Myrian Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Myrian Questions

Postby Siiri on September 18th, 2009, 4:30 am

Hi all! New player here... I'll do my introductions later when I get home from the office. :)

Meanwhile, I have questions!
1. Are Myrians xenophobic/racists, or do they just don't like members of another race trodding on their territory? I mean, it's quite clear from the writeups that they don't like non-Myrians walking around in their turf but how would they behave (in general) if they were in another land?
2. Would a Myrian even leave Falyndar, or is a special reason required for them to do so? Are there Myrians in other parts of Mizahar? I got the impression they'd rather stay in their homeland and rebuild.
3. Is there a complete list of Myrian tribe/family names or can I just make a name up on the fly for my character?

That's it for now, but more questions to come later on though! Thanks in advance for the answers! :D
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Re: Myrian Questions

Postby Datik on September 18th, 2009, 7:20 am

Hello there. While I am not Cayenne, the Designer that made the Myrians(not to mention all of Falyndar), I have spoken with her on occasion about this very subject and might be able to help until she can post.

The only one I can answer definitively is #3, which can be found at http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Taloba#Politics. That, unless Cayenne has something squirreled away somewhere, is the only list of current family names. But! You are more then welcome to also make up a family name as I have for Datik, which would be "Datik of the Twin Claws".

As to #1, from my understanding "it's a little of Column A, and a little of Column B". They think they are superior in fighting, and that might makes right. They most certainly dont like people on their territory however.

And for #2; sure, a Myrian might leave Falyndar. Datik will very unlikely start in Falyndar(once I get him going...), due to how I've built him as a character. While "special" might be a strong word to use, they would have a reason of some sort to be outside of Taloba. Nothing like "They tried to kill Myri and are now running for their life", but something. Datik just likes to hunt. Other creatures. That are sentient. And there arent a ton of Dhani, and the Charoda dont put up much of a fight. So its off to Sylira for him most likely.

Anyways, I hope maybe some of that can help you. Of course, do not take my word as gospel. And if I see Cayenne in chat, I'll make sure to point her this way. :)
Datik
Player

Words: 729
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2009, 3:33 pm

Postby Siiri on September 18th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Another question:
I know Myrians revere tigers, but is it possible for them to admire other creatures of the jungles of Falyndar, say a python or crocodile, for the creatures' fighting prowess? I intend to have my character be part of a tribe called the Python Coils (if allowed to have my own tribe name), specializing in unarmed combat. Alternatively, her tribe could be called Serpent Warders, whose village is located along the borders of Dhani territory, guardians against possible incursion by the serpentine people. I don't know enough of the Myrian culture and psyche yet to decide regarding this (although I do prefer the first one!).

Any input would be a lot of help in finalizing my character. Thanks!
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kamalia Timandre on September 19th, 2009, 8:17 am

Hello Siiri,
Actually, one of the best features of Mizahar is that it has a world development system, and that players can participate in developing the world! You can post your ideas here:

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/world-development-f80.html
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 22nd, 2009, 7:32 am

I've given Cayenne some time to answer these, but since she hasn't popped in, I thought I'd take a stab just so you don't think any of us are ignoring your questions. Now, I'm not the 'race creator' but some of these questions merit simple responses.

Meanwhile, I have questions!
1. Are Myrians xenophobic/racists, or do they just don't like members of another race trodding on their territory? I mean, it's quite clear from the writeups that they don't like non-Myrians walking around in their turf but how would they behave (in general) if they were in another land?
2. Would a Myrian even leave Falyndar, or is a special reason required for them to do so? Are there Myrians in other parts of Mizahar? I got the impression they'd rather stay in their homeland and rebuild.
3. Is there a complete list of Myrian tribe/family names or can I just make a name up on the fly for my character?

1. I think it depends on the individual Myrian. No place in the writeup does it state they are xenophobic or racist. The tone and flavor of the writeup, as I read it, does imply that they are protective of their lands. So, I would assume that some myrians might be racist and some might not be. That being said, they just don't get out of their jungle much. I doubt they would behave with as much elitism as their writeups suggests they have in Falyndar outside of Falyndar. Frankly, the race seems to have evolved in the jungle where they have a distinct advantage, but outside of the jungle, I would think their 'superior fighting skills' would have less impact. The writeup has no actual disadvantage for the race, but beings as they need to have a balance (Konti are fragile, Akalaks are prone to dual personalities, Nuit have bodies that rot, Pycon... well does the word 'clay' seem weak?), as a mod I would place them at a disadvantage outside of their evolved region ie.. the jungle physically.

2. Characters move around for all sorts of reasons. Some are curious about the world, some hate their family, some get driven out. I don't think they need a special reason to wander. Would they be more 'comfortable' physically in jungle? Probably, but then again I love the snow and winter and ice.... and I'm not very comfortable in it as a human.. not like a polar bear would be. So, I wouldn't say they need any special reason... but if they have one, more power to them and thats better character development overall.

3. This was answered. Its in the writeup.

Another question:
I know Myrians revere tigers, but is it possible for them to admire other creatures of the jungles of Falyndar, say a python or crocodile, for the creatures' fighting prowess? I intend to have my character be part of a tribe called the Python Coils (if allowed to have my own tribe name), specializing in unarmed combat. Alternatively, her tribe could be called Serpent Warders, whose village is located along the borders of Dhani territory, guardians against possible incursion by the serpentine people. I don't know enough of the Myrian culture and psyche yet to decide regarding this (although I do prefer the first one!).

Any input would be a lot of help in finalizing my character. Thanks!

As always Kamalia does a good job of pointing out that development is always encouraged. If you want to add ANYTHING to existing literature, especially when your having trouble getting in contact with someone who was an original author, feel free to post in the world development forum. We're going to say yes to anything reasonable.. and your proposal sounds interesting and reasonable.

And, I'm sorry if I'm stepping on toes by answering this, but I feel odd/bad leaving any question set more than a day or two. This is especially true of people trying to get new characters started... so I'll be jumping in more often and frequently. If original authors have issues with my answers, they can take me to task in the thread. :P
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Siiri on September 22nd, 2009, 2:04 pm

Hey, thanks for the answers! I've also PMed Cayenne about this, and other questions as well. I guess I'll wait for her reply before continuing with this. I'll have to revise my character's background too anyway.

Thanks again, your answers cleared up many things for me. :)
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Cayenne on September 22nd, 2009, 3:11 pm

I'm so sorry. -_-

Thank you to Datik and Goss for getting in here.

Gossamer has this right.

What Goss said. :)

Go for it. The Myrian tribes are pretty varied. :)

Another question:

This one was answered in the PM. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Siiri on September 24th, 2009, 12:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

Is it okay if I ask more questions? I have a ton of them, and I'm having a hard time choosing which ones to ask first! :D

Anyway, here are the questions:
1. After the Valterrian, what year did the Myrians open the gates of Taloba to survey what happened to the rest of Falyndar? I'm assuming this took quite a while, since other races have settled in their lands while they were locked up inside their city.

2. It is mentioned that they gathered survivors when they reopened the gates of Taloba. These survivors must have had some place to wait out the aftereffects of the Valterrian, and it's hard to imagine them just living off the land, what with the animals that's become their source of food being displaced from their natural habitats because of the sudden change in the land, etc, so there must have been villages still standing around outside Taloba that didn't suffer too much devastation, right? Even the races who've settled in Falyndar, and wiped out by the Myrians afterwards, would have erected settlements for themselves. That said, won't it make sense to use some of these villages as staging points for raids on the Charodae or outposts to monitor Dhani activity? I'd like to have one of these villages as the starting point of my character if possible. I'll post my proposal in the World Development section once I get a reply here. :)

3. Taloba must be pretty self-sufficient to hold the Myrian populace during the effects of the Valterrian. Do they grow crops within the city? Does a tributary of the Basin run through Taloba (for fishing, irrigation, water supply)? A landbound city wouldn't survive for long without one.

That's all for now I guess. Thanks in advance for the answers!
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Cayenne on September 24th, 2009, 1:35 am

1. After the Valterrian, what year did the Myrians open the gates of Taloba to survey what happened to the rest of Falyndar? I'm assuming this took quite a while, since other races have settled in their lands while they were locked up inside their city.

I don't know the exact year. Most of those races didn't travel to the region - they appeared there and set up camp. But the Myrians did emerge fairly quickly. Between their own senses and the tigers, they weren't extremely hindered by the dark. As far as they were concerned, only a poor warrior could be bothered by it.

2. It is mentioned that they gathered survivors when they reopened the gates of Taloba. These survivors must have had some place to wait out the aftereffects of the Valterrian, and it's hard to imagine them just living off the land, what with the animals that's become their source of food being displaced from their natural habitats because of the sudden change in the land, etc, so there must have been villages still standing around outside Taloba that didn't suffer too much devastation, right? Even the races who've settled in Falyndar, and wiped out by the Myrians afterwards, would have erected settlements for themselves. That said, won't it make sense to use some of these villages as staging points for raids on the Charodae or outposts to monitor Dhani activity? I'd like to have one of these villages as the starting point of my character if possible. I'll post my proposal in the World Development section once I get a reply here. :)

They searched for survivors, and tried to gather who they could that still lived. They didn't find any. Those that did not make it to the protection of Taloba perished. The land mass that became Falyndar was already jungle before the Valterrian - it just became bigger and far more tangled and far more dangerous. Most of those races, like the Jollai, picked up where the previous inhabitants left off - like in Syka.

Like Syka... these villages were often destroyed between the combat and the decision to purify them to purge these places (if they had been Myrian villages before the newcomers took up residence in them) of the taint that came with these outsiders.

They keep an eye on the Charodae because they were fishing over there. It's otherwise difficult to raid when your target is on the ocean's floor a long distance off of land. But it's been quite a while since the Charodae appeared, and they make no attempt to settle anywhere on the land. If they do, they're in trouble. Otherwise the Myrians really can't do too much about Charbosi.

As I mentioned in my PM, Caiyha brokered a deal between Myri and Siku that allows the Dhani to stay in Zinrah. If they go outside those boundaries, they're free game. Keeping an outpost to watch them is an open invitation to be raided. The Myrians prefer to try to surprise the Dhani, and give them false senses of security... that they're not there.

3. Taloba must be pretty self-sufficient to hold the Myrian populace during the effects of the Valterrian. Do they grow crops within the city? Does a tributary of the Basin run through Taloba (for fishing, irrigation, water supply)? A landbound city wouldn't survive for long without one.

Taloba was built with plans for battle in mind. Supplies are kept, maintained, and even hoarded for such situations. There are plenty of edible plants that were, and are, grown within the city. There are no tributaries running through the city due to security risks. Taloba is completely walled in, but they are close to the Basin, and there is a LOT of rain in Falyndar, and I do mean a lot. And unlike a tributary, the rain comes without the risk of something swimming through or poisoning it. And while that runs the risk of mosquitoes, there are plenty of birds and carnivorous plants that would eat said skeeters. Granted, then you have to worry about venus flytraps going omnomnom at you, but... them's the breaks.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Siiri on September 25th, 2009, 12:55 am

Thanks for the answers Cayenne. :)

I see Taloba's really contructed to withstand a prolonged siege; it's completely self-sufficient even without anyone going outside its walls. Cool!

Couple more questions, please:
1. On the (very) rare chance that a child is born with a physical defect, how do the child's mother/family see it? What about the rest of society? How about becoming disabled from battle? How are amputees, the lame and the blinded (all from battle) viewed by the Myrian people?
2. Do Myrians only mate amongst themselves? If yes, won't this cause recessive genes and weaken the race? Or can a female choose from someone outside their race to impregnate her? What about male Myrians?
3. When choosing a life partner, is it mutually agreed upon by both parties or do the females "choose" and the males really have no choice? If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to know more about the dynamics of romantic relationships among Myrians (if it exists).

Thanks in advance for the answers!
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next