[Verified by Kraken] Erekez

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Erekez

Postby Erekez on January 17th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Erekez

If you want to survive, you need to know what to look out for.

Basic Information

Race: Human
Birthday & Age : 60th Day of Spring, 493 AV (20 years)

Languages
Fluent Common
Basic Ancient Tongue

Occupation
Cryptographer in Zeltiva: Works in Wright Memorial Library, copying out faded and damaged texts and decrypting journals and books.

Gnosis
Marked by Eyris: Level 1 Lykata -- Back of right hand, hidden underneath leather gloves

Physical Description

Erekez stands at 6'1'', weighing 200lbs. His body shows the signs of a traveller, leaving different parts of his arms, legs and torso with an adornment of scars he has acquired from exploring surroundings that should have been left alone. His most pronounced being one that runs from the base of his neck and down his spine to his waist. Though he tries to keep clean, his hair remains a mess of mid-length, dark brown hair, parted by a cow-lick that helps keep his fringe somewhat jutting outwards, and his clothes have been patched many times. Many try to keep their distance from Erekez, but the few who interact with him always remember his friendly face and eyes, with his blue right eye and his green left eye.

Character Concept

Erekez's initial impression is one who does not mind the presence of others. Whilst he is not immediately hostile to anyone, neither is he overly friendly. He is polite to everyone, but makes no effort beyond it to those he does not know too well. Over time, his attitude lightens up, sharing little things about himself. Personal information about himself or his past is held close to him though for those who have proved themselves trustworthy. Erekez finds himself unable to ignore someone who looks to be in genuine need of help, always finding satisfaction in knowing when he has been of genuine use to someone.

Anyone who actually takes the time to talk to Erekez might discover that he is a bit of a cynic, believing that most people are only out to further their own ideals and ambitions, even at the possible cost of others. All the while keeping a calm composure, as they are merely his thoughts and does not intend for them cause conflict. Whilst he admits, and is aware, that not all people are as such, Erekez prefers to make that initial assumption and be proved wrong later.

Erekez is a thinker, preferring to know all he can learn about a topic before making any major decisions regarding it. He can be prone to over-thinking in some cases, finding solutions to problems that will be unlikely to arise, but nevertheless, no-one can say he is not prepared for the worst situations. His thoughts also tend towards daydreaming, whenever he finds himself taking a rest, to amuse himself and make the time go by, living out a different existence in his head.

In battle, his personality takes a turn. It is a case of kill or be killed, there is no in-between for Erekez. Self-preservation is his number one concern and anyone who threatens that must be dealt with swiftly. He will protect anyone who has been travelling with him and happily fight alongside them, but he will only place his life at risk for those he has opened up to, knowing that they would do the same for him. He does not like leaving attackers alive, as it may lead to revenge attacks from the same individual, or a group associated with them, and that encounter might be Erekez's last. If an attempt to kill him fails, the ones involved are very lucky to survive the encounter.

Erekez also has a strong hatred for murders, slavers and any individuals that have high disregards for any person's life. In cases where he has encountered such individuals, whether they have posed a threat to him or not, he was the one responsible for the first attack.

Character History

Pre-Creation
Erekez's distrustful personality is the direct result of being too trusting in his past. He has never had problems talking to new people, but his naivety allowed him to believe that they were his friends because they did talk to him, placing his trust in them. There were many cases where Erekez had been confided in and asked for help, only to later discover he had been used because it was known he wouldn't say 'no'. In some circumstances, these uses had put his life at risk to an extent that it could be considered a betrayal by the ones who asked him for help.

Whilst some, in the less extreme cases, continued to converse Erekez, their friendly appearance towards him seemed to lessen and they grew distant from him. Others cut off all connections completely. Believing this to be the result of his 'usefulness' coming to an end, he grew cynical and distrusting whilst keeping a friendly mask on.

Later requests for help were never met with immediate acceptance. Instead, Erekez would start researching the individual and the request they had brought to him. This entailed asking questions, or just being around the corner as someone spoke. In the few cases he did accept, he never trusted the people he worked with and made it known that he would have no problems leaving if he thought his life was being placed at risk.

He knew that he had made some friends in this time, but Erekez's new methods made him grow lonely very quickly. He continued to hide this behind a friendly mask, as he did not want people showing concern for him. He believed that pity would keep people around who otherwise would expect something in return for their 'kindness'.

Erekez began to travel Mizahar, exploring its vast landscapes, staying away from cities when he was able to due to his distaste of them, but accepted there would be some instances where he would need to visit them. He learnt to write to record the places he had visited, learnt to tell stories of the things he had seen, and even cryptography to hide the information that needed to be kept secret.

Erekez enjoyed travelling for many seasons, visiting the same area at different seasons to get a new feel of the place, meeting new people and interacting with new cultures. He had never enjoyed himself more than when he was experiencing these new things.

But underneath it all, that mask still remains, hiding his loneliness and longing for a companion.

Post-Creation

Training

Skill Starting Package Experience Points Total Proficiency
Acrobatics-11Novice
Acting-22Novice
Cooking-22Novice
Copying-22Novice
Cryptography61, 1, 3 + 3 SXP14Novice
Horsemanship-11Novice
Hunting55Novice
Intimidation-2, 13Novice
Investigation-11Novice
Leadership-11Novice
Logic-33Novice
Observation-1, 3, 2, 2, 19Novice
Philosophy-3, 58Novice
Rhetoric-3, 4, 18Novice
Riding718Novice
Running-11Novice
Shortbow15 + 15 RB232Competent
Socialization-4, 1, 49Novice
Stealth-1, 12Novice
Storytelling549Novice
Subterfuge-22Novice
Unarmed Combat538Novice
Wilderness Survival-44Novice
Writing729Novice

Equipment and Possessions

Equipment
ItemAcquirement Location
Simple ShirtStarting Package
Simple PantsStarting Package
Simple UndergarmentsStarting Package
Simple CloakStarting Package
Riding Boots, LeatherZeltiva, Winter Ball 512 AV
Gloves, LeatherZeltiva, Winter Ball 512 AV
WaterskinStarting Package
Guardian of the Traveller PendantFamily Heirloom
Shortbow, CompositeOn Creation
Shortbow Arrows (20)On Creation
Punch Dagger, Cold IronFinding A Thief

Backpack
ItemAcquirement Location
CombStarting Package
BrushStarting Package
RazorStarting Package
SoapStarting Package
Food for a weekStarting Package
Eating KnifeStarting Package
Flint & SteelStarting Package
LanternStarting Package
Simple BootsStarting Package

Large Saddlebag
ItemAcquirement Location
Large Tent (4 person)Starting Package
Large TarpStarting Package
100 ft of RopeStarting Package
Flint & SteelStarting Package
2 TorchesStarting Package
BedrollStarting Package
BlanketStarting Package
Fishing Tackle & HooksStarting Package
Full Set of TackStarting Package
Shirt, SilkZeltiva, Winter Ball 512 AV

Companions
Horse (Gildling) --> Moonraker

Ledger

Summer 513 AV
TransactionAmountTotal

Spring 513 AV
TransactionAmountTotal
Punch Dagger, Cold Iron-6 gm243 gm 5 sm
2 lb Fish, Fresh-4 gm239 gm 5 sm
Spring 513 AV Wages+364 gm603 gm 5 sm
Living Expenses-135 gm468 gm

Winter 512 AV
TransactionAmountTotal
Starting Package+100 gm100 gm
Shortbow, Composite-75 gm25 gm
Shortbow Arrows (20)-1 gm24 gm
Riding Boots, Leather-2 gm22 gm
Shirt, Silk-2 gm 5 sm19 gm 5 sm
Gloves, Leather-1 gm18 gm 5 sm
Winter 512 AV Wages+276 gm294 gm 5 sm
Living Expenses-45 gm249 gm 5 sm

Lore

Lore of Archery: Drawing and Releasing an Arrow
Lore of Emotions: Able to Recognise Emotions on Peoples' Faces
Attempting Shielding
Employment by Wright Memorial Library
Fianza's Warning: Dangers of Familiary
Djed: Universal Backbone of Magic and Life
Basic Techniques of Shielding
Theoretical Shielding: Djed Extrusion
Theoretical Shielding: Properties and Purposes
Learning Magic: Taking It Slow
Trust In Nai'a
Nai'a's Job: Healer
Nai'a Was A Slave
Nai'a Is A Kelvic
A Life Lived Alone, Is No Life At All
Nai'a the Pink Dolphin
Overwhelming Pace of Zeltivan Streets
Zeltivan Economy Winter 512AV: Abundance of Jobs
Seeing The Unseeable
A Brush With Fianza
Nonjudgmental
Shift Cipher
Shape of Familiary Creatures
Unintentional Intimidation
The Charoda
Witnessing Coral Manipulation
Ariannaliese (acquaintance)
The Nir Crystal
Kissing to Charodae
Aiding a Charoda among Humans
Using Lykata for Reassurance
Recognising the Wave Guard
Using Crates as Cover
Trust Through the Bond
Accepting the Bond
Nai'a's Pregnancy
Improvising Grilled Fish Cooking With Wooden Skewers
Nai'a's Fear: Kelvic Lifespan
An Oath to the Gods
How to Recover Aquiras's Heart?
Contemplating a killing
Trying NOT to look suspicious
Avoiding the truth
Giving in to interrogation
Ricky: A Wave Guard
No way to escape

Thread List

Spring, 513 AV
DayThreadStatus
10thFinding A ThiefAbandoned
11th (Early Morning)Bit Of TroubleGraded
11th (Evening)The Water's EdgeGraded
16thA Lost NoteIn-Progress
18thHey! Oh wait, I don't know you...Abandoned
20thSpark of InterestAbandoned
70thWhen and WhereIn-Progress

Winter, 512 AV

Flashbacks
SeasonDayThreadStatus
----
Last edited by Erekez on July 8th, 2013, 2:54 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Erekez
Player

Words: 157973
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lykata

Postby Erekez on February 14th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Lykata

Marked by the Goddess Eyris. The Secrets Are Waiting.

From The Beginning :
Erekez sat in the Bharani Library, quietly mumbling to himself. Three books lay open in front of him as he took his time writing in a fourth. He had been fortunate to get the quill and ink. He’d lost his last set during an ambush in the lowlands. The ink had shattered and coated most of his belongings in his saddlebag. It had been fortunate that he had been travelling so close to Lhavit to begin with.

His original intention was to come and watch the Star Festival held here, he had even taken part in their traditions. Although he had returned the white outfit that a generous Lhavitian had lent to him, he still had the crystal mask. He was unsure if the one who lent it to him wanted it back or not. That certain individual had been in an outstandingly good mood, making sure that everyone was taking part. Erekez would take the mask back to him and ask if he wanted it returned to him.

He had sat back, watching the lanterns take to the skies, noticing how the flames danced in the night sky like the stars did. Only, to see a group all take off together and then spread out in different directions was breath-taking. Erekez had taken out his new quill and ink and had started writing his thoughts and feelings down in whatever space that wasn’t covered in ink in his travel book.

This had been the book he had carried with him since the start of his journeys. Making notes and writing descriptions, thoughts and feelings of the different towns and cities he had visited. The wildernesses he had explored and the secrets he had found. Everything he had learnt whilst he was with Moonraker had been recorded in this book. It’s why he was devastated when ink had gotten all over it.

Now, Erekez spent his time in the library, trying to save everything he had in that book, rewriting it into this new book of his, leather-bound and wrapped in cloth, to prevent another incident.

Flicking through the pages of his newer book, Erekez returned to the front page. A single quote sat in the middle of it, in a handwriting that was unbelievably neat for the age of the child who had done it. He put his quill down and lent back in his chair, thinking back to that boy.

As he had continued to write as the lanterns flew higher, grasping at the tips of buildings, a young boy had run up to him, lantern in one hand and paper in the other. The young one had noticed Erekez sitting and writing and wanted him to join in. Erekez had told him that his wish wasn’t going to come true, trying not to upset the boy, especially not after seeing the happiness behind his smile. The boy, without so much as blinking, replied “Wishes are as real as we make them to be!”

From one so young, to hear such words had made Erekez’s day. He had taken the paper and written his wish on it. The boy didn’t look at it as he took it and attached it to the lantern. He then passed on the lantern to Erekez, allowing him to release it and watch it join the others that were still being sent up. He had asked the boy to write what he had just said in the front of his new book, and he did so with no questions. Erekez felt that it held relevance to the contents of his book.

Erekez thought about what the boy had said, and the wish he had made. To be allowed to be myself, without fear of repercussions.

“That’s an unusual combination of books you’re using.” Erekez looked up at the voice that brought him back from his reverie. A beautiful young woman walked towards him. Her clothes did not match her form though, appearing more like that of his own, as a traveller. The idea that one such as stunning as the woman before him being a traveller was an unusual one to believe, but he had to accept what he saw, unless he wanted to start prying into her life, and that wasn’t his place.

Looking at her face, she seemed to be wearing an elaborately-decorated, silk headband of sorts, though she wore it to cover her eyes. That was more perplexing than her clothing. “My eyes are sensitive to the light, in case you were wanting to know.”

Erekez hadn’t realised that he had been staring. “I’m sorry for staring.” He started, bowing his head. “I appreciate you letting me know.” He felt bad about it. She had only just joined him, and he had probably already insulted her before he had said anything. Not even a greeting.

“You have two different coloured eyes.” She stated. Erekez turned to look back at her, revealing his eyes once more. He expected something to be said about his staring. “That is a very rare condition indeed, one I don’t believe I have ever had the chance to see myself.” She held a friendly smile, exuding an intellectual aura as she explained the details of Erekez’s eyes. Apparently, she wasn’t too bothered, if at all, about him wondering about the headband. Erekez smiled back at her as she turned back to the books she had spoken of when she entered.

“Why do you have a book on the Ancient Tongue alongside a book on cryptography?” She leaned in closer to the table, noticing the ink stained book. She began to extend a hand towards it, but Erekez placed his hand over it, pulling it closer in to him. The woman looked at him from behind the headband.

“Forgive me, but enough damage has come to his book already. I do not want to risk anymore.” His unspoken words were that he did not know her. That meant that he didn’t trust her either, whether she was able to be trusted or not. For all he knew, she already knew what he was doing and looked to steal the original before he was able to fully complete his work.

“Can I ask what the book is about then?” She asked. It was a possible guise but, whether they already knew of his book or not, his answer would not make any major impact if he was careful. “I have not seen this book before.”

“That’s because I wrote it myself.” Erekez started. “I’ve travelled around Mizahar for the best part of three years.” He picked up his old book. “This book holds all my notes on everything I have learnt and experienced in that time. There is not another book like it.” Erekez noticed the smile she gave him. What could she be smiling about? Have I just given her something she wanted to know? Or maybe she was just genuinely curious and meant no ill-intentions towards him at all.

“You are very protective of your knowledge. That is a very admirable trait to have.” She spoke softly. It was beginning to seem like curiosity, if nothing else. “And what have you learnt on your travels?” It still didn’t mean he was going to be careless with any of his answers.

“That the world is not as simple to understand as originally thought.” Erekez replied. He had learnt so much about other races, cultures and areas, loving everything he had experienced. It was good that there were so many different things out there. Each new thing, person or place was unique in its own way, and that is what made Erekez want to understand them. What made them different, and how did they use it to their advantage. “But I know enough to survive the dangers that are present there also.”

Erekez heard her give a short and sharp laugh. It was more of just a forced breath with a sound coming up with it. “You believe that you know enough about the world?” She spoke with a sense of disgust. “That there is nothing more for you to learn, as you have already learnt what you need?”

“I said that I know enough to survive.” Erekez snapped. Where did this woman get the feeling that she could start mixing his words and making assumptions that held no grounds? “I never claimed that I had learnt everything there is to know; neither do I believe I can in my lifetime. Only Eyris herself knows everything there is. I am willing to learn what I can in my life about anything that can help me live. That is why I took my notes; it’s why I asked deeper into other cultures, to prepare myself for what I don’t know.”

Her smile returned to her face. “That was said very well.” This one was a very different woman to anyone Erekez had ever conversed with before. It seemed she would put up fronts, just to get a reaction and, once she was satisfied, would act as though nothing had happened.

Is it the reaction she is looking for? Or is it my answers that she is analysing?

“However, you only seem to be interested in knowledge that helps you survive, to walk over others.” Once again with her assumptions? Whilst it was true that Erekez preferred knowledge that helped him survive, it was not just fighting knowledge. In fact, it was probably used least.

“I don’t walk over others. I protect myself. There is a difference. It may be that I don’t use my fighting skills, if I know someone’s true intentions before they make their move. If I need to, I just leave without them knowing. Whilst I admit it is more for self-preservation, does it not also mean that I can share what I have learnt with others?”

She was probing a lot. Seemingly more interested on what he has learnt and why he has chosen to learn it. The truth was that it distracted him from other things that clouded his thoughts, and help him prepare for unknown situations. It cost him nothing, other than his time, to learn, and that may be what saves his life later.

“How is it that you make your life sound so important above others?” She asked in a playful tone.

“It’s a gift.”

Erekez saw her smile again. “Very well.” Her attention turned back to the other two books that he had taken from the shelves of the library. “So why do you have these other two books, if your intentions are merely to recover the information you hold dear?”

“There are some things that I came across in my travels that must remain secret.” Her face soured again. Her whole attitude supported the concept that information was invaluable and that everyone had a right to know everything, if they were willing to learn it. “I’m writing parts of those individual pieces of text in Ancient Tongue and then using the same language as the key to the code as well.”

“Whilst I can see that you truly do care to learn about things you have yet to even discover and your knowledge of the Ancient Tongue does impress me, I’m afraid I do not agree with withholding information from those who wish to learn from others teachings.” She explained.

Erekez had figured as much, but that did not mean he was going to just leave all the secrets he had promised to keep in the open for everyone to read. If they truly wanted to learn, they would discover what the text read after doing research into how to decode in Ancient Tongue. No-one would know what was written, unless someone had already told them the contents of it otherwise.

“I do not wish to withhold my findings but, at the same time, I am aware of the fact that there are those whose only goal in life is personal gain, regardless of what they have to do to get it.” He held her gaze from behind her headband on this subject. “Until such a time that people show they can handle such fragile knowledge with care, I shall leave it hidden so that it can grow in its own time, without fear of what others might do to harm it.”

Some of those secrets would cost a lot of people in power a lot of money. Others would bring power and opportunities to those who were lesser off. Both were things that would make Mizahar a fairer place in parts of it, rather than any sort of social prejudice. Erekez didn’t believe for one second that none of the people who would lose out on anything were going to let such advancements continue. They would seek to destroy it, just so they could keep their power.

She nodded, smiling once more. “You speak with words of wisdom of somebody far beyond your years, traveller.” Erekez watched as she turned to leave. His eyes glazed over as he considered what she had just said. It was true.

“Let’s say that I had been forced to learn things earlier than I should have.” He spoke absently, the memories of his past naivety and exploitations flooding his thoughts. He tried to push them away; they still caused a great unhappiness within him. The woman distracted them for a moment.

“Tell me traveller, after all the things you have learnt, both pleasurable and painful, is there any of it that you wished you could have remained ignorant to?”

He pondered the question. To be able to have remained ignorant of my times as being used as nothing more than a tool? To remain ignorant of the true intentions of those who called me friend? All of it, just so that I would be able to live in a blissful existence, only at the cost of hiding behind my own ignorance. He did not need to think about it.

“For all the pain it has caused me, I would learn it all again.” Erekez answered absent-mindedly, still trying to push his thoughts away. He didn’t look at her face anymore.

“And one more, what is the relevance of ‘Wishes are as real as we make them to be’ to your book?

“Those who wish to learn have to put the effort in to do so.”

She turned back for the briefest moment as she spoke softly enough that he could just make out her words. “I like that one traveller.” She replied. “I might use that at some point.” Erekez watched her leave the library, and was on his own.

He turned back to his books, finally able to rid himself of all his past mistakes. He considered packing them up for the night and returning to his tent and Moonraker. He grabbed the Ancient Tongue and cryptography books, ready to return them to where he found them, until he noticed something. His new book was closed. How did that woman know what was written in it?

---

Erekez released his arrow, hoping to try and cripple the man at least, but the moonlight was weak and the cold didn’t do any good for his muscles. He was closer this time than he had ever been before to a moving target, but close wasn’t good enough considering the man was getting away. He clambered up onto Moonraker, keeping an eye on the figure disappearing in the distance. Moonraker neighed in disapproval of being woken up, but this was a matter of importance.

He was quickly catching up to the man, trying to cut him off before he reached anywhere he couldn’t get to on Moonraker. The man was tricky, always changing his path at a moment’s notice, mostly doubling back on himself so Erekez would have to turn Moonraker with him to continue the chase. It was proving to go nowhere. Time to do something a bit reckless and stupid.

Holding his bow tightly, Erekez lifted his feet up to the saddle. Finding his footing was difficult, especially with the constant up and down galloping of Moonraker. With any luck, this would go smoothly, and he’d put an end to this chase. That was too much to ask for.

A sudden jerk caused him to lose his footing. Erekez managed to keep himself from flying backwards, but had to throw himself forwards to do so. Feeling his body make contact with the man, he clamped his arms tight around him. As they tumbled across the hard ground, Erekez heard an almighty snap. The sound was not something he wanted to hear.

As he let go, he kicked the other man as hard as he could across the floor from the position he was in, not getting him very far, but it gave him a bit of time to pick himself up so he could make the first move. Sliding to a stop, covered in dirt and dust, Erekez tried to get his bearings and stop his head spinning, before he could confirm the sound of the snap he had heard a moment ago. His bow had been snapped clean in half. He was not happy.

Ignoring the arrows that had been scattered around the area from him fall, Erekez run over to the still disorientated man. He grabbed the back of his head and rammed it into the ground a few times, with all his weight behind each thrust. When he finally picked the man up, his face was dripping streams of blood, some running from his scalp down to his chin. Erekez wrapped the bowstring of his newly destroyed weapon around the man’s neck, pulling on the severed limb of the bow to tighten it and placing the splintered handle against the man’s stomach. As a weapon, it had no more uses, but the splintering could still cause a reasonable amount of damage to flesh, but could do nothing to damage bone.

“Where is my book?!” Erekez hissed. He had been awoken by someone talking, though he couldn’t hear what had been said. His initial thoughts, after being disturbed, were that his backpack had been opened, and his book was no longer where he had left it. The incomplete, new one had been placed to one side, and his older, unencrypted book was no longer there. Someone had known what they were looking for, and where to find it, before they had the gall to take it from him.

“If I knew where he had gone with it, I would quite happily tell you.” The thief replied. His response implied that there had been two of them to begin with, though it seemed that the other had left this one behind. Erekez guessed that it was to give him someone to chase. He growled as he realised that he had been baited into chasing the wrong person, but he still needed answers.

“Who is ‘he’ then, if you don’t know where ‘he’ is?” Erekez needed to retrieve that book before any significant start at reading it could be made. With any hope, maybe one or two secrets would be read before he got it back, but that meant he needed any and all information about who he was looking for.

“A wizard, he goes by the name Kai, uses Reimancy. Traitor just disappeared, leaving me as bait so that he could get away.” That much was obvious to Erekez already. He knew this type of person all too well. He was happy to use others to further his own desires and then ditched them the second they lost their use and became a hindrance in any way. In this case, it had been his escape. “Do me a favour, if you find the guy, kill him.”

“I don’t owe you anything.” This was a thief he was dealing with. The only time they were usually a danger is when they were in groups. They had tendencies to be cowards when they were on their own. Erekez had learnt that from the numerous groups of bandits he had run away from or killed.

“It was worth a shot.” He shrugged, reaching into his pockets as he spoke. Erekez caught the glint of the moonlight off a familiar shape. Instantly, he tightened the bowstring around the thief’s neck as he pulled on the broken bow limb. The knife managed a glancing blow to his side as he swept the thief’s feet from underneath him. Erekez heard him gasp as the splintered handle went into his stomach. With one swift punch to the head, Erekez knocked the thief unconscious. He did not take pleasure in killing, and was almost never inclined to let somebody suffer a slow death. The thief’s stomach wound was fatal, but slow. Knocking him out would make it just like he never woke up.

“So, never starts a fight, but always finishes it. Is that correct traveller?” The voice was familiar. The woman from earlier on stood not far behind him, watching. She still wore the headband over her eyes as well. I thought she said she was sensitive to the light. How sensitive is she to cover up at night? He stood up, slowly turning towards her as he did so, the fresh cut dripping blood.

“It is apparent that somebody knows of your research, and they are keen to learn what you have.” She was doing nothing more than repeating what Erekez already knew. No, not repeating, ‘clarifying’ was a better word. She was not doing anything that Erekez could justifiably get angered at. The theft of his book was his own fault, nothing to do with her. But she was pushing questions earlier on about it! Maybe she did play some part in its theft.

“I know where this Kai is.” Erekez’s eyes widened at her words. This could be a trap. He had already been wounded and was in no position to take on a Reimancer. But I need to know what I am up against before I can figure out how to get my book back. It’s no good to me trying to protect secrets if I die. Erekez did not like to consider himself a coward. He had run from fights that would’ve ended in his death before, but it was better to live to fight another day than to throw your life away when you knew the outcome.

“I also know that you don’t trust me because of my questions from earlier on in the library.” He gave her a hard look, only confirming what she had said. He didn’t trust her, and she knew it for the exact reasons. Chances are that she would’ve come prepared if she suspected that he would do anything. “One more thing, I know you’re not going to harm me unless I give you a reason to. So I’m going to make you a deal, traveller.” Erekez was listening intently. “I want to see how much you want to get your book back, so you can bind me whilst I give you the directions to the Reimancer. Use your broken bow, if you feel I’m still going to try something.”

It was a very odd deal, one that Erekez was not expecting. She had agreed to be put at the sword’s tip, just so she could see his attempt to get his book. He had a feeling she would be sorely disappointed, as he believed that he might have to retreat to prepare further. It could be too late by then, the secrets read, and Kai long gone. The only benefit was that the secrets in the book had not been labelled as such, but written as the rest of the book had. It was down to the reader what was worth knowing.

Regardless, he needed to gather what he could, before making any decisions. He might be lucky and find the Reimancer asleep, or distracted. Wizards were only more dangerous if they knew you were there. They were just as easy to kill as other people, otherwise. Crouching down, holding his side, he picked up his bow from the now-dead thief. “I agree to your deal.”

Raising his hand to his mouth and whistling, Erekez had already become use to seeing that smile of hers.

---

The problem with having a Gilding as a horse was that it made sneaking up on an enemy at night almost impossible. It almost seemed as though they stole the luminous rays of the moon, directing them all onto their bodies. It was why Erekez had named Moonraker as such. He felt the name was very fitting for her.

Moonraker had to be left concealed behind some trees and vegetation. She didn’t seem to mind though as she quite happily started nibbling everything around her. That horse had better not eat everything before we’re finished here.

The woman had been quick and accurate in her directions to Kai. A campfire could be seen close up ahead. Erekez unwrapped the bowstring from her hands; he would need it if he had to face Kai. It was his only form of weapon at the moment, other than his hands, and he didn’t feel like going up hand-to-hand with a wizard of any description. He began sneaking as close as possible, though he had no skill in sneaking, it was better than just walking in plain sight.

Erekez peered from behind his tree at the man sat in front of the fire. Kai sat with no shirt on and Erekez’s book in his hands, idly glancing through the pages. How much has he read already?! He was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he almost missed the big, dark blue triangle tattoo that the Reimancer had on his back, in between his shoulder blades.

“You need to be careful traveller.” The woman cautioned him. “He is no ordinary Reimancer.” Erekez glanced back at her, about to whisper back when he heard Kai talking from the other side of the tree.

“Is he now? So, that pathetic excuse told him about me then. It doesn’t matter; I’ll be able to deal with him. I’d thought he might come, but I didn’t think he’d catch me so soon. Who? A lady? No, I don’t know anyone like that. I’ll deal with them both in a second. Alright then. Thank you.”

Who is he talking to? Erekez looked back around and felt his heart skip a beat. Kai had created a ball of fire, hovering above his hand, as he slowly fed Erekez’s book to it. “No!” Erekez felt himself run at Kai as he shouted at him. It was a reflex and it was too late to do anything about it now. The wound on his side slowed him, as the fireball was thrown at him. He threw himself to one side, feeling the flames engulf his arm for a second. He grunted at the pain as the burning feeling spread throughout his arm.

Regaining himself, Erekez dashed Kai once more. This time, he would have to prepare a new fireball before he could throw one. He managed to land a punch in the Reimancer’s stomach, before feeling the heat of another fireball next to him. Wrapping his bowstring around the arm, he swung underneath it, pulling it to one side as he felt the ball being released. Kai growled with frustration at the hit and the interruption.

Erekez brought the handle around, hoping to get a blow with the splinters as he had done so last time, but it didn’t go as hoped. Kai pulled on the string still wrapped around his arm, throwing Erekez off balance and redirecting the handle. Combined with the balance problem, Erekez felt the splinters collide with his burnt left arm. The combination of the two amplified the pain that was now shooting through that arm, causing him to release his grip on the bow limb and handle as he reached over to nurse his wounded limb. It was an amateur mistake. This time, Kai had been preparing another fireball and threw it at Erekez from almost point-blank range. Erekez instinctively tried to block with his right arm, jumping backwards to lessen the impact. The burning came, and he flew across the ground before hitting a tree hard.

His vision started to blur from the force of the impact, but he saw Kai preparing one final attack. That was until the woman appeared behind him and traced her fingers down his arm and to his hand. Kai’s attack dissipated as she spoke. “It’s a shame really. I was wanting to read that book to see what the traveller had learnt. Now I can’t because you’ve gone and destroyed it. I don’t take too kindly to the destruction of knowledge, Favoured by Akajia. Your destruction has made a negative impact on me, preventing me from doing something I wanted to do, and by our rules, that means I’m entitled to do this.” Kai looked at the back of his hand instantly, noticing the mark that had appeared there, the scarred broken Lormar. “You will not be able to pass on any of the traveller’s secrets. Enjoy your new life.”

Kai sank into the shadows whilst she spoke, seemingly worried by what she had just done to him. She began to walk over to Erekez, who was trying to prop himself up against the tree. He spoke to her, his breath ragged, as she approached. “I got lucky this time, and it’s because of you. Thank you. I am in your debt.” She looked at him.

“Do not think of this as luck.” She reprimanded. “Luck implies that it could happen again, albeit unlikely, there is still a chance. Think of this as a lesson to learn, so that next time you do not make the same mistakes you did this time.”

Erekez could think of nothing more to do or say. Instead, he nodded, appreciating her wisdom on the events of the day and night. He couldn’t help but look past her though, at the burnt pile of ash that used to be his book of the places he had been. Erekez gritted his teeth hard. He growled as he swung his hand at the ground, instantly regretting it.

Almost three years of his life had been spent on effort being put into the book. The people he met, the places he’d seen, the events he had experienced, all gone in a few seconds by a Reimancer. He’d have to travel again if he wanted all that information back, but he had been hoping on going to Zeltiva. He had grown tired of travelling alone, Erekez wanted a companion, but people would be very difficult to trust. He had been seeking a familiar, and to do that, he had hoped to find someone in Zeltiva to teach him familiary. He had heard many things about the University on his travels.

He was pulled from his thoughts by a gentle, soft touch tracing a pattern on the back of his right hand. Erekez looked to see the woman was responsible for the feeling, concentrating on it whilst she drew.

“You have proven to care very deeply for what you have learnt yourself and to be a true protector of it.” How had she come to that conclusion? Erekez had failed to even protect one book. Or is she merely referring to the lengths I would go to protect it? He continued to listen to her soft voice as she spoke.

“You ask questions that others would rather avoid. You seek answers that others would ignore. You do it, in spite of what horrible truths you may learn about those closest to you. Yet, the way you make yourself appear before others is not what is to be expected of most people like yourself.” What does she mean by ‘people like myself’? Is she referring to the way I push others away? That’s because of my past.

“I know you Erekez,” He held his breath, eyes wide. He had not told her his name. He had not expected to know her for long enough to consider telling her it. “And I know of you. I’m not doing this out of pity, but out of interest to see what you do with it.” She stopped tracing her finger over the back of his right hand. Looking at it, Erekez saw the Glowing Lormar symbol. “Lykata.” She told him.

“You said you were in debt to me.” She reminded him. “All I ask of you is to have faith in me.” She got up slowly and turned away from Erekez, as she had done in the library, and began walking away. She spoke as she walked. “Use it to try and recover what you can from the ashes of your book. It is not so you can regain everything easily. I said I wanted to see how much you wanted to get your book back, and now I will know. Use my gift wisely, as you have your judgment of yourself and others.”

Erekez was still taking in all that had just happened. It seemed so unreal, almost impossible. Had that really been her? The one he believed in to help guide his actions? Was this symbol really what he had read about?

“Also, get your arms healed soon. I still want to read your book to see what you have learnt.”

“You’re…!” Erekez called after her.

“I am indeed.” She confirmed. “I am the Goddess Eyris.”
Erekez
Player

Words: 157973
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets