Avoiding Entanglements [Henrik/Open]

Eadfrid's journey takes him to civilisation at last...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Eadfrid on June 18th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Summer 18, 512 AV

Long walks were always tiring. Even to a wizard such as Eadfrid. At least he'd managed to get to some kind of civilisation. the weary traveller leaned on his staff as he gazed at the city. It was worth his climbing of one of the Zastoska mountains to see the view from it. It was past midday, so the sun was high in the sky, shining down on many of the buildings and reflecting across the sea. It was beautiful to behold, even to such weary, sleep-deprived eyes. Eadfrid had, strangely, never actually been to a city as big as Zeltiva before, even when he helped his father take the harvest to market. They had never gone as far as this place before.

As hard as the trek up the mountain had been, the walk down the mountain was much, much easier. Eadfrid had to dig the end of his staff into the ground to stop himself falling. Entering the city unnoticed was also relatively easy, as Eadfrid kept his hood up. The city was most definitely bustling today. If Eadfrid had the courage to admit it, he was a little intimidated by it. He wasn't used to crowds as big as this, or even environments as big as Zeltiva.

There's a thought. Eadfrid thought to himself. A wizard scared stiff by a group of unarmed folk.

the irony was amusing to Eadfrid, and he couldn't help but grin slightly. A brushing sensation on his left arm brought him back to reality. An old woman had moved through the crowd, and brushed his arm with hers as she walked. Eadfrid shook his head, and began walking with the crowd. Maybe, while he was here, he could find a nice tavern to settle in for the night.
Eadfrid
A Wizard Is Never Late...

Words: 9338
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Henrik on June 18th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Things were going quite well for Henrik Asimov since he settled down here two years ago. His business was booming... Well as booming as it could possibly even be. He was situated on the outskirts of town, but if anything, farmers and the shady people came to him for medicine... As well as his... less legal activities. Despite all this, he had no real desire to move deeper into the city. He preferred it out here, away from the University. He disliked their prying eyes, they meddle where they shouldn't.

At this time however, those thoughts were quite far from Henrik's thoughts. He was happily tending his new garden, which was quite haphazard and pathetically put together. The only thing that seemed to be growing in this garden was fungus. Henrik sighed heavily, "Alas, my predicament is overbearingly obnoxious." He laughed slightly at his clever joke, "I wish I had some training when it comes to this sort of thing. It bothers me so, but at least I have a few Amanita phalloides for my poisons now..." Henrik sighed once more and wiped the dirt of his hands, "Time to go to the market I suppose."

He went back inside for his cloak and purse, and left his house on his way to the market he spotted an odd man, who was wearing a hood. Many people wore hoods, but this man seemed... Tired? He soon lost him in the crowd. Henrik cursed under his breath, "Damn height." He walked to the market and eyed the herbal vender before him, "I want a ginseng, devil's root, and chamomile please."

"Oh but that's one gold miza sir." The vendor said. Henrik did not like this vender. His eyes were shady.

"Now listen here, I could take my money elsewhere, hell I could trek out into the damn forest and find all of those ingredients. One gold miza is too much damn you! The aren't even worth half as much!" Henrik exclaimed loudly. Many people turned to see the short Henrik making a scene, yet again, as his fits were legendary in the city.

The vendor laughed loudly, "Listen here little man, I don't give a damn if you can go out into the forest and get them. The lowest I'm going is one gold miza."

Henrik's eye twitched, "Excuse me? Little man?" The next few words that came out of Henrik's mouth were very foul indeed, making others either laugh or cringe at the animosity that went with them. He was not a happy man. He was a very unhappy man. Very unhappy indeed.
Henrik
Player

Words: 2396
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Eadfrid on June 18th, 2012, 8:50 pm

So many things that Eadfrid wanted to do while he was here. He could visit the University and browse through their extensive books. Maybe even pick up a new Reimancy trick or two. It would certainly be helpful. His Reimancy abilities weren't too bad. He was competent when it came to air, and was learning slowly to control fire. His other magic? Not so good.

Maybe he should just find a nice tavern, have a good meal, and a good rest. There were very few opportunities for that on the road, and Eadfrid was happy to take whatever charity came his way. Even if he didn't need it.

A small shop caught his eye. It looked like a shop that sold potions, judging by the displays in the window. He could certainly use potions, just as a precaution if not for anything urgent. It wasn't in the nature of a person like Eadfrid, who played it relatively safe, to need potions. Nevertheless, one had to be prepared in this climate. Eadfrid walked over to the shop, and entered, admiring the various bottles on the shelves.
Eadfrid

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cale Fletcher on June 20th, 2012, 4:53 am

Cale darted through he market place, searching for the right stall. There wasn't much time left before she would be considered late in running errands. In her opinion, it was completely justified to get sidetracked by herbs you'd never seen before. Cale spun around, attempting to collect her bearings. 'An angry man on the left, a woman selling candied figs on the right, and a robed figure seemed to be entering the apothecary.' She pondered this for a moment. She was jarred back into the moment with sudden clarity. "The apothecary! That's what I came here for!" She ignored the glares and frightened looks she acquired from speaking to herself and rushed into the shop. She nearly ran into the person she had spotted earlier in the process. "Sorry! Sorry," she called out, "I apologize!" She came to a stop at the counter. "Excuse me, but I really need all of the things on this checklist." She looked up at the rather large woman behind the counter, relinquishing the slip of paper she had managed to crumple quite thoroughly.
"Well, assuming I can read this correctly," the woman chuckled, "there's a fair bit to carry. Will you be able to handle it all?" Cale nodded absently, beginning to get distracted by the many interesting items around the shop. "Can you assemble it all quickly?" She inquired. "I'm a bit short on time."
Cale Fletcher
Player

Words: 5940
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Character sheet

Postby Eadfrid on June 20th, 2012, 9:39 am

"Wha-" Eadfrid was momentarily stunned by the girl bumping into him. It was definitely unexpected, and the apothecary was a little bit cramped. As a result, he almost stumbled into a shelf full of empty bottles, but used his staff to hold himself in place. The shop was becoming more cramped, fast. "There's nothing I need here." Eadfrid had to lightly push other customers out of the way in order to reach the door.

The environment outside was almost as crowded. Were all large cities like this? People were everywhere, especially in the market area. That could be just what I need. Eadfrid thought. Unfortunately, that would bring him into contact with yet more crowds. Eadfrid gritted his teeth and made to go into the crowd. It wasn't a pleasant experience for him. All the people made him feel uncomfortable, and he couldn't get to any of the stalls, although he was able to get a glimpse of some of them. They all seemed appetising, but he just couldn't get to them.

"Maybe I should just find a tavern."
Eadfrid

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Henrik on June 20th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Henrik wrote:
Henrik was not a happy man. Not happy at all. He was quite angry at the man who had swindled him out of his money. But he didn't have the time nor skill to go out into the forest to collect everything that he needed to obtain. He eventually haggled it down to 50 silver mizas, but he was quite angry. Out of the corner of his eyes he spotted, the tall man from before enter one of his competitors places, followed by another woman.

Henrik knew that his competitor was behind him, actually wanting to buy similar items. So he used this to his advantage. He strolled over and non conspicuous as he could to the store and poked his head in. He looked at man and the woman, before he said, "If you are looking for an apothecary you have come to the wrong place, dearest friends. If you are looking fora magnificent, yet under heard of apothecary you should follow me. He's a gem among the rough if I say so myself." Henrik smiled and was actually very anxious. He usually wasn't down to steal his competitors customers, but he was in a dire place. He needed some revenue to make up what happened.

"Of course, if you wish to wait here for this man, who is inherently a fool, a swindler, and a thief, then you are quite obliged to do so. Though if you want good prices and quality work, then follow me." Henrik was talking once more in an exaggerated fashion, yet it wasn't on purpose. He talked like that when he spoke of his craft or himself. He was very fond of his work, therefore, he tended to be much more descriptive. He turned to leave as he beckoned the two to follow. He hated his height, but if there was one thing about it, it made him look... Not scary? His multi-color hair and small stature made people laugh or be drawn to him. He hoped he would have the same effect here.
Henrik
Player

Words: 2396
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Character sheet

Postby Cale Fletcher on June 21st, 2012, 5:02 am

Cale cocked her head as the very loud man spoke. She grimaced. "Sorry Sir, but they are already assembling my order. I'm sure the wares of that apothecary are just as fine, but I'll save it for a trip when time is on my side. As it is, I may barely make it." Cale looked on as the man turned and exited. She stood on the front pads of her feet to see into the storage room. An apprentice spotted her and slid her a slip to sign. With slight hesitation, she forged the signature of one of the professors. She had permission to do so, but she still felt a bit guilty.
Cale Fletcher
Player

Words: 5940
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Character sheet

Postby Eadfrid on June 21st, 2012, 8:26 pm

"A fool is he?" Eadfrid had come back into the apothecary. "He seems like a straight-standing man." he gazed at the owner of the apothecary. His black eyes seemed to see right through the man. In reality, he was just staring at him. the strange colour of his eyes, skin and the fact that he looked travel-wearied just added to the mysticism and creepiness of the whole stare. Eventually he broke the stare, and turned to the rather angry man.

The immediate thing that drew his eyes was the other man's apparent lack of eyebrows. Most likely something went wrong with a potion. I've seen this before. he thought to himself. He certainly doesn't look happy. Neither would I if I lived in a bustling hellhole like this. Give Eadfrid farms over big city markets. Still, there was always an advantage to city markets: they usually had a lot of things that farms didn't have. Such as apothecaries. They were hard to come by for a man like him.

"Certainly, I shall accompany you to this shop of yours." Eadfrid nodded. "This one doesn't seem to have what I need. Maybe you do." he made for the door of the apothecary, and stood aside for the non-eyebrowed man to get out. "Lead the way, if you will."
Eadfrid

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes