I’m Seven Xu, I was told that this—”
“What are your intentions in coming to the Abode?” A sigh escaped through dry lips beneath a white moustache as the man fell into an obvious rhythm of questions asked a thousand times before. “What knowledge do you possess of Ionu, of the city of Alvadas?”

As the moustache blathered on with question after relentless question, Seven was suddenly very aware that through his afternoon navigating the maze that was Alvadas—he had done very little to prepare himself. He balked. His mouth opened and closed a few times, though no sound emerged. It had no chance to, beneath the hammering investigation pertaining to his knowledge and his faith.

“You look like a fish when you do that, Seven Xu.”
“I’m sorry, sir.”
“Asperenus. Master Doddel Asperenus. Now, do you have any answers for me, or shall I close my door and allow you to finish the afternoon on my porch, sucking in air?”

Seven’s brows knitted together in thought. “Forgive me, Master Asperenus.” Red flicked over the elderly Asperenus and he straightened. “I am not a pious man; I know of Ionu only through books and I’m a foreigner to your city.” There was a shuffle of paper and from a leather notebook, Seven produced a finger’s width stack of vellum, curled and yellowed at the edges. Doddel drew them from the halfblood’s lithe fingers and began to thumb through them.

“These are maps.”

A cascade of white matted over ruby eyes as Seven bowed his head, trying to erase his mind of the scathing look the man was currently burning into the top of his skull. “I’ve been to Lhavit, and Syliras, I’ve mapped the cities and the route between. I’ve also done several accurate charts of the night’s sky, and—”
“This one is of Alvadas.”
“Yes, I was about to—”
“That’s odd.”

Seven’s chin lifted, daring to explore the sudden change in Asperenus’ voice. The man was turning the page with a small sketch of Alvadas’ streets—a section, a fragment—peering incredulously at the lines. “This is a strange arrangement, indeed. You did not fabricate this?”

“No. What? No.” Seven reached for his map, suddenly feeling all together too self-conscious for those sunken and chilly eyes’ critique but Doddel turned, and with his back to the halfblood, stepped wholly into the Abode again. However, the door remained open.

“Come.”
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Seven Xu on October 24th, 2011, 1:53 pm

The interior of the Scholarly Abode smelled of rotting paper, decades of dust, and burning wood. Every wall of the common area Doddel lead Seven into was lined with overstuffed bookcases that soared from floor to ceiling, leaving modest space for dingy windows to do much for natural lighting. A pair of wingback chairs faced an aged brick fireplace where cackling flames licked and sputtered among thick ebony logs. Books had overflowed onto thickly built tables, blanketed with dust and scattered with rolled and crinkled parchment.

“I should like to see more of these,” Doddel’s wrinkled face found a slim smile; “Age is a wonderful and terrible thing, ser Xu. My mind is a wealth of knowledge, but my body is getting on; I can no longer wander the streets of Ionu’s city every day. His secret is well-kept if by nothing but time.” There was a choke of dry laughter, and Doddel approached one wingback to ease himself into it. Twisting, he crooked a finger at the halfblood.

Seven wasted no time in assuming the other chair.

“In the end, the gods win. We are given a deadline to ascertain their secrets; our minds are burdened by our own mortality.” Doddel’s head found the high velvet back of the chair and his chest pushed out a wheezing sigh. Burning wood cracked and popped in the fire’s heat. “My comrades are worldly and immeasurably intelligent, if not a bit windy, but they are just as old and useless as I am. You will be paid for what you bring me. Maps, locations, times, dates; it is all important.”

Realizing that his lips were hanging open, Seven’s jaw tightened and he gave Doddel an abrupt nod.

“I do not often commission the help of albinos that show up on my doorstep,” two brows raised over those icy, sunken eyes, unkempt and white, peppered with grey. They looked as if they were trying to merge across a valley of flesh-colored hills. “I realize you are a foreigner, but Alvads say ‘thank you’ when they are offered a job.”

“Th-thank you, Master Asperenus,” Seven stammered, clumsy fingers gripping at his knees as he lurched forward to tip his head in polite Lhavitian custom, “I will not disappoint you.”

“See that you don’t.” The elderly man heaved his form from the chair and began a measured approach to one of many cluttered tables. “This is more than a simple scribe job. You will join our order, attend our meetings, and learn what I have to tell you. And maybe, just maybe,” Two hands splayed across the dusty tabletop and Doddel craned his neck to leer at the pretty man still seated in front of the crackling fireplace.

“You’ll prove clever enough to afford me Ionu’s secret before I die.”

End
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)