[Flashback] Kindred Spirits [Gossamer]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Amon on June 13th, 2010, 2:42 am

Timestamp: 30th of Spring 494 AV

There was something in his young heart stirring that day. Young Amon's dreams were filled with the thrill of flight, of hunting and striking for the kill with his finely carved arrows. A flash of eagle feathers drifting off into the wind. Soft hands grasping for dear life as the raptor swerved into a nose dive. Faster and faster, leaving the youth breathless and his eyes watering, and then there was darkness.

Bright blue eyes opened slowly at the sound of other children's voices. It began as a soft babble, until more children yawned and complained at the growing volume of the voices. Soon there were shouts, screams and giggles echoing around the room, bouncing from the walls until every child in the vicinity was awake and ready to start the day. Amon had kicked the sheets off his bed and rubbed his eyes slowly, blinking once, twice, three times before stifling yet another yawn. As chaotic as the room full of rambunctious children was, Amon was still able to spot his friends, a girl and a boy with fiery red hair much like himself. And after he had managed to tug on his loosely flowing bryda, he proceeded to make his way over to them, tapping the boy lightly on the shoulder.

"Morning. Todays the day of our new Bendi's no? Have you been told yours?" The fiery haired boy inquired, quirking a brow at the other's sudden change in expression.

"We got stuck in the kitchens this time around. Didn't you get that last time, Amon?"

He rolled his eyes. "I did. But you know, all that time spent with the paternal figures and all, I'm pretty much set on cooking."

His words rang true, in the eight years he had spent with his parents, it was meal after meal after delicacies that he was encouraged to participate in the creation of. And he did not mind, he enjoyed it, but after he had left his home to settle into the youth's quarter, he found his love for archery. And he was exceptionally good at it as well, as were his studies. He might have been a gregarious individual, but he was determined to become an Endal. His mindset had been locked onto achieving the greatest honor, and upholding the duty to protect and serve his people. At the ripe age of thirteen, he felt far more confident in his abilities and his profound desire to find a Wind Eagle to bond and care for.

And so when he heard the call of the Youthmaster, he bounded over in an instant, shouting out a "Seeya later!", to his friends, who only held a rather startled look on their faces at his sudden leave.

"I'm here, sir!" Came his painfully enthusiastic voice as he skipped to a stop in front of the older man. With a grin plastered on his face, he appeared as if ready for an anonymous party.
Last edited by Amon on June 20th, 2010, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Words: 68449
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 20th, 2010, 3:31 pm

ImageDuvin was a big man, though no one would ever call him on it. It was strange, however, that he hadn't turned out to be a Glassworker or a Blacksmith like everyone said the lad would. Instead, he'd gone into teaching and had worked his way up the ranks until he gained the position of Youthmaster - in charge of all the children or as they were referred to in Wind Reach - the Yasi. And they truthfully liked him. He had an instinct on where to place them and what to expose them to in order to find them the best pathway in their lives.

Yasi were rambunctious and engaged, having too much energy and too little common sense for the most part . As they got older though, closer to their time of assignment, they all recognized the stakes. And they were high. Slothfulness would not earn them an apprenticeship. And several of the children in Amon's age group were headed straight for dek status whether they knew it or not. Duvin, however, had higher hopes for Amon. He was smart, quick on his feet, and showed a real aptitude for hunting. He was usually an instigator among his peers which was always a sign of a child going places. And so it was as he passed out Bendi, issuing orders for some children to head to the kitchen, some to the glass furnaces. Some even were sent to work with the seamstresses or weavers, or even to paint or clear roads. It didn't matter truthfully, not at first, so they were given lots of exposure to a wide variety of things - all of which those that supervised them were reported back.

So when Amon came to see him, Duvin had a very special task for him. He handed him a bucket, a scraper, and a bag of sand that when added to water turned into a scowering powder that removed all sorts of debris. "Amon, there's a young fledgling up in the aeries that needs some attention. So far, no one has been too willing to look after him because of his... condition." There really was no mistake about who it was. Avinkasi and Rav had fledged an albino chick from their latest batch of four. No one had expected him to do much, since albino birds never did seem to flourish. So, unlike the other fledgelings who had all the attention they needed, Sakima was left alone. "He could use some company and some care. Scrub out his aerie, move your bedroll in until someone is chosen as his rider, and see that the place stays in good condition. And be nice to him... I think hes going to surprise everyone and be larger and stronger than his nestmates." Druvin said, having a knack for knowing these things. Then, depositing the items in Amon's care, the Youthmaster turned to the next child and assigned him his bendi... 'road crew'... cleaning off trails to various local hangouts.

