Sparring Sessions in the Forest [Closed]

Maximilian Walsh and Erik practice fighting techniques on each other.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Paris on July 27th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Timestamp:
29th Day of Summer, 512 AV.

The heat was unbearable. All the grime of Syliras was being burnt into the ground, and the stench was nearly too much for Erik to stand. The sun had been like this for awhile now, and it wasn't aiding the crowded, cramped streets of Syliras. Going outside was mandatory, the stone walls of his apartment were like an oven, cooking him ever so slowly. "Okay, enough's enough. I have to go outside before noon, or this sun is going to give me a heat stroke." he said, stuffing some bread into his backpack and heading out. Although it had only been thirty chimes after the tenth bell, the heat was already suffocating, and all around him Erik saw people struggling with their day-to-day life, desperate to get their daily bread, always hopeful for a better day. Although he admired their determination and ability to make ends meet, he felt himself above that. Thankfully Erik had one friend who wasn't busy working in the city, and they had agreed to meet outside in the Bronze Woods, where Erik could practice his magic in peace and be assured in the fact he couldn't harm anyone or anything other than the innocent trees. His backpack was cutting into his shoulder, and Erik found himself constantly re-positioning it on his back to alleviate the pain. While walking on the path alone, he couldn't help but admire the natural beauty of the wilderness. He wondered if the world had been just as beautiful before the Valterrian, as he couldn't see something being more breathtaking than the scene in front of him. Mountains rising like magic from the ground, and trees brushing against the sky, trying to touch the gods as he liked to put it. He set up for a quick rest near a sizable boulder, eating a very small portion of bread as he wanted to wait for his friend once they reached the rendezvous point to begin indulging.

Picking up camp, Erik head out once again for their point, a small clearing surrounded by huge, thick trees and flanked by a stony hill. There he saw his friend had yet again beaten him, and Erik was stuck thinking if he should have taken that break. "Hey Max!" He yelled, not caring about how loud he spoke. Nobody else was around anyways, so everything was fine. "Care to join me for a snack? I'm starving" he said, grinning as always.

Last edited by Paris on July 24th, 2013, 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paris
Your friendly neighborhood morpher

Words: 5744
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Maximilian Walsh on July 28th, 2012, 12:43 am

Fresh air. That is all Maximilian could think of. Slowly waking, and noticing where he woke.
    He woke early enough to have plenty of time to prepare before heading into the forest, to meet up with his friend, Erik.
    After getting up and throwing on his clothes, he broke a bit off of his loaf of bread, and stored it back in his backpack.
    The sun most be blazing as usual, his apartment equals an oven. "Best not be late", he thought to himself, putting on his backpack.
    He took another look around, before grabbing his quiver, dagger and father's shortbow, and making his way into the streets of Syliras.
    Max knew his way around, as cramped as the alleyways and main streets be, he always knew how to get in, out and around the city the fastest.
    "Peasants", he thought, looking at all the hardworking, honest people, "not my kind of work, never will be", he murmured.
    Making his way out of the cramped and stuffy city, he began venturing into the forest, he so adored.
    The only place he could ever be alone, or alone with friends. The place he truly felt safe.
    Hoping not to be late, Maximilian sped up a little, almost running. He worthies being on time.
    In his fast, yet silent steps, he approaches the location he and Erik always meet up at.
    "First!", grinningly murmuring to himself, thinking wether he should start eating now, or wait for Erik and then begin.
    A few minutes pass and he hears leaves rustling, already knowing who's approaching, smiling, Max turns in that direction.
    "Hey Max!", Erik yells at him, "Care to join me for a snack? I'm starving".
    Erik returns the smile, "About time you show up", Max says, in a jokingly manner, "I'm hungry too, let's get started".

My "words"
My thoughts
Your "words"
Maximilian Walsh
And you are?

Words: 22425
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2012, 12:51 am
Character sheet

Postby Paris on July 29th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Erik was starving, he felt as if he had an angry tiger trapped in his stomach clawing his insides out. As soon as Max said to start, he grabbed his bread from his sack and wolfed it all down, realizing in horror he forgot to offer Max some. He was about to apology when he realized Max had his own loaf of bread and a wave of relief washed over him, thank god Max always came prepared. For awhile they chatted of life, corruption, politics and every possible subject imaginable. Erik sat in the grass, feeling each individual blade underneath his palms, soaking in the coolness in his vain attempts to escape the heat. He knew he would have a busy day ahead, and he already felt a bead of sweat rolling down his forehead. Watching Max finish his last piece of bread, he got ready for the day of sparring. He grabbed pieces of bark and set them up all across the clearing as targets, carving a circle into each of them. These would be the targets for Max to practice Archery on.

He had only seen Max in action once before, and the sight was a beauty to behold. Single-handedly taking out 3 bandits with his bow and daggers, a swirl of movement incapacitating all of them within seconds of each other. Erik honestly wasn't sure if he could beat Max in a fight, although they were very evenly matched. Once finished carving all the circles, he sat back and waited for Max to begin his volley of shots. "Go ahead, the targets are ready!" he yelled halfway across the clearing.

While he watched Maximilian shoot his targets, Erik grabbed his grandfather's quill and ink that he always carried with him, and began glyphing on his hand, watching all the intricate details to get everything right. Slowly drawing the circles, he made a mental note to improve his somewhat crude style, maybe because he never was a good drawer. Line after line, block after block, he slowly began finishing the sigil. Noticing he was running out of space on his palm, he began using his other palm, and his arms. Erik remembered when he first learned glyphing, the awe he had when his teacher showed him how he could store spells in glyphs. "Those were the good old days..." he said to no one in particular. So much time had passed since then, so many things had happened. Still drawing the intricate patterns and lines, he finished his focus and proceeded to draw the barrier, surrounding the focus with a very crude, inefficient design, sighing to himself as he yearned for the days where he could create beautiful designs and store powerful magic, instead of this crude mix and matching. "Another line here...." he said, talking to himself yet again. Finishing up the barrier, he proceeded to his final task, the trigger. Linking it to his barrier, he slowly began the curves and circles required for an operation so high above his level of skill. He spent several minutes sweating in thought, beads of sweat dripping onto his palm while he wrote. He set the magical word to "GO", to save time and since nobody else would be around to accidentally say it. Finishing the last sweep of his quill, Erik admired his work, and watched Max, waiting for him to finish while shouting words of encouragement.

[/size][/list]
Last edited by Paris on July 24th, 2013, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paris

Character sheet

Postby Maximilian Walsh on July 30th, 2012, 5:28 am

Not even two seconds after I said it, Erik was already digging into his loaf of bread. By the time I whooped out my stale bread, Erik had slung his half way down. As he chewed the hard, chrunchy bits of bread, he thought about what they would do today. "Would I practice with my bow, perhaps my dagger? Would I help Erik morphing into me?", Maximilian thought to himself, as he took another bite. "Next time I'll be sure to buy fresh bread, this just doesn't cut it" murmurs Max, Erik obviously not hearing him. Erik sat silently till I gobbled mine up, and we both remained seated. Max loves climbing around, thus sitting on a tree, as Erik sat in the grass. The area was great, and sitting in a tree I had all the shade I needed. For the next half an hour we discussed every subject imaginable. Still wondering what Maximilian was going to do today, he took a glimpse at Erik, who was Carving. Carving Targets.

As Erik was setting up the targets, Maximilian clutched his shortbow, remembering his fathers words, to never lose focus. To concentrate on the target, and to shoot to kill. Go hard or go home. "Go ahead, the targets are ready!" Erik yelled. Max hopped off of the tree, throwing his backpack to Eriks, and positioning his dagger so it won't get in his way. There he stands, cracking his knuckles before starting. He raises his bow, pulls out an arrow, places it, and Hit! Max looked around to see if Erik had noticed, but he was busy practicing his glyphing. Another two hits. It would be a relaxed day, Max thought. Grasping another arrow, and placing it, Maximilian got another direct hit. Stepping forth and retrieving his arrows, Maximilian admired Eriks carving skill, such fine lines, "You sure are talented with your hands, aren't you?" Maximilian says to Erik, but he's zoned out in his own world. Walking back, a bit further now, since the previous run was not a challenge for him. Wandering off in thoughts, Max misses and his arrow flies right into a tree to the left of the bark target. "Focus!" Maximilian tells himself, and the second arrow hits the center, smoothly. As he hit the next two in the second circle, still pleased with his skill, he walks forth to retrieve them. "So beautiful" Max says to himself. The birds are singing, and the view is amazing. He enjoys getting out of the life of a Thief and stepping in the shoes of Maximilian, whom is mother sure would be proud of. As he walks back a little further than last time, Erik begins cheering. He positions the first arrow, "I assume you're done now?" Max says, and Erik nicks in response. He lets the arrow fly, and it's a direct hit, just like the three following shots, as Maximilian shakes it off as if it was no big deal, he asks, "So, what do we do now?".

My "words"
My thoughts
Your "words"
Maximilian Walsh
And you are?

Words: 22425
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2012, 12:51 am
Character sheet

Postby Paris on July 30th, 2012, 12:02 pm

NOTEAgreed beforehand in chat.

Once Max finished his archery, which was mostly a success other than a single miss, he asked Erik what to do now. Although he had morphed his own face quite a few times, until now Erik had never attempted to copy someone else's face, something he knew acquired very good attention to detail, even if he could morph twice as fast, he couldn't morph twice as accurate, and had to be careful because of the fact. "Sit down over here." he asked Max, pointing at a tree stump. For this he'd need a completely still, willing target as he practiced until he had the model in memory. Erik spent a good 20-30 minutes simply watching Max, walking around him, observing every last detail. The bright blue shades of his eyes, his dark, dark black hair, the slight curve of his mouth when he smirked, every last detail had to be remembered or it wouldn't be a true copy. He noted the bone structure of his face, the prominent cheek bones narrowing into his chin in a swift, slight curve. Max had a very thin face, he noticed. He took in the ears, having to brush away Max's hair as he did so. "You should get a hair cut, Max." he said, almost to himself. Taking in the curve of the ear, and even going so far as to inspect Max's inner ear to get the anvil, hammer and stirrup bones correctly copied. "Almost done here, thanks for being patient. I'm almost finished and we can start our first morph attempt" he said, to make sure Max wasn't getting bored or about to give up. Taking in the neck and Max's adam's apple, he noticed the position of his adam's apple in relation to his neck and veins, making sure he could copy it so that if he were ever to have his form closely inspected, it would be, externally, the exact same thing. He took in Max's prominent, pointed noise, much unlike most noses he had seen before. He finished off by observing all small details, like birthmarks and scars, most of which were on or around the neck. "Now for the voice, Max" he said. "Please keep talking, I need to remember your voice under exact conditions. Sing the do re mi scale or whatever it's called until I ask you to stop.", he added. He took into account Max's voice in a high and low pitch, watching the neck as it contracted to create the sounds he was hearing. He knew the voice would be hard to reproduce, but had to try if he wanted to convince anyone. "Just a few more times!" Erik yelled. Minutes later, Erik was done, or so he hoped. He had the voice memorized to the best of his abilities, and thought he could replicate it to a very close degree of perfection. Although they had been friends since early adolescence, when they met in the forest at 13, Erik had never examined his friend so closely, and this was only his face! Although he could will an image of Max into his mind before, never could he do so with detail, and now he was surprised at how much he had overlooked before closely observing his friend. With all his thoughts in place, and all his details memorized, Erik was ready to begin.

"Max, I'm going to start morphing. If you're somewhat queasy about watching my skin stretch and pull, look away now." he said. He didn't think Max would do so either way, being the tough person he is, but it never hurts to ask he thought to himself. Erik became conscious of his breaths, getting into a slow, steady pattern to relax himself. He looked at the sigil on his palm, double checking it one last time to be sure it would work, and began to morph. He recalled every detail about Max, willing his flesh to push, pull, and twist until it had perfectly mimicked Max's face and neck. He had his flesh pull apart slightly to create the scars, and willed the birthmarks into place. He pulled and pushed his cheekbones until they were the proper height, and elongated his nose to imitate Max's. He remembered Max's voice, and morphed his Larynx, elongating the tubes ever so slightly so as to get Max's deeper, more serious voice. He finished with some overlooked details, growing and shrinking his hair, and changing his hair to a dark black color. He remembered all the details of the eye, getting the somewhat unique-to-everyone pattern inside the eye, and finished by making his eye color blue. He made his ears slightly larger, and changed the bones inside the ear curve to perfectly mimic Max's hammer, anvil, and stirrup bones. He finalized the morph with the mouth, although there wasn't much to change. "I'm finished!" he said, noticing with delight he had gotten Max's voice down perfectly, at least to the naked senses. He took in the mix of surprise and shock from Max as a compliment, realizing his friend would only have such a reaction if he had imitated him perfectly.

With the test good and done, Erik slowly morphed back to his normal self, confident in his new abilities. He knew the next few times would take much less effort by comparison. "Want to spar with those scary daggers of yours?" Erik said, in almost a mocking tone. When he heard that yes, he immediately began preparing his own defense. As he had no weapon to parry with while sending air blasts (Erik would never dream of sending a fireball to Max, because of the risks involved), Erik morphed an exoskeleton on to his fists and lower arms, remembering the ant he had observed the other day. After a few minutes of willing his flesh to be harder and pointed like an exoskeleton, while keeping in mind the laws of Elasticity, Erik was ready. He mentally cleared himself, and got into a sparring position. "Your move first." he added, ready to block Max's flurry of dagger movement that he was almost certain the eager rogue would try to open with.

Paris

Character sheet