[The Silver Beacon] Lessons on Laviku (Laudus)

Narris teaches Laudus a little about his deity, and shows him where to find the best kelp on the Denvali shoreline.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Paragon on February 9th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Narris' heart thundered as the Nuit was swept away. Though still agile, age had slowed the lighthouse keepers reactions. Despite this, moments later he found himself scrambling across the rocks.

"Laudus!" he shouted crookedly, but it was too late for that. The winter waters raged and moved the Nuit away with ferocious speed.

Laviku... Lend me your power.

He gazed out to the sea, time seemingly slowing. What a day - to have to employ the powers of two Gods! Oh how lucky that he was so blessed.

His Oceanus mark grew cold on his chest, and for just a moment it seemed like waves crashed beneath Narris' eyes. The water around Laudus began to part, the old man straining with the feat. Soon Laudus was being pushed back towards the shore on more shallow tides.

"Swim with the tide!" Narris called, breathing deeply. Away from the thrashing waves and fast moving currents, the Nuit should be able to gently swim back to the shore.

Living in at Laviku's doorstep, it was easy to forget the dangers of the sea, though it was the very same expanse that had taken the life of his wife so many years ago.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Laudus on February 11th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Laudus had never really cared for water. He didn't have to drink it to survive. He never had to use it other than in alchemy experiments. Odds are, the nuit didn't even swim in it before he had become an undead. So what on this world would make Laudus get trapped in it? What god wanted to see the man wallow in water he could do nothing in it? Of course, the scholarly approach came out of Laudus. He wasn't worried about dying; he didn't have to eat and sleep. Odds are no animal would find him appealing enough to eat, unless they were scavengers. He would just float around the ocean, drifting whereever the currents took him. Maybe he would discover what was on the horizon. A very boring experience. Could he survive it?

Thankfully, Laudus thought, he didn't have to experience drifting in the water for the rest of his days. Before his very eyes, the water carrying him away began to part. Laudus didn't know about the ocean, but he knew that it wasn't suppose to do that. And then the water began to push him towards the shore, with Narris telling him to swim with the tide. The old man didn't seemed a bit at awe of what was occurring, as if he had seen it happen before. Was this him doing it again?

Laudus would most definately ask, but first he had to swim back to shore. Did he look like a swimmer? As the tide carried his frail body forward, Laudus stuck his two arms out like two arms of a five-pointed star. Palms open, Laudus pushed his arms through the water to his thighs, performing what he thought was a swimming technique. He was hoping it was, in case whatever Narris was doing faltered. Laudus stuck his arms back out, and continued the cycle of swimming with his arms. He even kicked his feet a little, a humorous sight as it didn't do much but splash water around. Any person who witnessed this would have a story to tell. Not that anyone would ever know. Hopefully.

Finally Laudus reached the shore, he grasp the sand in his hands. He didn't care if his robes were getting dirtier than before; he was landlocked once more. Looking up, with droplets of water dropping off of his bodies' beard, Laudus asked, "Did I just witness Laviku's powers?" If he had, Laudus would've witnessed two different gods' powers. The pure one forced him to reveal his identity, something he didn't not. The other, more neutral one, saved his unlife, which he longed for.

Gods were as odd as humans sometimes.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Words: 32542
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2012, 7:24 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on February 11th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Narris breathed a sigh of relief as Laudus clawed his way back to the shore. He helped the Nuit up, pulling him back to safety on the rocks.

"Indeed you did," he said severely, "you are blessed by the God's on this day."

His heart slowed, the skin on his chest returning to a more suitable temperature. It always grew cold with the awakening of Oceanus - Laviku's Gnosis.

"The ocean has a habit of doing odd things like that. It builds the shorelines, the beaches, but it also breaks. And when the waves pull like that, only the God of the sea can resist their strength. It is a beautiful irony, but a necessary one, I think."

Once again, he found himself looking out at the horizon, mouthing a silent prayer to Laviku.

"I hope that I've been helpful. I would always be happy to help Astrid's cause," he began, "but yes. This is the best place for the kelp. Just be careful on the rocks next time. And I hope..."

He trailed off in reverie, the wild blue yonder calling to them.

"I hope that you learnt a little of my faith today. Don't ever fear yourself, or others. Though you may not be in technicality, you are as mortal as the rest of us. Nuit, or no Nuit, you have the spirit of a Mizaharian."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Paragon on February 12th, 2012, 1:40 am

Laudus :
Laudus

Skill XP Reward
Observation +2
Swimming +2
Rhetoric +1
Philosophy +2
Acting +1

Lore: Narris (Lighthouse Keeper), Of Priskil, Of Laviku, Recognising Luminance (Priskil Gnosis), Recognising Oceanus (Laviku Gnosis), The Best Kelp Location in Denval, The Mortality of a Nuit, Denvali History (Partial)

Other: N/A

I loved threading with you, I think you did a great job. There's a whole bunch of useful lore's there - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Previous