Mizahar's Sunday Bakeoff: Pie-Off Edition!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Cayenne on May 15th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Hi everyone!

It's that time of the month again - time for the next monthly bakeoff, that is! Tomorrow (Sunday, May 16th) is Mizahar's second-ever bakeoff (you can see the results from April's here).

This month's recipe: there isn't one!

That's right! You get to pick your own - it can be any type of pie you want. The only rules are that you make it from scratch and post some pictures here (of the process/completed product), and heck, we'd love the recipes and your opinion on them. How did they turn out? Do you recommend it? Would you make it again?

Entrants will receive the epically awesome Power Fork award. You know you want it!

Good luck and happy baking!
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Cayenne on May 18th, 2010, 3:36 am

Well, this is a day late - but my pie did not set in time (I baked it late), so it had to set overnight.

This pie was freaking awesome. Seriously. I cannot recommend it enough.

Here it is.

Raw Pie Shell:

Baked Crust:

Lemon Filling Mixture:

Filling in the Crust:

Uncooked Meringue!

Out of the Oven:

Cut into!

After looking at those pictures, I've decided I'm seriously not going to be a food stylist. XD;;

But anyway, here's the recipe!

Selena's Gramma's Lemon Meringue Pie!
½ c. lemon juice
1 ½ c. sugar
6 tbls corn starch
¼ tsp salt
½ c cold water
3 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
2 tbls margarine
1 ½ c boiling water
1 tsp lemon zest
Pie crust
¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
6 tbls sugar

1 ½ c sugar, mix with corn starch and salt in a saucepan. Blend in juice, cold water and beaten egg yolks. Add margarine, and then add boiling water gradually. Turn on heat and bring this to a boil while stirring, 3-4 minutes until thickened. Stir in zest. Let cool a little, then pour into pie crust.

Beat egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Then add sugar gradually and beat until stiff.

Bake at 350 until meringue gets brown.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Dusk on May 18th, 2010, 3:50 am

Aw, my gramma would totally be proud!!

Since Mish was making one of my pies, I made one of hers: the Schadenfreude Pie she posted up on the cooking thread. My sister didn't know what "schadenfreude" meant, and went I explained it to her she said "So you're a jackass. I'm calling this Jackass Pie." And thus is it known in my house. My mom and sister ate almost all of it today.

Here is the pie:

I also made some homemade whipped cream, which is here on the pie (we really like whipped cream):

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)