Solo A Lucky Day

Work comes to her.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

A Lucky Day

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on January 21st, 2013, 3:39 pm

7th Winter 512 AV
Anchorage Flotilla, Afternoon

“Huh…”

Gabrielle was visibly disappointed as she looked at the stash of mizas lying on the ground. She had not been paying much attention these days, and her cash had significantly gone down. The Svefra liked to barter, but she didn’t even have anything to barter. She had to look for new employers soon—or she wouldn’t have much left to live on.

The problem with her job was that it wasn’t steady; she didn’t have a stable employer. They came and went.

She almost jumped out of her skin as the sound of someone knocking suddenly echoed through the wooden walls of her cabin.

“Who is it?” she called out before shoving the stash of mizas back in its pouch. Ever since she had lost her pod, she didn’t really know that many people… at least not those who would knock on her cabin unannounced. A part of her prayed that she hoped it was someone looking for a ride, someone she could charge.

“Hello! Gabrielle Seawind?” answered the voice of a young man. Gabrielle looked startled as she realized that it was a voice that she recognized. It belonged to a man she had met more than a season ago. Once the coins had been put away, she stood up and quickly rushed to the cabin’s exit. Her cabin was found under the deck of her ship and a short flight of steps led up to a small door.

“Beran!” she called out once she had opened the door. “I thought it was you.”

Beran was a Syliran man she had provided transport for in the past. He was young, roughly around her face, and had a kind personality.

“Hey, I knew the ship looked familiar…” he said. His eyes twinkled with friendliness. After a few moments of silence, he quickly picked up the conversation. “You doing anything? I could really use a quick fishing trip. I’ll pay you, of course.”

“That sounds great,” replied the Svefra. The grin on Gabrielle’s face arrived almost immediately. It was her lucky day.

“I don’t have any fishing things, though. I was thinking you could help me find some.”

“Yes, yes… the markets are towards the center of the Anchorage, I’ll lead you there,” she said. He moved out of the way as she stepped outside and shut the door behind her. “What brings you to the Anchorage?”

“Not much… came here a few days ago with some sailors. Not really much to do here. Was passing by when I saw your ship, and I thought of calling you out.”

Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Words: 116325
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Lucky Day

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on February 18th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Nodding, Gabrielle realized she didn’t have any questions after that last one. While he was a familiar face, she didn’t really know much about him. In the end, she was just happy that she was able to find an employer of some sort.

They walked across several decks, and it was clear that her employer was not accustomed to the Flotilla. It was challenging for him to walk across the unstable and moving ships, and to jump from one deck to another, or to walk across the planks that had been thrown between ships. She, on the other hand, was used to a life on ships. The Svefra woman walked across the decks with ease, and she patiently waited for him to catch up.

Finally, they arrived at a merchant ship. There were various trinkets and tools, but mostly their attention was caught on the mass of nets that were folded and displayed. The Svefra were known for bartering, but they also accepted mizas. Since Gabrielle didn’t have anything on her to trade, she would have to rely on the coins in her pouch.

“What do you recommend for a beginner like me?” Beran was asking the Svefra merchant.

The merchant, and middle-aged man, looked at Beran. It was clear that Beran was going to be fishing for fun rather than for fun, and as such he was not going to recommend the fishing nets. No, those were for fishermen. “We got a fishin’ kit. Comes with some cord and some bait. You got anything worth that?”

This was when Gabrielle cut in. “We’re going to pay in coins. I need one for myself as well.”

The man nodded and seemed to think about it for a while Finally, he said, “A fishin’ kit would cost you twenty goldens each.”

“Twenty…?” frowned Gabrielle. “You’re joking.”

Beran glanced at Gabrielle. “I’m willing to pay twenty.”

Quickly, Gabrielle gestured for him to keep quiet. It was a rude gesture but she thought nothing of it. An even ruder action was that she suddenly switched to speaking in Fratava, a language that Beran would not comprehend. With animated hands, she negotiated with the merchant, “I know those things don’t cost twenty a kit! I know he looks loaded but he’s not paying for mine. Give me a break.”

The merchant shrugged. “Fifteen?”

“Five or nothing.”

The man looked annoyed now, his cheeks flaring up. Was she trying to dupe him? “I’m not giving you these for half their price. Get lost, sister.”

Gabrielle gave a laugh. It was not a proud of triumphant one, rather, it was one of amusement. Beran stared between the two Svefra with a puzzled expression. Gabrielle continued, “So five is half the price? Fine, we’ll pay ten for each. How’s that sound?”

With a loud sigh, the man waved his hand. He spoke in common and addressed Beran as well, “Ten goldens a kit, take it or leave it.”

After exchanging coins, Beran and Gabrielle each had a kit each.

Receipt :
-10 gm, + Fishing Kit

Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Words: 116325
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes