Solo Getting Acclimated

Eosi settles into the Antiquities Society

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Getting Acclimated

Postby Eosi on December 21st, 2012, 12:41 am

The Antiquities Society
3rd Day of Winter, 512 AV

Eosi slipped out of bed, her eyes having cracked open just moments previous. The curvaceous woman moved with purpose. She yanked a comb through her hair and then stretched, yawning fitfully. Today was her first day of employment and she was eager to survey the inside of the facility. The day previous she’d paid the Society a visit, but only very briefly. The Akalak proprietor in question was a priest of Eyris named Maltar. He was polite, helpful and left her with a hopeful outlook. Kara the Secretary and Deven the Treasurer seemed just as enthusiastic about her employment, but the relationship between the three of them struck her as odd. Despite the literature left in her room, she had a difficult time wrapping her mind around the surrogate system. Navikak women were perpetually pregnant and always at high risk, unless they were Konti or Kelvic. It seemed almost unfair to draft human women into the service. The idea of mating constantly in exchange for special treatment struck her as eerily close to prostitution. That however, was her biased opinion.

Eosi touched her ribs with disdain. After work perhaps a trip to the Blue Bull was in order. Some greasy tavern food might serve to get her back up to fighting weight. Her unclad form was just too thin. She hastily pulled her clothes on, this time a full black cape over a simple, golden dress. In combination with her dark hose and brown boots, she felt simple yet elegant. Gold suited her well. Once satisfactorily put together, Eosi swept out of Godiva’s Refuge and into the streets of Riverfall.

The Society was on the other side of town, across the waterfall. Eosi loved admiring the domed architecture; it was a truly unique facet to Akalak culture. She made a mental note to explore the place more thoroughly when she had a moment to breathe. Being in motion suited her, but it quickly became overwhelming. Eosi was the type to take on everything, all at once with no complaint whatsoever. Burning the candle at both ends as a student had once weakened her so badly that she’d fallen very ill for a half a season. For that reason the Inarta was far more cautious in moderating her work habits. It was hard to be a workaholic when you were bedridden.

Before long she reached the courtyard, where the eerie and yet beautiful statue sat. The two sky creatures were locked in a heated meal on an innocent-looking gazelle, the scene forever preserved in stone. It was a pleasant and gruesome reminder of Mizaharian nature. The world represented the creatures and humans represented the gazelle. If a person wasn’t careful, they too could become an example. She’d come to grips with that rigid fact long ago. Watching her Mother fall to pieces had been enough of a lesson.

Upon entering, Eosi admired the well-kept museum that stood before her. The meticulous sense of neatness was nearly overwhelming. She loved the hard work reflected in each exhibit. The willful child in her urged to touch things she shouldn’t and shamefully she ignored it. Instead she moved toward the stairs to ascend to the office aspect of the many faceted building. Before she could hope to do any work at all, she’d have to get situated. She made the ascent with deliberate slowness, savoring the new experience.

When she finally whisked up into the hallway, a very pregnant Kara Bloomsheart stood waiting and ready to show her about. Eosi knew she’d be the one to usher her around, being the only member to boast a perfect memory. It was a valuable tool in a world filled with nothing but labels, displays and paperwork. “Welcome again, Eosi,” she said warmly. The young redhead offered no comment except a polite incline of her head, unwilling to speak. She was still getting a handle on the dark-haired beauty. Kara gestured to for her to follow and set off down the corridor. Eosi kept in stride with her counterpart, wondering how she kept that smile in place. Being pregnant was an altogether unpleasant experience, or so she’d heard.

They stopped before a heavy door with a fine golden handle. “This will be your office for as along as you’re with us,” the secretary said. Eosi reached out and let herself in. The room was clean and spacious with a window looking out the side of the building. She allowed a small twitch of her lips at the pleasure it brought... Her very own space to exist and work as she pleased. She sighed and entered leisurely, taking a wide turn to survey the place. There was a sturdy-looking desk, a wooden chair and little else. After a few moments scrutiny, the Inarta looked back to her guide. “Thank you,” she said with a bit of honey in her tone. Kara seemed to appreciate it, as she answered in kind. “No problem. Let me know if you need anything.” It was her cue to gracefully depart.

Eosi sighed deeply, a fulfilled sigh. It was time to get started.
Last edited by Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Getting Acclimated

Postby Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 2:46 pm

10th Day of Winter, 512 AV

Eosi’s compulsive organization screamed soundlessly at the paperwork splayed in front of her. Hastily penned documents were scattered about the desk for review, engulfed by a large and very colorful representation of the Cyphrus region. The map was distinctly Akalak – their penmanship was inimitable. She admired the elegant loops of the characters, wondering idly what it’d be like to learn Tukant. Hearing it spoken was one thing – learning it another.

Maltar slipped quietly through the door. ”Morning,” she greeted him, still abstracted. Her fingertips caressed the lettering before her. ”Tell me, do you think Tukant is a difficult language?” He laughed, the sound rich and distinctly masculine. ”To me? No. To the outsider? Perhaps. It is dependent on how well you learn.” As were most things in life, she mused. Turning her attention from the writing, she faced him. ”Have you decided where we’re headed?” She asked. He strode casually to the paper and brushed against a small marking, a little valley encased with tiny trees. ”Kai’Neha Valley.”

”We’ve exclusively dug along the Bluevein for quite a few seasons. We’ve even had a few successes; for example, the ceramic shard was found during those expeditions.” The one in question was an ancient fragment of an urn, decorated by archaic script and still in the cataloguing process. ”However, we feel the need the expand – branch outward if you will.” Akalak were fond of the almighty “we.” It was difficult for her the wrap her mind around the fact it wasn’t just Maltar – it was also Ruvan. Adult Akalak had multiple personalities. There were a few jokes ripe for harvest there, but she’d managed to refrain on the premise of image maintenance. Syna forbid the world knew she had a sense of humor.

”This valley in particular has a nasty reputation for Snarlwing. Following the Spring storm, populations in the Sea of Grass have been diminished tremendously – both good and bad, we fear. It bodes well however, for an expedition… Current biological issues aside.” He coughed somewhat delicately. ”Now, I take it you can handle that?” He grinned and she merely rolled her eyes. ”No clue. Let’s seek a second opinion.” It was all in the well-timed sarcasm.

Maltar – or Ruvan – seemed amused all the more by her waspishness. It was lucky that she found herself in such gracious employ. He didn’t hire her for her girlish charms, that was for certain. ”Now, I’d like to see a full-report in the next ten days. We need a supply list, a roster of who will be attending and a diagram of the camp setup. From there we’ll pick a date and a rendezvous point. You’ll scout ahead and meet us when the area is clear. Otherwise, send up a distress signal and we’ll fall back to the city. Sound good?”

Eosi gave a curt nod, her eyes still glued to the paper. ”Is it sad?”

He blinked at her. ”Is what sad?” She gazed back at him, suppressing a grin. ”I work at the Antiquities Society and I can’t read a map.”

It was all he had to avoid laughing at her. ”Ten days, Barlowe.” He slipped out, chuckling to himself. That went well.

She gently rolled up the map and set it aside. The natural starting point would be the supply list. He’d neglected to mention the actual size of their group, but judging by the distance from Riverfall to the site, they wouldn’t want for much regardless. It was most likely a week-long affair, with parties moving to and fro. Her pen began scratching out rough estimates based on her modicum of knowledge. They’d need at least ten sets of gloves, a week’s supply of trail rations split ten ways… They cost swelled with each item.

It wouldn’t be much, but it was something. They didn’t pay her to be the brains of the operation, after all.
Last edited by Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 9:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Getting Acclimated

Postby Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 3:26 pm

33rd Day of Winter, 512 AV

The lists were all drafted. Deven and Maltar both hovered over them while Kara hung back, peering at the map resting between her hands. ”The roster is good, but there isn’t much room to petch that up,” Deven teased, setting the list aside. ”The supply list leaves something to be desired, but that’s not what we pay you for.” Ironic that the two giant jewel-toned men were the paper pushers while the tiny redhead with brought the muscle. The thought must have occurred to Kara too, as she wore the faintest trace of a smile. Her girth had only expanded as the season pressed on. She could barely even waddle around the building. Eosi incongruously wondered how long it took her to get up the stairs.

”Now, do you have everything you need? Will you be taking anyone with you?” Eosi flushed at the question. ”Yes, I am. And I will be taking someone…” Her voice trailed. This was not good. Before she had to opportunity to even play it down, Maltar folded his arms. ”It’s that human from the Sanctuary, isn’t it? We saw you in the Glass Gull. Well, one of us did anyway.” ’Petch.’ Her eyes narrowed. ”Small world, isn’t it.” It was not phrased as a question. Her employer pursed his lips, deliberating whether to continue his investigation. One glance at Eosi’s face however, and he thought better of it.

”Would you care to go over your revisions with me, Deven? I’d like to learn how to actually make a working inventory.” Her change of tack was well-timed. ”It might be more appropriate for you to learn reading maps first,” he remarked in turn. She gave him a withering look. ”Alright, we’ll go over my revisions. Then you and Kara can bond over the distinctly female art of seeking direction.” It was a lighthearted stab. The secretary’s answering smile was faintly acidic, which actually made Eosi laugh.

”Okay, so here.” He held up the sheet. It read:

• Pavilion (3) 150 GM
  • Tent, Four Person (4) 40 GM
  • Torch (5) 10 CM
  • Blanket (10) 50 SM
  • Spyglass (1) 100 GM
  • Traveler’s Stock (2) 6 GM
  • Rope, Hemp (4) 4 GM
  • Map, Region (4) 40 GM
  • Trail Rations (10) 50 SM
  • Water Pack (5) 50 GM
  • Bedroll (10) 10 SM
  • Shovel (10) 200 GM”

”So, it was a good effort but you don’t need to include prices. They’re mostly accurate, but your total is wrong.” His finger indicated the number at the bottom. ”Your job is distinctly different from mine – when you draft your list, forget about anything that isn’t disposable. You tell me how much it’ll take to feasibly survive in a life or death situation and I’ll tell you how much it will cost. Also, we have tents and blankets and the like… As well as a spyglass and a compass too.” Her cheeks reddened. ”It’s okay – you’ll learn. Just remember. You’re the expedition leader. All you need to do is lead.” That put a smile on her face.

”Okay then, well what of the water packs? We should purchase some additive, too. Fresh water is crucial to survive.” Eosi said. He nodded. ”It’ll help if you read up on survival in the wild as well.” That would serve for bedtime reading. ”I figured you knew and you seem to have some rudimentary basics, but remember – we’ll be carrying all of this. Weight is an important fact in deciding what you’ll bring.” Eosi frowned. ”But we’ll have horses –“

”What if we lose the horses? Glassbeak are fearsome wroth. It is unlikely we’ll encounter them, but we’ll need to be able to carry most of our supplies on our backs in that event.” Her eyes narrowed. ”In that event, we’ll all be dead.” He seemed unphased by her suddenly foul expression. Eosi really, really detested being wrong. ”If you read up on it, you’ll feel better.” Bloomsheart was at her elbow. She was surprisingly agile despite her… Condition. A delicate hand suddenly rested upon Eosi’s shoulder.

”Of course,” she replied, her face relaxing. It wouldn’t do to shoot the messenger. ”I’ll have to start looking into it.” Maltar seemed pleased at the turn of events. ”Kara will recommend some books and teach you some map-reading basics. Try not to get us killed,” he said teasingly. Both males gave her an appreciative glance before heading out the door.

She sighed and sank into her chair. ”Don’t pay them any mind,” she said softly. Eosi glanced back up to her female counterpart. ”I try not to, but they’re too large to be ignored.”

Both women laughed, then got to work.
Last edited by Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Getting Acclimated

Postby Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 6:49 pm

“Okay, so the first step is choosing the right map.” Kara Bloomsheart reclined against the wall of her office while Eosi rested her feet upon the desk. ”Different maps do different things – some are for sailing, others are for land travel. Some are topographical while others just mark cities, rivers and roads.” Normally, Eosi would have chafed at such slow instruction. She hadn’t realized what a learning experience working for the Antiquities Society would be. It wasn’t just shooting threatening objects – it was organizing expeditions, cataloging relics, making inventories and reading maps. It was helping to build a very necessary skill set for the days ahead. She hadn’t realized just how little she knew about independent travel. That fact disturbed her.

”Next, you check how it’s oriented, which is simple enough. Most maps are drawn with north at the top except the very specialized ones. There’s usually a marker – something called a compass rose – at the bottom.” Compass rose? She’d always just called it a compass. ”Now the harder part,” Kara continued, staring down at her cuticles, ”is checking the scale. The more detail it has, the smaller it is. By detail, I mean individual roads and grasslands. The closer it looks to the ground, the smaller it is.” She bit her lip. ”The further away it looks – say a map of the entirety of Mizahar – now that’s a large scale map.”

”So, this map of Cyphrus is a smaller-scale map.” Kara nodded. ”Comparatively. But a truly small map would be say, the map of Riverfall.” That concept wasn’t so difficult. ”Some maps will have legends – a box which symbols and labels to explain what they represent. Not many do, but some.” Eosi moved her feet and began to write all this down on a sheet from her pile of blank papers. Her pen danced across the page. ”Now, the way to actually use it is nothing more than a series of steps.” Eosi gave a wry snort. ”More steps?” Kara merely smiled. ”Find where you are first by the landmarks around you. It helps if you stay near something recognizable, like the Bluevein. Next, you align the map with the direction shown on your compass… If you have one, that is. You’d set it down and shift accordingly. You do know how to read a compass, don’t you?”

Eosi stared mutely. ”…Right,” Kara replied. ”Now, if you don’t have a compass, you can always use the sun as a marker to find your way.” Eosi was about to ask how, but decided against it. It rose in the east and set in the west – that was indication enough. Right. Follow the sun. ”The rest is simple, really. Stick to the roads if there are any and plot the course as you go along.” Eosi leaned back, clearly amused. ”You keep assuring me it’s simple. I can only hope you’re right.”

Kara shook her head. ”You have a sharp tongue, you know that?” Eosi’s eyes narrowed. ”I can’t say I haven’t heard it before.” She made no apologies for the way she behaved. ”I blame the culture in which I was raised.” Kara’s eyes softened a bit. Eosi had explained her origins earlier in the season. ”Is it hard for you…?” She reclined once again, this time hooking the toe of her boot under a drawer handle. ”It is what it is,” she said brusquely. ”We don’t know what happened. I was on my way out when the flotilla arrived, but even they don’t really know. All that can be inferred is that nothing good became of Denval.” She sighed. ”Why do you care?”

”I just do,” she said quietly, taken aback. Eosi felt a pang of remorse. ”I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude.” She had the grace to at least look contrite. Kara seemed satisfied. ”It’s okay. I’m sure you get those sort of questions all too often.” With the tension ebbing around them, Eosi stood. ”Thank you for everything. I just wanted you to know that I’m grateful.” Kara’s smile widened, showing her teeth. She was truly breathtaking – maternity made her practically glow. ”Here – I brought a book for you. It’ll help you learn some important skills for being out in the wild. You’re going to need it.”

The object exchanged hands. ”I’m going to go bother our president now,” Kara said. Eosi gave her a knowing look. ”Just don’t bother him too loudly or the neighbors will hear.” The secretary flushed, then smirked. ”You do the same, or they’ll be throwing you out of the Refuge.” All the color from the Inarta’s face vanished. She got her back. ”I-“ she stammered.

”Bye!” She sang coquettishly and danced her ungainly form out the door. Eosi stood bristling at her copy of The Wilderness & You.
Last edited by Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Getting Acclimated

Postby Eosi on March 5th, 2013, 9:01 pm

40th Day of Winter, 512 AV

Eosi unwrapped the gauze tenderly. In the midst of the wrapping laid a fragile ceramic moon. Malthar looked at her meaningfully. ”We found this along the river,” he explained. ”And more like it. From what we can tell by the writing and my gnosis, this was a votive offering to Akajia.” She whistled low. ”It’s ancient – maybe even Valkalah. We certainly know its culture of origin.” He grinned. ”Catalogue this and then the rest. They’re downstairs.” She raised an eyebrow. ”I’m feeling an all-nighter,” she smiled, rolling her shoulders back. ”Just don’t get carried away, Eosi.” He placed a warm hand on her shoulder and left her peering at the gorgeous piece of art.

It was so incredibly delicate she could scarcely believe it survived at all. The moon was a crescent and the inscription weathered to near non-existence. She gingerly placed it on her desk and pulled out the necessary paperwork. This was the only tedious part of her job – the writing. Eosi was taciturn, favoring action over speech. She sighed and got to work.

Site Name & Number: Bluevein River, A41.

Relic Number: 134

Type of Site: Riverbed, Undetermined.

Type of Relic: Votive Offering

Landowner: N/A

General Location: Quarter-mile east up the Bluevein River from the city of Riverfall. South side. Survey began late Fall, ended early Winter. No nearby landmarks. Soil type is old alluvial.

Present Condition: Good condition with minimal erosion.

Method of Collection: Controlled surface survey; sampling.

Analysis & Recommendations: The offering in question is palm-sized, ceramic and wheel-thrown. There is an inscription on the underside, most of which has been obscured by weathering. It was found in a sampling survey – my recommendation for it and those like it is a purposive, intensive survey.

References: Archaeology in 500 AV by Avala Welch, The Riverfall Antiquities Guide to Data Collection by Malthar and Botany & Herbalism, A Harmony by Sevran Oskot.

Date Recorded: 40th Day of Winter, 512 AV

Eosi peered owlishly at the sheet before her. It’d taken hours just to page through soil types and methods of data collection, read the differing reports from the actual on-site archaeologists and then write a single, brief description. She felt as if someone had crammed wool between her ears. The worst of it was looking back over the sheet and feeling incredibly impotent. Hours of work had yielded such minimal results. Of course, it was more important she understood what she was writing – in the future it wouldn’t take so long… Perhaps she should actually read through the data collection guide again in anticipation for this survey. She placed her head between her hands.

There were thirteen more reports waiting to be written just like it. She packed up her things and moved downstairs, taking the steps two at a time. The books were heavy but all in all, it was good exercise. Before she knew it, she was amongst the horde of treasure, peering at it wearily. It had to be at least the second bell of the next day. Where did the time go, exactly? Sighing, she placed the first object onto its new home – a lovely velvet display case – and went to look over the others.

”You’ll be the death of me,” she said, turning a small figurine over between her hands. ”Between you and the Champion, I never seem to rest.” The thought summoned a smile to her face. ”Let’s get on with it, then.”

She read the same sentence four petching times. ”-When you write the description, take into consideration the condition of the site at the time that you visited it. This should be updated periodically with supplemental reports.“ Eosi was dog-tired. She’d done the brunt of the catalogue, stopping only to pee and to pretend she wasn’t hungry. It was a compulsion, really. When a project was set before her, she’d work tirelessly until it was complete. There was nothing else she wanted to do and no one could dissuade her.

She finally picked up the last one. It was a gorgeous fragment of a plaque, split in half adjacently with the bottom corner destroyed. The etching depicted a fighter – one line of large, presumably Akalak men were ready to destroy the missing other half. All these relics were found at low tide, as if they’d willed themselves to be found. A more intensive survey most likely wouldn’t reveal much. It was a good bet they’d washed in from the Suvan. But still, they had to try. Her recommendation couldn’t be: "Ask a Charodae next time."

The next morning, Kara gasped. At the very entrance of the building, Eosi was openly curled up on the bottom stair, one hand wrapped around her compass rose pendant. She seemed so peaceful when unconscious. Kara tiptoed into the other room to find each relic neatly lined up next to its report, ready to be filed away.

”I hope someone is taking care of that girl.” She frowned.
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Getting Acclimated

Postby Skyard Underwood on September 19th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Grades

Skills

Archaeology + 3

Observation + 5

Socialization + 5

Writing + 3

Intelligence + 3
Lores :

Kara: Obviously Pregnant

Kara: A well spoken Woman

Snarlwing: Increase in population near Sea Of Grass

Glassbeaks: Can easily kill a Horse

Maps: Drawn with north at the top

Maps: How to read scales

Land Navigation: Making use of Landmarks.

Land Navigation: Using the Sun as a Marker

Deven: An incredibly Masculine Akalak

Maltar: Priest of Eyris

Loot :
1 Copy of “The Wilderness & You.” Common Book

Enjoy your grades, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Words: 205954
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet