One of Them (Val)

A Nitrozian and a wanted girl. Why does it seem like this won't end well?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

One of Them (Val)

Postby Aello on June 9th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Summer 64, 512 AV

Aello's boots scraped against the wooden lining. Several boards loosening against her touch. She wondered what it would be like if one of them broke. Splitting at the seams, splintering. Sending her sprawling, falling. Plunging into the murky depths of the lake below. They had engulfed her once, a long time ago. Nearly a full year now. Had it really been that long since she was sprung from her cell, forced to wiggle down the chute, and descend into another version of darkness? Aello couldn't believe it. She wouldn't. She shook her head lightly, allowing her long brown hair to splay against her face. Stick to her paling lips. She was nervous being back here. In this place where Rhysol ruled. Nervous about what must be done in order to repay him. She didn't want to. As far as she was concerned, he didn't deserve it, for he had done nothing for her. But who was she to say? She was but a mere mortal, and combatting a god, especially one the likes of Rhysol himself, seemed to be lunacy. A true descent into madness, from which she could never return.

Aello had to do whatever it was that he wanted. For now, he owned her.

Sighing, Aello looked up. She was surprised she had ventured this far. Surprised she had paid so little attention, that she had allowed herself to wander into the outskirts of town. Into places the families owned. She could only say that she knew little of the place she found herself in. The strange building surrounded by a strong, wiry, metal fence. Nestled beside the lake. Her eyes falling, she followed the drive up to the door, as her feet blindly moved her form up to the gates. Her right hand coming forward, her fingers outstretched, until they could settle around a chink of metal. They clung to the cool X. The subtle curvature which formed a seemingly impenetrable wall; further enforced by the guards that had been posted all around the perimeter.

It hardly seemed cold, relentless, in comparison to the weight of her cursed blade. No, the fence meant nothing. It could be overcome if she had but the desire to do so. But why run directly into the arms of those who would want nothing more to destroy her? Sighing, the girl hung her head. Her long hair falling before her, enveloping her face; shadowing her features.

This was darkness. This was death itself. There was no escaping it.

Aello could hardly hear the shouts for her to move away. It scarcely seemed to matter. Nothing really mattered anymore, now that she was being forced to serve another...
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

One of Them (Val)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on June 11th, 2012, 5:42 am

The situation at the Kelvic Research Institute had improved considerably since that terrible storm in spring. The cages had been repaired and cleaned, the dead bodies had all been removed, and most of the escaped Kelvic had been caught. Valerius no longer had to spend his days with a broom in hand, doing what was more or less slave work, although his aunt still seemed to delight in making him - who was so much better suited to assisting her in her experiments - feed and wash the creatures.

Food was delivered to the Kelvic Research Institute more or less regularly again. In fact he was just on his way to the gate to accept another couple of crates as Aello approached. Even though he was doing the work of a servant, the Nitrozian was dressed in fine silk and velvet. Just because he was doing a certain kind of work didn't mean that he had to dress like one of them. He was still better than they, and one day even aunt Amanda would realize it and promote him.

As he noticed that there was a bit of commotion at the gate, he furrowed his brow and approached one of the guards. "What is going on?" he wanted to know.

Once the man had informed him, he remarked, "You shouldn't tell her to go away, but let her in. She might be one of the escaped ones. She might just be late ..."

He remembered another woman that had come back voluntarily after she had realized that she had nowhere to go.

The man looked at him doubtfully - he wasn't sure if Aello was an escaped Kelvic - but he complied nevertheless and unlocked the gate. Even though Valerius Nitrozian cleaned cages, he was still the head researcher's nephew and a member of one of Ravok's most influential families.

Once the gate was open, Valerius gave her a sign to come closer.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

One of Them (Val)

Postby Aello on June 11th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Aello's eyes came away from the metallic shimmer of the wiry fence, and trailed up to the Nitrozian. Her eyes swept over his simple form- that of a thin man with cropped auburn hair, who seemed little more than a half-starved peasant masquerading in the clothes of the privileged. Ravok's elite. Pale pink petals furled, forming indistinct lines, which betrayed nothing. A single gleam worked itself into her eye, as her mane fell back against her shoulders. As the strands settled into their position, the girl came forward. Easing her lithe form towards the far taller man, barring the widening gap between the gates. The outside world and that beyond. Her grip tightened around her bow as she came to an abrupt halt, standing no more than a foot away; her eyes boring into the endless blue.

"You bid we draw near?" Aello asked simply, before pausing a moment, as her thumb danced over the supple curve of her father's old bow. "And allowed the gates to part. A gaping maw into the institution, so heavily guarded, and kept sealed shut, that it leads some to wonder just how many secrets it holds." Her eyes danced over him, trailing over thin lines of velvet. An obscure choice for a day quite so hot. "Strange, that they should come undone so late in the season, when there is usually, but a single day outsiders are allowed to venture into that place. To inspect the latest group of hatchlings. The most recent litter." Her eyes began to sparkle mysteriously as her head shifted to the side, offering Valerius her profile as her eyes darted away, across the docks and into the water. Hoping to cool before things grew heated.

"Kelvics to serve as slaves. As people's pets, their loving companions," Aello added, somewhat cautiously, as her eyes returned from their excursion, and settled on Val's lapel. "Which leaves one to wonder if you're now offering another day to explore, or if you're simply... intending to do something else." Having fallen into a state of even more pitiful judgment, she thought to herself as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other, and awaited but a single reaction.

OOCSorry, I thought I had mentioned the bow in the previous post. Aello is rarely seen without it.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on June 13th, 2012, 10:38 am

As the woman raised her voice, the Nitrozian arched an eyebrow. She was a little too well spoken for what he had first assumed was a mere escaped Kelvic. Besides, he had just noticed that she carried a bow.

A well trained Kelvic then, possibly bonded or more likely a human woman, although what she wanted was a mystery. There would not be another auction for a while, and she didn't seem the type that would seek employment here. But then again, neither did he look like somebody that fed Kelvic for a living ...

"There is no gaping maw, I'm afraid", he replied somewhat coolly. He didn't appreciate her overly poetic manner of speech. In cases such as this one he preferred if the person opposite of him got straight to the point. "Only a rather plain gate. As for the secrets this place holds, I'm afraid I cannot tell you unless you intend to work here or become one of the ... residents."

He smiled lightly as he said that.

"The gates came undone because you approached and refused to turn away", he continued. "There's nothing strange about that. If a mysterious woman showed up at the place where you work, wouldn't you want to know what's going on? Wouldn't you want to know whether she's human or a lost, little Kelvic?"

"You seem to be well informed though",
he observed. "Why, pray tell me, are you here when you know very well that there isn't an auction today? Do you want to purchase a slave out of turn? I might be willing to accomodate you. I might even give you a tour if you manage to convince me to ..."

He glanced at the guards who were still standing there, waiting, and then he focused his gaze on her again. She wasn't allowed to enter yet, but neither had she been turned away.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Aello on June 13th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Aello shook her head lightly, her lips catching a laugh which spilled over, into her features. "Strangers don't become a problem in the field of hunting," she explained. "At least, as long as though know to keep sharpened things away from what belongs to you. Their hands too." She shrugged. "It doesn't really matter what they are then, does it?"

With that, Aello took but a step back, so as to better look at the peculiar man which stood before her. "Suffice it to say that those in my line of work are always looking for new ways to trap the creatures we seek. To end their lives as swiftly as possible. Or even... find new ways to be of service." There was a slight pause. "The coils of this fence could prove to be useful, when kept in mind for the things we set. But the nature of this building, what it stores, dear sir, would be of far greater use to one like us, then knowing how the metal bits fit into each other."

"You see, I have no need for a Kelvic, considering there are two currently bound- a bird and a wolf with fur the shade of shadows. A submissive sort who relays messages, and keeps the pet company, and one untamed, more than willing to bite one's face off in my name," Aello went on as a curious smile crossed her lips. "Funny, isn't it, how you can never quite tame them? That the animal betrays their human face?" The girl chuckled. "But that is no matter now," she went on as she took a single step forward, "what is, is how one of my trade could be of use to you."

