(WIP) Char Language

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

(WIP) Char Language

Postby Ariann on June 13th, 2013, 4:33 pm

READ FIRST!This is a work in progress that has yet to be approved via the help desk. I am placing this here and developing it for use with the Charodae who would like to be consistent with a singular language. I'll be making the language sound as fluid as possible so that it is realistic for a song-like tongue that could carry out of the water and make a 'siren song'-like feel to it.

Char Structure

The Char language is a fluid language, sparsely using consonants at the beginning and end, mostly reserving vowels for the center of the words. The consonants 's', 'j', 'v' and 'g' are commonly used as a vowel instead of a consonant, and as such, they are spoken without emphasis and are shorter than their consonant counterpart. An example would be the 's' in 'messa'. The pronunciation would be 'me-sa', with very little tine being spent on pronouncing the 's'.

As a rule of thumb, there will be two separate usages for the words; One being the 'Effective' term and one being the 'Literal' term. The literal term is not what will effect the end result. The Literal term only applies when used solo and without any following or predecessor words. In example, 'mesa' (Literal 'miss', Effective 'strange') could be used as "Messa" alone to denote that someone missed their target. It could also be used as "Messa Goni" (Goni: Literal 'Gone', Effective 'longing') to denote that you miss something. When used in junction with a Proper Noun, the Effective string of words becomes "At last" or "I missed you". These parses will be denoted in the third column of the table below. No parse will ever be more than three words long, due to the fact that Char sentences are short and easily sung with a single breath.

Char Words

Spoken SyllablesLiteral TermsEffective TermParse UsageParse Notes
Asi'Past' or 'Lost''Gone' and 'Disappear' (Only Used Passively) Asi Messa; "I forgot"When 'Asi' is used alone, it is used as a past term. In a parse, it is used as a past term relating to memory.
Bala'Lose''Toss' (As an Action) and 'Ball' (As a Noun)Bala Asi; "Lost ball"Bala was derived from the Common tongue's word 'Ball' and thus, used to describe such when used as a noun.
Basi'Evil' or 'Bitter''Bad' and 'Bitter' (No Tense Specified)Basi Grossa; "Bitter taste"If a Charoda calls another a 'Basi', they are calling him an Evil Spirit. This is one of few occurrences that have a single syllable that is used alone to form more than one word.
Droma'Drag''Prolong' or 'Last' (used like prolong)Iisella Droma; "Lasting Love" or Millu Droma; "Prolong Punishment" Droma is always used as the last word within a sentence. To use the word Droma in the middle of a sentence would be common when talking about something negative with a positive tone, such as saying you are prolonging the need to cut someone's head off, which would be 'Millu Droma Es'cullo Maka' (Prolong Punishment of Head Loss).
Es'Of'Always used in conjunction with another wordEs'cullo; "Of Loss"Es is used before a word such as a noun that has possession over another word in the phrase. An apostrophe follows the written form merely because Es and the following word are said in such a rapid expression that is normally sounds like a single word.
Grossa'Strange''Taste' and 'Sick' (Used Possessively)Grossa Messa; "Strange Taste" or Bala Grossa; "Toss up" (Or; "Vomit")Grossa must be used before the described noun. If describing an action, it is used after the verb and usually denotes feeling sick.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to play Ariann until my life stabilizes. Sorry in advance to whoever ends up loosing out on threads because of this :\

I am now an official Grader of Mizahar! Happy squeals for all! ^_^ I will be focusing primarily on Zeltiva, but if another region needs cleaning up, let me know! I have a TON of free-time and I always enjoy reading other's threads!

[Unrelated] "(╯ಠωಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻ I quit!"

(Signature courtesy of the awesome Shausha!)
Ariann
Fish Out Of Water.

Words: 94839
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2013, 10:13 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)