[Skill] Combat Experiance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Tion on January 13th, 2012, 4:37 am

Heya'll!

I was reading up on how combat between players vs players are done and a thought came to me. They describe a lot about how diffrent weapon skills and writing a good, detailed post would make you more likley to succed with your combat actions. But what about actual combat experiance?

A squire who have trained his whole life with shield and weapon in a secure enviorment should still be able to lose against a thug who have experiance with fighting and killing people even if he have a much lower weapon skill due to the lack of real training.

The "normal" squire who might never been in combat before should freeze for a moment when attacked, suprised and scared of sudden hostile situation. In a "fair" fight (a duel) the squire might be composed and and use his skills to his full potential, but in a dark alley suddenly facing two robbers from diffrent directions he would probably not know what to do and.

While the thug might not be as elegant in a fight, relying more on brute force, he should with his experiance be able to act quicker and see strategic advantages or disadvanages were an unexperianced person would not. He would most likley rush one of the oppenents trying to come in a position were here can face the robbers from one direction.

So feel free to post your thoughts about if combat experiance should be a made into a skill or if it should be enough with the skills that exist and writing ability.

PS. My main reason for a combat experiance skill is to make it easier for Storytellers to make decisions on what a player succeed or fail with in a combat situation
Tion
Hunter

Words: 7560
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Zygaud on January 13th, 2012, 4:43 am

Personally I feel that would simplify fighting a bit too much. As it stands, the particular set of skills you use for fighting and defending can be matched up with those used by the opponent and compared stat-wise then judged by skill and the actual outcome RP-wise.

So, I agree with the theory but don't feel it's necessary.
Denial is the road to self destruction.
Zygaud
Magic Monkey

Words: 21437
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet