More trouble than it's worth [ Jack & Roka]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Jack Morlin on March 25th, 2012, 6:11 pm

3rd of Spring, 512 (Evening)
3rd of Spring, 512
Pig's Tavern

The sun was setting in the horizon as Jack left the alley. The common citizen were on there way home, while the less honorable ilk (much like himself) were preparing for their night time activities.

Jack moved sluggishly into the Pig's tavern, his body movement reminiscent of a sedated bear. Scrapper moved right behind him, just as tired. He gave a nod to merv and a few regulars and took his place at the end of the bar, closest to the window. Merv made a mug of ale and placed it in front of him.
"Well, well, haven't seen you in a while. Had a rough winter, did ya jack?"
The thief smirked. "You could say that. Seems just about everybody had a 'rough winter'." Jack took a healthy gulp of the ale, letting it slide down his throat, enjoying every second, as Scrapper made his way to jack, where he laid down next to the stool.

Between the storms and the bouts starvation, Jack should be dead, or at least damn close. But, like always, he found his way through. Now jack was content to do something he missed all those days he was cold and hungry: Enjoy the numbing oblivion of alcohol.

And today he was going to make up for lost time.
Jack Morlin
"Leave me to my ale."

Words: 7199
Joined roleplay: March 10th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Roka on March 26th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Roka had spent the day along the outskirts of the city. The broken landscape needed some help along the way after the vicious storm. He as well needed some escape from the storms damages. Hiding in the underground tunnels had made him uncomfortable. It was a confinement that didn't agree with him.

He had avoided the city most of the day. The people seemed as unsettled as the storm. There was noise of witch hunts amongst the farther side of time. Any and all magic users need not apply, but would be thrown to the wolves regardless. Sunberth was a pit, just like that, you fall in the second you step foot inside. Now whether you hold onto the sides or take the drop, that was up to you. Roka wasn't always sure where he was positioned in the hole, but he was cautious enough to not make a great stir the cities grumbling intestines.

By evening things seemed a bit calmer, stir had worn down into a complacent humming. He made his way back inside, his fingers smudged with dirt from his activities along the Northern Wilds. He wove through the city, into a pub he'd only noticed in passing. It now looked a bit of a shamble, with boards unturned and holes bulleted along the walls. The patch job was an almost comical testament that as long as the building was still standing and men still craved drink, they would not close.

He slipped inside unnoticed and took a seat along the bar. The bartender approached, throwing a dirty rag over his shoulder and waiting for some kind of order from Roka. He thought for an instant, declining to look directly at the man, "Just water." he ordered, the bartender just responding with a shake of his head and a huff.
Roka
Scavenger

Words: 86540
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2012, 9:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jack Morlin on March 26th, 2012, 6:47 pm

By the time the stranger entered the pub, Jack was on to his third mug of ale. the effects of inebriation were beginning to take over him and we was feeling the stress of "life in the big city" to dissipate. He noticed the young boy sitting nearest to him and thought it strange, as he didn't seem to be the type to enter such a place this late in a town such as this. His dull mind broke way for paranoia. Who is this? He not a regular, that's for sure. If fact, jack didn't remember him being there when he entered, nor did he hear him come in. His mind thought frantically, trying to remember who he owed money to, and who his boy could be working for. Goldfinger? But they have worked out an arrangement. Dalagar? He owes him plenty money, but even he wouldn't collect so soon after winter. Other than the various people whom Jack has accumulated various debts towards, none are serious enough to come after him, not yet at least. that left only one person.
Dastana Nariette
The very thought of her name made him shiver. he took his eyes off the boy and stared into his drink. But he doesn't even owe her that much. Only 20 Gold.
Of course, to that woman, 20 gold could very much be what his life is worth.

Now officially nervous, Jack though about his escape routes. the window, is typical choice of escape, was close enough, but Jack didn't eveb notice the guy walk in. There was no telling how fast this guy was. if he got away, he knew he would lose him in the alleys, but danstana was the only person who knew where he was living. Jack cursed his luck, and decided that is best way out would be to either talk it out, or if it had to be, fight it out.

He turned to the boy, hand wrapped around his mug in case it came to it. "How odd to see one as young as yourself in a in this place at such an hour.

Both Merv and Scrapper looked at Jack and the boy again. Jack paid them no mind, though it was odd for Jack to speak to anyone whilst at the bar, especially a stranger, unless he was setting up a con.
Seems no one ever understand when i say it, but dammit imma say it til i die.

"Woot Boot Mah Loot"
Jack Morlin
"Leave me to my ale."

Character sheet

Postby Roka on March 28th, 2012, 11:23 am

Roka was a bit startled by the man's sudden approach. He had seen him fidgeting about, looking around the room suspiciously. Though he hadn’t expected him to approach, in fact that was likely the last thing he expected. He could smell the ale wafting from each word he spoke and turned to him with a brow raised questioningly. He took in the other's intoxicated appearance and a smirk formed in the corners of his mouth. "Young?" He questioned, while he was in fact only two, for his race he was a male that had reached reproduction age, for Kelvic’s that made you a man. In Roka's mind he was an adult.

"I'm old enough." he stated simply and finally, narrowing his eyes some. He felt a bit defensive about the comment. He didn't want to be made to feel like a child, out after curfew. He raised his chin and let out a hot breath, and smiled. "I'm old enough to sit at this bar, any time of night, and drink to my heart’s content." He slid his mug filled with a murky substance that would pass for water, away from him.

He felt more tentative now, engaging this stranger so readily. He cleared his throat and turned his gaze from the other, slumping some in his chair. In truth he had not had much luck in drinking. He didn't enjoy the taste much, among other factors. He turned back again feigning confidence a sharpened look in his eyes “Looks like you’ve partaken in your fair share as it is. I doubt there’s much left.” He poked fun at him with amusement resonating in his voice as he rested his head upon his palm, perched on the bars table-top.
Roka
Scavenger

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jack Morlin on April 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Jack leaned back a bit on the old stool, not sure if he should humored or insulted. Deciding that the comment wasn't that rude, Jack loosened up a little. This one has wit. Nice to see that not everybody who stumbles in this pit isn't duller than butter knife.

Now with a better view of the kids face, jack tried figure out whether or not he worked for Dastana. He had no luck, as his youth could mean he was a new recruit. Jack took another look around the tavern, looking for suspicious (well, more suspicious) characters. Though everyone in the tavern were obviously regulars, his paranoia began to spike as he ordered another drink. Scrapper got up and made his way outside, leaving Jack alone with the stranger. Damn Good for nothin dog, He thought. Just as i need him around, he decides to up and leave.

So I'll assume your not from around here? Jack gives an uneasy smile and takes an large gulp of ale, drumming the bar with his right hand.
Seems no one ever understand when i say it, but dammit imma say it til i die.

"Woot Boot Mah Loot"
Jack Morlin
"Leave me to my ale."

Character sheet

Postby Roka on April 14th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Roka looked back to the counter with a shake of his head. He rested his arms upon the counter of the surface and lifted an arm to scratch at his head as he inclined his view toward the stranger once again. He opened his mouth to speak, but only a pause stilled the air until finally a breath caught him and his eyes narrowed in thought. "I haven't been around long, but it's home for now." he finally answered content with himself, his hands reaching back for the glass in front of him. He spun it idly, his vision following it as it swiveled in a puddle of condensation sliding down the cool surface of the glass. His fingers tinted pink by the prolonged exposure to a chilled cup.

"And you?" deciding it an unthreatening prospect to simply keep conversation. The man did not seem a villain, if not a bit shady, but with no intent to harm so far. "Are you from around here? Or did you wash in, with the storm days ago?"
Roka
Scavenger

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jack Morlin on April 19th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Jack gulped down the last of his ale and smiled the way only a drunk man could, and rested his elbows on the bar. He coughed and turn his head toward the stranger.
Been livin here for three 'er four years now. If only i actually did 'wash in' with the storm, as such a thing might have deterred me from staying... He was clearly drunk, not even caring that he was telling a complete stranger personal information. As he waved his hand for another drink, he realized that the man wasn't interested in his life, and was only trying to be friendly. Upon figuring that out, began to liven up.
you know what? This is a bar, not an asylum, here have a drink he offered the man his fresh mug of ale, witha wide grin on his face. You did come into to a bar, after all.
Jack Morlin
"Leave me to my ale."

Character sheet

Postby Roka on April 26th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Roka bowed his head in resigned agreement as if the statement held any meaning for him, regardless. He found it easier to just keep his mouth shut when conversations swayed in a direction where he was unsure of the territory. He had been in Sunberth not long before the Djed Storm and confronted more perils than that of the submerging city. It was not a doting memory he held. A shivered struck across the open plain of his skin like sudden lightning and his shoulders tensed to shrug the thought from his mind and swiveled back to this stranger as he began to offer him a drink. Ready to protest, to speak of how he had never had ale and wasn't very keen to the taste. He again decided against it. He was of age, at least in body if not in mind. Still he was not ready for the fizzing brew set before him. He stared at it for a long moment, sniffing its contents discretely and wrinkling his nose at his findings.

The ale smelled fowl, fermented urine is what he could compare it to with his sharp nose. With a look of skepticism he raised the mug to his lips and took a swill. It tasted about how it smelled, though he could not recall ever having ingested such a thing in his short years of life. He coughed and tried to keep a gag down as he set it back down. "That's nauseating..." he mumbled nearly forgetting his company. He had yet to discover that the beginnings of a sip of ale were not for taste but for the results.

He turned to the other man, mug twirling in his fingers. "Anyways, what is your name then, Sunberthian?"
Roka
Scavenger

Character sheet
Scrapbook