Memories: Archery (Flashback)

Two years after his brother's death, Jeremiah finds himself practicing archery in the back yard much like he did the day after Draven's body was sent out to sea. (Short Archery training)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Jeremiah DraDerex on December 14th, 2011, 4:58 am

Summer 23 505AV

It had been three years since Draven had passed away and a year ago before his presence was known to the entire family. Jeremiah had explored and studied in the craft of Spiritism and knew his brother’s presence was still in the house, even as the family mourned for their son. Draven had succumbed to an illness and denied any medicinal or magical assistance to cure the illness. It was against his religion and personal moral to. If it was his time to die, then it was his time to go. The bleak outlook didn’t go over well between their parents, who felt that they had done something wrong. Jeremiah and Draven both explained and comforted them with their beliefs. It was bitter sweet when Draven finally passed. Jeremiah mourned less then his parents, instead he coped with the temporary loss by celebration. The day that followed the death, Jeremiah went out to the woods and practiced archery. That is when he felt the presence wash over his body, it felt cold and he knew it was a ghost.

Within his head he heard a voice, “This is your brother, Draven.”

It was at that moment Jeremiah knew his brother had held his promise the two made many years ago. The sun shined through the forest much like the day after Draven’s death. Jeremiah stood shaded from the warm sun dressed in his usual attire of just a loincloth, that wrapped around his waist like a skirt. It had been decorated with crude drawings, possibly done by Jeremiah himself.

“I’m glad mom and dad accepted our belief system. Besides you are here now, they have a complete set of kids again,” Jeremiah spoke seemingly to himself.

“Yeah, except one of those kid’s bodies is out at sea under water while the other is still alive and kicking.” A disembodied voice came from the forest.

Jeremiah had a short bow and an arrow ready to be drawn, aimed, and fired. His arms began to draw the arrow back while he took aim at a target they had made together several years ago. His eyes focused on the center of the target and watched as the arrow’s aim moved up and down with his breath. He finally found a position that allowed his arrow to cross the white. He breathed in and began to exhale slowly and when the white had lined up just right, he loosened his fingers and let the arrow fly. The arrow embedded itself a few inches below the bulls eye and Jeremiah sighed.

“It doesn’t matter where the body is, your mind is still with you. Your memories are still there and your purpose as a ghost as well. You are here to aid me till I die myself.” Jeremiah reached for the quiver on his back and pulled out a second arrow.

He took the same position as he did before and took aim once again. He didn’t change anything from the first shot and took in an inhale. As he exhaled he waited for the same picture as the first time and fired. The arrow once again didn’t hit the bulls eye but instead embedded itself near the other tightly.

Draven snickered at Jeremiah’s shot, “You didn’t adjust your shot?”

“Nope,” Jeremiah sighed and reached for a third arrow, “I figure if you get two arrows close together in a shot, your form is not at fault like myself. Instead my timing is off. I need to release the arrow sooner.”

Jeremiah looked over his shoulder as he felt a strand of Draven’s soul mist touch his shoulder. Draven looked exactly like Jeremiah, Draven had chosen to age even in the afterlife. Draven moved away and stood to the side of Jermiah as he began to load and draw back the arrow once more. Jeremiah took aim and breathed calmly again. He waited until the focus of his aim was just above the white of the bullseye before he released. The arrow flew true and hit the bottom edge of the bulls eye.

Draven whistled, “Now if that was an animal, that would be a kill. Though you need to practice on speed.”

“In time brother. Right now I gotta make sure my form is right, speed will come later I’d assume.”

Draven chuckled, “I taught myself differently, but if that is the way you want to do it then be my guest.”

Jeremiah grunted and loaded another arrow and drew back. He came down on the target just as he did before. He fired the arrow and it landed close, almost two arrow shafts, away from the other. Jeremiah didn’t say anything, instead he held the position for a long while. Draven could see his muscles were flexed in that position almost as if he had been possessed and froze the ghost’s movements. Soon Jeremiah broke position and walked toward the target.

“What were you doing?” Draven moved with his brother curiously.

“I was remembering the position I had been in. It helps if I flex my muscles and remember which ones I felt flexed the most.” Jeremiah pulled the arrows from the bundle of grass and shrubbery.

“Okay, well what good is that going to be if you are moving or your target is on the run?” Jeremiah slid the arrows back into his quiver before he started to walk back to his spot before.

“Simple, I follow the movement with my entire body and wait for a similar picture as the one I see while I shoot at a target. At least that is what I’d do in theory, but if I were to actually hunt I’d probably stand in wait until a satisfying shot becomes available. But for right now, you want to see speed?”

Jeremiah pulled an arrow from his quiver and loaded the bow. He kept the arrow pointed down toward the forest floor before he took aim and fired. His shot wasn’t as perfect as the ones that he took his time with, but it was still close none the less. Jeremiah didn’t give much time between that first shot before he drew a second arrow. He threaded it on and took aim again before he fired. It was a surprise to Draven as the arrow seemed to embed itself close to the first arrow.

Jeremiah paused and grinned, “Not quite a kill but it will do for now.”

Jeremiah DraDerex
Player

Words: 32530
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 1:07 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Paragon on January 14th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Jeremiah :
Jeremiah

Skill XP Reward
Spiritism +2
Shortbow +2

Lore: Shortbow: Timing of the Shot, Shortbow: Finding the Right Position

Other: N/A

Interesting little flashback - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)