Pointed Questions [Ifran]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Bedlam on August 7th, 2011, 8:07 am

511 AV, Season of Summer, Day ??

During daylight hours the Playhouse was a madhouse, full of the noise of the crowd, of chewing peanuts and cheers, of soliloquies of monologues from the stage, color and light. But now was night—at least as near as Ifran could tell, as when he woke his body had protested that it was not yet time, though there was no natural light to speak of in this place, lit by too-long candles and things that should not glow.

But even they were dark when the girl found him, eyes proud as his grandfather’s. The little girl ripped off his while he was still drowsy and told him that Fabel wanted him in the highest galleys, and though she had not said it aloud he knew that she meant now.

In the main theater, away from where the actors slept, the place was wholly dark except for a sky full of smudged starts and a charcoal moon, the false sky seeming high as the true one here, beneath the earth.

At the seventh galley—the highest, the richest—he knew that the decorations were all eerie splendor, that there were carvings made into the stone and wood, but he could see only the shadows.

He found Fabel in the bottom row, feet propped up on the railing left there to keep the rich and prosperous from leaning too far in and falling head over heels to their death. “Ifran!” He said, as though greeting a long-lost friend, turning on his bench and looking back at the Eypharian with a smile that nearly touched his ears. “Why are you still here?”
Bedlam
Player

Words: 79119
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Ifran on August 7th, 2011, 8:02 pm

He was a long way from the splendor of Ahnatep, and he knew it instantly upon waking in so many ways. The bed linens were too heavy, too rough, even in the heat of summer. A servant was treating him without the respect to which he was entitled as a son of the North Wind. He was bid hurry by an employer who didn't give a fig that he was all but royalty.

But he had come to Alvadas for a purpose, and he was playing the role of exotic foreigner and employee and wearing many masks for many purposes, all leading back toward the one superobjective. And so he rose, nodding to the girl and murmuring his thanks. When she had gone, he began humming as he dressed, warming up his voice for the day or for the night. It was difficult to tell here.

The fine clothes of Ahnatep had been left behind, and his worn travel clothes were cleaned, but put away, useless for the time being. Now he wore simple trousers of blue linen, a cloak thrown over his shoulders. It was a temporary solution to his clothing issues, but it wouldn't matter for the summer, and he would find a tailor who could see to the needs of an Eypharian before it got much colder. Besides, the theater costumed him most of the time.

A few simple runs of his voice preceded his exit, and he drank a cup of water from the bedstand too. The health of his voice was paramount, the health of his body close behind. For that reason, he ate well, slept well, and exercised properly. The philosophy behind his art was perfection, which, one might say was the ultimate illusion.

"Master Fabel," he said, his voice roused enough that it was impossible to tell he had been woken from slumber. "I come at your call, unless that was a more philosophical question, to which the simplest answer would be: I have not yet done with this place."
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Words: 172387
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Lore Author (1)

Postby Bedlam on August 8th, 2011, 12:47 am

Fabel rolled his eyes. "So we keep our secrets," he said, stood and turned to face Ifran. "And you come here from your believed Ahnatep, all stone and sand and gold. For what? So that some Foysha's orphan daughter could pull you out of bed?" He pulled the curse from Ifran's own language, eyes dancing with silent laughter. He was enjoying this. Perhaps he always had.

"Your sort is nothing special here," Fabel said. "They come from everywhere; Syliras, Lhavit, Yahebah, a few every year, the sorts who can afford the trip and they say they came to learn, when what they really mean is 'I want to impress your God.'" And then he was somber as a stone.

"Here we train our actors since before they are old enough to know who they are," he said. "We teach them to wear different faces when they are empty. But you," Fabel's paused, searching for the right word. "You do not need this place."

This was, truth be told, more words than Fabel had spoken to Ifran since he came to the Crook in the first place.

"Other humans who come to this place almost always leave. They are used to luxury, and your sort are used to more. Gruel and scratchy blankets are so often more than they can bear." He snorted, a smile creeping back over his face. "Paramours, dancers, singers, anyone and everyone. They think that they can do better on their own, and they leave to find Ionu's favor their own way." Fabel shrugged. "A lot rides on your answer, Ifran." He raised an eyebrow. "They left. Why haven't you?"
Bedlam
Player

Office

Postby Ifran on August 8th, 2011, 2:16 am

"We keep our secrets," he agreed, though he might as well have been talking about Fabel and his secrets as himself and his own. Common was such a flat, uninspired language sometimes, nothing like the High Arumenic whose complex linguistic structures could imply such shaded nuances of meaning. Arguing in Common was a hack and slash berserker fight, but arguing in Arumenic was a deadly dance. So be it.

But he listened with all due respect and consideration before responding.

"I am nothing special here," he agreed. "I am a beautiful and unique snowflake, just like everyone else." That was an adage from some other land. Snowfall in Eyktol was a legendary thing, but he was well-read among other things.

He was quiet again for a moment, allowing a mask to fall away, revealing consideration where normally he would reply without missing a beat, improvising. There might have been nothing of falsehood, but his answers would have been intuitive. Now he thought them out, planned them, the better to communicate to this man who had hired him despite his current attempt to shake him loose like some flea or tick or other blood-sucking parasite.

"I may never be a perfect actor in your tradition," he allowed. "I have already faced this knowledge. But I can learn from you and, perhaps, take certain ideas back with me that will improve me and the art of Ahnatep. Or I may never return. I needn't inherit. Nothing is certain save change. But if my artifice were enough to attract the attention of the Sacred Illusionist, it would have. Here in Its city, though, my chances are greater. Perhaps I will be discouraged. Perhaps I will leave. But not due to disrespect, scratchy blankets, and meager food. My apprenticeship was no less grueling than your own, I am sure.

"But I seek life without masks, so perhaps your path is the right one for me. If I can learn to disappear and be who and what I need to be at any given time, then no mask will be necessary. I will not need to hide. My name will be writ in water."
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Bedlam on August 12th, 2011, 7:20 am

Fabel inclined his head slightly, masked his expression in shadow. He stood and made a beckoning gesture, stepped toward the back of the gallery on sure feet. "If you had the wealth of your ancestors here, this is where you would sit." Fabel told him. "Sometimes exiles from your homeland sit here, but usually they cannot afford to. The most powerful people in the city come to be entertained here."

They moved down through the stairwell. "You have sung well enough in the chorus, hidden behind the scenes." Fabel said. "But I have never seen you alone on stage. As an actor." He seemed bored. "The child who brought you to me has worn many faces already, had many names. We have taught her to forget herself and she has learned well. And you have come here to learn what we already know."

"I don't intend to force you from this place," Fabel said. "You can stay hidden away, one voice among many forever, for all I care." They reached the bottom, walked toward the stage. "We tell stories about men here, Ifran, not Eypharians. They do not know your theater and they do not care to know." he said. "I could have the scripts altered, make any role fit for you. But I won't. Not until I know that you are worth it."

He stopped in the pit. "What do you have to offer us that might please our visitors in the highest gallery, Ifran? What makes you worth the risk?" He motioned toward the stage. "Show me, if you can. Show me, and maybe this place can teach you what we already know."
Bedlam
Player

Office

Postby Ifran on August 13th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Ifran listened with all due respect and attention, but his face betrayed nothing. In Ahnatep, he put Ifran aside to become another person through precise control of voice and movement, his body hardened by the wielding of bronze khopeshes, the practices ones weighted to make the actual performance seem effortless and pure. One put on the mask and became the mask. Here they talked about being. He had transcended himself on stage countless times, but this was, apparently, different. It was difficult to say who Ifran was, so careful and controlled was he, but that intuitive acting and care of detail had to be translated into this art form.

Simply put, Ifran would have to fail and fail and fail only to fail again. His old master had seen him fail out in the desert or set apart in his own rehearsal hall. He had peeled away Ifran's masks to help him transcend masks. But what Fabel required of him also required that same level of trust, and Fabel had not earned that. Or, rather, he had earned it with his skill, but Ifran did not feel the same level of commitment on his part toward Ifran's training.

This was troublesome.

But he had been studying, and after nodding and stepping carefully down to the boards, he considered. Ifran wanted what Fabel was offering, so that was his objective. As a character, Ifran would do whatever he could, varying tactics, to get that objective. The same had to be said for whoever he was trying to be on stage.

Instinctively, he found the most advantageous light despite the the sole illumination coming from the false sky. He looked up, found Fabel's eyes.

"Who would you have me be, Master Fabel?"
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Bedlam on August 20th, 2011, 8:22 pm

He shook his head. "The question was, what can you do? Not what will you do. Not the same at all."

But still he answered. "I would have you be a slaver," Fabel said. "The crowd gets bored of the same old stories, and sometimes we taken them from elsewhere. A piece from Yahebah, perhaps. That's exotic, they love a little taste of that, and it keeps the actors on their toes."

"I'm sure I could get the script writers to edit one of the plays you are more familiar with, though we cannot do them as your kin might because we are somewhat short on hands." He raised his into the air and shook them, smiling. "That is what an actor is."

He eyed Ifran up and down then, acknowledging the pose he'd taken with a quirk of his eyebrow. "You are not a bad actor, Ifran. You hold yourself in the proper way, you have the right mindset. But I have so many boys and girls who have trained for so much longer, who I have known since they were too small to scheme and plot and have secrets."

"You are a stranger to us," he said, "and you bring strange risks to this playhouse. You came here to learn our art," he lounged against the stage, and suddenly the theater came alive, and they stood among the rolling noise and cheers of the pit, men and women shouting, and as the curtain rose a stream flowered through the stage, and grass sprouted from the hard wood.

This was an illusion of an illusion; they had done this play early in the day, and Ifran had been in the choir.

Fabel's voice should have been drowned out by the noise, but by trick of the illusion he heard it clear. "We are the best at what we do. To think you can learn it fast enough to be of use is arrogance. I have no need for an amateur Alvadan."

"But you have your own ways, in which you are experienced. It's why we let you stay. I am asking you to work your art as you always have. I am asking you to show us what you have brought with you. But before you do, I must know what that is." The illusion fell away, leaving only Fabel wearing an expression that was not quite a scowl.

"But if you can't tell me that, then all you ever were was a glorified choir boy."
Bedlam
Player

Office

Postby Ifran on August 21st, 2011, 6:41 am

Ifran meditated upon Fabel's words and his displays of Ionu's gift, considering how best to respond. He was arrogant, even for an Eypharian, but had earned the right to be through long years of training. That his training was not exactly in line with that of the players here was clear, but there were points where they overlapped or he would not have been able to stay, much as Fabel kept saying. The man was baiting him, but he was not some bull-hearted gladiator to go into a rage and lose all. The art of politicking was an actor's game as well, and he had been born and bred to that, suckled intrigue from his nurse's teat, the simple serving woman plotting on his behalf, for the farther his star rose, the better she would be rewarded in her old age.

The illusions were a trick, and he wanted them for his own. On the one hand, he could see a hack performer boosting their abilities with Ionu's blessing, but a trained performer could transcend themselves with such favor. Ifran wanted to disappear into his roles, whether on wooden stages or in the halls of the Pressorah's palace. And so what set him apart from a choir boy?

From the stillness, untouched by the slings and arrows of Fabel's threats and taunts, he began to sing. It was an old aria from the Eypharian opera, a slaver song in the baritone register to begin with, the High Arumenic most likely untranslatable for Fabel, but if the clever construction of the words were lost, then the pathos was not, a melodic encapsulation of a man whose own life had begun as a slave, recounting the circular motion of his life until he was the one in control even as he was blind to the things he gave up, the things he lost.

Muscles trained with weighted khopeshes and other calisthenics whipped around in stylized forms. Had he one of his khopeshes in hand, it would have looked like he meant to decapitate one of his invisible captors, but he imagined each of his six hands held the handle of a whip braided from supple leather. And each hand whirled an imagined whip and cracked it in time with the music of his voice, laying open the skin of an imagined back.

There was bitterness and violence within him, and these he poured into his voice and actions. Fabel had his illusions, but Ifran could sink himself into his imagination and make it all as real, at least for himself. With an orchestra and the full force of a theater to support him, the audience generally did as well. Were Fabel himself to walk up onto that stage and identify himself as a slave, Ifran would deal with him as such.

Reality was in the eye of the observer.

This was what he was trained to do, and he was good at it. His voice soared in ways no normal human's did, his six arms articulated with a cohesion dizzying to those with only two hands with which to work. He could move each arm individually of the others, his mind accustomed to so many extensions of its will.

For now, Ifran was a slaver. But whether Fabel believed he was a slaver or not, he didn't know. In fact, he didn't question, because there was no Fabel on the reality of the stage.
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

Postby Bedlam on November 2nd, 2011, 3:15 am

Thread Rated!

Ifran

Experience:
2 Observation
2 Rhetoric
1 Acting

Lores:
Fabel
The Crooked Playhouse

Notes:
I am incredibly sorry it took me this long to get to this in rating, and again I'd like to reiterate how badly I bungled this. I came in without a plan and started flipping out when I realized I didn't know where the thread was going.

I'd like to reiterate; if you'd like to do a thread in pursuit of something specific, come talk to me and I'll make up for my screw-up here. If not, I'll try to come up with something to make this right on my own, and drag your Ifran into something fun, and hopefully a little terrifying.

If you see anything you feel has been left out, come talk to me.
Bedlam
Player

Office