any advice for animal forms?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Scandal on August 6th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Kelivcs can only be mammals or birds. They cannot be insects, fish, or other forms of creatures unless special permission is given via the Help Desk. ...Talderian or Dire Kelvics now require special permission (with the exception being Dire Polar Bears starting in Avanthal) due to the huge influx of such animals.

I have my heart set on playing a Kelvic. Originally I was thinking of a black domestic cat, but... other ideas have been creeping into my little mind. Besides a domestic feline I have been toying with the idea of possibly an orca Kelvic. :o So, I got to wondering...

Besides what is stated in the above quote, are there any mammals/birds that are off limits because it's been decided that particular species simply does not exist on Mizahar? Or off limits for PCs because of oddness, silliness, or difficulty that specific animal may present in an rp?
I mean, I haven't browsed through all the CSs, but I haven't seen any platypus, giraffe, rhino or lemming Kelvics yet, but there is a skunk :p

Being a newb to Mizahar would it be suggested I stick with one of the more common Kelvic species, like a canine or feline?
Scandal
Player

Words: 3291
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2012, 4:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on August 6th, 2012, 11:49 pm

I think the only reason such animals haven't been made is because most people just tend to lean towards birds, dogs, wolves, and cats. But as long as you play the animal appropriately to its nature, you should be fine with any mammalian species.

Personally I think we have more than enough canine and feline, and I'd love to see someone playing a more exotic animal type. Just make sure you do some research on things like what it eats and what its natural tendencies are, and you should be fine.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Scandal on August 7th, 2012, 12:03 am

Thank you! :D
Scandal
Player

Character sheet

Postby Rhy on August 7th, 2012, 1:46 am

And now for some completely opposite advice:

I'd try to find something familiar and useful. First of all you'd have to fit in somewhere or you would be stuck as a human. This is where something too exotic or something sea based would be a drawback. And secondly, if you can find a way to be useful to someone it would be easier to find companions and bond mates. Not to mention some awesome jobs only you can preform. I know a kelvic ferret that works in a library catching rats, for instance.

All in all its up to you. As long as you keep some sort of goal in mind and know the basics of behaviour then the RP will be fun either way. :)
Rhy
Luvanor bitch Kelvic

Words: 133318
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2012, 4:24 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on August 7th, 2012, 3:03 am

Rhy makes a good point. Perhaps you can find a balancing point?

For example, as much as a Kelvic giraffe would seem funny and interesting, Rhy is correct that it would be KINDA hard to play one in the city. After all, a giraffe can't wander the streets the way a dog or cat can.

But, perhaps there's something you can be that has a taste of that exoticism while still fitting into a city? Like the Kelvic skunk you mentioned... they can blend in more easily, but they're still more unique than having another dog or cat Kelvic running around.

So something like a lemming would be a better choice than, say, a rhino. Or something else 'unusual' that still blends in well enough, such as a sugar glider, marmoset, panda, or something like that.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Scandal on August 7th, 2012, 4:16 am

Maybe that's my problem. I'm not thinking long term goals for my character, instead only thinking about present day and short term rp.

Felines & canines are easy to observe in real life, are common companions and can be useful as can other common real world pets.

When I first started thinking of a character I started with the race that caught my attention most - the Kelvic. Then, I decided on an avatar and chose beautiful model. After a few minutes I was thinking Yeah, she'll be a domestic cat. Cats are sexy. She can be someone's sexy lil' pet! That's as far as my thinking went with that. I was stuck. Later, I began browsing more pics of my avatar and came upon these beautiful black & white photos of her on a beach, and soon the ideas of a dolphin or killer whale hit me. But, yet again, I was not thinking long term....

So, thank you both for the smack on the back of the head! :p
I should be thinking about what I want my character to do and who I want her to possibly become, not just what would be cool & fun & sexy to play.
Scandal
Player

Character sheet

Re: any advice for animal forms?

Postby Pash'nar on August 7th, 2012, 11:57 am

I think it's also important to keep in mind the behavior and personality traits of the animal you choose since, at the heart of things, kelvics are animals who can take human shape not humans who take animal form. A slight twist in semantics, but an important distinction for a Kelvic character.

You're an animal learning to live with human characteristics in addition to your instincts and species preferences for eating and sleeping.

I agree that's probably why less exotic animals are common PCs; it's easier to blend into society and find a bondmate as a domestic cat or hunting dog or falcon, etc. But it would still be interesting to meet less common, more surprising animal choices.

It would be more limiting to play an orca or a seal, with permission of course, but it could be fun (my PC spends most of his time on the Suvan, so foorgive the sea-faring suggestions). Otters. We joke a lot about seeing a platypus (adorbs). Albatross or penguin or puffin or sea gull. But, in the end, if you have a oersonality in mind, it's best to find an animal whose own personality and habits complement your goals and direction. :)
Pash'nar
There's always room for more.

Words: 295535
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 3:51 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Scandal on August 7th, 2012, 7:46 pm

With a sea-faring mammal Kelvic you would still be able to travel to all five regions, and each seems to have atleast one city near the sea. And, there would be ample opportunity to meet different and interesting characters upon the waters and the coastlines. Just traveling further inland may be more than a little unpleasant.
This was my thinking anyway...

So, I will not be going the way of an orca with this character (but I will consider the idea for another character :p ). I'm instead going with -as of this writing- a fairly common critter... the hare. Did ya know they box?
I also have been working on a character concept, a long term goal for my possibly very short-lived character.

I also understand that Kelvics are animals with human forms. This has been driven home to me here & in PMs. I will do my best to play my PC in that way.

Thank you all for responding, and sharing your advice, suggestions and opinions. You've helped me a great deal! :D
Scandal
Player

Character sheet

Re: any advice for animal forms?

Postby Pash'nar on August 8th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Ooh. I actually can't think of any other hare kelvucs. That's fun. They box with their feet? Heehee.

My cousins are reading the Redwall series for the first time, so we've been talking about fighting animals a lot lately. Now I will imagine your character with an accent. ;)
Pash'nar
There's always room for more.

Words: 295535
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 3:51 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Scandal on August 8th, 2012, 4:03 pm

I am unfamiliar with the Redwall series. The last fantasy novel I read was probably something in the DragonLance series, and that was years ago. Sadly, nowadays the only novels I read are graphic novels.
Scandal
Player

Character sheet

Next