Ivaski Wiki

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Ivaski Wiki

Postby Gromhir on September 29th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Not really world development but I didn't know where else to put it. I wanted to flesh out the Ivaski wiki page a bit so.... I gave it a shot. I have taken bits from the current wiki page.

Hope you like :)

Ivaski

Physical Characteristics

Ivaski are a breed of Canine more closely related to wolves than actual dogs. An Ivaski can be recognised immediately by its pure white fur. An Ivaski generally has slightly longer legs than a wolf in proportion to its body as an Ivaski is generally larger than the more common wolves. Ivaski generally stand anywhere between 3’5” to 4’2” at the shoulder and most commonly found to stand at about 3’11”. From nose to the tip of the tail, they usually measure around 7 feet but can be within 8 inches either side of this mark. They can weigh in at anything between 135-150lbs.

Ivaski are capable of covering great distances easily because they have a long tiredless stride that while not particularly swift, is something they can maintain for long periods of time. During a chase, an Ivaski doesn't rely on its speed to catch herd animals. Instead it has a sharp eye and normally has the ability to pick out the weakest individual immediately and cleverly separate it from the protection of its herd. When hunting in packs, Ivaski are masters at ambush predation. One individual can often get a herd running in the direction it wants driving them into a trap laid by its fellows. In addition, Ivaskai have been known to hunt in partnership with their Konti masters, often substituting the women for additional pack members.

Ivaski are also good swimmers, their large paws have a small amount of webbing between each toe while the paws themselves are quite large. While not proficient enough swimmers for catching seals and fish in the water (catching sunbathing seals is something they love doing...), they can cross rivers and larger bodies of water with relative ease.

Ivaski pups, much like their wolven cousins, are born with ice blue eyes. But unlike their cousins these do not change until around 28 months into their lives when they grow into adulthood.

Life Cycle

Ivaski are very long-lived creatures, even in the wild. Generally they can live for about twenty years, but as they are normally bred and raised in captivity by the Opal Order, they can reach about twenty-five. An Ivaski is found most active up to around eighteen years by which point, age starts to take its toll on the creature.

An Ivaski Pup is born after around three months of pregnancy and weighs merely a few pounds. They are born blind and deaf and a litter usually consists of around three to four pups. A pup relies on its mother for around another three months after which it is more confident in itself and will play fight as pups do. A pup does not reach maturity until around two and a half years after birth at which point its eyes turn brown or golden yellow. There are rare cases of pups retaining their blue eyes, however this usually only in Ivaski Kelvics. Ivaski reach sexual maturity at about three years of age.

Social Structure

Ivaski are pack animals but as they are bred by the Konti, they usually see the Kennelmaster as the pack leader. Ivaski Packs differ from typical packs in that, non-dominant male and female Ivaski mating does not cause them to be cast out, though this is believed to be as more of a result of their breeding with the Opal Temple. Pups will rely on their mother for the first fews months of their life, after which they looked out for by other members of the pack as well as their Mother.

Ivaski are bred as protectors for the Konti, they recognise Konti they are assigned to much as a dog would its owner however they are utterly obedient. There are rumours that Ivaski have a supernatural ability to understand people and it is believed that some are able to communicate with their masters minds directly. This has yet to be confirmed.

Ivaski Kelvics

Occasionally a Kelvic will be born with an Ivaski base, and those individuals usually end up on Konti Isle working within the kennels of the Ivaski themselves or bonded to a Konti woman. Once such individual is Skyla Nivan, Opal Order Healer, and kennelmaster of the Opal Temple. Skyla's presence is proof positive that the Ivaski are possessing a rare intelligence, for most Kelvic have no concept of religion.
Last edited by Gromhir on October 4th, 2009, 10:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Re: Ivaski Wiki

Postby Gossamer on September 29th, 2009, 5:24 pm

First off.... *claps* Good job!

I always have stuff to add about new writeups though, so dont' mind an occasional comment or two. :)

First off, loose the centering! Writeups look really a lot neater when they are not centered. Instead use your {indent} and {/ident} for the paragraphs. The headers can stay in the middle! (You know I'm stretching here if I have to start picking on visual stuff rather than content initially!)

Okay... for size and shape... if a dog reaches 7 feet in length and averages 3"11 in height - 85-100 lbs is too light. You need to give them about 50 more lbs. Also later in the writeup you also talked about weight in kilograms. It's only good form to stick to either standard or metric and not switch between unites in a single writeup (though it does display your mastery of both forms of measurement!). I'd prefer standard, but the choice is yours - stick with one!

Also, I'd talk a little about the variations in personality between the individuals. ARe they good in crowds? Good left around children? Will they destroy your furniture and make messes in your shoes if angered? Or are they easy going and allow themselves to be jungle gyms for toddlers? How about sledding?

Okay now some sentence stuff...

Ivaski are capable of covering great distances easily, travelling long distances at moderate speeds. During the chase a Ivaski can easily catch most herd animals and their strength and stamina mean they are usually capable of outlasting what they hunt at greater speeds.

The first sentence is awkward. I'd change it to something like....

"Ivaski are capable of covering great distances easily because they have a long tiredless stride that while not particularly swift, is something they can maintain for long periods of time."

And in thinking of their size and weight, speed isn't something I'd exactly give them. So maybe a second sentence rewrite? Here's a suggestion.

"During a chase, an Ivaski doesn't rely on its speed to catch herd animals. Instead it has a sharp eye and normally has the ability to pick out the weakest individual immediately and cleverly separate it from the protection of its herd. When hunting in packs, Ivaski are masters at ambush predation. One individual can often get a herd running in the direction it wants driving them into a trap laid by its fellows. In addition, Ivaskai have been known to hunt in partnership with their Konti masters, often substituting the women for additional pack members."

Okay...

Ivaski are also good swimmers, their large paws have a small amount of webbing between each toe while the paws themselves are quite large. While not capable of catching things like seals and fish in a chase, they are able to cross rivers with relative ease.

The second sentence here is awkward. How about....."While not proficient enough swimmers for catching seals and fish in the water (catching sunbathing seals is something they love doing...), they can cross rivers and larger bodies of water with relative ease.

Finally you need to spellcheck. You have spelling errors and places where you say Pup instead of Pups or puppies. And otherwise, I love what you've done here. Feel free to add as much more material as you'd like. There's so much room for growth with this critter. And also, I believe there's a beast template available too. If you want, once you've made some spelling corrections, feel free to edit the wiki page on Ivaski and put your stuff in. Frame code won't work in there, but the rest is good to go. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on September 29th, 2009, 9:55 pm

I should probably add lore article guidelines! :) I'm going to put that on my to-do list. Basically, wiki articles are loosely wikipedia-like in style. That means they should start with a short summary with the first instance of the article's name (Ivaski in this case) in bold text. This summary should convey the big picture about the article, and should be one paragraph (2 if the article is very long). It exists so people don't have to read through the whole thing if they just want to know what something is. :)

Secondly, section headers in the wiki are made with equal signs. So,

==Physical characterics==

==Lifecycle==

If a section is a logical subset of another, then you can have subsections. You just put three equal signs instead of two. If you use sections, the wiki will make an automatic table of contents if there's at least 4 of them.

You may also want to include an "infobox", a box that appears on the right side of the article with general info. Creatures have one... you can see it in the (barely there) Yukman article.

Don't worry about all the coding, though - I can take care of this after you have a finished version to put in the wiki. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gromhir on October 4th, 2009, 11:03 am

Thanks for that you two, much appreciated. I've made most of the changes bar the bit about personalities. Should be all good now. I'll add some last finishing touches later on.

Ivaski Wiki Page
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 4th, 2009, 7:34 pm

It looks really good. The only criticism is that you didn't follow Tarot's rule about stating, with the very first line of the wiki article, what the Ivaski were. They are rare and bred on Konti true... but it doesn't say they are large white canines of extreme intelligence. :) Once you do that, I will pronounce it absolutely perfecto! I might even throw in one of those hand to lip kissing gestures :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)