Flashback Desert Hospitality [Flashback]

Vinan remembers a family who showed him kindness in his youth.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Desert Hospitality [Flashback]

Postby Vinan on April 15th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Day 17, Season of Summer, 509 AV

The first thing he recalled was waking up in a bed, his throat parched with thirst. He could feel a moist cloth being pressed against his forehead, its source unknown. His vision was hazy, but from what he could perceive he was at the inside of a tent.
"You could have died".
His vision flooded back in an instant, and he snapped upright in the bed. He suddenly felt a huge amount of pain in his left shoulder, and slumped back down with a moan.
He saw a young woman sitting above him, pressing the moist cloth against his forehead. She had sky blue eyes and light tan skin and was wearing traditional robes. Benshira, then. "Water" he moaned. She offered a water-skin to him and he drank it down in a matter of seconds, much of it spilling onto his shoulders and chest.
"What happened?" he groaned, still lightheaded and thirsty but altogether much better off than before.
"I don't know. My father found you laying in the sand with your walking stick and brought you here. We were hoping you could tell us how you got there." He could remember perfectly. He was having another fight with his father. Eventually the argument turned to his mother. "You could have helped if you weren't so obsessed with your pastures!" "Well maybe if you had trained like I asked, you could have helped her yourself!" He couldn't remember much else of the conversation, but he did remember storming off. That had been five days ago.
His flashback was interrupted by her words. "So?" she said. "I'm sorry, what?" He had forgotten the question. "I was asking how you got here. It's not often we find strangers unconscious face first in the sands."
He hesitated. "I'm not sure". His face furrowed. Why did he lie? It wasn't something he usually did. Perhaps it was the pain he associated with the truth; it had only been five days since he left and he sometimes still missed his father.
Whatever the case, it would have to wait. A middle aged man had entered the room, and he was carrying Vinan's walking stick in hand.
Vinan
Player

Words: 4357
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Vinan on April 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm

"Tell me what this is", the man said, "or I'll force you out my tent."
"You wouldn't do that."
"And what makes you think I wouldn't?"
"You're a Benshira. Exile me and you go against Yahal." The man seemed to soften up. "You speak the truth", he muttered.
"But," the man added, "as a Benshira yourself it is against good manners to refuse a host. So tell me what this cane is." Vinan shrugged. "It's just a piece of wood I found lying on the ground. Frankly, I didn't even think it belonged to someone.Is it important?" There he went, lying again. What had gotten into him?
The man shrugged. "This piece of wood belonged to an old friend. One who was killed five years ago."
"Perhaps he left it on the ground somewhere."
"Perhaps..." For a time the man did seemed unsatisfied, but this was soon replaced with acceptance. "Whatever the case, it's in the past now. Come, let us eat. My wife's made us an excellent dinner."
Vinan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Vinan on April 21st, 2013, 3:24 pm

The man wasn't joking. His wife really could cook.
"I'm sorry, I never asked you your names."
"Oh, it's all right" the man responded. "My name is Ahur, and this is my child
Mine" he gestured towards the woman who was earlier tending his fever "and my lovely wife
Cahe" he pointed towards an older woman, possibly around the age of forty, with dark skin
and braided brown hair. She looked pregnant. "And what is your name?"
A problem. Vinan could not tell them his true name if Ahur knew of his tent. He hesitated, but answered
"I am Vinan, of the tents of Camen."
The man looked perplexed. "Tell me, Vinan, do you know anyone else by that name?"
"I don't believe its common where I come from, no. Why do you ask?"
"Oh, no. Its simply that you remind me of someone, that's all."
"And who might that be?" He regretted saying it immediately after the words came out of his
mouth. If Ahur found out his identity, he would be sent away for sure.
"Do you remember the friend I mentioned earlier?"
"Yes."
"He had a grandson named Vinan. Before he died, he introduced his grandson to me and I
taught him some skills in gardening. I'm not sure he remembered them, though. Anyways, the
point is that he looked remarkably like you. It must be a coincidence, I'm sure."
"Yes, such a great coincidence. Perhaps you will meet this other Vinan again someday?"
Ahur looked somber. "Probably not..."
But then he turned on a lighter note. "I'm finished. Who wants some tea?"
Vinan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Vinan on April 21st, 2013, 3:24 pm

Day 18, Season of Summer, 509 AV

The next meal was delicious as well, and not nearly as stressful. Vinan spent most of histime talking to Ahur and learning about her tent. She seemed nice, and not too
sheltered. And like her mother, she could really cook.
"You made this?" he said, gesturing towards a bowl of rice sitting in front of him.
"Yes, do you have a problem?" She seemed offended.
"No, no. Its just... well, its the best rice I've tasted in a while."
"Suprised?" she asked.
"Well... a little bit, yes. I didn't take you for the cooking type." he said, embarrased.
"No one does. People find out that I like building fires and the like and immediately assume I can't cook."
"I apologize for my disrespect." he said with a slight bow.
"There is no need. It happens a lot."
Vinan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Vinan on April 21st, 2013, 3:25 pm

Later that night he was approached by Ahur, and asked to come into his tent. As they enterred, Vinan couldn't help but notice the beatiful pots and jars lying around.
It was as if he had enterred a potter's palace.
"Come, have a seat." Ahur sat down as well.
Vinan was suddenly gripped with fear. What if he had been discovered? Would he be sent back home? Or would they simply throw him out of the tent, left to journey to
again through the desert sands? He knew such things were against Benshira law, but would it really be respected here? There was nobody to stop them.
"Will you not sit down?"
Vinan snapped out of his panic. He had no need to act suspicious. "Yes, of course."
"I need to talk to you about something important." Vinan prayed that he would not hear the words he thought he would.
"What is that?" Vinan answered, doing his best to stay calm.
"Vinan, I need you to leave my tent."
Vinan was shocked. "Why?"
"My wife, Mine is having a baby soon. I'm afraid that we don't have the amount of resources or money to feed both you and a child. There are things we must purchase
for him, such as a new bed and clothing, and this will leave us with an improper amount of funds."
Vinan nodded. "I understand."
"Know that I do this with regret."
"Yes, I know this. How long do I have before I must leave?"
"The baby is expected in around a month. We have to attain the merchandise needed to take care of him, so I would say you should leave in around a week."
"Very well. Is that all?"
"Yes, Vinan. That is all."
Vinan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Vinan on April 21st, 2013, 3:25 pm

Vinan did not sleep well that night.
Day 19, Season of Summer, 509 AV
In the morning, he awoke found himself with a light headache and dark rings around his eyes. What would he do when again in the desert sun?
He stepped out of his tent, throwing on some clothes and washing his face in a bit of water before wading out towards the fire, where he saw Mine was eating a meal.
"How did you sleep last night, Vinan?" asked Mine, dressed again in traditional Benshira robes.
"Terrible."
"Why is that?" She looked concerned.
"Your father told me that I must leave in a week."
"That's terrible! Why?"
"To make room for the baby."
Her face shifted to that of understanding. "Ah. I see."
"What am I going to do, Mine? I don't even know where I came from. How am I going to survive out there?" He felt terrible lying to her, especially now that he had
begun to know her. But it was a neccesary evil, so he swallowed his guilt and continued.
"I do not know. My father may be able to give you some food and water for your journey."
"I doubt it. He will need those for the baby."
"Then I am not sure. I'll talk to him about it later."
Vinan's spirits began to rise. Perhaps he would not die after all.
He reached for a piece of bread. He was famished.
Vinan
Player

Character sheet