Solo Working with Fianza

Fianza has a book, Erekez has some skills.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Working with Fianza

Postby Erekez on February 28th, 2013, 6:28 pm

29th Day of Winter, 512 AV

Almost a third of the season had passed already. Erekez had become used to life in Zeltiva, despite feeling uncomfortable in them. There was always too much going on, too many things that could happen at any time. Living in the Wildlands had been easier on his way to Zeltiva than actually living there. If you heard a noise in the Wildlands, it probably wasn't good. If you didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, you were probably fine for the minute. In a city, even if you were paying attention, everything else happening would cover up any problems. Perhaps that was why the Yshul Cult was still active. They were able to use the city's movements to their own advantage.

All of it aside, Zeltiva had proved to be an interesting place to spend the season. Erekez hadn't had any particular problems; he'd even been given a job during his first few days here, so he didn't really have any justifiable reason to complain.

His time at the Memorial Library had been quite relaxing, other than occasional tiredness and cramps from writing, but that came with the job. Besides, he was certain he had suffered worse. It was just annoying that his limbs tended to ache for a while after finishing for the day. Erekez had slowly been getting used to the feeling, and even trying different ways to stop it all together. It was met with varying successes.

Erekez had worked on more faded and damaged books than coded journals. Even then, he'd noticed that no book he had attempted to decrypt had been coded fully. Perhaps because coded journals aren't helpful if they can't be read. Or perhaps Lisaelis hid them away to prevent anything happening to them before they were ready. She knew what she was doing.

Flicking through the pages of another damaged book, Erekez returned to his table, only to find Fianza sat there, watching as he approached. Erekez inclined his head as he approached. "Nice to see you again Fianza."

"You too Erekez." She replied nonchalantly. "I have a request for you." Direct and blunt. She made it known that she was here for a reason, and not to exchange pleasantries. Erekez was not really sure how to take that. Was it arrogance, or just a desire to not beat around the bush and get straight to the point? Erekez preferred to think it was the latter. Fianza motioned towards a book on the table with a key lying on top of it. "I need you to decode this book for me, if possible."

Erekez let his eyes drift from Fianza to the book on the table. Briefly glancing back over at her as he set his own book to pick up Fianza's, he spoke, "You do realise that I'm working at the moment." This book had been coded from cover to cover, that much was obvious, but what was with the key?

"You work for the Library, and the Library is a part of the University. Technically, you're helping out a colleague with her own work." Erekez gave her a sideways glance. "Besides, I've already checked with Lisaelis. She says any text has access to you, whether it belongs to the Library, University or otherwise." Of course, that is just what Lisaelis would allow. Erekez smiled as he continued to scan the pages. There weren't any immediate patterns in the coding, that he could see, that would give away what encryption was used. Without knowing that, he couldn't make a start at an attempt, even if the code was simple enough for him. "This came with the book. I think you'll need it." Erekez looked over as she handed him the key. This is meant to help with a book? "Any ideas on the link between the two?"

"I was just trying to figure that out." Erekez responded. He knew of no codes that ever needed an object to help solve them, but the 'key' to a code was the important. Perhaps the solution to the encryption was hidden by the object? The key to any encryption is a liability if it's written out on paper. Someone got creative. Erekez didn't have time to appreciate the idea. He closed his eyes and let Lykata have a look. The key had been made with to go with the book, and there was something about the markings on it being tricky. That was all he could get from the key. Erekez tried again on the book, finding something unexpected. "This book is connected to the thieves operating in East Street." He turned to Fianza to find her holding his gaze. "You knew." She shrugged.

"I didn't ask for it to be stolen." She replied. "It came about on its own accord and I took the opportunity. Besides, as you can guess, I don't hold the original, only an encrypted copy. It sounds like some idiots get the wrong idea in their heads sometimes, thinking they're smart to try follow the instructions in some books, and that leads to bad things. So the book and the key get sent separately and come together when they get to me. It ensures you don't have incapable thieves trying to release some other-worldly creature on Zeltiva. It's just annoying the grunts who deliver the pieces don't know how it works, hence I asked for your help."

The unasked question was if he would still help her, knowing that Fianza had been involved in some shady dealings. "If it doesn't affect me, it's none of my business what you do in your own time." Erekez began examining the key, knowing that the book was useless without figuring out what use was the key.

The code had to be simple, if the thieves were sending messages within themselves. It would take too long to teach them all the most complex of skills, so maybe only a few knew more advanced skills whilst the rest learnt basic ones. Unless the idea was you go back to them to get it decrypted. Chances are they'd charge you about as much as the book was worth. Business had its place everywhere.

The markings that Lykata showed him were present down the length of the key. They were mild grooves that stretched around the diameter of it. They were numbers. Erekez grabbed this vial of ink, dabbing ink over the grooves. After reaching for a piece of paper, Erekez rolled the key over it, allowing the ink to press against it everywhere except the grooves. The result was an ink blotch on the paper with clear numbers: 69114261.

That wouldn't have been the easiest key to get from just staring at a page, but the relevance of it was in the application. He hoped the code was as simple as he initially guessed. If it were, then each individual number would correspond to the number of letters the coded letter would need to be shifted in order to get the original, looping back to the first number after using the last. A simple shift cipher, which only became complicated if you lost which number and letter you were on.

Trying it out on the first few lines resulted in a smile across his own face and Fianza leaning in to see what he was doing. It was as he had hoped. Text began to appear in sentences, rather than a clutter or letters. "There you go Fianza. Feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help you with."

Fianza got to her feet, taking the book, key and number as she did so. "Your help and offer are appreciated Erekez. I may have further jobs for you in the future." Erekez hoped it wasn't anything that put him in major risk. "By the way, how is your magical research developing?"

"Slow, but I'm making sure I understand the basics before I try anything beyond them. I've learnt about Djed, it's now coming down to learning how to apply it." She smiled slightly and nodded to him as he spoke.

"That's good to hear. Research every aspect about what you are wanting to learn. In some cases, if overgiving doesn't do the damage, the results of the discipline will. All the best Erekez."

It was reassuring to know she was checking up on his progress. It meant that she hadn't brushed the possibility of teaching Erekez familiary off just yet. He still needed to learn more, but he was at a good point now, and access to the Library was going to help massively.

After Fianza had left, Erekez sat down. It was about time he started on restoring the book he had picked up before Fianza found him. Opening up the faded book, and a new, blank book, Erekez dipped the tip of his quill into the ink and started scratching away.
Erekez
Player

Words: 157973
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Working with Fianza

Postby Echelon on May 10th, 2013, 2:45 pm

e
As Erekez gathered his belongings to depart the library, pumping his fingers in ana tempt to work out the stiffness, an assistant caught his attention delivering a parcel to him before quickly moving on to reprimand a new student for improper treatment of the volumes.

Comprising this parcel were several stacks of heavy parchment, glazed with a thin clear wax to hold in what appeared to be charcoal drawings. Concealing the picture of the top drawing was a small note scrawled on a miniature tare of vellum in a thick ink.

"Study hard." It spelled simply, signed with the elegant signature of Miss Fianza. Beneath were quite talented depictions of several familiary creatures, some common and some Erekez would never learn the name of, but all renditioned in swooping dark black charcoal with vivid contrast and piercing unnatural gleams of light skittering across them. It was in viewing these few documents, extremely rare and valuable additions to Fianza's personal library (which she will be retrieving at a later date) that the young man would fall in love with the shape of the species of alien creature he may likely some day posses if his words and studies were well placed in his future.
e

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is its own reward.
Erekez's Loot :
Erekez

Skill XP Reward
Logic +3XP
Socialization +1XP
Observation +2XP
Cryptography +3XP

Lore:
Overwhelming Pace of Zeltivan Streets
Zeltivan Economy Winter 512AV: Abundance of Jobs
Seeing The Unseeable
A Brush With Fianza
Nonjudgmental
Shift Cipher
Shape of Familiary Creatures

Items or Consequences:
None

Notes: Great start on your cryptography, I can't wait till he starts doing difficult stuff!

(Fianza was done well here, you have my blessing to continue playing her as you wish, though of course special permission is needed for her to teach or share anything truly valuable. I think you have a wonderful potential here in Zeltiva, I'm excited to see where Erekez's plots will take him. Do try to tie your plot in with some other players, though, I hate to see you off in your corner all alone. It seems so lonely.) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook