Protection Gnosis?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Protection Gnosis?

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 19th, 2010, 10:25 pm

I have a couple of questions about Gnosis; I've been rifling through the lists, and was wondering if there was anything that could fit this bill. (Be it gift or curse gnosis)

Kamrynn is driven by an absolute need to protect others, and this is based on two times in the past where he was helpless to save loved ones despite his best efforts; his mother from sickness and his childhood friend/sweetheart from brigands.

I was wondering if there were any Gnosis that could mandate this reaction from him, like a Geas, whereupon he would be forcefully compelled and required to provide help and protection to anyone asking it from him, even if it would cause him trouble, suffering or death.

Again, I'm not sure if there's anything like this, or if Knights are even allowed to have gnosis, but if there's something like that I'd love to know so I could pitch a few of my ideas at the mods and try to RP his acquisition of such a mark.
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Words: 71523
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Protection Gnosis?

Postby Siiri on June 19th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Not really an answer to your question but I'm curious - if he already has this need to protect others, why does he need a mark to compel him to do so? Wouldn't that be redundant? Why not a mark to make him more effective in protecting others?

Okay, so it's totally not an answer at all...
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Protection Gnosis?

Postby Griffith on June 19th, 2010, 11:04 pm

I think he wants a supernatural reason for the compulsion; sometimes people might otherwise suffer moments of selfishness and flee to save themselves. That said, I've done extensive research on the same subject - no such luck. If it exists, I didn't find it.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Protection Gnosis?

Postby John Vicari on June 19th, 2010, 11:11 pm

John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Protection Gnosis?

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 19th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Yeah, Siiri, Griffith's got it right. He wants to do it, but there could be some interesting situations that could arise if he was actually compelled and forced to help people. I like the idea of poor Kammy getting manipulated, and people taking advantage of his good naturedness and willingness to help... I guess cause I'm a terrible person RP'ing a noble and chivalrous knight.

Griffith, ah, that's a shame, I looked around too and was unable to find anything like it.

John, those are cool, thanks. Kam would surely like the extra strength that comes with Ennervism, something to think about. As for Ranuri, I think I remember reading somewhere that knights are kicked out for having Nikali's mark... That might be interesting if Kam had to hide it, but on the other hand, I can't imagine innocent little Kam being compelled to be a concubine. O_o
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Character sheet

Protection Gnosis?

Postby John Vicari on June 19th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Kam reply to the pm I sent you and we can talk more as I would like to rp with you and see where things go.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Protection Gnosis?

Postby Gossamer on June 20th, 2010, 2:31 am

Knights aren't kicked out for having a mark from Nikali. Also, Rak'keli's mark compels the healer to heal anyone who's hurt - even if they are, as such, their greatest enemy or someone they just drove a sword through. Anyhow.. hope that helps.

No other gnosis compels as of yet.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Protection Gnosis?

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 20th, 2010, 2:45 am

Ok, thanks for the info Gossamer!
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight