I Hate You (Aidara)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies the realm of dreams, where dreamers who are scattered all over the world in the physical can come together in the mysterious world of dreams. Remember, unless one is a Dreamwalker, there is no control over dreams. Ever. Anything can happen, and by threading a dream, you are subject to whomever can walk dreams and the whims of Storytellers.

I Hate You (Aidara)

Postby Orion Michaels on April 11th, 2013, 9:03 pm

75th Day of Spring, 513 AV
Dreamscapes

A soft breeze flowed through a field of white flowers while Syna’s rays gently caressed everything in its reach. Birds chirped happily overhead, floating swiftly through the sky to their destination, regardless of where it may be. A bubbling creek sang its own song of rushing water, moving where its path in the earth allowed it to go. All was serene, all was peaceful. All was beautiful.

Orion found himself resting in the midst of the exquisite blooms, the sound of his soft breathing all but out of place in the calm of nature. A soft tickling sensation on his nose aroused his senses and caused him to reactively open his eyes. A butterfly had landed on his face, slowly waving its nearly transparent wings in the graceful wind. It was a scene right out a story. It was a scene right out of a dream.

Orion laughed, reaching up to playfully swat at the butterfly, causing it to go airborne in order to escape the young man’s touch. A beam of sunlight caught the wings just right, displaying the full brilliance of the insect’s splendor. Almost sparkling, glistening, and glowing in the light, brilliant blue hue coming forth when at just the right angle. “Well hello there little thing. You’re a playful one, aren’t you?” Orion sat up as he spoke, looking at the creature as it danced through the air. It flew away from Orion, circled in the sky and then came back to him, fluttering about his face. This elicited another outburst of laughter from the squire. He was supposed to be Syliras, getting ready for a patrol tomorrow, but it seemed that he’d wondered outside of the city. It was worth it. Dinah wouldn’t mind at all, right? He was relaxing to get ready for a grueling end of season.

The butterfly repeated its path over and over until Orion finally stood, trying to shoo it away. “What do you want, little one? Shall I follow you?” What an absurd question. It was a butterfly. It couldn’t possibly give him an answ-

”…Yes…”

Orion’s heart nearly stopped as a sweet, sing songy voice rang in his mind. He’d not heard vocals like that since…

The little insect turned back to him, and then floated away again, this time with Orion in tow. His brow raised instinctively as confusion overtook his countenance, the blue eyed man plodding along through the field of flowers. “This is all too weird,” he muttered, looking around at the endless meadow. There was no place like this around Syliras, at least not that he knew of. Surely he would have been told of something this magnificent.

Onward did the little butterfly go, with Orion following obediently behind. It led him for what felt like an eternity, but never did he tire, never did he grow weary. Syna’s light refreshed him, and the fragrant scent of flowers kept him taking step after step. Gradually the field began to thin, giving away to rocks and rough ground. The flowers were fewer and fewer, and the vibrant green grass was less so, turning in to a sickly olive, then to a dying brown. Still, the butterfly kept its vitality and magnificence. If ever did Orion stop, it would immediately flap its tiny wings in Orion’s face to get him going again.

“What are you?”

No reply. Maybe he had been hearing things. How long had they been walking? Why wasn’t he weary? What was going on? Orion’s thoughts ran wild, but never once did he avert his gaze from the insect. He couldn’t lose it. He had to follow it. He could tell down to the depths of his soul if he let the wonderful creature leave, he would regret it for the rest of his life. Not that it was letting him go. It scarcely gave him respite if he took a moment to look around. No, he had to keep his eyes on it. Trailing behind it was his only option.

At this point there were but a scattering of flowers about, the field otherwise devoid of life. Only the blue butterfly acted a beacon in what had become a wasteland. In the very near distance he could see that the land ended, dropped off, and stopped. Why did it lead him here? It was so peaceful before. No longer did birds sing. The breeze had stopped entirely. Even the sky had turned grey. There was no more life about.

It fluttered out onto a ledge, Orion close by. His guide now floated in place, no longer moving onward, and he was thankful for that. He couldn’t have resisted walking off into nothingness if the butterfly had willed it. Looking down past the edge, there was nothingness. A dark abyss of empty awaited those who took the plunge. No light, no life, no anything. What was here but death?

“Why did you lead me here?”

”..Ri-Ri..”

His heart stopped. Only one person called him that. It wasn’t possible. It couldn’t be.

Someone was playing the cruelest of jokes.

“What are you?!”

The blue butterfly answered him with a swirl of light. Spinning around, a transformation occurred before his eyes. No longer did fragile wings dance about before him. Instead, nude as when one steps into the world, there was a woman. Beautiful, lithe frame, perfect curves, and milky white skin. Long, straight hair which was dyed blue hung down, covering her breasts from view, but for once in his memory, the fact a woman was naked before him was not of concern to him. Instead it was this specter that floated before him. A ghost from Orion’s past. A beautiful, beautiful ghost.

“Lyla…” His breath was sucked from him. She was dead. She wasn’t supposed to be here.

She said nothing as she floated just above the ground, a snowy purity about her which the filth of the world deserved not to touch. Her gentle gaze rested on the squire, and his knees nearly gave out, just like the first time they met. Just like when he stupidly fell in love at first sight. The moment his life changed, no, the reason his life changed was there before him.

“Where have you been? I’ve missed you so..” He took a step towards the blue haired beauty, eyes welling up with tears of happiness, shock, and relief. He’d not cried over a woman in so long. None had made his heart sing like she had. None had made him feel alive. None of them spoke to him on a primal level as she did. He wanted to take her in his arms, hold her close, kiss her, love her, whisper to her, and live with her like they were supposed to. There were none like her. There were none like Lyla.

And now she was back.

His eyes fell to a single, untainted, white rose which grew without fear from the wicked dirt beneath it. It defied all that was levied against it. Like her. It was a perfect gift.

He reached down and plucked the perfect flower from the ground and reached up to give it to Lyla. “I’m so happy to see you again. I’ve thought about you every tick, of every chime, of every bell, of every day, of every season, of every year. Ever since I thought you were gone.” He took a deep breath, fighting back a sob. Years of emotions threatened to spill over and consume him, consume their moment. He just wanted to bask in her presence, not pervert the moment with his wicked tears.

Slender, unblemished fingers reached out to the flower, and it floated from Orion’s grasp, hovering in the air before her. It rotated slowly, its petals swaying in a breeze which didn’t exist. An expressionless face studied the rose, the young woman tilting her head slightly to observe it closely before looking up to Orion.

“Ri-Ri…”

“Lyla, I love y-“

Her finger brushed against the rose petals, and Orion didn’t get to finish his proclamation of affection. White turned to black, then to brown as the petals transformed and then withered right before his eyes. A vacant face turned into one of annoyance, perfect features twisting into a look which Orion had always feared to see. Annoyance turned into rage as she opened her supple lips to speak.

“I hate you, Orion Michaels.”

Orion’s heart stopped. Those words unleashed a stream of tears from his eyes, the waterworks blowing completely open. It couldn’t be. They were in love. There wasn’t room for that.

“L-Lyla, n-no…” He wiped his cheeks of the liquid, but only a moment later the streams covered his face again.

“Be quiet. You’re disgusting. I hate you.” She floated towards him, throwing the rose at his feet. The flower turned to dust before their eyes, blowing away as a huge gust came from nowhere, winding and circling around the two former lovers. “You used to be a gentle soul. Now you’re sick.”

Orion felt sick. He felt like he was shrinking. He felt worthless. “B-but, I couldn’t go on without you! I didn’t kno-“ Lyla snapped at him and cut off his protest.

“Ri-Ri. Is it my fault that you’re a whore? Is it Lyla’s fault that you can’t control yourself? How dare you use a woman you claim to love as an excuse to sleep with every woman in Syliras and beyond. How dare you.”

Orion fell to his knees, scooping frantically at the dust as it disappeared. Droplets of water stained the dirt beneath him, as the earth greedily drank up his tears. Neglected, long forgotten, this ground thrived on the sustenance of his pain and sorrow. The already grey sky darkened and opened up with a torrential downfall of rain, obscuring any weeping which escaped from him.

“What happened to you? I always thought, I thought that if something happened to me, you’d move on, and make someone as happy as you made me. Instead, you’ve…you’ve become the worst. So hateful. So spiteful. And all to people who’ve never harmed you? You’ve forgotten how to love, and that’s what my favorite thing about you was. You genuinely cared.” The fair skinned beauty drifted away, over the edge of the cliff. “Who are you? I hear you ask that question to others. Why don’t you figure it out? Maybe you can stop being so horrid.”

He took each barb, wincing with every single one. She hated him. She’d never forgive him. “Lyla..”

“Don’t say my name. I want you to forget my name. I don’t want to be your excuse. I don’t want you to use me like that. We were a team. I was never your crutch, and you were never mine. I hate what you’ve become.” She began a descent, floating down into the void beneath them, looking up at Orion as he scrambled to the edge to watch her fall. A single tear escaped her eye as began to fade into blackness. “Forget about me, Ri-Ri. For both our sakes…”

“Lyla!! Don’t leave!”

He finally broke down entirely, collapsing into a fit of sobbing convulsions. He rolled back away from the ledge, stopping on his back as his wailing carried in the gale about him. He curled into a ball, turning to his side and pulling his knees to his chest to rest in the fetal position. Why did it have to happen like this? Everything was always so bright with Lyla. Everything was so perfect. Hate? The thought of the word sent him howling into a bigger fit. He never wanted to let go of her, but she was trying to force him to. How could he? The woman was his everything. Everything he lived for. Was it all gone now?

He felt naked. He felt cold. He felt alone. He didn’t want to move. Maybe he should just roll back over and go off the edge and join her in the depths. After the words she said, it wouldn’t have mattered.

After all, all he wanted to do now was die.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

I Hate You (Aidara)

Postby Aidara on April 15th, 2013, 12:56 am

The all-consuming darkness bored and terrified Addy all at once. For one, it was the same everywhere she looked, inky blackness that was so opaque that she could almost reach out and grab a handful of the stuff. But like clouds, it was insubstantial, though sifting through her fingers like sand as soon as she tried to trap some against her palm. It burned her skin, skin that shouldn’t burn, with a frozen heat. It was nothing, and yet it was something.

It was horrifying. The perfect disguise for whatever might be lurking behind this pitch-black un-cloud, and there was something there. There was always something there. Night after night Addy fought back the panic that eventually tried to claw it’s way up her throat, telling herself over and over that it was just that fluffy sugar candy gone wrong; normally bright blues and pinks, harmless and quite delicious if one had the taste for such sweetness. This was just the stuff of the night, though Addy didn’t chance a sample.

There was no reason for her to be afraid. Nothing ever happened. The blackness consumed her night, her dreams, and was gone when she woke. She was alone and okay. Almost safe, despite this ever present, incorporeal companion of sorts.

Reality was that the little healer failed to access her dreams, whatever part that showed her sleeping mind to her had decided to take a vacation, or had slept in, for this all consuming nothingness filled in every crook of her head. She wouldn’t remember it when she awoke, but it didn’t matter. The little woman faced her most dreaded fear night after night.

Being alone wasn’t a relevant fear in Addy’s life, which was filled with lovers and companions, coworkers, Sira, and her daughter. She was the opposite of alone, really, and so the terror that plagued her since she was a child found a nice dusty corner in the back of her mind in which to lurk. But the recesses of her mind had been kicked into overdrive by something.

The dreams that did break through were more than dreams, though Addy hadn’t been able to piece anything together nor make any sense of them at all. None of the places or the people were recognizable, most definitely not anywhere the little woman had ever been- and that was an easy claim; She had never traveled.

Something bubbled beneath the darkness and Addy sat, brought upright from the lazy floating she had been doing, fingers trailing along in the inky lake of nothing, to gaze at the disruption. It was a tiny spot, just at her feet, while her eyes detected nothing Addy knew it was there. A foot was outstretched and tentatively poked to the grand result of: Nothing. Big surprise.

Emotion was stifled here in nowhere, but Addy felt frustration flare. Anguish and pain and an overwhelming sadness slammed into the little woman and forced a broken sob from her throat, her chest heaving in an unholy, hellishly painful gasp for breath. A breath she didn’t even want to take. The muscles throughout her body recoiled from the pain, made physical by the jarring of her nerves, and Addy curled in on herself, pulling her toe from the nothing-hole as she sought the fetal position.

It was the broken contact that brought the Inartan woman back into her own mind, her own feelings. The others were still there, but secondary to the confusion and wonder that manifested as a shock, racing across her scalp, down her neck and arms, leaving a trail of gooseflesh and raised hairs in its wake. She had felt that before, experienced the powers of another individuals feelings, but only with one other.

Sairque. Her Twin.

Smothering a cry of joy, Addy unwrapped herself from around herself and threw herself towards that mysterious little spot, hands scrabbling as she reached, fumbled and finally grabbed hold of the strange mote.

The Chavi grabbed her and pulled her headfirst out of that dark prison, dumping her unceremoniously into the field. A face full of daisys only slowed the little woman down a tiny bit before she scrambled to her feet; looking around for the sister whose emotions she had followed to this strange place. It was bright and light and happy and totally not Sai, but there would be a reason behind her twin's coming here. She always had a reason.

Birds chirped happily, the wind kissing the backs of her knees and whipping her auburn locks back and forth across her face but Addy paid no mind to any of it. Instead of taking in the beautiful scenery, she closed her eyes and focused on the pain that she had felt only moments before. Pain usually equaled danger, and Addy wasn’t going to come so close to finding her sister, only to lose her to something else.

It took only moments to locate the source that had brought her here, green eyes flying open and focusing on the big, black splotch that was the center of the field, the raw emotion practically throbbing through the grasses that surrounded the boy crumpled there. Heart in her throat, Addy ran, flinging herself towards the darkness with a painful, heart wrenching cry.

“Sai! It’s me! I’ve found you!”
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)