Where Great Men Walked [Hadrian]

Hadrian arrives at Zeltiva University to visit an old acquaintance, but ends up with a startling proposition.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Paragon on June 25th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Stonemiller nodded as Hadrian spoke. Then, it seemed, he had taught the boy well.

"Do not trifle with the need to feel honoured," he finally said, half smiling. "Sometimes I might appear stubborn, uncaring, lost in my research. But I too feel a sense of honour seeing you back. You have done well for yourself."

He nodded at the statement about the storm. He remembered the Konti turning up in Zeltiva. Their ethereal faces had belied their dark message. Harbingers of the storm that had now ravaged the land. And it had come from the Kalean mountain. From Wind Reach, home of the Inarta.

"It is not truly the source I wish to uncover. I think, perhaps, we will never truly know what caused the storm. I want to see the rest. I have heard whispers of wild djed, pooling in the storms wake. Did you see any such thing?"
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Hadrian on June 25th, 2012, 10:44 pm

"I don't need honor," he said, "but I appreciate it from people I respect." He left that at that, then listened and nodded.

"Avanthal melted despite the presence of the Winter Queen. I overgave creating ice for their reavers to mold back onto her tower, but still... it was a losing game. In Mura I heard that Denval no longer exists, that the site is now a blast crater, partially submerged in the sea. Traveling by sea, we didn't see much, but I did sense strange things swimming beneath us before we reached the Syliran coast.

"Be careful, please."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Paragon on June 29th, 2012, 11:28 am

"Denval... ceases to exist?" This was new to Stonemiller. He hadn't heard anything from that town. A blast crater, indeed. The storm had taken its toll. "I am sure that you are thankful you didn't witness what you sensed in the water. All manner of things were twisted by the storm. Danger lurks everywhere."

He blinked, slowly nodding through warm, gummy eyes.

"I will be careful Hadrian. And now, I really must go. I will let the Regents know of your tenure before I leave the city proper. I trust you know where everything is, and how to get hold of your schedules?"

Stonemiller paused, looking down at the bag. Leaving Zeltiva... it was a big step, but something his heart yearned for.

"and thank you. Thank you for everything."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Hadrian on July 1st, 2012, 6:37 am

"So I was led to believe," he confirmed with a terse nod. They had a way of not wasting time on niceties, the sooner to reach the desired conclusion of a thing. And of course he knew as well as any, and perhaps better than some, what dangers lurked beyond the huddling islands of civilization. If Stonemiller said he would be careful, then that was all Hadrian could ask for. If the man died abroad, Hadrian would grieve his passing, and then be the most likely candidate to find a way past the man's wards and into his office and whatever secrets he left behind.

But this was a thing he did not really wish.

"I will speak to the Registrar and work out the logistics with him," he agreed, and walked to the door, holding it for the old man, quietly admiring his courage.

"You're most welcome, sir."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Paragon on July 6th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Stonemiller nodded with finality. He was sure Hadrian could hold the torch for a while. Gathering his things, he took one last glance at his office, sighed with some sort of happiness, then made for the door Hadrian held open for him.

He passed the threshold and turned back to his old student. It felt so very right. He rummaged in his pocket for a moment, procuring the keys to his office, and pressed them into Hadrian's palm.

"And so the cycle marches on."

With that, he left his duties in Hadrian's capable hands, and walked out of the University with his head held high, and more than a little vigour in his heart. There were plans to be made, roads to walk, and discoveries to note in his journals.

There was one thing he hadn't shared with his old student. Yes, the storm had urged him on this journey, but there was something else. There was a ticking time bomb. There was a deadline, a pressure, one that had forced his hand, and told him his desire to travel could not wait any longer.

Professor Stonemiller would not live to see the Summer come round again.

END
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Paragon on July 7th, 2012, 7:32 am

Adventurer's Loot

Hadrian's Loot :
Hadrian

Skill XP Reward
Storytelling +1
Rhetoric +1
Organisation +1

Lore: Substitute Professor, Stonemiller's Plans

Items or Consequences: Keys to Stonemiller's Office, Tenure as Substitute Professor

Hadrian and Stonemiller are almost like father and son - I had fun with this. Enjoy teaching! - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Previous