About Ghosts.....

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

About Ghosts.....

Postby Noaru on June 7th, 2012, 8:48 am

I've read about the ghosts and came up with a few ideas for them, ideas that have probably been thought of and posted already in the forum.

Skills:

I've noticed that ghosts were weightless, many know this already, but they lack the ability of flight this can be particularly made into a skill for those with wings or of the ethereal kind. I noticed the Zith have the ability and this made me think of ghosts.

The idea of a ghost being able to emit their Djed into the environment’s; the Djed would naturally linger like a mist or fog would and if the ghosts angry enough. The mist would affect the living, such as causing negative behavior to manifest or hallucinations (e.g. hearing, seeing, feeling things related to the ghosts death or emotions.) Of course the targeted would only slightly notice the mist/fog developing within that specific spot or entire area, if the ghost is powerful. I thought this skill could be called (''warping'') as the environment will seem like its being distorted by the ghostly mist.

Chart on Warping:
Secret :
[Novice 1-25]

The ghost can emit tiny amounts of Djed which can cause beings to feel as if their being watched or followed. The effective range would be two meters as the ghost is unfamiliar with the skill and will need to rest for a short period of time.

[Competent 26-50]

The ghost can emit a decent amount of Djed which can cause beings to become uncomfortable and feel multiple presences around them, such as feeling surrounded or enclosed. The effective range would be eight meters as the ghost is beginning to grasp the skill but is still unable to active it without aggression being involved; this requires them to rest for quite a period of time, if competent quantities were used.

[Expert 51-75]

The ghost can emit large amounts of Djed into the environment, causing beings to see things that aren't there or hallucinations linked to its death. The effective range would be sufficient enough to envelop a house thus affecting multiple targets at will. A ghost at this point doesn't need to become angry and understands how to execute the ability but requires them to rest for a lengthy period of time.

Master [76-100]

A ghost at this level is a powerful entity an expert in the art of deception in all the sense, causing beings to feel literal pain from clever illusions of excruciating detail. The range can span over a large area, effecting groups of people at once; only sharp and strong minded individuals can withstand a ghost of this level. A ghost of this level doesn't need its emotions, it only needs to think of the task and it will come into play but at a heavy price. The spirit must rest for a whole day or face overexertion of its Djed.

The thought of a ghost influencing the elements could be possible, requiring the ghost to have some kind of history or experience in reimancy. The ghost would absorb the natural Djed within the environment, requiring them to either be touching or be near that specific element they want to manipulate. The Djed the ghost has obtained acts as a controller/enhancer while near an element (e.g. fire, air, water earth etc.) that element would respond accordingly to the Djed and can be used offensive/defensive purposes.

With the natural Djed taken the ghost can make use of the elemental energy it has taken control of; however, though the ghost can make use of the natural Djed, it sheds its soulmist in exchange for the use of the elements power it wants to possess. In the process the ghost can be seen, leaving it vulnerable to attacks.

Chart on Sutheat (''That Which Spans to Touch'')
Secret :
[Novice 1-25]

The ghosts lacks the qualifications needed to manipulate the natural Djed it has taken from the environment; maintaining low amounts of skill, its only capable of outputting small quantities of power within an effective range of two meters; shortly afterwards the ghost will have to rest.

[Competent 26-50]

The ghost at this current level is only starting to grasp its ability to absorb the natural Djed from the environment; it can create streams rather than unfocused bursts. The accuracy of its elemental mite is still lacking requiring its target to be within a six meter range, rest will be needed afterwards.

[Expert 51-75]

A ghost of this level has clearly gained an understanding of its ability to take control of the natural Djed within its environment, using the taken energy to manipulate great amounts of elements creating a Para-element in a single usage. The range has great increased to thirty meters, accuracy has increased as well but the duration of rest is increased, requiring the ghost to rest for a lengthy period of time.

Master [76-100]

A ghost of this level is intoned with the natural energy within the environment. The natural energy it can absorb can be massive creating monstrous reactions with the surrounding elements; it can manipulate any manner of element even creating Para-elements without overexerting itself. The effective range is vast stretching to some yards but this leaves the ghost exhausted, if so much power is used thus the ghost would have to rest a day or so.

These are but mere brainstorming ideas nothing serious :smirk:
Last edited by Noaru on July 7th, 2012, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

About Ghosts.....

Postby Petpapaysa on June 8th, 2012, 1:59 am

Brainstorming ideas is good! I think it means you want feedback? I got you some feedback.

First, ghosts can totally float around and do some short range - teleportation called 'blinking'. I think they're good on the mobility front.

Ghosts can't use their djed for nothing, comes with being a ghost. The djed is dead, unusable, basically non-existent. Maybe re-reading the lore and working on phrasing would be good.

Sutheat sounds an awful lot like just a work-around to give them Reimancy, and if they posses somebody then they can do personal magic anyhow, so I don't think it makes sense to give them another avenue for manipulating those elements.

That said, warping of an area for ghosts is sort of neat - though they already do it to to some degree, manifesting smells and visuals and smoke and temperature changes and neat stuff already. Maybe expanding that into a skill itself so they can do all that nonsense to bigger areas is a decent idea, except they do that all inherently. Touching ghosts already hurts the living too.

So maybe with some re-wording, careful thought and attention to current lore Warping would be a neat thing for ghosts. Be sure to take a careful look at the submissions process if you plan try pushing this all the way through.

Maybe you think I'm dumb and want to put those other ideas through anyhow; that's cool, just be sure to do the submissions process for them too.
Petpapaysa
Player

Words: 9128
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

About Ghosts.....

Postby Noaru on June 8th, 2012, 3:45 am

Nah, I don't think your dumb in fact <.< you've allowed me to further my idea. Instead of using their Djed, as your right its dead and useless; they would rather than their own Djed, use their soulmist in a similar fashion of a ghost manifesting and being ''accompanied by various phenomenon''

I'll re-word it just as you say and I've been thinking of different sorts of monsters and kinds of ghosts; though, I was a tad bit uncertain of how much I had on the computer. I thank you for the feed back :disgust: not to many people are friendly and kindly post comments to others as you did.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes