Bury your hate, brandish your fate [Solo]

Elhaym's return to Lhavit heralds change, both in her city and in herself

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Elhaym on February 2nd, 2012, 11:12 am

70th Day of Winter, 511 AV

Lhavit was glowing. Radiant light danced from every surface as if Syna herself stood but inches away, but that was simply Lhavit. A pair of dark eyes took in the city... her city. As familiar as it was foreign, as much the same as it was changed, yet still her city. She strode forward through the the Amaranthine Gate with purpose, dust falling from her travel-worn robes and armor with every step. What was once a brilliant sky blue was now a faded and stained gray, the sleek hardened leather armor of a Shinya patrolling Kalea battered and worn. Even her blade seemed weary, showing it’s dingy fatigue within it’s black lacquered sheath at her left hip. She had not made fifteen paces into the city before a familiar voice sounded, and a light touch felt upon her shoulder.

“I see you had the good grace not to die after all. Zintila be praised Elhaym, I’d thought you dead for months.”

Elhaym turned slowly as Tomo’s arm retracted, taking in the sight of one of her few friends. Even he had changed, but not for the worse. A boy’s face had become a man’s, course black hair and a finely trimmed black beard eradicating the memory of her youthful bald training partner. The black sash he wore over his robes was even more telling.

“It appears you’ve done well for yourself.” she said in her cool tone, gesturing to his sash with a wave of her armored right hand. “Well earned, I’m sure. Zintila’s guidance isn’t wasted on you my friend. You were born for greatness, as she has duly noted.”

“Ah... Elhaym, when did you become so pious? I half expected you to break my ribs for... well, anyhow. It truly is good to see you. Why did your group never return to Lhavit? I’m sure you were all aware of what had transpired.”

“We never received a summons, and we had our duty. Good that we did not abandon it as well. We left as eight, but returned as three. I count myself lucky to walk these streets once more, while five of my brothers do not. Yet we did our duty to Lhavit, they more than any.”

Tomo’s eyes twitched as she spoke. Her voice was ice, and her words chilled him. Elhaym had never been one for duty so much as vengeance, and the woman that had left Lhavit so many months ago to act as an advance guard for caravans to Alvadas and to help preserve the peace in the wilderness had viewed it as no more than an insult. A way to stymie her progress she had said to him as she had stormed towards the gate on the day she left.

“I... see. I had not known so many fell. They will be remembered.”

His words were accompanied with a deep bow, as much respect for the dead as respect for her having survived. She looked no worse for the wear, aside from her appearance. Her face was dirty, and her robes and armor looked to have seen more than their share of use. Looking at her bulky form, it was hard to believe she was yet an Acolyte. It was not only her physique and skill, but her posture. Before she had sagged and cast her gaze downward, but this day she met his eyes directly. Her shoulders were held high, and despite her battleworn appearance she seemed as composed as any Shinya could. She touched her balled right fist to her heart and bowed back, her left hand remaining perched on the hilt of her blade.

“If you would walk with me, I would be honored. I must present myself to the Pavilion. We’d had a summons, and I must be the one to speak for us. My brothers remain below, gathering their strength.”

“Are they injured? Elhaym, what did you encounter in your travels?” Tomo said, matching her stride as the set off in unison through the shimmering city.

“What did we not encounter? Reavers, bandits, sickness, lack of supplies, thieves, but Symenestra chiefly... the roads are more dangerous than I knew. Aldrin lost his sword arm to the elbow to a bandit’s axe, and Rein has been in a fever dream for two days. An arrow grazed him, but the wound festered. I do not think he will survive the ascent.”

She spoke of their loss so flatly that Tomo was taken aback. He halted, his voice taking on a frost of it’s own. “I hope you intend to tell them that Shinya lives cannot be measured in silk, spice, and wine Elhaym. If it is that dangerous, the merchants should hire sellswords to protect them while they grow fat and rich, not us.”

The sound of groaning leather pulled his eyes to her right hand, balled into a fist and quivering. It was not hard for him to imagine the only thing stopping her from laying him flat on his back in that moment was the respect his position commanded over her. How could that have angered her? His words were true enough, he thought.

Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on February 2nd, 2012, 11:16 am

“You forget yourself, Protector. There was plenty of silk, spice, and wine for truth, but no Shinya died for it. Their lives are measured in those that outlive them. They died to protect the Lhavitians who walked beside them, not their goods. If you place the blame on the danger of a merchant’s trade, then you can also place blame on the danger of ours. Our trade is life, and no trade is more dangerous than protecting it. Remember that brother. A Lhavitian is no less worth protecting outside our city than in this square. Zintila demands this of us, and we are sworn to bear punishment so that they may be spared.”

Her words brooked no argument, and in that instant Tomo saw a different woman. Her temper was just as sudden, a frosty demeanor only a thin shell that contained her rage. Only now, her rage seemed different. It wasn’t the same vengeful spark as before, but something more... zealous. Dutiful.

“I... forgive me, Acolyte. You are right, my words were harsh.”

He bowed deeply, but she matched his bow and then some.

“You say only what you feel, and that is no crime. I should not have snapped at you Tomo. These days have been hard, and with this...” she said as her head rose, her right arm waving and motioning to the city, “... everything is different. I do not know what I’ve come back to, though we received bits and pieces from the merchants."

“It was for the best, I think. You were an outsider, and you saw the city for what it was. You looked past the beauty, and you knew. Many things you hated are gone Elhaym.”

“Things I loved as well.”

Tomo nearly bit his tongue. Kota. She knew.

Kota had been dismissed on the Day of Discourse. Tomo knew little enough, but he knew her former sponsor and more importantly, her lover had not gone quietly. He had assumed if Kota lived that he would have sought her out, but that had not happened. His fate was all but unknown, and he could see the pain in her eyes. It threatened to wash the dirt from her face in a steady stream, but she held back her tears.

“I...”

“It’s alright,” she said, sucking in a deep breath. “Kota was his own man, and he believed what he believed. He had his duty, even if it was misguided. He taught me well and loved me well. I couldn’t have asked for more.”

Other than to be here when I returned.

They walked on without words, the sights and sounds of the city washing out the silence they would have carried between them. In such a city as this, beauty was in abundance. It was no easy thing to be dreary in Lhavit.

“I can make the rest of the way alone, I think. I have to steel myself for my summons. Thank you for walking with me Tomo.” She said, but as she spoke she moved to unbuckle her sword from her hip. It was a marvelous thing, Isurian steel and gilded gold forged into a masterwork that her ancestors had saw fit to pass down to her. Tomo had always been envious, but he could not comprehend why she was suddenly pressing the sheathed blade into palms he hadn’t even realized he had moved to accept it.

“Elhaym, you can wear your sword inside. That much has not changed, I promise you.”

“I could, I know. But I won’t. I spent months chasing the legacy of that sword, and to what end? Revenge. I don’t know if I really cared about Lhavit until it was on the the horizon Tomo. The weight of this blade almost buried me. I will never be her. I can only be me, and do what I can. Whether it’s great or small... I don’t care. I looked for faith in this blade, but it didn’t serve me well. I can’t wield a blade like she could... maybe in time, but not now. When it was dark, when I grieved and raged... I found no solace there. I found it up there.”

Elhaym pushed the blade into his waiting hands, and motioned towards the sky. It was day, so Zintila’s dominon was masked by Syna’s glory. Yet it remained, invisible but no less present.

“Zintila’s is the only blade I need. I have no use for dreams of what I could become, only what I am now. I want many things... I want my family back, I want Kota back, I want to kill a Crow. More than that, I find I want now what I hid behind for my entire time here. I want this to mean something.”

She plucked at her faded robes, dust saturating the air around her hand and glistening in the ambient light of Lhavit. Even dust was beautiful here.

“I knew what they meant before, but on me they were hollow oaths. I think I’ve found my way... and besides, you deserve a fine blade. You a worth a hundred of me with that in your hand, and you know it. Put it to good use brother.”

“Even outside Lhavit, it seems change was occuring. You’ve grown Elhaym... I will put this to good use, as you say. These mountains cannot hold Lhavit alone. Though it seems I needed reminding.”

Tomo slide Elhaym’s blade into the sash on his left hip, holding it with his left hand as she had before. She left him there, holding her ancestral sword. It was a hard thing to leave it behind, but it was for the best. She didn’t know if she could live up to her words, but the underlying truth was there. She’d had little in the world before she left, mostly her need for vengeance and the warmth of Kota’s touch. She would likely never again feel Kota’s warmth, and her she’d shed her hate one layer at a time until the thinnest layer merely tickled her insides. She had but one thing left, meager as it had been. Duty. She would wield her duty like she had the blade, and if her path stayed true it would not be half so pitiful as her swordsmanship.

-FIN-

Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Hermit on February 3rd, 2012, 6:19 am

Thread Award

Lore of Conviction
Lore of Integrity

I enjoyed this thread and welcome you back to the City and the Shinya. I hope your stay is fulfilling and pleasurable.

One note I would like to make. Lhavitian is no longer a language, so perhaps your color can be your personal text color, while an accent befitting any locality still works. Outside of that, I look forward to assisting you in your quests!

Hermit
Hermit
Retired Staff

Words: 17573
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2012, 5:22 am
Race: Staff account
Office