[The Great Bazaar] It's Bad For Me [Gabrielle]

Sutekh meets a Svefra, hilarity ensues!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Sutekh on November 30th, 2011, 4:53 pm

"Though one has to question if you are able to defend yourself, even with the protection of the guards in this city, they cannot watch every citizen at every hour of the day. One thing I have seen of Svefra is that they are not good fighters," Sutekh said with the most serious look on his face, the only thing giving away his teasing nature was the slight inflection in his tone to indicate he wasn't being wholly serious. "I thought that was why the children of Lakivu remain on the sea - there is no one to fight if you are in the middle of the water."

The young woman was right, there was nothing weird about seeing Svefra in a coastal city, but to Sutekh he didn't think that they should be in a city. If they chose the life out in the middle of the water they shouldn't soil a city with their ethics of ownership and that certain salty smell that accompanies the people that make the sea their home. Of course Sutekh wouldn't make a comment about that, not at all - he would simply smile politely when the wind carried that fresh scent to his nose. The fact that the woman had, assumably, prayed to Yahal at some point in the past was interesting and snapped Sutekh's attention back to the present. If she had prayed to him at one point in her life then perhaps there was hope for her yet.

"May I inquire as to why you usually pray to the god that you do? You treat the gods as if you can pray to certain gods for certain things, as if given the multitude of gods you are free to choose who to worship whenever your desire changes. Not that I am saying that praying to multiple gods is a bad thing, but ..." Sutekh was interrupted from his conversation as the food was presented to him. He smiled as he looked down to the little bowl in front of him and he took the spoon and positioned it perfectly between his fingers and gently prodded the dish. Sutekh was satisfied with what was before him as he took in the aroma first, smelling what had been laboured over for hours and from years of experience in getting the flavour combinations just right. He closed his eyes for a moment as the woman asked her question and he took a moment to pause before he opened his eyes again and looked over to the Svefra.

"I became a Son of Rapas, a follower of Yahal, because it was my duty. When a god takes personal interest in your well being you do not ignore that call. You answer it and dedicate your life to the god that has shown you favour." Sutekh smirked as he nodded his head and took one small spoonful of the food and ate it.

"Correct, I am not from here or anywhere near Sylrias. I am from the Eyktol deserts where the Benshira call home. A place that would be very peculiar for a Svefra to ever see in their life - a place with endless sand and not a drop of water to be found."
Sutekh
Blood Like Lemonade

Words: 23391
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2011, 4:02 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on December 2nd, 2011, 3:43 pm

"Not good fighters...?" Gabrielle smirked to herself and gave Sutekh a knowing glance. "Do you know anything about my people? I might say the same to you, priest, the reason your kind must remain on the land is because you are afraid of what we live in; in regards, you are afraid of us." She had seen much experience in that area: common people in ships who sailed off at full speed at the sight of their flag, the wary glances she received when she walked through their cities -- her people were feared and worrisome to most, and rightfully so. "I can very much defend myself. My brother taught me how to hunt with a bow, and targeting a human is no more difficult that targeting a soaring bird."

However, she had to admit that it was quite difficult for her to fight at close range, or without her bow. The reason her brother had trained her with the bow was because he had insisted she was swift but had a small build, one that would be at odds against a person who used a blade and had the strength to wield it. He had promised her he was to teach her to fight with a knife because it was light and appropriate for her speed, but he had disappeared before he was able to. She sometimes agreed to playful duels with some of her pod members, where there were no weapons involved, and she mostly found her face flat on the ground and her voice yielding.

"Laviku is the God of the sea, of our home," said Gabrielle carefully, wondering how to discuss religion with a priest and convincing him of what she believed in. "It is thanks to him that we sail with our lives intact, it is thanks to him we have a home. Who else should we pray to, rather than to the one who gives us all? You seem to suggest that this may be a negative practice. Tell me, who should I pray to? I have never felt Yahal's presence, unlike what you say. I am sure he is a powerful God, but he does not protect the seas."

Gabrielle gave him a wry smile and took a spoonful of stew, savoring the taste before gulping it down. It was warm, just as she preferred, and she felt her insides relaxing as she finally got the meal she needed.

"I know of the Benshira and your lands. I must admit, it frightens me. You are right, the Svefra do not like places where the sea does not reach. It doesn't bother me that some think we are weak because of this... the day I see your kind sail the seas with no fright of drowning, then I will adhere that we are indeed weak because of our fright of the lands." Gabrielle gave him a look, her blue eyes flashing with taunt. "Until then, the landsmen are the weak ones; because not only do you fear the sea, but the people who live there as well. The Svefra, on the other hand, fear only the land... and not its inhabitants. I have yet to find a landsmen who can make a Svefra run away in fear."

Gabrielle wondered why she was speaking so much and telling a stranger many words about her opinions and beliefs, but she found it was easy to speak to Sutekh, although she found it in herself to taunt him, because she found him interesting and she liked pushing people of interest around for her pleasure. From what she observed from growing up, it was a common trait of the people of the sea.
Last edited by Gabrielle Seawind on December 14th, 2011, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Words: 116325
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sutekh on December 13th, 2011, 8:01 pm

The woman was young and immature - two words that immediately crossed Sutekh's mind. The tone of her words was spoken in a way to try and elicit a response from Sutekh, one that she was hoping for - something akin to anger - but it was something that the woman wouldn't get from the man with the spoon perfectly poised between his strong fingers and thumb. Sutekh's only reaction was a little grin at the thought of the woman taking out a bow and arrow and trying to defend herself in that alleyway.