Amon wouldn't have any trouble finding Sakima. He'd chosen a large vacant aerie on one of the topmost levels (thousands of steps upwards) well above the rest of the birds. It was an isolated place, limited in access, though well lit and roomie even for the larger than normal fledgling. Amon had time to grab his bedroll, some food, and anything else he might have needed before he headed upwards, looking for the albino bird.

He would find him too, sunning himself on the aerie's outside ledge, thoughtfully overlooking the twin lakes as if deep in contemplation.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Amon on June 20th, 2010, 7:33 pm

There was a definite excitement when Duvin spoke of his new bendi assignment and the seemingly important task that now weighed on his shoulders. He had always looked up to the Youthmaster, something to strive to become, headstrong, dutiful, full to the brim with a personality that attracted children and adults alike. There was a grin dancing on his face and his eyes lit up in glee, because despite it all, he would never have guessed that such a job would have been given to him of all people. As soon as Duvin had finished relaying what it was he had to do, Amon bowed deeply to him, holding the supplies close to his chest. “I won’t disappoint, sir!”

With that said, he turned and bolted to his bed, using the bedroll as a makeshift bag in which he placed the items he received. His hands were quick but fumbling all the same, mostly distracted by the incessant beating of his heart in his ears. This was the moment! He had to gather his wits and be calm in both mind and spirit. He would take care of this bird and hoped it would come to love him as much as he was sure Amon would love the Wind Eagle. Duvin had spoken of it having a “condition”, but what that might have meant he wasn’t sure, other than the occasional remembrances he got of adults discussing the status of a new fledgling eagle.

He shook his head at the thoughts swarming his mind and focused on what he was to do then and now. He needed some food before he left, so he didn’t have to come down later. Other than that, he would take his quiver and bow, to practice if anything else, and he would be set. Tying the bulging bedroll over his shoulder securely, Amon grabbed his bow and quiver, then made off toward the communal kitchens. He had grabbed a sack to stuff various foods in, and he proceeded to do so, and if someone so much as asked why he was there, he told them he would stock up for his new bendi assignment, to which they responded with a curt nod.

As ready as he ever was, Amon raced up the halls of Wind Reach, moving higher and higher, and passing peoples of varying castes and professions. He did not stop to greet him because of the sheer excitement that forced his legs forward, step after step, as fast as he could manage with the luggage he carried. When he had arrived at the aeries, breathless and heaving over in exhaustion, his eyes roamed for the creature he was to look after. There were only seemingly normal Wind Eagles here, so he moved upwards, taking the winding steps higher and higher, until he came to the room that held the albino bird.

There was no doubt of it, despite his “condition”, Sakima was beautiful. The way his feathers shimmered in the sunlight caused the poor young boy to stop dead in his track, mesmerized. He wasn’t sure if he would be aware of his sudden entrance, but Amon nonetheless trekked slowly across the room, placing his belongings in a corner so as not to be in the way while he cleaned. At once he got to work, and stealing glances at Sakima on occasion, mentally noting that he didn’t look as weak or vulnerable as he had previously thought.

The smile played on his lips as he scoured the ground, scrubbing at hidden crevices in the floor and inching his way closer to Wind Eagle. And he found himself a mere ten paces away, able to soak just about every pristine detail about him. “Has anyone ever told you you look amazing?” He mumbled out loud, nearly blushing when he realized what he’d said, because he was sure Sakima would not respond. There was a temptation in him to reach out his hand and touch the soft feathers, but he kept himself from it so as not to provoke him.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 20th, 2010, 8:29 pm

The bird opened its beak, hissed a bright sharp tone, and closed it again. His words echoed brightly in Amon's mind. "Hasn't anyone ever told you its not polite to not introduce yourself?" The bird said in retort, its ill humor filling the aerie. Amon could feel the anger in its voice, the shame, and a bit of steadfast determination. "I am Sakima. I thought I was supposed to be greeted by a crowd of fawning young humans waiting for me to choose which one of them to be a packhorse for?" The eagle said, lifting its wings, shaking them out, and then pacing the length of the ledge.

It sounded disappointed that only Amon had come. "So, is that why you are here? Hoping to catch my eye and wow me with your superior intellect and strength? You're only one scrawny boy... with... cleaning supplies?" The bird tilted its head, got a better look, and shrieked with what passed for birdish laughter. "You aren't here to be my rider, are you? You're here to clean off bird poop!" The eagle grew furious. Amon could feel its rage like a tangible thing, a wall of emotion that slammed into him - bright hot and red. "In case you hadn't noticed, we're a little too smart to defecate in our aeries! I do not need a cleanup yasi! GET OUT!" The eagle shrieked.

Then it lauched itself at Amon, grabbed him up with a talon, cow-hopped to the edge, and leaped off - snapping his wings open and catching wind. Amon simply dangled in the air by one leg held firmly in the grasp of the eagle's talon. "Tell me, boy without a name or the courtesy enough to introduce yourself.... why I shouldn't drop you?" The bird shrieked.

For all that Sakima was in a temper, the view was incredible. It truly was breath taking as the fledgling rose higher in the sky, pressing at the wind and picking up one of the volcano's thermals to catch a ride on. Below, two eagles launched off a ledge of their own - shared - and began discretely following. The male had a rider, one had harness but her partner was no where to be seen.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amon on June 20th, 2010, 9:05 pm

There was sudden mixture of fear and excitement when he heard the eagle's words. Then the blow of hostility hit him like an avalanche. He stopped in his scrubbing to look up at Sakima, blue eyes marked with confusion at his remarks. “I was.. I mean, I apologize. I was only excited to be able to see you. It hadn’t crossed my mind.“ And then the blast of aggression spewed forth like a tidal wave. It overwhelmed the young yasi, and he stumbled back in surprise, dropping the bucket he held in his hand.

“It’s my bendi assignment.” He responded curtly, building up all the strength he had to face the untamed beauty before him. “But if you wished it of me to find you others, I would gladly do it.” The fury affected him in such a way that he even winced, massaging his temples in earnest, but still, his gaze locked onto Sakima’s. Yes he was afraid that the eagle would kill him, wasn’t everyone that risked a life in the aeries? Taking precautions to not anger the majestic birds was top priority, because it was so painfully easy for them to dispose of people that pestered them so.

As was made apparent to Amon when the eagle swooped him up in a talon after a heartrenching shriek. He struggled and yelped in surprise, but he soon found himself held upside down as he was lifted off the ground. Sakima’s words still echoed in his head, and he struggled to keep his voice steady as he spoke, closing his eyes to help ease his mind. “My name is Amon, and I would really appreciate it if you didn’t drop me, good Sakima! I’ve only come to keep you company. If you drop me, you will once again be solitary. Do you not want people to love and care for you?!” His breathing became sharp and harder to manage as harsh winds struck his face and blood began to rush to his head.

“Please rethink this, you could tell me to do anything you want and it will be done. I will prove to you I‘m capable!” He cried, chancing a peek from his awkward position and noting the eagles below. Ah, so they’ve come to watch my death. Came morbid thoughts, and he smiled grimly to himself, but still his heart pounded in his ears. Harder and faster than ever before, fueled by the fear and sheer adrenaline that engulfed him. So much so that it hurt.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 21st, 2010, 5:12 pm

The eagle screamed, though it was hard to tell if it was in the joy of the flight, the annoyance of the company, or in laughter.... since the feeling Amon was getting was a mixture of all three. It snapped its wings closed, tucked its legs (and Amon by default) up against its body, and dove suddenly. Spiraling downward, the bird appeared to be about ready to slam into the larger of the two bodies of water located at the center of the volcano's crater. At the last minute, Sakima snapped open his wings, braked, and thrust his legs forward (and thus Amon by default again), dipping the boy in the warmth of the lake as the white eagle skimmed over its surface. He didn't quite.... drown the boy... but it was close.

Catching another thermal after a series of strong wingbeats, Sakima rose gracefully in a climb that took him once more past his parents and up towards the rim of Skyinarta. Amon was still upside down... and this time soaking wet. "You talk too much and say too little. I'm not stupid enough to drop you. I just wanted to see if you'd wet yourself." The bird said in amusement, and then reversed its course with a spin, tossing Amon into the air. He soared alone for a few moments, then neatly found himself landing on Sakima's neck... backwards.

"Can't you do anything right? Face forward will you?"
The bird whispered into his mind as he slowly banked right and began another long lazy spiral along the rim of the volcano. The pair of watchriders at the Lookout called a greeting to them as they passed, then seemed to look on amused. The wind up this high was cold, especially on wet skin and clothing, but it was also devoid of moisture. That meant in only a few minutes, Amon was dry once more... if almost frozen.

Sakima, for all his bold ways, seemed to be taking some care with him now. "I promised myself I'd take the first likely candidate to show his face in my aerie if he didn't piss himself the first time I took him for a swim. That is conditional though, if he can stick on me without any saddle." The bird said, waiting for Sakima to resettle himself and get a good grip. Then, once he was seemingly ready, Sakima dove again, this time aiming for the opening about the wateralls, planning on shooting out of the crater and up over the Sanikas Valley. It looked like it would be a flight containing no mercy and no regrets.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amon on June 22nd, 2010, 3:29 am

Oh and Amon definitely felt it alright. It was absolutely a vivid feeling, but despite all the misfortunate that befell him today, he saw it as an opportunity, to well, be himself. What more can this bird do other than kill him? And from the way things were going, with his head feeling as if it was about to burst and his arms dangling above him, things were not about to get any better. Then came the water. For a moment he was taken by surprise with a yelp, and water filled his nose and entered his throat, leaving him coughing and spluttering when Sakima lifted him up out of the water once again.

Attempting to regain his breath, his voice was hoarse as he spoke. “Thanks for that,” a cough, “ I really did need a bath today.” There was no use being afraid. He was in the hands of a magnificent beast, and, well, he had a great view, albeit in the wrong perspective. If he was to die, then let the beautiful view of Mt. Skyinarta be his grave.

Now they were going upwards once again, the wind blasting him in full force when he was tossed in the air, causing him to shiver and tremble uncontrollably. Still he flailed and yelled out in the jump, until he landed with a thud on the back of Sakima’s neck. There was a moment where he totally ignored the eagle’s words, because the shock simply rendered him silent. Then he shook his head, gripped Sakima’s feathers as tightly yet as gently as he could, and turned himself around to face forward. With his legs pressed firmly on either side, he held on with all his strength as the bird dove through the air.

“Well, look at it this way,” He shouted, although his voice cracked from the shivers that rocked his body. “At least I didn’t wet myself, you did it for me.” All the fear he held, all the anxiety, all the doubt melted away as they flew. It was such a refreshing, life-altering experience, that his heart pounded against his chest and he felt his senses heightened. “This is completely insane, and I love it.” And Amon couldn’t help but toss his head back and let out an excited yell into the wind.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on July 9th, 2010, 7:23 pm

The albino eagle screamed and flew upwards, tucking his wings at the last minute as he gained enough altitude to dive down, pass beneath the falls, and shoot out over the valley. It was a new sensation to fly with a rider, one he'd only ever seen his parents enjoy and the other bonded eagles around Wind Reach. As the bird stretched his wings outward, gaining altitude, he was surprised at Amon's joy. Sakima was different. Colorless. A bit smaller than most birds but far larger than they'd expected him to get. Potential riders had shied from his Aerie like crazy, not wanting to be the one bonded to the sickly bird - the bird most likely not to survive the full fledgeling season.

It wasn't true of course. He could hunt with the best of them and was faster than average. He was more agile in the air than the larger birds, especially his parents, and just needed a rider brave enough to take a chance on his health and his size and agree to be with him.

Amon he knew. Not exactly by sight, but indeed by reputation. He was an competent archer for his age, which meant his skill would only grow as time passed. And that was good, because Sakima knew things that most eagles didn't know. He could see what was coming. He could feel the battle brewing just on the horizon. And while all the eagles knew why the Inarta were here and what they guarded deep within Mount Skyinarta, none of them fully realized how vulnerable their people were if knowledge somehow got leaked or their secret discovered.

He needed a strong - fierce - rider. Someone who would stick by him through thick and thin. He wanted someone that would see past the color of his feathers, the pink of his eyes, and the near translucence of his scales and claws and beak. He needed someone with heart and soul and full fledged passion.

Amon seemed to fit the bill. The Wind Eagle knew the gods provided when one was ready, but he hadn't quite thought it worked exactly like that. Sakima reached out then, with his consciousness, and tried to form the link. He hated to hope, but couldn't help but try. Amon would have to have the mental fortitude to be able to link with him. It was a gift some called empathy and some called telepathy... but it was a natural mental strength that all the Inarta tended to possess. Sakima's consciousness wrapped around Amon's and tried to seal the bond, tried to pierce the veils that limited their two separate minds to their two separate bodies. If he could bridge the gap, trading part of himself for part of Amon and form the link, then Amon would suddenly feel Sakima's wings as his own. Sakima's screams would seem to come from his own throat. His joy of flight would be magnified a hundred fold as he hurled himself through time and space completely free of earthbound chains.

But it was up to Amon to make the link.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amon on July 11th, 2010, 3:59 am

This was what he’d truly hoped and longed for his entire life. This is what he strived to become, to experience and to cherish for an eternity. To be honest, Sakima’s color didn’t click in the youth’s mind that he was weak. He saw him as special, a precious stone or jewel to be treasured, and to love with all his heart and soul. This bird had given him a chance, one that other fledglings had not when he had gone to their aeries. Yes, he was a rather fiesty, downright blunt and seemingly insane bird from in the beginning, but he had given him the opportunity to prove himself.

And here he was, gripping Sakima’s soft, vibrantly beautiful feathers in shivering hands, trembling but elated at the same time. The adrenaline that coursed through him was enough to stop his chattering teeth, but his eyes watered from the force of wind blowing into them. But what’s a little pain in the joy of flight? It was becoming far easier for him to hold on, and he was contemplating risking falling off the grand eagle to lift his arms up when he felt a strange and rather pleasant sensation wrap around his mind.

Then it dawned on him. He meant to link with him! His heart beat faster, overwhelmed yet joyous, afraid but ecstatic. He closed his eyes, with only the feeling of the comforting feathers rustling against his fingers giving him any sense of calm. His concentration was difficult, but he could feel the pressure of Sakima’s mind in his own, and he expanded his own inner walls to absorb him, to take him in and seal the bond. It felt as if it was merely second nature, this empathy, but it left him breathless and tired, as if all the sudden events that transpired finally crashed down on him like an avalanche.

But this soon washed away when he opened his eyes and found himself not looking in the point of view of a rider, but of the eagle himself. Those strong, agile wings, the sheer raw power in the form of a flying raptor. Exhilarating. Is this what all Riders feel like when they fly? He thought, consumed in the sheer beauty of the sensation. What more could he have asked for? A child of fourteen had managed to find the Wind Eagle that would be his lifelong companion. And then had he to wonder if Duvin knew this would happen. “Sakima..” He gasped, eyes wide and virtually unblinking, he was transfixed. “You’re truly everything I’ve wanted and more, you’re not like the rest, you’re better.”
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on August 1st, 2010, 3:19 pm

The eagle screamed his joy as Amon made the link. Just as Amon's awareness expanded to include the eagle beneath him, Sakima's awareness contracted to fit itself inside of the tiny fragile body perched on his back. The eagle automatically mentally nudged the boy into a better more comfortable position on his neck and back by showing him how the boy felt from the eagles perspective sitting perched on his shoulders awkwardly. Further back, relax more, ease up on the feathers a bit. As soon as Amon moved, Sakima was far more comfortable. Then, as the bond solidified more deeply, Amon started to feel Sakima's feelings. The bird loved flight. The creature beneath him was strong, powerful, wise. He hadn't bonded, or at least hadn't been in a hurry because he was picky, not because he was different. Sakima had been willing to wait any amount it time to get a smart fierce rider, one that wasn't afraid of the work they'd have to do for Skyinarta.

Even as the bond solidified, Amon began to understand one thing fundamentally. Without the eagles - the people would starve. Without the people, the eagles would fall to ruin. He could feel Sakima's need for him, the whole that was heavy in his soul for taking so long to go without a rider. It had been a sacrifice. A large one. But he'd gladly taken it on to wait and be ready for a time Amon had been ready for him. Sakima hadn't known Amon had been the one, not really, not until he'd seen him the first time and only when he'd dunked him had he been sure.

It was beautiful though. Powerful. Sakima's voice in Amon's head was real, purposeful, and it was as if Amon suddenly grew out of himself -became far more than he ever imagined he could be. Amon spread the wings beneath him, borrowing his mounts awareness, and caught a thermal to trail upwards.

Never alone. Not for the whole of his life. As he beat his wings and his eagle laughed in his mind, the pair climbed to heaven, playful knowing that today would be perhaps the one day of leisure for them both. Tomorrow, the real work began. Dangerous. Deadly. Important. Neverending. Tomorrow Amon started his life as an Endal, and though the rank had privileges - food, drink, women, incredibly nice chambers. Many of his kind never slowed down enough to enjoy it.

Character: Amon
Experience: +5 Riding (Eagle), + 5 Observation, +5 Negotiation
Lore: Bonding with a Wind Eagle, Taking on Incredible Responsibility, Becoming an Endal

Additional Note: Nice thread. Thank you so much for it!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes