Traveling Time?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Traveling Time?

Postby Reihn on April 5th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Hey,

I was wondering about what sort of traveling time would seem reasonable in Mizahar.

For each season, a character has 91 or 92 days to "play" with . . .

So, for example, if a character wanted to do an RP in the Spires and also an RP in Syliras within the same season, would this work?

I realize that the character must have a reason for making the long travel.

And I understand the dating of roleplays, etc.

But exactly how many days (on average) on foot, would it take a character to travel across an entire region?

30 days, 40 days . . . 60 days . . . 100 days?

Obviously it will depend on the character's pace, yadda, yadda. But, it's important to at least have some idea exactly how large the continent is, because you can't really tell from the maps provided alone.

I'm just curious if it's possible for a character to post in two different regions within the same season (the first portion of the season be in region A, while the last part of the season be in region B, with a bunch of travel time in between).
Reihn
Scholar at Heart

Words: 6366
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2009, 11:22 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Traveling Time?

Postby Liminal on April 5th, 2010, 9:50 pm

If I might, allow me to refer you to the Distance Chart. It's right around 6,000 miles from Sunberth to Wind Reach.

Spires to Syliras is 2,000 miles as a straight line. Roads in Taloba and Kalea are questionable at best, and there's no ship route between the cities. Unless you've got something awfully fast as a mount, it would surprise me if you could be in both places in the same season.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Traveling Time?

Postby Reihn on April 5th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Wow.

Okay, thnx a bunch Liminal. I somehow never saw the distance chart.

Very helpful.

My bad.
Reihn
Scholar at Heart

Words: 6366
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2009, 11:22 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Traveling Time?

Postby Miharu Mindi on April 6th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Also, I believe the established travel times for the distances listed is as follows:

On a flat plain with no geographical impediments, traveling for 12 hours, you can cover 50 miles on foot and 80-100 miles on a horse. Note that those are the maximums, so if your characters stops for meals, or only travels ten hours, or is crossing mountains or swamps or snow-covered tracts in Taldera or something, it would be less. :)

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook