A Pocket Picked (Volinir)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Cassidy Finch on September 23rd, 2012, 7:00 pm

Satisfied that Volinir wouldn't be able to see anything that he shouldn't, Velvet quickly peeled out of her soiled clothes. They stuck to her unpleasantly and left her bare skin feeling dirty. The slave grimaced as she dropped them to the floor with a wet slapping sound; they really would need a thorough washing. She bent down and retrieved the roughspun blanked that would be her garment until her clothes were cleaned. It took her a few chimes to tie it and secure it in a way that wouldn't leave her too exposed and wouldn't be at risk of falling down. Even then, it still had a slightly lower neckline that she'd have liked; it left her shoulders bare, too.

With a resigned sigh, the woman said, "Done, Volinir." Velvet picked her clothes up off the ground and held them at a slight distance from her body. "You can turn around." She looked around for a few ticks for any soap of any kind, and was unsurprised that there was nothing of the sort to help out. I'll just have to live with the stains, Velvet thought with an internal cringe. Sevris definitely wouldn't be happy. Placing her clothes back on the ground near the bucket, the slave knelt down and began to draw water from the lake below.
Cassidy Finch
Player

Words: 68836
Joined roleplay: August 15th, 2012, 3:38 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Volinir Orchid on September 24th, 2012, 4:03 am

After what felt like an absurd amount of time to be putting on clothes, Velvet finally said "Done, Volinir."
The Symenestra spun back around, raising an eyebrow for a moment at her bare shoulders before passing over the minor detail in favor of attending to the clothes. Walking over and squatting next to her, Volinir immersed the grimy garments in water she drew up, and, lacking a washboard, rubbed them roughly against the hard and porous wood. It wasn't the most perfect job, but after a few repetitions, the clothes were starting to look like they used to, if a bit more worn and soggy.

Volinir was silent for the better part of it, not speaking unless spoken to. There was work to be done, and really, what was there to talk about? Of course, it was also habit from a much less inviting environment. One often doesn't think about the origins of their habits, though. After the last of the clothes were washed, Volinir let them fall with a wet thud, then got up and turned around again. "There you are. Hopefully saved you a beating." he said somewhat curtly. He was already doing all this for a human, he didn't need to act saccharine sweet as well.
Volinir Orchid
Little spiderling

Words: 88577
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cassidy Finch on September 24th, 2012, 9:17 pm

The slave waited with patience as the Symenestra took care of her clothes. She hadn't been counting on that, though it was pretty lucky that he did it. Velvet hadn't known how she was going to get the muck out of them without risking her covering falling loose. After the clothes were finally cleansed of their filth, Volinir dropped them to the ground. "There you are. Hopefully saved you a beating," He said brusquely. The man sounded like it was distasteful to even be in her presence, much less helping her!

Somewhat huffily, Velvet bent down to pick her clothes up on one hand, holding her blanket up with the other. "Thank you," The slave told him in a tone that matched his exactly, "May I let them dry a little?" She asked, giving Volinir a halfhearted glare. He'd helped her out of a tight spot, and she didn't want to be ungrateful. Velvet couldn't just let him act like that! It annoyed her, since she'd have done the same for another slave, and done it with a smile. All right, maybe not a smile. Or for most people. It didn't matter, he still should be a bit nicer about it if he was going to help people!
Cassidy Finch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Volinir Orchid on September 26th, 2012, 4:18 am

Volinir was in a strange spot. One minute, he was remembering he was helping a human, another a slave, and the result was veering between acting like a jerk and acting like... Himself. Velvet's irritation just made him feel guilty. Again. Why was he insisting on treating her one way because she was human?

Yes, his kind were better than she was, but he wasn't. Really, it didn't kill him to act nice. There wasn't any real need to be rude. Not to her, this one time, if nothing else. He wasn't going to apologize, though.

Instead, he flashed Velvet the brightest smile he could muster and nodded. "I'm afraid there isn't much I can spare in terms of food. Getting it can be a little hard, which would be why I tried to... You know."

The Symenestra grimaced and started wringing the slave's clothes. Today was an odd day indeed.
Volinir Orchid
Little spiderling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cassidy Finch on September 29th, 2012, 4:08 pm

"I'm afraid there isn't much I can spare in terms of food. Getting it can be a little hard, which would be why I tried to... You know," Volinir said with a smile so big that it seemed a little silly. Taken by surprise, the slave just watched him wring out her clothes without a word in response. The gangling man went from being sullen and grudging her very presence to...this. Velvet decided in the end to just go with it; his new attitude was much better and she didn't want to spoil it.

"I understand," She replied with a grateful smile, "You're doing enough for me already," Though it was his fault that she was in this mess to begin with, Volinir didn't have to help her. She wanted to let him know that his help was appreciated; most people would have not only taken her money, but kicked her once or twice for good measure. Once the clothes were dry, the slave took them from Volinir. If the man turned around of his own accord, she would get dressed and say, "Thanks again for all of your help."

If not, she'd give him a warning look and scold him about his lack of decency.
Cassidy Finch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Volinir Orchid on October 3rd, 2012, 3:33 am

"I understand," Velvet with a grateful smile, "You're doing enough for me already. "Thanks again for all of your help."
Volinir shrugged dismissively as he turned to allow her to change. "Forget about it. It was nothing." he said evenly. The Symenestra was still smiling, though. He had to admit, being the good guy for once felt... Well... Good.

It was nice to be appreciated instead of scorned. Even if he likely wouldn't see the slave again for quite a long time, it was still nice to know that he had made a positive difference, any difference really, somewhere.

The thief waved lazily to her, his back still turned. "Take care of yourself, Velvet. Hopefully the next time we meet will be more cheerful."
Volinir Orchid
Little spiderling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cassidy Finch on October 9th, 2012, 7:46 pm

With a nonchalant wave, Volinir dismissed her with the words, "Take care of yourself, Velvet. Hopefully the next time we meet will be more cheerful." Normally, she would have resented the lack of eye contact involved in the farewell. Wasn't that how equals usually parted? Still, she knew that the man didn't think himself better than she did; he wouldn't have given her money back or helped her if he had.

"You too, Volinir. I hope we meet again soon." The slave replied with a friendly smile, though she knew that he couldn't see it. "Who knows? I might be able to help repay the favor." True, it was all his fault that Velvet had needed his help, but she still felt like she owed him. She turned and departed, forcing the wooden door shut after her with a loud scraping sound. Soon, her mind turned to other matters as she worked her way back to familiar streets; Velvet hoped that her master wasn't at home so she could get herself cleaned up and ready for his arrival. Another day of slavery, yet it seemed a little less burdensome than it had before. The slave knew that she wasn't alone, and more importantly, she knew that there was always hope for escape. Volinir had done it, why couldn't she?
Cassidy Finch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Persona on October 28th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Thread Award!

Cassidy Finch (Velvet):

Skills:
Observation +1
Interrogation +2
Subterfuge +1
Socialization +1
Persuasion +1
Negotiation +1

Lores:
Volinir: A Thief and Former Slave

Extras:
Ledger: -2 GM

Notes:
For future reference: I feel the need to point out that Ravok is NOT a filthy city. There are slaves whose sole job is to keep it clean. The Docks might be a little dirtier than the rest of the city, but not by much. ;)

Thread List: It is generally preferred for you to keep a list of all threads in which you are currently participating, not just those that have been completed and graded. :)

Volinir Orchid:

Skills:
Larceny +1
Climbing +1
Negotiation +1
Intimidation +1
Socialization +2
Persuasion +1
Laundry +1

Lores:
Sevris Lazarin: Velvet’s Owner

Extras:
Ledger: +2 GM

Notes:
You CS claims you live in a standard apartment, but that doesn’t match the description of the house in this thread. It might be nice to make those consistent ;)

If you feel this grade was unfair in any way, or would like to request changes to this grade, please feel free to PM me and we can discuss it.
Persona
The Wildcard

Words: 41121
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous