[Job Thread: Bolden] What's Yours is Mine

Auldwin has been working hard perfecting the art of thieving, but sometimes things don't always go as planned.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Auldwin on November 4th, 2011, 6:56 pm

75th of Fall, 511 AV

It was a night just like any other for the Ghost. He couldn't comment on the temperature or weather, simply because it had no real bearing on his existence. All he could determine was that the people of the Endrykas seemed well enough this evening. Things were going fairly well for Auldwin, he had refined his art since the very first night he began relieving the Endrykas goers of their worldly possessions. The first addition was the use of something to carrying the coins in. Often he simply utilized whatever was available. Often that was a cup or bowl of some type in the immediate area, nothing of great consequence. It was often better to use something inside of the pavilion he was targeting, if nothing else than to save his Soulmist for the actual attempt at thievery.

As he moved swiftly upon the ground, keeping low beneath the typical sight of any persons whom might still be awake, he found himself within the Sapphire Clans territory. The Ghost noted a plethora of tents, choosing one with a heavy blue damask. Floating to one side of the tent he listened for a moment, a technique he had picked up after a few attempts that thievery. Auldwin found it best to listen for any conversations going on, as that was a good enough reason to move along and find a better target. His mist lingered near the bottom of the south side of the tent, and after a few moments of careful auditory observation he heard nothing. Perfect.

He allowed his head to drift inside in order to gain knowledge of the layout within. It seemed the place was well kept. Incredibly kept actually, and equally as spartan. The cleanliness of it all made Auldwin think there had to be something hidden within it's fabric confines. As he moved his Soulmist more fully inside, he recognized the overall worn out nature of nearly everything inside. It was preserved as best as could be expected, but everything looked like some kind of hand-me-downs that had all congregated into one tent. How unusual. He found the sleeping place of the lone occupant, a few pillows grouped together upon the floor.

Knowing it best not to linger too long, Auldwin immediately set about looking for coins. Every tent he had infiltrated thus far had coins somewhere. Some kept them under their pillow, some kept them in their backpack, some kept them in a desk drawer. It was just a matter of finding and retrieving them. Despite the moral question of stealing, Auldwin wouldn't help but find a certain personal interest in the challenge. Goblets, a rug, typical dinner ware. There had to be something, some coins stashed somewhere. ANYWHERE. Were they perhaps...in the pockets or upon the person of that lone occupant? That would be a dangerous target, but Auldwin found himself intrigued by the opportunity. Already the temperature inside of the tent was beginning to drop, far below the ambient temperature outside, almost as if a draft had something gotten past the flap. Auldwin had to work fast.
Auldwin
In this state I can find a purpose.

Words: 166853
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2011, 11:48 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bolden Denusk on November 10th, 2011, 5:14 pm

"Ok Nightwind, get some rest now." Bolden said to his strider, approaching his tent. It was getting toward winter and he'd be glad for a bit a warmth on the cool night.

The young Drykas opened the tent flap and shivered at the sudden drop in temperature. 'Why the hells is it colder in here than outside?!' he wondered. That is, until he saw something, no someone in the back corner through the second archway.

"Hey! Who the petch are you and what are you doing in my home?!" called out Bold, putting a hand on his sword.
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Auldwin on November 11th, 2011, 11:01 pm

When that voice rang out through the night for the first time Auldwin felt himself freeze. Immediately he was met with a quandary, did he blink away, or stay? He could see the man that had entered the tent, and given the words he spoke it was easy to tell that the man was the occupant of the well kept but slightly dated pavilion. Perhaps that meant that the coins were instead kept upon the man himself. Pulling coins from an actual person was a bit too risky, and was not something he had ever attempted in the past. Auldwin didn't exactly think he had the ability to successfully trying something so brazen as well.

Better to confront the man than to have him go off getting drunk at some tavern and have him telling everyone his story about the strange mist cloud inside of his pavilion. "I am a wanderer." Auldwin replied, his voice projecting from the center of his mist, although within the confines of the tent it had an unusual echoed reverberation to it. "I wander throughout the Endrykas. Not having dealt with traditional walls for many years I am a bit strained on customary entry into a dwelling." he said in common, hoping the home owner could understand it. If Auldwin had to explain himself in Pavi he could, just not as articulately.

"During my travels I go through many places, but I find myself always drawn to the Endrykas." That much was admittedly true. As the place of his death, Auldwin found himself somehow unable to get away from the roaming encampment. Especially now, as it was the anniversary of the season in which Auldwin met his demise. The beauty of the fall was marred by the painful reminder that it was the very last season Auldwin would ever get to experience fully. Now, as a Ghost, all he could do was watch the change in the landscape, and see those with flesh and blood around him prepare for the winter. The striking cold would never again touch his skin.

"You see..." the Ghost continued, now rising up from the ground fully into a more coherent shape of a man, his long dark hair falling to his shoulders like a plume of smoke created from the base of his scalp, "...this is the place where I died, those years ago. Out here, in the Sea of Grass. Now, although my body is gone and I can never have it back, the memories of this place remain, unable to be withdrawn from my mind. It was fall back then too, and the thoughts of the Endrykas obsess within me."
Auldwin

Character sheet

Postby Bolden Denusk on November 12th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Silence answered him with a heavy pause in the icy cold of the darkened tent. Bolden shivered as he listened for an answer, the quiet so loud it made his head ache. He blinked as he saw his breath -inside his very own tent! Nerves stretched taut with tension, he jumped at the abrupt sound of an answering voice that definitely wasn't Drykas.

Someone spoke in common, which he understood poorly at best. He tried to understand but could only pick out the word 'wanderer' and 'entry.' The Drykas was uneasy enough at an intruder in his home, but one that couldn't even speak decent Pavi made him doubly unnerved.

Although he wasn't the best Drykas warrior, he still drew out his sword quickly at the first sign of movement in a heavily shadowed corner. The ominous hiss of steel as the weapon left the scabbard was reassuring in and of itself. An icy bead of fear trickled down his spine and he held out the sword threateningly before him. Bolden spoke in commanding Pavi, with appropriate gestures despite the dim surroundings.

"Speak plainly and make yourself known, thief! No honest Drykas would enter another man's tent without permission or family."
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Auldwin on November 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Auldwin had to stop and think for a moment. Luckily the Ghost could understand Pavi for the most part, he wasn't exactly fluent in it, but hanging around the lands of the Drykas on and off for several years had given him the capacity to at least speak and understand it to some degree. This Drykas was a sharp one, and bold at that. It appeared he had little hesitation when entering the situation with his sword, even at the phenomenal drop in temperature happening inside of his own tent. At that kind of forceful personality Auldwin began to think to himself, 'What should I do?' Make himself known, that was what this Drykas wanted, wasn't it? Very well.

"I am not Drykas." the Ghost responded in Pavi, moving up directly in front of Bolden. Auldwin had very little fear of direct retaliation these days, as most who slashed at him would find their weapons simply passing through his Soulmist with little effect. There were those that could alter weaponry in order to damage his kind, but he had not seen those types of weapons as of yet. Magery was rare enough as well, and even those with power against the undead found little sway with Auldwin. The Ghost wasn't undead after all, he was plain old dead, just retaining some type of existence despite that little set back.

"You can put down sword, has not meaning for me." he continued, a word here and there was out of place, especially considering the emphasis on physical gestures that the Pavi placed upon their language. "I exist in Endrykas, but not recognized. You not understand but will." What happened next was indescribable to anyone whom had not experienced it. Auldwin moved past Bolden to exit the tent, but not around him. The Ghost moved THROUGH him. In that moment the icy touch felt like prickling electricity. Some described it as parts of their body feeling as if they had fallen asleep. There was no possibility of injury as Auldwin's Soulmist didn't have that kind of power yet, but the discomfort was present.
Auldwin

Character sheet

Postby Bolden Denusk on November 16th, 2011, 10:53 pm

The man spoke but his hand gestures and body language were awkward and badly placed. He wasn't kidding about not being Drykas. That still left no answer to the main question of a stranger in his tent. A thief. He held out the sword firmly, not letting the man come any closer.

"I have a question for you Outsider. Are you thief--"

Before he could finish the question, the guy moved THROUGH him! The young Drykas staggered back at the bizarre and terrifying sensation, barely stopping himself from falling backwards. He shook his head, much like a horse's gesture to shake off flies, and whirled around.

"You! But-I! What the petch are you besides a thief?!" His hands visibly shook and he struggled keep a grip on the sword. His eyes widened in terror as his thoughts answered his own question. The sword clanged to the ground as it dropped from nerveless fingers.

"Ggghost!" He stammered, his lips going white. "You're a ghost!"
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Auldwin on November 18th, 2011, 7:09 pm

As cliche as it was, Auldwin had to admit that sometimes actions spoke louder than words. How often did you get a Ghost passing through you? Traveling from point A to point B, like a drifter moving through a town. Only the town was your body and the tingling sensation the drifter left behind was so otherworldly that, unless you had experienced it before, it was enough to make most men freeze in place, even if just for a moment. It certainly got the point across though, didn't it? Where Auldwin sometimes struggled with the verbal tongue of the Drykas, a little supernatural interaction and things were set straight. Could a Ghost be a thief? Would a Ghost want to be a thief? Could a Ghost even use the things they thieved?

Auldwin could only hope those thoughts would eventually invade Bolden's mind. Auldwin was a thief, there was no doubting that, but he was the only Ghostly thief he had ever heard of, and considering the time he spent in Black Rock, Auldwin had met more Ghosts than most. Ghosts outside of Black Rock never really had property or possessions, but in a place like Black Rock some had entire storefronts. One of them even made ice cream for the children! Of course the ice cream was of...questionable quality, but the very idea left an impression into Auldwin's mind that it was possible to become someone as a Ghost. To become something more than this lingering shade of a man.

Auldwin didn't even turn after he passed through Bolden, the shape of his mist simply changed from back to front, his face appearing where the back of his head had once been. Three dimensional mist with a somewhat definite shape was a strange thing to behold. One could make out pictures in the clouds, but those clouds were so high above that the onlooker rarely saw more than one side. Now, this cloud, this mist was in front of Bolden, taking shapes and interacting with him. It left Auldwin to wonder though, just who's tent had he happened upon?

"Yes, I am." Auldwin remarked, floating aimlessly about. The mist faded mostly below his hips, obscuring the area where his legs would have been. "I am not Drykas. I call Cyphrus my home." Holding out his palm, a narrow tendril of Soulmist shot out and encircled itself around Bolden's sword before retracting the item into Auldwin's incorporeal hand. Tossing the blade in a way that would have been most dangerous for someone made of flesh and blood, he caught the weapon by the edge and held the hilt out for Bolden, "Have not seen many Ghosts in Cyphrus then?" Auldwin seemed comfortable with this interaction, considering the horror of the person he was interacting with.
Auldwin

Character sheet

Postby Bolden Denusk on November 21st, 2011, 8:23 pm

'A Gods damned ghost in my tent!' he thought frantically, not even hearing that his sword had dropped. He watched his own breath frost over and it made him more nervous. For the life of him he couldn't breathe normally or calm his racing pulse. His heart hammered at the inside of his ribs as if trying to get out and an icy bead of sweat trickled down his spine.

Bold wrestled with his fear, trying to make some sense out of a crazy situation like this.

"Well it's obvious you're a ghost and now you admit you're a thief. Why would you try to steal things then? A ghost isn't supposed to need or want anything, I don't think. Why aren't you in the ground or with the Goddesses or something?"

The Drykas' questions just seemed to fly out of him as soon as he thought them and the words tumbled over each other like a pair of colts learning to run. When he grasped the returned sword, it was so cold he couldn't stop the shivering it caused. He took a few steps back from the icy ghost, attempting to will the raised hair on his arms to lie flat again.

"No I can't say I've ever seen a ghost before. Anywhere."

A half idea formed in his mind and it shone with hope. What if this ghost could identify and talk to his dead mother? Then Bolden could finally know who she was! Cautiously, he asked,

"Can ghosts just.. talk to ..uh.. anyone they want to? Like other ghosts?"
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Auldwin on November 22nd, 2011, 6:31 am

Auldwin's facial expression folded somewhat. Getting his ideas across to this man was going to be difficult, especially considering his mind polluted with the excitement from meeting a Ghost. The more Drykas spoke, the more Auldwin realized that perhaps excitement wasn't the correct term for this reaction to seeing a Ghost. Still, those were good questions from someone who didn't know how the phenomena of being a Ghost worked. It wasn't exactly common knowledge, as Auldwin found out the moment he died. He'd never imagine he'd have to learn how to exist all over again. Wasn't being dead supposed to be a relief in some way?

"We don't. Not taken anything, as you can see. Where I hide it?" the Ghost lifted his hands up in the air. His Ghostly body was wearing clothing, and at first perhaps one could potentially imagine him placing items within the folds of his jacket. Until they realized that his jacket, along with everything else about him had no material substance and was completely translucent. Looking at the world through his Soulmist made it blur, but it was still perceivable through him, as if watching everything through a glass of water. The background just past his form blurred and bent in odd directions, shifting at times from the mercurial nature of the mist composing his shape.

"Body is in the ground. Somewhere. Long ago I died in Sea of Grass. What God I go to? Dira? Not ready yet. Things to do. Must fine Ghost that killed me." how ironic that probably sounded. A Ghost creating a Ghost. Sometimes Auldwin wondered if that was the entire plan of the spirit that took his body over and subsequently had it dismembered by roaming Glassbeaks. Just the thought was appealing enough for Auldwin to usher it out as quickly as he could. No use taking the time to think about it now.

Bolden's next question was the strangest yet. Could a Ghost talk with another Ghost? Of course! "Ghost speak with Ghost? Yes, if speak their language in life. I know many Ghosts." Auldwin admitted, considering when he wasn't in Endrykas he spent his time in Black Rock, which easily had the largest concentration of Ghosts in all Mizahar. Or at least the largest that Auldwin knew of. He had met all sorts of Ghosts there, most of which still carried the same names they had in life. Realistically there were Ghosts everywhere. Out in the Suvan, here in the Endrykas, probably even back home at Syliras. Most just kept their existence a more covert secret than Auldwin. Auldwin didn't go flashing his Ghostly presence around much, but as time passed he was becoming more comfortable with meeting and interacting with the living. These days he was actually able to truly touch their realm, even if it was only for a short time, and with limited effects.

"Many Ghosts attracted to Soulmist. Much Soulmist in Black Rock, so many Ghosts in Black Rock. Dira in Black Rock, and Ghosts feel pull there. Can talk with anyone, Ghost or not. Talking to you now, yes?" he tried to reason with Bolden, and it was all he could do to hope he was getting somewhere.
Auldwin

Character sheet

Postby Bolden Denusk on November 23rd, 2011, 8:46 pm

Feeling a bit foolish, he sheathed the sword and listened to Auldwin speak. The voice didn't seem to have any particular origin despite the misty form he took. Could ghosts still have gender when they didn't have life? Were ghosts more it than he or she? More importantly could he trust the word of a ghost?

He kept his nervous gaze roaming between the spirit and the tent opening, ready to drop all pride and run if it came to that. His Pavi was broken but Bolden could at least understand. Well he got most of what the ghost said. It made sense too. How could a ghost steal anything if they weren't solid, living, breathing creatures right? Just when he was about to let his guard down a little and dismiss the notion, Auldwin spoke again.

"A ghost killed you?! I thought your kind was only vapor, see through stuff! How could it kill you if you if it can't even touch you? Did it freeze you to death?"

The young Drykas still had his doubts, but knew that if that ..that thing was a thief, he'd certainly find nothing to steal here. Son of the heir to the Ankal or not, he had no physical wealth. A few coins in his boot for the rare times he needed to use money, but most certainly not a fortune.

When the ghost answered his question, hope filled his expression almost to bursting, his emotions plain and clear.

"My mother... she died giving birth to me and I really need to know who she was. I can't get married or figure out my family connections until I know who she was. I'd give anything, everything, to know who she is."

Bolden's words were simple, but the emotions behind the statement were a frenzy of intensity. The young Drykas pinned Auldwin with a piercing stare, desperately willing the ghost to help him. There was nothing he wouldn't give to know his real mother. Nothing.
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next