"As one should take it, this institution would be in constant need of a steady stream of fresh meat, among other things, would it not?" Aello asked. "Perhaps, animals to keep others company. Others to be slaughtered, and others to be used simply as stock." There was a slight pause as the girl allowed her words to sink in. "Suffice it to say, that you could be supplied with all of these things, if you chose to utilize what is now being offered."

Aello's fingers strummed her bow as she chuckled. "Not to worry about size, or other limitations. The well being of your employees perhaps... there comes a point in a hunter's life when they learn never to miss." Again, the girl paused for emphasis. "So, what do you say? Do you wish to take a chance with someone you scarcely know, and whose abilities you have yet to test, or would you prefer to bar the gates?"

"Either way, there is nothing lost."
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on June 19th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Valerius arched an eyebrow as she revealed what she was. A hunter would certainly be of use to the Kelvic Research Institute, especially after the djed storm that had made their work so much harder. But if she was a hunter, if she had a useful skill to offer, why had she acted as if she were looking for trouble, as if she were a lost Kelvic rather than approaching the guards and telling them what she had come for?

That didn't make any sense to him. Still, he decided to consider her offer rather than sending her away. Despite her strange behaviour and her manner of speech she seemed to possess some intelligence. And, as he had already decided, they had need of somebody like her.

"Kelvic can be tamed", he disagreed with her. "At least some species. I also cannot help but wonder why you didn't bring your Kelvic with you. Were you afraid that we would take them and add them to our menagerie?"

"But no matter, you are right, we constantly need fresh meat. How much can you give us? Are there others who help you? As you can see, the Research Institute is quite big."

As she talked about the wellbeing of his employees, he frowned. "Is that supposed to be a threat? The Ebonstryfe is everywhere, so you'd better keep such things to yourself if you don't want to make their acquaintance. I don't particularly care about the people working here, to be honest, but they do have their uses, so you'd better not demonstrate your skills on them."

"I'd hate to have to replace them."

He furrowed his brow as he tried to decide whether he should send her away, let her in or even call for the Ebonstryfe. Her appearance didn't impress him, but her confidence did, to some extent at least. Finally he nodded curtly.

"Come in. I'm willing to take the chance - for now. And I may yet find a way for you to demonstrate just how skilled you are with a weapon."

He gave the guards a sign, and they stepped aside.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Aello on June 19th, 2012, 11:35 pm

Aello chuckled. "No, not at all. They are off a ways, to the south, feeding most likely," she explained. "Seeing as they are given a few freedoms, mainly the ability to hunt on their own, for it's not as though they'd need the protection of another anymore." With that, the girl paused, considering her words a moment. "Usually, hunters work alone. At least that's what seems the most prevalent these days, but sometimes Kelvics come. Sometimes the wolf comes along." Aello shrugged. "So you can get whatever you need, as long as a means of transportation can be found. As you may imagine, if you'd like the weight of a bear, it may take more than a few trips to bring it back here. Or, if you desire it whole, a larger vessel may need to be secured, seeing as the ravosala one usually employs to carry them from one edge of the lake and back is shaky enough with but the simple weight of one extra person. That which is being carried, as opposed to the one ferrying a man across."

Again Aello shrugged. "Nothing was meant by it dear," she went on, as she studied the change in the man's demeanor. The way he held himself, his tone. No need to be as jumpy as I am. Or quick to insult, or anger, she thought as her thumb danced over the curve of her bow, in the hope that it alone could ward away some of her discomfort. Some of her fear. But even given time, this too, proved futile.

It came as small surprise to her when he invited her in, but still, Aello's heart skipped a beat, then proceeded to leap. She smiled weakly, her eyes sparkling as she bowed her head a little, before raising it, and following Valerius through the gate. "If that is what you wish," she said simply, as she waited for him to show her through. For although she had some idea as to where she should go, she didn't wish to appear too presumptuous. Too forward, too overly confident in herself that it may get her shot. But surely, that had nothing to do with the fact that she was reluctant to proceed? That she didn't so much as want to step on the grounds, let alone enter the building, for she knew to whom this place belonged. Who so heavily invested in it. "One never shies from an invitation, or a demonstration," she added, as her eyes darted around the vast expanse before her, before idly turning back to peer at the gate now swinging shut behind her.

"So tell me stranger, just what is your name, and what sort of things does this institution seek?" Aello asked. "Deer? A bear? Wolf pups? Wild boar? Or perhaps something smaller, which encompasses a lovely singing voice?"

OOCI'm going to let you lead the procession through the institution. Aello will follow Val wherever he goes, if not somewhat slowly, which may or may not betray her reluctance.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on June 26th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Valerius nodded as she explained why her Kelvic weren’t with her. That made sense. „If you really decide to supply the Research Institute with fresh meat, transportation can be arranged,“ he informed her. „at least from the edge of the lake to here. I wouldn’t expect you and your Kelvic to drag a dead bear all the way across the lake on your own.“

As she told him that she hadn’t meant to threaten him, he nodded curtly. „Good“, he remarked. „I didn’t expect you to do such a stupid thing anyway. You wouldn’t succeed.“ With that he walked away from the gate, gesturing for her to follow him.

Aello could see that the facility almost resembled a zoo. There were cages with all kinds of animals, although a few cages contained naked men and women as well. Once she could see a boy that changed into a large dog and growled at them.

Some of the harmless animals walked about freely as well, and in one area of the facility there was a pond with horses and deer grazing nearby. The scene looked deceptively peaceful.

As she asked him for his name, he stopped and turned around. „My name is Valerius, Valerius Nitrozian. My aunt is the head researcher here. As for what this instituion seeks, any kind of animal would be appreciated. I personally don’t particularly care about birds, no matter how beautifully they sing, but they might provide some entertainment for our cats. The Kelvic birds are too precious to waste them like that.“

„And who are you? If the Research Institute is going to do business to you, I need to know your name.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Aello on June 27th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Aello nodded. "That would be most appreciated," she commented, as she followed him along, her eyes following the bars of cages. The tangled knots of metal. She wondered what animals they held; considering many seemed to have shifted. She supposed they had to be larger, and in this way, they were less likely to get hungry. Alenias always claimed it was easier to fill her belly when she was in her smaller, blue jay form anyway. With a soft shrug, Aello continued to amble along. "Valerius," she whispered, testing the name out on her tongue. It sounded as pompous to her ears as when he said it. Seemed the syllables tasted as obnoxious too.

With a gentle shake of her head, the aurist willed her thoughts away. "Aello," she replied simply as her thumb danced over the curve of her bow. "And as for supplies- the season tends to be good for rabbits, being that they're either mating now, or have late last season. If the hunters are few, there should be a bloody surplus of the lot. Squirrels tend to be around most of the seasons, until late fall when they begin to hibernate with the bears and the like. But they're rather small to be of much use to you. Deer, on the other hand, which should be starting to show their finely antlered heads are another story altogether. But as you said, some means of transportation may have to be secured for the likes of that."

There was a short pause as the girl considered. "Is there any other order of business we need to attend to?" Aello asked.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

One of Them (Val)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on July 7th, 2012, 2:43 pm

As she told him her name, Valerius made a face. There was something about it that irritated him slightly. It didn’t sound particularly Ravokian, and he couldn’t help but notice that she hadn’t given him a last name. Had she just forgotten to mention it or did she want to keep it a secret?

„Aello“, he repeated. „Are you from here, from Ravok? Do you have family in the city?“ He wanted to find out more about her, although he tried to disguise his attempts at interrogating her as mere small talk and even smiled slightly, a fake smile that never reached his eyes.

„Rabbits are good“, he remarked. „The creatures love them. I personally don’t mind rabbit either. It can be quite delicious if prepared the right way. Deer would be even better though. As I said, transportation can be arranged. I can give you access to a boat and send somebody to help you as well.“

„As for whether there is anything else, there is just one thing. I mentioned an opportunity for you to demonstrate your skills earlier. You could show me how well you handle your weapon right here, right now. I’m most interested in finding out just how good you are.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes