[Flashback, Jilitse] A Clockwork Must Be Learned, Not Taught

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Jilitse on April 11th, 2010, 7:32 am

Now she was facing a map of old Alahea, Mashaen now pointing to where places were, not that it would be of any use. Perhaps a good starting point of her journey was to locate the capital of old Alahea, Jilitse nodded to herself as the archwizard pointed to where Treval used to be. She listened to him earnestly, waiting for that opportune moment where the archwizard will fully dictate her actions: where to go, what to do, who to talk to.

It did not happen.

With great disappointment, Jilitse realized that this mission will be a lesson in experience. She had expected Mashaen to order her down to the very last detail of her quest, just like a teacher gives the exact formula and methods for an experiment. It was hard, receiving such a rebuke. Another way to look at it was that she was, and will be, on her own.

She was befuddled because there were a lots of things this quest could entail, and none of them bode well for her. When she first decided to come to Mashaen, she wanted to show him the designs of Plinku. She wanted to discuss anthropomorphic golems, she wanted to learn more about Animation.

But the conversation unraveled into something she did not fully expect: that, first of all, she was scared of Sahova, for what it had become after Drainira left, that she was filled with the most righteous fury against Sagallius for manipulating Drainira, Mashaen, and the rest of Sahova, that she was now to embark into a whirligig of adventure with nothing but an old map and tiny bits of incoherent knowledge and the name of a Goddess to go against Drainira and Sagallius. The story would make a lengthy epic, and she had forever to make it come true.

She had to be her own protagonist now. A dream of becoming "great like mama" slithered into her memory - a distant dream that died when her mother died, a memory that faded to the distant past, thanks to the passage of time. And the image she had long forgotten instantly appeared: a little girl with golden curls playing with a doll that walked and talked (no other shops have it in all of Alahea because it's made of love, mama had said). "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The voice resonated in her mind. "Like mama, like mama! I want to be like mama!" She was somewhat taken aback, she almost missed the last of Mashaen's words.

Mashaen had held Drainira in highest regard, and for that her betrayal must have shaken the core of his soul. "If it must be done," she hesitantly answered to his request of killing Drainira. For a very long while she stared at Mashaen. She came to him, coming close to him in a way she had never done before, and laid her hands on his shoulders. There was no malice in it for her, no silly notions of love, only a deep sense of camaraderie. She then wrapped her arms around him very very lightly. It was, what did humans call it? An embrace.

"I know now the reason why I joined Sahova. It is because you have always been steadfast and wise. You have given me inspiration to follow you because you were great, and I believe you still are. I want to be like you." It was not flattery, it was a fact. Jil wanted to become a mage like her mother. In her mother's absence she had seen that mage in Mashaen. It was a simple dream, one that she was reluctant to pursue because her father had instilled in her a fear of magic. She paused and let go of Mashaen, "And I also know, now, why I am still here." And with this she patted him in the shoulder again, "It is to give you hope. Your soul is in greater need of it." She said in a light gay tone, hopefully enough to hide her anxiety. "But of course, do not be too optimistic." Her hallowed laugh indicating that she had regained her composure. "I will see what I can do and I will try my best to help you."
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Tarot on April 11th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Mashaen did not shy away from the embrace, or even move a muscle throughout the act. He could see nothing of what Jilitse spoke of, none of her reassurances, none of his supposed greatness. He was just another loser who had lived his life and later his unlife being second best. Second place was simply the first of the last, after all; the most tragic place to be. He was also relieved in a way, however. For to have inspired others, even in such twisted ways, was in itself an accomplishment worth living for. He finally understood the basic difference between a person and even the most advanced of all golems. A golem knew its purpose; a person discovered it.

This age did not belong to him, but it could belong to those like Jilitse. They still had a fighting chance. He gave a crooked grin.

"Back to work, apprentice. I believe we have much to do."

Jilitse
  • +4 Animation
  • +3 Drawing
  • +2 Interrogation
  • Map of Ancient Alahea
  • Lore of Zarik Mashaen's Grand Oath
  • Lore of Drainira
  • Lore of Sagallius [partial]
  • Lore of Priskil [partial]

Additional notes: Thanks for the fantastic thread! :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Previous