Animal Companion Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Bjorn Grimdark on November 26th, 2011, 4:21 am

I have been thinking about having a companion for Bjorn. Now, as i looked at the price list, there are dogs listed as companion/ guard/ etc, with the prices displayed as to the purpose the animal would serve. The confusing part about this is that there were prices listed next to the different breeds of dogs as well. My main question is, which price tag should i pay? Does the price of the dogs breed get added to the dog's purpose?

To that end, what possibility is there for mixed breeds? Perhaps a Inganu Deepwoods Dog mixed with a wolf, or the like?

And finally, my last general confusion is about Animal Husbandry. All of this stuff should fall under that skill, but i am not sure how the skill should play in the relationship and training of the animal. If anyone could help with this stuff, i'd much appreciate it.
Blessed Is The Man Who Resist Temptation, Though Rewarded Is The Man Who Gives In.
Bjorn Grimdark
The Grimdark Guy

Words: 7026
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Growl on November 26th, 2011, 4:25 am

Um... I know that in some areas the price of various dog types would differ based off availability, etc. I know that you are more likely to be able to tame a dog based off your level of animal husbandry. (And take proper care of it, etc). However, I have seen several people buy/tame dogs without AH points. But this would be very, very difficult to do. If you have no points, or a low level, you should try to play to this. Know your pc is going to act on instincts, and generally, not know what he is doing/much about it.

I can't tell you what price to pay, and would suggest talking to the local DS.

I think some people start with them as an heirloom, or part of a starting package. I just don't know specifics, and if you need to subtract more money from your ledger or something.

Growl
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Darian on November 26th, 2011, 4:34 am

Although asked in chat, I'm more than happy to answer this to the best of my ability here. Know that my word is not absolute and fueled by fully comprehensive knowledge that the awesome founders possess but here is my take on your question.

Yes, you could very well possibly get a half breed dog, that had somewhere along it's line breed with a wolf. You could very well get a wolf for that matter. How you would go about getting them though is:

A: Make a submission to the Price List Addition Request Thread and appropriately simulate yourself purchasing the young pup, or at the very least remarking on it or describing it in your CS.

B: You could try to find a dog breeder to get you said mixed breed dog.

As for the Animal Husbandry thing..

Simple, buy the wolf as a pup, make sure to get a book or two on raising, but sense such things are rare in most places, I'd advise getting some advice from a breeder wether it is a NPC or not is up to you. Then simply go about raising the pup through numerous threads with trial and errors of course cause no one likes to see someone succeed every time and remember the golden rule, content is better than length so don't feel pressured to make every thread a novel when training the adorable bloodthirsty pup. Do the same for training the animal, and caring for it and you don't necessarily have to work on healing unless you want to save on some mizas. You can skip breeding all together if you don't want to make a business of it but note that it will stunt your Animal Husbandry level at a certain point for you can't get better by doing the same things over and over when you already know perfectly well how to do them. Hope this helps, and you have much fun with your future animal companion! :)
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on November 26th, 2011, 7:47 am

Here's the deal.

Costs are as listed in Dogs while mixed breeds would be roughly half because price listed is for purebreds. Trained animals would cost more. Dogs are easy to work with and tend to want to please their masters especially if raised by their masters. You probably can't get a book on dog training.

Wolf crosses and full wolves are not domestic animals and should not be treated as such. Wolf crosses are put to death in the US at a very high frequency each year because people try to treat them as dogs and they are in fact wild animals and act thusly - not human companions.

This is the same for any animal that is a WILD animal and not a domestic animal (dorks with pet jaguars etc)... there is no controlling them. Wild animals are wild animals in Mizahar exactly like they are in the real world. Pets and domesticated animals, like the drykas hunting cats, exist better alongside pets because of the very fact they've been domesticated for a while.

You need animal husbandry to work with any sort of animal. Period. If you work with horses, you can substitute horsemanship which is just more specialized animal handling.

Thanks.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)