"What I have seen of your people has been thus: I have seen them pushed around the outskirts of a city like a collection of filthy rats, the guards having to exert no more effort in controlling them than a teacher has to physically keep her children in line while they are in school." The stew that was on the spoon had been held over the bowl long enough that it didn't require cooling off any longer and Sutekh brought it to his lips and ate it silently. His eyes remained on the contents of his bowl and never straying from there, as the young woman may have thought she was trying his patience. "You can defend yourself, I suppose, but where is your bow and arrow in this city? Do you think you can defend yourself if one of the rare pickpockets pilfers your pockets? I suppose you could always fashion a bow and arrow from a stick and rock, with the blessing of your god."

Laviku, "God of the Sea." Sutekh smirked only for the briefest of moments at the thought of that bearded thing being a protector of anyone. How could someone that was a false god protect anyone, even such shifty people as the Svefra? He placed his spoon back into the bowl as he looked over to Gabrielle, his own blue eyes seeming to grow darker as he contemplated his words carefully.

"Not negative. But without the waters under your feet, who will protect you here? Yahal is everywhere. There is no need to be on the waters or in the sands to be protected by my god. He is within everything," Sutekh said as he raised his hand to the branches of the tree overhead. "He is in the leaves, in the branches, in the gush of wind that billows my robes." Sutekh's eyes focused back on Gabrielle again, his face blank of any overt emotional expression. "Yahal is everywhere and Yahal is good. You claim to have never felt Yahal's presence, but every day you are surrounded by the grace of Yahal. You are merely not accustomed to viewing the influence and the goodness of Yahal. And for that, you have my condolences. The choice of who you pray to is ultimately your decision, and if you choose to worship a god of the sea while you inhabit the land, that is your choice."

Her analysis of what consisted of those on the land amused Sutekh. She amassed all the inhabitants of solid ground into one lump and dismissed them all just as easily as people dismissed the Svefra. He gave her a light, easy laugh at that assessment and shook his head in disagreement with that conclusion. Sutekh looked down to his right hand, that he held just above the surface of the counter and spread his fingers as far as they could reach, the knuckle joints cracking under the strain.

"You place the Benshira in the same league as Isur, as Myrians, as Akalaks. We are not all the same and some are even proficient in the water. The generalization made of the Svefra is correct, however - there is only one race of people on the water, and that one group of people all act within the same boundaries of stereotypes. I do no fear the water, or those that live on it. And if it is a landsmen you seek that would make your eyes widen in fear, then I shall arrange such a meeting for you. They exist, young Gabrielle. And are closer than you think."

Sutekh paused for a moment as his eyes remained locked on those of the Svefra. He smiled after that moment passed and took the spoon back up in his right hand and dug it back into the still steaming bowl of stew.
Sutekh
Blood Like Lemonade

Words: 23391
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2011, 4:02 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on December 14th, 2011, 10:15 am

Gabrielle had tried to taunt him, but it had backfired. She didn't expect such strong words from him, and she felt anger build up in her in a single moment. While she felt mostly curiosity for him just a minute ago, she now regarded him someone who simply looked down on the Svefra. Gabrielle didn't take kindly to what he said, and it was evident in her expression. Her eyes were furious, and she clenched her fists tightly.

"You dare insult the Svefra this way!?" hissed Gabrielle, her eyes burning. "You dare compare us to rodents... I warn you, Sutekh, don't speak that out in the open -- or you shall see how it feels to be besieged by rats. Let us see your God protect you then. I have no need for your condolences. I am sure that Yahal is a great God, but he is not the one responsible for why I am still alive today."

His monologue about landsmen with frightful strength landed on deaf ears. Gabrielle was too angry to listen to anything else he had to say. All that really stuck to memory was how he had spoken about the Svefra. Never mind that she had started it, never mind that he might be taunting her as well. Another thing which added to her anger was his calm demeanour, how he continued to sup on his stew as if what he had just said was common knowledge that didn't even require a blink.

Without really thinking about her actions, Gabrielle threw her hand across the table, swiping both their bowls of stews on the floor. The contents spilled on the ground, and the commotion caused the cook to look back and yell words of annoyance. Gabrielle didn't care. Her fists were balled, and she made a move to punch the priest's face.

...But she never did. Instead, she forced herself to take a deep breath. Glaring at the priest one last time, she hissed, "Thank you for introducing me to that wonderful stew. I should be going now before it gets out that a rodent has found its way to the bazaar."

She knew the priest probably found her foolish, her anger unfounded. But Gabrielle was like that -- her rage built up on almost nothing. She had found his words hurtful, albeit with truth -- however, she refused to accept it. Gabrielle dug into her pockets and brought out a single golden miza, which she threw at the table. She had no idea how much the bowl of stew cost, nor did she really care if she was overpaying or not giving enough. Scrunching her nose, she stormed off, walking out on the priest.
Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Words: 116325
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Templar on February 8th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Gabrielle: Observation: 4 – Rhetorics: 5 – Philopsophy: 2 – Interogation: 2
Lore: Syliran Customs -

Sutekh: Unarmed Combat: 2 – Observation: 4 – Rhetorics: 5 – Interogation: 2
Lore:

Additional notes: City is called Syliras, not Sylrias. Excellent thread none the less! And feel free to PM me if you think I missed something!
Derp.
Templar
The Templar Knight!

Words: 23533
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2011, 11:14 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous