Quest Dead Like Me

In which a Ghost and a Nuit Find Common Ground.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 13th, 2012, 3:06 pm

A misunderstanding had been averted. Anselm had not seen anything else of interest auristically. The exhausted-looking Mr. Gravis was obviously a genuine spiritist. Anselm turned to Mr. Thomas.

“As I recall,” he said. “You indicated that the strange phenomena occur only at night. It would seem that our best course of action is to wait through the night and see what happens.”

He sat on an upholstered high-backed chair against one wall and folded his hands together in his lap.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on September 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Gravis stiffened at the appearance of Noaru, and he scrutinized the ghost briefly before nodding, lowering the hand crossbow. He glanced at Mister Thomas, who gave a bemused shrug in Anselm's direction, and replied with a nonchalant shrug of his own. The spiritist proceeded to walk ahead of Noaru, looking far ahead as if peering through the walls as he hummed a soft but eerie sounding melody to himself, irregularly making subtle clicking sounds with his tongue as he surveyed the area.

"Other than your partner, Mister Anselm, I cannot find credible evidence that points to the existence of spiritual activity here. Yet, the signs remain strange, for I continue to feel... that..."

Trailing off in silence, he looked ahead again, and if Anselm kept the silence and do the same he would begin to feel the same unsettling depression that first affected Noaru creep in, slowly gnawing away at the sanity of his soul.

"Perhaps we should wait, but I do not like tarrying in this place," The balding employer shivered, taking a chair and placing it closer to the younger spiritist as he waited with the nuit who was enterprising enough to find his own chair.

It was almost for Leth to take control of the sky, and time ticked by as few moments passed by in awkward silence. The spiritist was deep in conversation with Mister Thomas as they talked in low voices, and if Anselm were to keep the silence he would continue to feel the unease within him worsen. Despite being a ghost, Noaru would begin to feel the same as well, and even with his penchant for despair and such negative emotions even he would feel the seed of unease settling into his ghostly core.

A crow squawked outside, though the pair paid no attention as they continued their discussion. If Anselm were to glance towards the shadowed inner depths of the mansion for a long enough time, he would begin to see shadows creeping and moving occasionally, though he might chalk it up to fatigue and imagination for the uncertainty was too large to determine anything.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on September 17th, 2012, 6:14 am

''There it is.... That feeling again! This presence dwelling within this house, it brings about the feeling of despair within one's soul, its unquestionable that whatever resides within these empty walls will remain a mystery to even my eyes.’’

The spirit let out a sigh, nightfall was quickly approaching and the ''caw'' from the crow outside seemed a bit ominous, he thinks of the bird of being a tad bit suspicious, squinting his eyes in response of its caw! He puts the suspicion of the crow having any connection to this place behind him because how could a simple bird be responsible for this? It had no purpose here! Now that he was finished raging with himself inside his inner thoughts, he proceeded to listen to what the spiritist was mentioning about that ''feeling'' and it being the only from his view credible evidence they have. Noaru felt a bit out of place here: clearly he wasn't able to do much besides wait for nightfall to fully encroach onto the land.

''So, I'm sure that everyone else can sense that feeling right?... Then if so, why not delve into the very depths of this house and discover its secrets?’’

That was probably something very unwise thing to say Noaru thought but it was at least a little something to break this deafening silence!
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 21st, 2012, 1:19 pm

As darkness settled in, Anselm delved into his past. He was now convinced that they were not dealing with a Ghost. But if not a Ghost, then what? The old Nuit had wandered the lands of Mizahar for nearly four centuries. He had encountered many strange things in that time. He now searched his memory for something similar to this, and began to formulate several hypotheses.

“Noaru,” he said, his gravelly voice rumbling ominously in the gloom. “You may be on to something. Perhaps we should delve into the depths of the house's secrets. You are a strapping young … whatever you are … could I impose on you to assist me in a little experiment. I would like you to rearrange the furniture.”

Gravis and Thomas stopped talking and stared at him.

“Rearrange the furniture?” Gravis asked. “Why on earth would you want to do that? Does the current arrangement offend you?” He looked at Thomas who merely shrugged and shook his head slowly.

“Humor me,” Anselm said. “Noaru, see if you can find a more pleasing arrangement for this room.”
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on September 22nd, 2012, 7:05 pm

“ I'll see what I can do!’’

Noaru believed he had enough power to move some of the furniture but he was limited in just how much he could actually move, he had to be careful not to over-exert himself or he'll be forced into a slumber because of fatigue! He proceeded into placing both of his palms onto the sofa near him, soulmist swirls around the object, reacting to his will... Finally, it moves and Noaru pushes the sofa towards the wall so that it wouldn't both block the entrance to the stairs or become an obstacle in their path, if they needed to make a hasty escape.

“ This is the most I can do, moving things one at a time... My power is limited but if you do not discover something right away. I will move the other furniture.’’
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on September 24th, 2012, 3:21 am

Gravis and Thomas were slightly surprised by the investigator's sudden request, but they shrugged and proceeded to help rearrange the furniture. Noaru could only help so far, so they proceeded to finish the rest, placing the tables together and the chairs around in a circle.

"This is much more aesthetically pleasing, isn't it?" Gravis murmured, dusting off his hands. It seemed that he had more in mind, for he began to take out a leather pouch from his pocket. Walking in a perimeter around this furniture arrangement, he started placing small metallic-looking beads around the furniture, forming a dotted circle of sorts outside the circle of chairs.

"This should form a relative safe-zone in case shyke gets real," Gravis gestured. Thomas took a noticeable step into the circle, although he did try to make it seem as discreet as possible to maintain his dignity.

There was a low humming sound that sounded like it came from deep within the mansion, yet it resonated through everyone's minds. However, it was only noticeable if one paid close attention due to the low frequency of the sound, and it only lasted while they were moving the chairs together. If Anselm cared to recall, he would realize that there was no sound earlier when they moved the chairs a little, only when the moving was done in a concerted and larger-scale manner.

"Now what?"

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 24th, 2012, 2:11 pm

OOC :
I forgot that ghosts have to expend soulmist to move things. Sorry about that. Thanks Arcane for covering it.

Thomas and Gravis pitched in when it became obvious that Noaru was not well suited for heavy lifting. Anselm did not. He remained in his chair and watched. That was the whole point of the exercise: to see what would happen when the house's interior was changed. And being the competent observer that he was, he noticed that the level of response from the house was more or less proportional to the amount of furniture being moved at any given time. He had no doubt that if they were to begin knocking down walls, they would provoke a much more significant, possibly even dangerous, reaction.

“Perhaps we have done enough interior decorating,” the old Nuit rumbled. He waited until the two men took their seats and Noaru located himself nearby. He spoke slowly, as though carefully considering each word.

“I believe I know what we are dealing with,” he said. His eyes wandered around the room as he spoke, although there was no way for the others to know that since his face was hidden under the hood and he was not turning his head. “But first I need to confirm a few things.” He turned to his employer. “Mr. Thomas, you and Mr. Gravis are free to leave now. Noaru and I can handle things from here. If you return tomorrow evening at the same time, I believe I will be in a position to give you a full explanation for the strange goings-on in this house.”

The two men seemed more than happy to leave the disturbing house. A few minutes later they were on their way back to the city. Anselm turned to Noaru.

“If you are willing to assist me a little more, I have a task for which you are uniquely suited,” he said. “I believe that if you walk – or float or blink or whatever you do – around the outside of the house, you will find that the strange presence in this place extends only a little ways beyond the exterior walls. I would like you to map out the boundaries of the presence. In the meantime, I must return to Zeltiva to do some research. I will come back late tomorrow afternoon. Is that acceptable?”

If Noaru proved amendable to this plan, Anselm would take his leave. But before leaving he would add, “You are quite safe as long as you don't disturb anything.”

Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on September 28th, 2012, 4:04 am

“I see no harm that will come to me by simply doing that... I accept!’’

Noaru believed in many things and his crazy imaginations have always taken the best of him but this... This was insane! He had gotten into something mysteriously BIG and he was the first to discover and have some insight on the ''living house'': maybe he would be able to tell spooky stories about this place or what not, he could lure criminals here or posses them and send them to their doom... with the help of this house. The scheming spirits eyes glowed with anticipation and excitement, he wanted to find out what exactly was the existence here that could make him feel uncomfortable and nervous was!

However, Noaru couldn't allow the excitement within be seen, noooo... it would ruin his calm disposition, he had to wait till everyone left the building before he could release his bottled up joy!
“ ’’
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on September 28th, 2012, 9:34 am

The two of them seemed surprised at Anselm's sudden declaration. Thomas Gravis seemed unperturbed however, and he merely needed a nod of confirmation from his employer before he packed up the soul beads and prepared to depart. He was not exactly interested in the mystery, and only followed orders so as to prevent his master's firm from closing down. It was all about the money.

"In that case, Mister Anselm, I bid you farewell and I expect a detailed report as to the conclusions of your investigation," Mister Thomas replied, all too happy to leave the area. Together, they left the mansion without much hassle. A normal homeowner would have made provisions for locking the door and such, but it was likely that no sane citizen would want to intrude on such a place anyway. The mansion was perfectly safe as it were.

OOCAnselm feel free to indicate any "time-skips" if you intend to have any. Since you've left the mansion and the company of the two NPCs, you're pretty much free to self-mod things until you require the NPC's presence, or if you continue to seek more clues regarding the mansion and the mystery.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 28th, 2012, 1:56 pm

The next morning Anselm went to the Wright Memorial Library. He had been here many times before and knew what section of the library would contain the knowledge he sought. The section on Pre-Valterrian Creatures and Beings had only three books devoted to the subject he was interested in. Anselm spent the morning and early afternoon reading them. Their contents was an undifferentiated mix of rumors, myths, second-hand reports and the occasional first-hand experience, but the Nuit culled from these sources the information he needed.

He returned to the mansion. But instead of going in, he wandered over to a small collection of cottages situated just outside the city gates. An old woman was sweeping the ground in front of her house.

“Dear lady,” he said. “I wonder if you might assist me?”

She eyed him suspiciously. “Saw you yesterday, I did,” she said. “Wid that Thomas fellow and that spiritist.”

“Indeed,” Anselm replied. “I am considering purchasing the old house from him. I wonder if you can tell me anything about its previous owners?”

She made some kind of sign with her fingers and spat on the ground in front of him. “It's cursed, that house is,” she said. “Best leave it be.” She turned and went into her cottage, shutting the door behind her.

Anselm talked with two other locals and a guard before returning to the mysterious old house to find out what Noaru had learned about the house while he was gone.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext