Closed [General Store] Shopping for Supplies (Jemona)

Following an agreement the day before, two Kelvics go shopping

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[General Store] Shopping for Supplies (Jemona)

Postby Besnik on January 28th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Besnik
13th of Winter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The sun was high in the sky, indicating the middle of the day, and bore down upon the canine Kelvic standing in front of the general store. The morning had been relatively pleasant, the majority of it spent wandering the streets and investigating goings on, but Besnik had made plans for midday and so had eventually had to turn in the direction of the store. So far he’d managed without stocking up on supplies, but he could really do with some equipment. Having met Jemona the day before, he had finally found an excuse to take him to the store. She was also staying at the World’s End Grotto and on their way back they’d agreed to meet in front of the shop to look for supplies together. He’d managed to meet one of his own kind in the city by the sea and was more than happy to get to know her.

Besnik had heard rumour of an expedition, exploring an uncharted island he’d never heard of, and it seemed like the sort of thing he’d enjoy. Usually the canine never planned things in advance, but his curiosity was getting the better of him and it was a plan growing in the back of his mind. He wondered whether there was someone he could find to ask about it, storing that thought in his mind so that he’d remember to listen out for more information as he wandered the streets. If he was thinking about going to explore other places with unknown dangers, and even if he was going to continue travelling, it would probably be a good idea to purchase weapons. His mother had been against them when he was younger, preferring claws and fangs to hand crafted blades, yet he was beginning to believe that if she’d had access to those blades she may not have been captured. It was always better to be safer than sorry, after all, so it couldn’t hurt to look and see what they had in stock.

He sighed as he looked in both direction, arms over his chest and back leant against a stone wall opposite the glass front of the store. Jemona hadn’t turned up yet, leaving Besnik slightly bored. He looked down, eyes glancing over his poor shirt and trousers. They were plain, rather boring, and slightly worn out. The trousers were beginning to fray, with a couple of mud marks marring them where he couldn’t wash them properly. Though his clothes were still wearable, he knew he’d probably have to buy some new ones in a few weeks, especially if he wished to go on an expedition that involved being away from civilisation for a while. Looking back up, Besnik turned his head to check whether or not Jemona had turned up yet.

||Besnik|| ||3 years|| ||Kelvic|| ||Bondmate - Valo||
Sorry but posting will be slow until after the first week of January
Besnik
Player

Words: 81265
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2012, 12:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jemona Ravencass on January 31st, 2013, 8:28 pm

She's the kind of girl who gets her slings and arrows from the dumpster (Winter 13th, 512AV)

At around midday, the light from her window having finally made it across the floor, hit Jemona's eyes and she squinted. She supposed it was time to get up; the bed was warm and comfy and the thought of the cold wooden floor made her frown but she'd promised to meet Besnik and, knowing her luck, was probably already late. She stretched herself out of her curled up position, first each arm, then each leg and shook her head. Grabbing her comb she tore it through the tangled mess of her hair hoping to make herself slightly presentable: her owner probably would not have been pleased. Pulling on her clothes, she looked out of the window, watching the busy streets below and trying to remember how to get to their arranged meeting place. She locked her room and skipped down the stairs, excited at the prospect of shopping in this new place. Maybe there would even be some snacks that weren't fish-based to be found.

She walked lightly, a spring in her step as always. Some strangers looked at her a little oddly, but for the most part they smiled back as she wandered the streets trying not to get too distracted before she ended up lost. Finally she turned a corner and saw Besnik leaning casually against the wall and she beamed. “Hello there!” she called out, getting his attention. She skipped lightly over to him and kissed his cheek – her animal side thought a lick would be nicer but her lessons in politeness had taught her that it tended to freak people out a little and wasn't advised. “Sorry I'm a bit late, I'm not much of a morning person...” She ruffled her fingers through her hair. “So, shall we head in then?”

Pressing through the heavy double doors, Jem made her way into the shop and her eyes widened. There were just so many things! Walls completely occupied by all manner of items, table around stacked high. Nothing was particularly special but she still felt sad that there wouldn't be enough time to inspect every single item “So what exactly did you say you were looking for?”

Jemona Ravencass
Player

Words: 9666
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2013, 2:39 pm
Character sheet

Postby Besnik on February 1st, 2013, 11:08 pm

Besnik

Besnik heard the woman’s call before he saw her, engrossed in his own thoughts as he was. He turned his head the opposite way from the direction he’d been looking and quickly spotted the other Kelvic, eyes brightening at the sight of her. He grinned and kicked forward from the wall so that he stood, and lifted his hand as he called back to her. “Hello again,” he smiled as she skipped up to him. The kiss on his cheek startled the man, but was not entirely unwanted. His animal nature often made him come across as overly friendly and excitable, pushing past boundaries set between usual civilised society, yet with another Kelvic he could accept the familiar greeting without concern despite them having only met the day before. He chuckled and waited for her to pull back, listening to her simple explanation as to why she’d arrived after him.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “let’s head inside.” Besnik followed Jemona through the double doors, into the shop. He stopped shortly behind her, taken in by the collection of objects. He’d never been inside, but the shop was apparently well known within Zeltiva for stocking good supplies. There was nothing too expensive, or too striking, but to the canine each small good of average quality was a treasure. His curious eyes followed the trailing linen, swept over the various glass and took in the knives and tools lining one wall. He could probably spend days within the shop, picking through objects and seeking out the common items that as a collection to his eyes looked like gold. However, as Jemona brought his attention back with her question, he was reminded that they were here for a reason.

“I’m not really sure,” he shrugged, turning his attention back to the other, “I was thinking it’s about time I invest in some sort of weapon. It’s not always possible to rely on teeth and claws.” As much as he felt he was betraying his mother’s wishes by thinking about purchasing weapons, using defence made by other people over his own natural abilities, it would be easier to use blades over becoming a dhole every time he needed to protect himself. “I also need a good knife,” he let her know, gesturing to the knives he’d glanced over a second ago as they’d reminded him, “I’ve been thinking about getting one, specifically for cutting up meat to save for later, but it would generally be useful. What are you here for?”

Besnik
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jemona Ravencass on February 3rd, 2013, 9:22 pm

She's the kind of girl who gets her slings and arrows from the dumpster (Winter 13th, 512AV)

“Well I'm not an expert, but I can tell if a blade's going to fall apart.” Jemona wandered over to the wall covered in a variety of blades – some shining and sharp, others brassy and dull. “Like those...” She pointed to the bottom row of simple knives; the wooden handles were barely stuck to their blades -these would be no good for fighting. There seemed to be a pattern, the higher up the wall she looked, the more the quality improved. “Try one of the ones from about half way up I guess? Depends how much money you have...” Jemona herself was looking at a particularly lovely dagger about three quarters of the way up the wall, it looked strong and sturdy and would certainly come in handy in her travels; the only problem was money. She'd felt bad about taking the small stash with her from her Master's vault, but if she was going to find him, starving to death would have probably slowed her down quite considerably. She didn't want to spend his money more than absolutely necessary so, a little forlornly, she left the shiny metal alone.

“If you're looking for a cooking knife you'll want a fairly sturdy one to start with, unless you want to be constantly sharpening it... a serrated would probably be easier for meat.” She thought back to the kitchen in her Master's home; all manner of implements that she was in charge of. He wasn't what you could call a good cook so he mainly avoided the kitchen; the only real domestic duty he had was keeper of the coffee; there were many attempts to try and teach her, but she could never quite grind it right. It had taken her a while, but she was now capable of making a variety of simple meals without poisoning anyone. “I'm guessing there won't be many vegetables where you're going?” She spinned round and grinned at Besnick. “Um...me? Well I just kind of fancied the walk I suppose, and I should probably ask if anyone has any information while I'm here.”

As the owner of the general store for the whole of Zeltiva, she highly doubted the keeper of the shop would remember her Master directly, there were just too many faces for one person to possibly remember. She wondered though, whether there could have been many inquiries about rare books? This shop didn't look as if it sold any, but her Master was the thorough sort. Not being the most patient sort, she tapped the man behind the desk on the shoulder. He was busy going over a large document covered in numbers that meant absolutely nothing to her as she briefly read over his shoulder. “Excuse me sir? I don't mean to bother you, but has anyone come here recently in the search of a rare book?”

“Oh hello there young lady, I'm sorry but I can't recall anyone inquiring about such a thing. We tend to sell the blank kind I'm afraid.” He shrugged and smiled kindly then went back to his work. Jemona's shoulders drooped: a dead-end. That was a shame, but it was only the first place she'd really looked and Zeltiva was a big city; she couldn't allow herself to lose all hope after one fruitless endeavor. Nodding to herself, she wandered back over to Besnik. “So, gonna buy anything?”
Jemona Ravencass
Player

Character sheet

Postby Besnik on February 4th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Besnik

Besnik’s attention turned back to the wall of blades, a collection ranging from simple knives to complex fighting equipment. He didn’t know much about blade quality, but so long as it was sturdy he’d figure out how to use it. He was glad Jemona seemed to know a bit more about the subject than he did, no matter her admitting she wasn’t an expert, and looked half way up the wall in the direction she gestured. “I’ve got a fair bit of money, so hopefully I can afford something of reasonable quality,” he explained, having saved up from occasional jobs through his travels. He didn’t need much as he travelled, fairly self-sustaining when he was able to hunt, so hadn’t spent a lot. If he was going to spend money on a weapon or knife he’d want one that would last, even if it cost a bit more. He listened to the other Kelvic’s suggestion, nodding absently as his eyes browsed the tools and blades before him.

“Vegetables?” he made a face that clearly showed his view on the horrible food substance, “Yeah…no. At least, not if I can help it.” He then watched her move to greet the owner of the store, asking after the man she was searching for. He wondered why she’d been left, but knew better than to pry. If she was so close as to leave everything to search for him, it was probably painful talking about his disappearance. He also wondered why the man himself would go in search of a book, no matter how rare, never having seen the appeal in reading over telling stories and facts through words. It seemed like a pointless mission to him, but he wasn’t one to judge. Everyone around him seemed to have a purpose, an adventure of some sorts, but Besnik drifted between cities. He never got too involved, an observer rather than a participant. He was unsure whether or not changing that would be a good idea.

As Jemona conversed with the shop keeper, the canine turned back to the wall before him, taking in all the items. The sizes and quality changed in a pattern he couldn’t fully discern. The prices increased as you moved your gaze up, but then suddenly an anomaly appeared in the form of a large blade taking up the space of three smaller knives, curving with a serrated edge. His eyes widened at some of the more violent weapons, imagining a confrontation involving them. Armour was a must for those circumstances, and he switched his eyes to the other side of the room where a small collection of helmets and assorted, related objects sat. He frowned slightly at the choice, wondering how normal people could spend their money so easily without spending days deciding what to spend it on. It would probably take too long to learn how to use a larger blade, so he immediately ignored them. He wouldn’t be able to carry one in his dhole form anyway. Smaller weapons would be more suited to him, ones he could shove in his pack easily, that could help him in human form but didn’t take up too much room or weight otherwise.

With the wide choice, he put that to the side for a moment. It would be easier to find a knife for cutting up meat after a hunt first. Jemona had recommended a serrated blade with a sturdy handle and, while he agreed on the make of it, he decided against that. For a quick, clean cut it would be hard enough using a smooth edge; he wasn’t exactly practised in using his hands to work tools, so for now it was probably best to go for a more simple design. His eye caught on the perfect one, metal shaped well and handle firm. Picking it up carefully, he flexed his arm to see how well he could balance its weight. The knife seemed decent and fit well in his hand. By that time, the feline had turned back to address him again. “Yeah,” he grinned, holding up the knife, “I’ll probably get this. I just need to find the right weapon now. Are you getting anything?”

Besnik
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jemona Ravencass on February 12th, 2013, 6:39 pm

She watched, smiling as the kelvic before her tested the weight of the knife; it seemed to fit him well. “Oh, I guess I’ll get something small but I’m trying to save money at the moment I suppose…” It made her uncomfortable to mention the money wasn’t actually hers. She had taken out a pouch of coins from her Master’s vault (he had entrusted the key to her prior to his leaving) before leaving on her journey. It wasn’t stealing; just borrowing in her mind. And she knew she’d pay back every coin to her Owner as soon as she could; it would just be harder to find him if she starved to death on her search. Five hundred wasn’t so much after all, not from a loved one. He would understand, he always did. It wouldn’t be long now before she found him, she knew that, and it kept her smiling; she’d be on her way home before the season was out.

She walked over to the dried foods, curious and more than a little hungry. Her eyes wandered over the surplus food and her stomach rumbled; all of that food, some of it must be unsalted. On one board various pouches were strung up and her nose twitched a little at the delicious smell of game and woodsmoke. She stretched up and picked out a bag of what smelled like smoked rabbit. “Finally!” She beamed at the other kelvic, holding out the bag. “Real food! “Rabbit had always been one of her favourites, a pest and always plentiful in her Master’s garden. He had even managed to come to terms with her occasionally presenting him with their lifeless bodies; even he couldn’t turn down a stew made with freshly caught rabbit.

Passing over the bag to the shopkeeper, she handed over the four gold pieces and stuck her nose in the opening, breathing in the scent of food without a single note of salt. Licking her lips and grinning, she packed the pouch into the bag around her side. “Thank you sir.” She smiled and nodded at the old man before going to stand behind Besnik as he purchased his weapons and armour. “Nice choice. What do you need these things for anyway? I never asked…” She was curious; this canine didn’t look like the type to go searching for fights and she couldn’t even guess why he would need armour in a place like this.
Jemona Ravencass
Player

Character sheet

Postby Besnik on February 12th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Besnik

Besnik grinned as Jemona found some rabbit, her excitement swelling into him. He could understand the happiness, the food around Zeltiva often being salty, but didn’t have such a problem as he was able to travel long distances easily to find his own prey when he needed to. He laughed, unable to not do so as she all but danced over to the man in charge to buy the food. As she did so he turned back to look over the weapons, unsure of what to get. He needed something light and relatively small, knowing it would be impossible to carry too much even if he didn’t shift into his canine form. He gladly picked through the many items available, turning things over and studying them with greedy eyes. Unfortunately he couldn’t spend all day observing everything the store had to offer, so he quickly had to choose between possibilities.

The Kelvic’s hummed to himself a little as he found a variety of daggers. One in particular caught his attention, a double blade with a wooden handle to hold it with. The blades were interesting and would be good protection, but it wasn’t quite what he was looking for. He shook his head slightly and put the dagger to the side. His attention was caught by a pair of gauntlets next, noticing the spikes attached to the knuckles. He turned them over in his hands, interested. They seemed more natural, like he would fight with his claws as a dhole, and he thought they would work. As he turned to ask Jemona’s opinion, something else caught his attention. Placing the gauntlets to the side, he picked up the next object. It was metal, a straight bar that sat just below the knuckles with a loop on each side to keep fastened on the second and little finger. Attached to the bar, falling over each finger, were four claw-like blades. He put one over his right hand and lifted it to look at on eye level, a wide grin spreading across his face. He found a second and set the pair to one side alongside the game knife.

While he was there, he decided he may as well look through the armour. After all, it was within eyesight and it was easier to let his animalistic curiosity investigate rather than hold himself back. Shifting through, he immediately noticed a nasal helmet, much like the usual one but with an extra strip of protection over the nose. Lifting it, it didn’t feel too heavy so he decided to go with that. As he picked the helmet up, however, an extra piece of strange material came with it. It was separate but had looped itself around his finger as he moved. It was short and his brow furrowed as he thought of the name…chainmail! He grinned again as it came back to him. He realised it would go around his neck, able to attach to the back of his helmet. Not enjoying the feeling of confinement, he didn’t even think about getting body armour. It was much easier to pull off a helmet and change forms that to have to fully undress, which was more helpful in an emergency.

He picked up the items he wished to purchase and went over to the shop owner, now free as Jemona had finished her purchase. “This is all,” he smiled, placing the objects down and taking out some money to pay. He handed it over and took his new items into his arms, turning back to the other Kelvic as she addressed him once more. “Ah, well,” he answered her question hesitantly, not sure what he wanted to say as his plan hadn’t truly formed in his own mind yet, “There’s this expedition, but I’m not sure what it involves or where it’s going. I’m thinking of going to investigate and I figured it couldn’t hurt to have some added protection. To be honest, I should have gotten myself some weapons sooner, but…” He stumbled over his words and glanced down for a moment. The loss of his mother still hurt, her capture by slave traders sudden as she was torn from his life. She was the reason he’d never used blades before, but he couldn’t bring himself to talk about her. “Well…I guess I never got around to it.”

Ledger :
Game Knife -3cm
Nasal Helmet -25gm
Avantail -20gm
Two Bagh Nakh -6gm
Besnik
Player