[Solicah's Scrapbook] Moondirge

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Solicah on January 22nd, 2012, 2:33 am

Moondirge Pavilion
"A blood driven by tradition, and bound together by our tapestry of magic.
There is no stronger, nor more bitter truth than death.
Death claims us all in the grasslands, in this endless sea soaked with our blood.
And, there is no more undeniable honor than to serve this truth. To deliver our brethren to that soil."
- A Moondirge Priest

The priests and priestesses of the Moondirge Pavilion, acolytes of the moon god Leth, devote their existence solely to family. A family woven together through time by the mystical tapestry that all Drykas weave. They do not see family as simply the Moondirge Pavilion, but as the Endrykas nation as a whole. For they believe that despite their people's current Pavilion, all have fought together to survive numerous lives past. All have loved and hated as true family. And, all have laid down their lives within the grasslands to ready the soil for their successors. From this devotion springs their ever growing traditions. Traditions that the Moondirge would lay their lives down to preserve. Life is temporary and expendable, but one's actions and teachings are everlasting. The soul will return again, and will have to live in a world forged by it's former actions, guided only by it's former teachings. Teachings passed down in the form of the ever sacred traditions. The traditions that form a complete tapestry, each thread preserving it's integrity, not one thread is expendable. Not like life.

When these lives are inevitably laid down, be it in their Pavilion or another, the Moondirge take it upon themselves to fasten the souls of their family to the web, so that they may return and see what glorious world their sacrifice had made. And so, in this cycle of life they immerse themselves completely, more so than any other Pavilion. This immersion precedes them, their devotion lending a weight to the Pavilion's name. All in Endrykas know of the Moondirge Pavilion, for all in Endrykas have felt the pain of calling upon them. For nearly two hundred and fifty years the Pavilion has focused upon their duties to their people, and are thus known for their rites. Though most loath to call upon them, all respect their place in society. And many Ankal will entrust them with the crucial job of securing their Pavailion's lost to the web, even over their own mages.

Scrapbooks can be for anything, and I would like this one to be for the Moondirge Pavilion. It is my baby, my creation. And, I am very excited to see it develop. In this scrapbook for the Pavilion I'll post some links and background to some of the more relevant threads to the Pavilion, profiles on the major NPCs in the Pavilion's past and present as they arise in threads, and of course showcases for the PCs that are in or join the Pavilion. In addition to this, I might add some extras here and there about the Pavilion and any plots or PCs that encounter it.

What I would love from you guys is any questions you have about the Pavilion, compliments, or suggestions for what to add. What I don't want to see is criticism, or concerns. Such as if you see anything that does not match with pre-established Mizahar lore or protocol. I am interested in hearing these concerns, but please PM me with them. I will edit anything that is wrong.

P.S.: Any submission of images, poems, or music pertaining to dirges burial rites the moon or of course horses will win you major brownie points! Please post them I'd love to see!
Solicah
Player

Words: 92915
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2012, 4:55 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Solicah on January 23rd, 2012, 8:13 pm

Children of The Pavilion: Nakila
"I have more mothers and brothers and fathers and sisters
than anybody could ever ask for. Why would I be sad about that?"
- Nakila

Though there are likely much more influential aspects/NPCs of the Pavilion to write about, I just couldn't pass up a chance to do a write-up on this little joy! I have been wanting to do a general write-up on the children of the Pavilion since posting the scrapbook. Originally I was going to introduce them all in one post, but I feel at least Nakila here deserves her own special spot.

Nakila's story is of both tragedy, and triumph even at such a young age. The perfect example of how harsh the Grasslands are, and unforgiving even to the youngest of children. Born in Autumn 506 (seen in the picture above in 509) she lost her parents within a year of birth. Mother tragically in labor, and father to illness and depression months later. Nakila found herself alone in the world with no siblings, passed around between the members of the Pavilion, none being able to take her in permanently as their own.

Many of the Pavilion expected the child to become melancholy and distant, for as an infant she was reluctant to feed and showed no true attachment to any one nurse. This worsened by the Moondirge's believed tendency toward the morose and depression. Nakila proved their worries vein, however, as she grew into a loveable and optimistic child. Easily excitable, and known for her infectious smile. She has been one of the centers of joy in the Pavilion, as she wanders around from family to family. She has in all truth become a daughter, and sister to all of the Pavilion.

Nakila, though introduced in the same thread as the rest of the Moondirge children had a bit of an unexpected conception. Like most of the Pavilion thus far I can't quite place if she is my brainchild or Kelaugh's. I suppose the answer is simply both. Kelaugh made a small note that Solicah was still speaking with Elia (Kelaugh's mother) which I misread or was mistyped before edition as Nakila in one of her posts, but never made an introduction for the adorable young tyke. In my confusion I introduced her in the following post, and her history just bloomed forth with no effort. I think her creation ran surprisingly smoothly in the end despite her abnormal origin. Another addition to the long list of reasons I love creating with Kelaugh, our creative energies run so smoothly together, and her easy going attitude just lets everything fall into place perfectly (Even when she isn't trying!.) So here Nakila is, spark of inspiration from Kelaugh, and incubated by yours truly.

Nakila's story does not end there, however. Some might be upset to hear this, but her jovial nature isn't everlasting nor untested. As she grows older she will begin to notice her separation from the rest of the Pavilion. The Moondirge hold infinite value in family, and the family unit. Though they may all love Nakila, she is still a drain on the resources of those that did not sire her. Nakila will battle with this conflict for most of her early years. If somebody does not emerge to guide her she may even fall to that depression. I very much look forward to future threads where we can see Nakila and her beautiful story unfold.
Solicah
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Solicah on January 26th, 2012, 7:40 am

Burial Rite
"Forever. Forever. Our spirits remain forever.
To the earth, to the soil, to the land we walk,
in Semele's embrace, entwined in the Web of life.
Let their spirits walk free. Let them roam the great Sea."
- A Moondirge Priestess

by Ronan Windsong

By far the most important ritual of the Moondirge Pavilion. The Burial Rite, or Cairn Ceremony as some prefer to call it, is not unique to the Moondirge Pavilion, though their dedication and expertise of the ceremony is. When a Moondirge child chooses to undertake the process of learning to navigate the Webbing upon the Sea of Grass, one of the first and most thorough lessons they learn is Webbing's part in the Burial Rite. And, every Moondirge knows how to perform at least one role within the Rite. This being taught to them no older than the age of eight, when it becomes frequent for the children to be brought to the Rites, until their coming of age when they are free to choose which Ceremonies to accept attendance to. Though refusal to attend does not come without a payment of pride for these Drykas.

The Moondirge honorably perform this Rite for both their Pavilion, and any other which will have them. Groups of the Pavilion's priests and priestesses will travel great distances, if requested, to lay Drykas to rest in the location the deceased's Ankal wishes. Groups of the Pavilion's warriors often will except requests to retrieve the corpses of another Pavilion's fallen; their warrior's often equipped with webbing of sufficient talent to locate corpses even months, sometimes years old. In addition to these services, the Moondirge will, on request of an Ankal, give their time and wisdom in the matter of death to the loved ones of the deceased, all in the form of comfort and grief counseling. The Ankal of the Pavilion's often render monetary or resource related reciprocation in addition to their payment of gratitude and respect to the Moondirge Pavilion for these services, though no payment is ever required or requested.

I was very excited to do my first thread of this particular Rite, and it's success is truthfully what has gotten me so interested in writing about the rest of the Pavilion's rituals. For those of you who don't already know, I've been working on a project with Kelaugh, and soon the new members of the Pavilion, to write up a thread on all of the holidays, rituals, ceremonies, and traditions of the Moondirge Pavilion. A large project, no doubt, but one we approach with great excitement and undaunting energy.

Luke, player of Ronan Windsong, wrote opposite myself and Solicah in this beautiful example of the Burial Rite. In the thread, taking place in 500 AV, the fifteen year old man (in Drykas terms) Ronan finds himself an orphan only twelve seasons after he lost his only sibling. The scene is a beautiful representation of both the effects of the Ritual upon the family left behind, and what it truly means to be a Moondirge child. If I were to pick any scene to define the Moondirge Pavilion, it would hands down be this one. (And, I don't see that changing any time soon.) So, if you have any interest in the Pavilion, here is two pages you won't regret reading.
Solicah
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Ronan on January 26th, 2012, 2:57 pm

:)
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Words: 305663
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Solicah on February 29th, 2012, 12:15 pm

The Storm

The mighty Sea of Grass was not exempt from the destructive aftermath of Ivak's escape in the spring of 512. The Wild Djed Storm tore across the grasslands with a furry none among the Drykas could remember from the days of old. Their only protection being the warnings of the Konti, carried to them upon the words of the Akalak from Riverfall, and their own organization, granted by their mastery of the web beneath them all. And even that would be brought to devastation before the storm.

With staggering speed Endrykas citizens prepared, fleeing into their long forsaken subterranean sanctuary, bulwarked against the brunt of the calamity which once came daily upon their lands from above. Though with little supplies, they, through might of perseverance and strength of spirit, survived the following days and nights, which bled without evidence together in the soil's darkness.
Not all Pavilions were as lucky as the Moondirge to have been tucked securely under the protective wing of Endrykas when the warnings arrived. Many of the outcropping, and detached Pavilions were completely annihilated, or severely damaged by the wild djed which filled their lands.

The fates of those that were close, but not within Endrykas faced a much less definite fate in the final hours leading to the storm's arrival. Many of the Endrykas citizens set out upon their Striders, hoping to assist the endangered Pavilions, racing for sanctuary. A handful of these heroes were of the Moondirge Pavilion, their Ankal allowing only their fastest riders to go. Nearly all of which and their Striders were caught, and killed, within the storm before they could return.

Death was not the only tragedy that befell the Endrykas people, and the Moondirge Pavilion. Many Webbers had their souls ripped from their bodies as the Storm arrived, as countless Stiders and Drykas were severed from one another on the surface. Most impactful to the Moondirge Pavilion was the loss of several of their Priest and Priestesses' magic, sent asunder in the wicked winds of the storm as they attempted to help the lagging Pavilions above.

Image Most notably of which was their prized Stormwarden, KalieahImage, who was stripped of her hearing for the wind, and separated for a short time from Zulrav. Though her gnosis still shows true upon her skin, she has been left vacant of all magical connection. She can not hear Zulrav, and she can not connect to the Web, leaving her powerless and on the verge of a deep depression which may swallow her whole.

These are not the only challenges that the Moondirge face in the seasons following the god's escape. The Moondirge Pavilion made their foundation upon the wake of bodies left by the Valterian, and the aftermath left within the Sea of Grass. And now, the Moondirge are challenged again by those same duties that gave them birth. Countless Drykas lay dead upon the Sea of Grass, and with the web torn open like a deep wound within their nation, allowing souls to pour through the cracks, lost from the Grasslands forever. Even more are the numbers of Drykas unaccounted for, possibly still clinging to life without webbing out in the Grasslands, alone, and isolated.

The Moondirge Pavilion responds to this tragedy with bravery, and dedication. Along with unwavering energy and passion which they derive from Leth's grace and love of their people. All Moondirge begin to hold Burial Rites, not only for their own lost but that of the entire Endrykas nation. All while the more martially capable Moondirge scour outward along the ravished Sea of Grass in search of the fallen, and those that are still holding on to their existence. As well as being charged with the long term responsibility of rebuilding the shattered web upon their lands, to ensure further generation shall have a place to rest, and be granted the privileged of returning to their home in the next life.
Solicah
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook