[Flashback] Shadows Split by Pain (Phoenix)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Charon on March 26th, 2010, 1:01 am

Early Fall in the year 406 AV

The early autumn air had a crisp edge of bitter coolness surrounding the men as they descended the magnificently crafted and beautiful paths at a comfortable pace. The leaves still clung to the trees in an ever increasing struggle and their fight would persist for several more weeks to come, but the morning mists rolling off the Suvan Sea were accompanied by a taste of things to come. Winters in Riverfall were harsh and the days became difficult to enjoy with such frigid air riding on strong winds from the west. Those thoughts, however, were far from these two as they took time to spend with each other while the ambiance remained temperate.

Mythas enjoyed spending time with his son. The Akalak felt maintaining strong ties with their sons was an important piece in the preservation of their race. It created a bond shared not only amongst families but the effects were felt throughout the community. Theirs was not a race to take for granted and everyday they strove to ensure their path to growth remained on course. This day, Mythas wanted to reconnect with Phoenix and ensure their own relationship was strong. The older of the two men had his mind occupied with many different things over the last season or two and needed this day to reunite with what was truly important in his life.

Riverfall was unbelievably tall for a city. This was something the Akalak knew and lived with but visitors marveled at, especially when they came in via the sea and could size up the three thousand foot face of the city all at once on a clear day. The father-son duo worked their way downward through the city and carried on light conversation, laughing at sights and sounds along the way, simply enjoying the company. There was no hunt today, no training needing attention, and no studies to work on. It was a rarity, but one which Mythas would take advantage of.

"We'll head to the docks," Mythas decided aloud as they jumped over a row of jagged boulders before the path turned back the opposite direction. At this rate, they would be there around midday. "How goes your training, Phoenix? You are no doubt putting forth everything you have. You always knew how to do what is expected- and then more. But how are things?" It had been an uncharacteristically long time since he had just talked with his son and with this bright day he was not going to pass on the chance to really learn who he had become and who he was becoming.
| - Riverfall - | - Akalak - | - Starting Guide - |

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Words: 99186
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2010, 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Phoenix_Shadow on April 2nd, 2010, 7:14 pm

Phoenix smiled as Mythas talked with him. He enjoyed riding horses and he hadn't seen his father in some time which he knew was not uncharacteristic of Akalak society but it was nice to see him again.
"Thank you father." He said when Mythas said he knew how to do what was needed and more. Truth be told he looked up to his father and in Phoenix's mind he was not half the warrior his father was but that kept him motivated for the most part that and he was stubborn even from his initiation test he knew that. Then after his father asked how things were going he nodded. "They have been saying I am progressing well above many in my class, while it is an honor to have them consider me as such, I still feel I'm just tring to do what is needed for Riverfall." Phoenix went on saying how he felt how his training was serious. "I train how I want to fight." He said as one point. Phoenix also said how he took time to always improve his fighting and also he took time to appreciate the natural world around when he was not spending time helping Riverfall as he put it. Once he was done catching up with current events he looked to Mythas.
"How have things been with you father, it has been a long time. I am glad to see you again." Phoenix said then he waited for is father's response.

OOC: Sorry for the delay I was sick for a bit, I should be back to normal now.

Derik :ninja:
Phoenix_Shadow
Player

Words: 7089
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2009, 1:56 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Charon on April 4th, 2010, 11:04 pm

The pair continued to move through the city and observed the mighty Suvan Sea grow ever larger as they wound their way to the lowest tier. Though father and son, the trek should have had an air of happiness and jovial reunion, but there was something between them that stagnated any thoughts of this being the most pleasant interaction. If asked to pin point what this feeling was, it would have been difficult for either men to name it. Though Mythas would have an idea, he still could not explain why this feeling was occurring.

"That's wonderful news, Phoenix," Mythas commented on his training and progression through his classes. Though not expecting anything less, it was always encouraging to a father to hear that his son was excelling in studies that he was expected to learn for his community and his race. Even considering his distracted state of mind and the distance put between him and his son, a positive report about training gave Mythas a sense of fatherly pride. It was important for an Akalak to have strong bloodlines and this news gave Mythas hope that his son would achieve his dreams in life and remain a strong member of the community. This was something Mythas desperately hoped that his son would surpass him in.

When asked about his own well being, Mythas almost snapped out of a hazy daze his mind had receded toward. The sea was almost upon them as the salts could be identified in the air and the city paths were becoming more level than before. He let these thoughts briefly distract him from offering a response to his son, but finally he replied taking careful consideration not to make eye contact. "Things continue to be the same for me. For that I cannot complain." The answer may have been truncated, but the pair arrived at the docks and Mythas kept his eyes out to sea as if mesmerized by the scenic beauty of the body of water he had spent his entire life in close proximity with.

They reached a sandy beach area away from the bustling docks where relative privacy could be had. Mythas set down a back he wore on his back where he had stored a flask of wine, some bread, and a block of cheese. "Before we eat, why don't you show me a bit of what you have been working on?" His father managed a smile as he produced two wooden Lakan's, both carved to the same rough size, and he tossed one to Phoenix. Giving him a nod, and retaining his forced smile, Mythas moved away from the pack and took up a defensive posture with knees bent and weight balanced.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Postby Phoenix_Shadow on April 6th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Shadow nodded, he knew something was wrong what? he did not know but his father was distanced, maybe even distracted. Phoenix caught the wooden Lakan and smiled at his father.
"Is there something wrong father?" Phoenix asked. Then he did a few moves, first he started out with a few simple strikes which were easily blocked or evaded. Phoenix then started with more fancy moves. He did some foot sweeping moves, then he reverse gripped his lakan. "This is what I am tring to perfect father, the reverse grip." First he went like punching the Lakan in his right hand, the sharp blade away from the arm slightly, the outside of his forearm to be exact kind of making a fast slashing motion mixed with a punch. Then when he pulled back he popped the blade into a complete reverse grip as he brought it reversed back in a "Hooking" fashion. This action was very quick, Phoenix knew he was sloppy with this but the reverse grip was easier to conceal (Which he secretly liked) and harder to disarm. The whole hooking motion he had used with other students to disarm them. Of course Phoenix did not expect to hit his father at all, he knew Mythas was a much more experienced warrior than he was.
Phoenix_Shadow
Player

Character sheet

Postby Charon on April 20th, 2010, 1:00 am

Mythas watched as his son demonstrated some of the moves he had been working on with the Lakan. More than truly sparring, the father mostly chose to evade the attacks by stepping back, side stepping, and even jumping to avoid the training maneuvers his son was demonstrating. Though not perfect, the moves and techniques Phoenix was training on did seem to be improving from the last time his father observed him, though that had been some time ago. The inquiry about if something was wrong only gave Mythas slight pause as he preferred to keep his mind clear for the moment.

Once Phoenix was finished drilling with his reverse grip techniques, Mythas stated, "Impressive. I can see where you've been working and training hard. That's good that you're keeping it up- you'll never want to stop that work ethic through life." He paused for a bit, smiling lazily at his son and seemed to be drifting away into some other dreamscape away from his current life. Deciding he would address his son's original question, the older of the pair finally told his son, "Nothing is the matter. I am expecting some brief company around here shortly and am just trying to keep my eye open so as not to miss them." He seemed to refocus and his smile briefly widened before looking about, most likely for the company he just spoke of.

Mythas did not discover what he was searching for so he returned his interest toward his son. "Keep honing those skills, son. But tell me what your goals are... what is it that you want to accomplish if you could only achieve one thing?" The question was sincere enough, though his father was obviously still slightly distracted while trying to reconnect with his younger image.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Postby Phoenix_Shadow on April 29th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Phoenix smiled as he rode along with his father. The praise was nice even though his father seemed distracted, once he explained he was looking for someone. Phoenix dismissed his concerns from his mind. After all if his father was looking for these people he had good reason and it was enough that the two of them were together for Phoenix. Once his father asked him what his goal was if he could just pick one, this gave Phoenix pause. A good question and he supposed that he should have been able to answer this question right away but he had a feeling it was important and Phoenix did not like to make important decisions hastily and more so he wasn't sure what to say at first. "Hmm..." Phoenix said quietly as he thought. Then there was a long pause. Finally at last Phoenix looked to his father with a serious look on his face. "That is a hard question father, worthy of a scholar. I always seek to honor my father, brothers, Wysar and Akaja that goes without saying but if I could have one other goal, would be to see the world and the wonders it possesses, but my home would always be Riverfall." Phoenix said. Then for a moment he just looked around it was hard for him to say that to his father he didn't want to seem like he didn't like how things were now. Then he looked at his father again. "Have you ever been with a Konti?" Phoenix asked breaking the silence.
Phoenix_Shadow
Player

Character sheet

Postby Charon on May 5th, 2010, 2:29 am

Mythas nodded as his son explained his desires to get out and see what the lands beyond Riverfall offered. It was true that if you sailed straight across the Suvan you would find other lands and further north the sea opened up into a massive inland ocean surrounded by other foreign lands on all sides. Those were interesting thoughts, the older of the pair admitted within his own mind, but they were not for him. Perhaps his son would find a way to get out and discover what else Mizahar had to offer. "That's an interesting goal, Phoenix," he smiled sincerely and laughed. "And I do not doubt that your love for Riverfall is not strong. All Akalak inherently know the peril our race faces with every day we live on. Our numbers are weak and the Elders constantly think about the future of our people. Like it or not, this will always be your home." The smile was not as wide, but seemed almost deeper than before. It was as if these thoughts troubled Mythas as he spoke them, but that train of thought was broken with the next question.

Caught off guard, his father's smile turned more into a curious grin, "have your eye on somebody, son?" He laughed out loud and hoped his son would as well. "I have not. Your mother was human and she left Riverfall soon after your birth. She enjoyed it here and she took pride in carrying you in her womb, but life here with me... with us, was not her fate." Again, the thoughts seemed to be carrying him off of the conversation at hand. "There are many young Konti in this city, however, that seem like loyal people. They are an interesting race, though, and are not to be underestimated."

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Postby Phoenix_Shadow on May 6th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Phoenix listened to his father and nodded as he did so. He laughed when his father asked him if he had his eye on anyone. To be honest there were a few but he never really felt the need to breed so to say even though he knew it was necessary for his people he figured when it was time he would do what he had to. In the mean time he had been working on his warrior abilities. So his mom was human he smiled knowing that and the joy she took in carrying him. Carrying an Akalak was indeed an honor. Some of his brothers as he trained often spoke of the Konti like they were a prize to be won, all in fun of course. However Phoenix took a different respect he truly believed that any woman he eventually bred with should not be treated as a prize to be won but respected. Of course he was certain his brothers felt similarly. "What do you know of the other races of the world father?" Phoenix asked. "What do they think of us?" Phoenix asked. He was overly curious. He flipped his Lakan in his hand as he talked from tip to handle and sometimes he spun it in a circle in his palm. Once his father commented about his last question Phoenix kind of changed the subject. "Are we waiting for someone father?" He asked finally watching his father made him wonder. Even though he wondered exactly who he was looking for he was tring not to be rude. :ninja:
Phoenix_Shadow
Player

Character sheet

Postby Charon on June 3rd, 2010, 12:05 am

Mythas briefly regarded his son with a surprised but pleasant thought. He did not outwardly display these feelings, and quickly turned his head to the shoreline once more, but he was proud that his son was inquiring about such things as other races in Mizahar and their outlook on the Akalak race and culture. It was imperative that Akalak not only understand their own plight and culture and way of life but also how they fit into the world around them.

"Your question is a good one, my son. I probably do not know enough of the races in the world but I do know that most do not find us threatening or intrusive. Most seem to be curious about our race and, perhaps even more than that, our beautiful city." As his truncated reply ended, the older Akalak spotted in the distance something that he may have been waiting for this whole time. Two figures on horseback came around the bend of the shoreline without any apparent rush in their step. "They're who I'm waiting on," he absently answered his son.

As the two humans started their approach, Mythas moved to meet them. He did not have intentions of having them approach him with his son and before he moved he gave an obvious hand gesture for Phoenix to stand by. Nor did he have intentions or the time to explain the matter just now. The two mounts were identically a dark shade of brown and the only apparent distinctions between the two were the slight variations in the locations of the white splotches on their foreheads. The men they carried were also dressed similarly in shades of blackened leather covering their torso and large-brimmed hats casting shades over their faces. The looks on the horses face most likely matched the men's and that was a look of business and confidence.

Mythas met the two men and all parties dismounted their steeds simultaneously. Some not so animated and not so audible words were exchanged before the two new arrivals turned their backs to Phoenix's father. They must have been deliberating on how to handle their situation and Mythas seemed to be waiting patiently. After what seemed like an entire chime, the two dark men turned suddenly and attacked Mythas. One sent a punch toward his mid-section, which Mythas easily caught but the other swung a dagger through the air which the Akalak was unable to dodge. The blade must have caught him across his chest as he let out a distance groan before retaliating with his own arm swing. The two men in tandem were proving too much for the now wounded man, though, and as one deflected the late punch the other landed his own fist in Mythas' face. That blow followed by a dagger to the stomach, a couple more blows to his mid-section and face, and Mythas found himself badly bruised, dazed, bloody, and helpless on his back on the pure white beach by the deep blue Suvan Sea. Four sets of eyes, the two men and two horses, glared down upon him and were taking no pity. The dagger-wielding man raised the weapon above his head and without much in the way of hesitation plummeted the point downward and into the depths of the Akalak's soul.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office