Flashback New Flowers and New Faces

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

New Flowers and New Faces

Postby Eleret on June 17th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Spring 3, 501 AV
morning

The Watchtower had flared and changed from winter's blue to spring's soft green, but the weather seemed not to care about the formal change of season. It never did, but carried on at its own whim, and its whim alone. Today, it apparently pleased the sky to be clear and brilliant with Syna's light, but also breathtakingly cold, as if Morwen were not quite prepared to surrender her grip on the season. Or perhaps Tavasi yet paid his respects to his fellow deity. In any case, it was a day to be well-bundled against the frigid air -- and so Eleret was, with cloak held tight and scarf wrapped about her throat.

The Konti sat on a boulder just a few minutes' walk from the nearest of Zeltiva's buildings -- a few minutes' walk, and also around the corner of a hill. With only the wooded slopes of other hills in her view, it was very easy to forget there was anything more than just herself out here, never mind an entire city just beyond sight. Particularly as the Konti herself was distracted, her attention focused on the two kinds of flowers just coming into bloom in this little glade. One lay low to the ground, solitary three-petaled blossoms with odd soft fuzz at their centers; the other type stood a few inches above the ground, a cluster of flowers with upswept marine-blue petals and black points aimed towards the earth.

Eleret sat there with an open book balanced on her knee and a thin length of charcoal in hand, studying the flowers and drawing their shapes on the paper. Triangles, points, arcing curves; long stalks and the slender blades of leaves. She drew them large, shading in darker colors and the fine lines of fuzz; she drew them small, turning the book about to fit more into the empty spaces between earlier sketches. She drew them again and again, trying to get ones which looked right -- but above all, at least for now, she drew without actually touching the plants, never mind plucking a blossom for closer study.

She intended to take at least one of each kind of flower before she was done, to press and dry them for the journey to Mura so that her sister might have a chance to see the real things. But first, Eleret wanted only to draw them as they were, both for her sister's benefit and her own. Flowers, after all, were quite common ornamental motifs -- and the Konti of Mura might be intrigued by patterns she carved using these foreign flower shapes.
Eleret
Player

Words: 179278
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 12:33 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Jack Benefort on June 18th, 2013, 3:12 pm

The sun shone beautifully on Zeltiva as it rose high into the sky, it's presence in the cloudless blue sky seemingly in spite of the cold weather. But the cold had never been enough to stop this busy city from working. Men and women went to and fro everywhere in the city, running their many various errands. Shouts of laughter, men yelling commands to their subordinates, the loud creaking of ships as they moved in and out of port, all painted the day. Across the whole city, nothing seemed to ever stop moving. Cargo was moved from one ship to another, or from shop to ship, gold exchanged hands, stories were shared, students moved about like ants through the university. The city was alive. And just as the many adults had much to tend to, the children of this vibrant city had concerns of their own as well, namely a great game of tag that currently spanned quite a large area near the Old quarter. The children had considered it a safer area to play, as they didn't figure university students would have quite as much wrath in an accident as a dockworker. Watching them play was not unlike watching a flock of small birds hovering about in the air, moving in one fluid mass of constant unified motion, as the title of 'it' changed hands from one moment to the next. Their laughter and cries of surprise and joy were a wonderful cacophony to all who heard them, a reminder that life could be enjoyed and loved even in the harsh world of Mizahar.

A wonderful cacophony to all but one unlikely ear. A few houses down, a young boy, newly turned 11, practiced with a wooden short sword in a small training room. He stood there, bathed in the sunlight pouring through one large window into the small room. There was a rack that held several wooden weapons like the one he held now, and in the center of the room was a tall wooden post, mottled with small indentations that, together with his very calloused hands, told the story of the boys first year of sword practice. He stood there, sweating slightly, though not to heavily, as he had not been practicing for long yet that day. He wore simple clothes for training- brown pants, some simple leather sandals, and a white shirt, tied around his waist with a thin black rope. His hair was short enough that it didn't need much grooming, and was a deep hue of brown. He took a few more swings at the post, but couldn't muster the energy to continue. He wasn't tired- far from it. It simply exceeded the constitution of an 11 year old boy to hear the sounds of his peers at play and not try to join in.

He silently returned his wooden sword to its place on the weapon rack, and turned around in preparation for spying on his father. There were two doors out of the training room. One led into the main entrance room of the home, and the other led into father's study. He knew from practice that, if timed properly, he could be down the hallway and out the door in less than fifteen seconds. He also knew from practice- particularly from failure, that it was always necessary to check on father before attempting such a feat. Tiptoeing to the study entrance, Jack peeked around the corner just enough to barely get a view of father. The study was the largest room in the house- easily twice, maybe three times the size of the training room. Its walls were lined with bookshelves, covered in books that, Jack assumed, probably taught about everything. After all, there couldn't be so much to know that you would need many more books than that. Sitting in the center of this sea of books was a small desk, covered in several stacks of books, some stationery, and a candle.

Behind that desk sat an elderly man, boasting as much white hair as he boasted knowledge and wisdom. His face was wrinkled and he bore a constant furrowed brow, the product of spending his youth in books and debate, saving little time for personal pleasures. The hair on his head had begun to wither and fade away, but his unkempt, scholarly lifestyle was very evident when one gazed upon his beard, which seemed to flow endlessly from his chin, and was one of the most legendary among those who enjoyed using them as sources of levity and fellowship. But more importantly than that, especially to Jack at this moment, was the fact that he had, as was his habit in old age, fallen asleep at his desk. Seizing the opportunity, Jack made a bee-line for the door, for freedom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack had tried to play with the other children but found that almost as soon as he had arrived, they had gained duties to attend to. Some had to help their fathers move merchandise, others suddenly were called home by their mothers. It was not something Jack was unaccustomed to, though. He was separate from the rest of the children. They played and worked, he trained and studied, it was only natural that they wouldn't be inclined to play. It was still sad though. To curb his sadness, Jack began to walk around the edges of the city, looking out into the hills and forests, observing things that weren't made and run by people who could hurt him. Then he saw a woman, sitting on a rock, behind a hill he was walking around. At first he had no interest in going near her, still being in a mood that disinclined him towards interaction with others. But there was something inexplicable about her that calmed him. She seemed at peace, almost in a divine sense. And it gave him peace too. He wasn't sure what to do at that point, wanting to speak to this woman but not knowing if he should, would he simply be shooed away as many older people did to him? Like the other children did? He walked closer to her, but hesitated to move any closer than ten or so feet away.
Last edited by Jack Benefort on July 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Benefort
Forged by Fire

Words: 50701
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2013, 3:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Eleret on June 24th, 2013, 9:38 am

She didn't notice the boy's approach at first, the early spring grass soft under his feet and her attention focused on the work under her hands. She couldn't seem to quite get the angles right on the pointy flowers... and was out of space on this page, besides. Maybe all she needed was to draw them larger. Eleret turned the page in her sketchbook, the rasp of paper seeming loud in the morning quiet -- and looking away from her project for that moment, saw the boy hovering a short distance away.

"Oh!" Eleret blinked at him in surprise, momentarily dumbfounded. Recovering, she offered the boy a friendly smile. "I did not... think to meet another here." He was too far away, or perhaps the air too cold, for her gift to sample his mood. But as she considered him, the way he shyly held back, she thought he looked none too happy. And he was... perhaps... not so old as should be out alone, though the Konti was still quite lousy at gauging human ages.

Well, she was certainly not averse to company, herself. Trading the charcoal to her off-hand, Eleret beckoned the boy closer, sunlight gleaming on the pale sea-blue of her scales. "Please, do come. It is okay. I promise I do not bite." That, with a slight quirk to her smile, inviting him to share the humor -- hopefully, it would deflate his apparent wariness at least a bit. She regarded him a moment more, then angled the book in her lap slightly down so that its pages were at least partially visible in his direction. "Do you draw?" she asked, wondering if it was her activity which had caught and held his interest.
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Jack Benefort on June 25th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Jack continued to stand there, living somewhere between ease and discomfort, wanting to do something, but afraid that this grown up was just like all the rest of them. He was just about to resolve to leave when she noticed his presence. He immediately had expected a strange look, or for her to leave, but instead she smiled, and spoke with a friendly seeming voice.

"I did not... think to meet another here."

She spoke and her words, though welcome as they were at first, began to worry Jack. At the moment she spoke, he was happy just to have someone acknowledge him, but then he processed those words. She didn't think to meet another here? Was she going to leave then? Was she upset, as grown ups so often were when they didn't get their way? But then she reached out her hand and waved for him to come closer, and spoke again.

"Please, do come. It is okay. I promise I do not bite."

Jack was nearly awestruck in the moment, as excited as a little kid can be. She didn't want him to leave, nor was she upset- in fact, she seemed happy to have his company. And as she spoke, he noticed that the sunlight gleamed off of her skin like nothing he had seen before. He noticed that she indeed did not have skin on all of her arm- they couldn't be what they looked like, but Jack thought he saw scales on her. Maybe she wasn't even a normal grown up! Jack wondered if he was meeting a goddess like people did in the stories. For the first time that day, a smile broke onto his face and he began to walk forward, hopping happily across the grass to this woman, or goddess, or whatever she was. As he walked, she continued speaking,

"Do you draw?"

As she spoke this time, he saw her drawing book and charcoal, and the incredible flowers she was drawing. Excitedly, he responded, "Yes, I do ma'am." Then, he calmed slightly, recalling many moments of disappointment from not being allowed to pursue his fun in drawing. "Well, not very much though. Father says it's a waste of time, whatever that means." Then, not wanting to be too sad and push his new friend away, he spoke with a burst of childhood energy. "But I don't think it's a waste! No Ma'am! I love it, I really do!" He spoke quickly, eager to participate in whatever this woman would do with him, still convinced that she might be a goddess. As he finished speaking, her scales- or whatever they were- caught his gaze again, and he was very visibly intrigued by them.

"Pardon me ma'am," He spoke, doing his best to use the manners his father taught him, "Are you a goddess? My father used to tell me stories about them. And you aren't like anything I ever seen."
Jack Benefort
Forged by Fire

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Eleret on June 29th, 2013, 2:46 pm

The boy seemed to hesitate, then all but bounded forward, his expression and demeanor radiating a cheery eagerness that Eleret didn't need her gift to discern. When he stopped a short distance away, the scents of... kelp, she thought, and the purple hyacinths Ne'len had planted last spring drifting towards her on the air. An odd combination, but as positive as his posture.

He did draw, the boy replied, only to evoke a surprised blink from the Konti with the expression of his father's opinion. Art, a waste of time? No Muran would share that thought -- it was practically blasphemy to the Konti, who loved all forms of art. What a strange opinion to have.

She looked down at the flower sketches in her book, then indicated the pointy-tipped flower cluster with a wave of charcoal stick. "This flower, I do not have at home. I am not from Zeltiva. But my sister, she keeps a garden, and she loves flowers much. So I draw that she can see it." Then there were the simpler sketches, no more than outlines of shape, which Eleret tapped with the end of the charcoal. "These, also, I draw. They are... I will cut them into wood, to make it pretty. It is... it is my job, when I am not study. So my drawing... it is fun, and it is a gift, and it is work," she concluded.

Certainly, it wasn't a waste of time.

Then the boy became very polite, almost formal... and asked a strange question indeed. Eleret couldn't help but giggle at the mistaken classification of herself as a goddess, one scale-touched hand coming up before her lips. Her laughter was gentle and not unkind, and she brought it under control after a few moments. "I am sorry," she said to the boy, when she felt able to speak clearly. "But no, I am not a goddess." Eleret held out her left hand to him, spreading her fingers so he might examine the webbing and scales -- and, incidentally, the shimmering lily which adorned the back of that hand.

"I am Konti," she continued, giving name to her race. "We are... as much of sea as the land. So I have scales, like fish, and fins to swim with. Also I breathe water, where a human cannot," she finished, brushing her hair back and tilting her head to show the gill slits at the base of her neck.
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Jack Benefort on July 5th, 2013, 12:40 pm

The goddess-lady spoke about the flower she was drawing. She said she did not have it at home, and that she was not from Zeltiva. Jack couldn't imagine what it was like to not be from Zeltiva. He had never left it. Its beaches, its docks, its people, its hills, its boats, its water, it was all he knew. It was more than just his home- it was his whole world. And she was from elsewhere. The idea of her being a goddess grew more and more affirmed in his mind as she spoke, though he found it a bit strange that a goddess would live in a place without flowers. If he was a god, he would definitely have a garden. With lots of trees and grass and flowers. She went on to speak of her sister, who loved the flowers very much. He was excited at the imagining of a whole land of gods and goddesses now.

Then she spoke of drawing. First she called it fun. Jack was wholeheartedly in agreement. Even if father didn't particularly like it, he really did enjoy it. It was always very calming. A nice way to relax after a long day. Then, she called drawing a gift. Jack didn't receive very many gifts. Father called his sword a gift, but Jack wasn't really happy with that. He got to pick a weapon to practice with, but father said he couldn't have the sword until he was all grown up. It didn't seem fair. But then Jack thought of another time he had been given a gift by a neighbor. She gave him a sweet roll on his birthday. He had enjoyed it very, very much. But who gave the gift of drawing? He decided that it was probably the gods, maybe even this one. Lastly, she called it work. Jack did not understand what she meant by that. Work was not fun. Work was not a gift either. It was hard, and you only did it until you didn't have to anymore. So why would drawing be work? He decided to ask her about that.

She laughed when he asked if she was a goddess. He was a little embarrassed, but he didn't want to back down on it. He really felt sure that she was. After all, she had the scales and the webbed hands and she wasn't like anyone he had ever met in his whole life. She couldn't just be a normal person, could she? As though she was answering his own thoughts, she told him that she was something called a Konti, and she was half fish and half person. She let him see the webbed part of her hand closer, and showed him gills like a fish on her neck.

At the sight of the gills on her neck, everything came together in his mind and he realized that she was really, like she said, 'as much of the sea as the land.' At first, Jack was scared, and suddenly felt that she was much more alien than he had originally thought. His perception of her rapidly changed from that of a goddess to nearly thinking her to be some kind of monster. His eyes grew wide and his skin went pale. But after a few moments, he was able to calm himself. He forced himself to notice that she had not changed her demeanor. She was still treating him so nicely, and she hadn't done anything to harm him- she hadn't even touched him. If she was going to eat him or kill him, she could have done it by now. Knowing he must have looked rather frightened for a moment, and knowing that grown-ups tended to take note of things like that, he decided to try to explain, and pick up where he had intended to start asking other questions.

"I-I'm sorry that I looked a little scared there ma'am. I've never seen anything like you before, and when you said you weren't a goddess, for a second I thought you might be a monster. But I know you're not a monster. Monsters aren't nice, and you're very nice." He spoke rather quickly, hoping to get any embarrassment over with so he could move on to other topics. Taking a gulp of air, he continued. "Anyways, I was hoping you could tell me, what's a Konti? Do you live in the water like a fish? And how can drawing be work, but be fun and a gift too?"
Jack Benefort
Forged by Fire

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Eleret on July 10th, 2013, 10:20 am

The boy listened attentively, although Eleret couldn't say what he thought of her responses, or indeed how much of them he followed -- only that he was polite, well-mannered, and quite clearly interested in what she had to saw. Also that he was happy and positive... until he abruptly wasn't. She sat straighter at the bite of oniony scent his mood projected, regarding him with reserve, waiting to see how he reacted. Apparently being a goddess was favorable; being part fish wasn't.

Or perhaps even that was forgivable, as the boy went on to master his apprehension, shading through embarrassment towards a more positive state. Eleret smiled, then, soft and approving. Rather than belabor the subject, she accepted the change of topic he proffered, taking up the questions he asked.

What is a Konti was a good question indeed. Eleret shifted her seat on the boulder, settling in for a long conversation. "The very first Konti, long ago, her parents were Avalis and Laviku. That is where we get these," she remarked, tapping the scales on one arm. "Because the sea is in us. But the rest, we have Konti mothers, and other fathers. My father was a sailor from this city, from Zeltiva. My mother came here to University, like I do now."

But she rambled, and the boy had had other questions. "I do not live in the water," Eleret said, going on to the next. "But I could. The Konti live on an island in the sea, far north from here. Humans call it White Isle. The island has a lake, and a city. The city is Mura, and it is my home. It is both in the lake and not, we can be wet or dry if we like." She smiled, crooked and nostalgic, reflecting upon home. "It is very beautiful."

And the last, not about Konti at all. She had tried to explain that part before, but perhaps he hadn't understood. Or had been distracted by his sudden apprehension. Eleret tapped the pictures on the page, particularly the larger ones at center. "This drawing, I will make a gift, a present, to my sister. She likes flowers, and she likes when I draw flowers." Her finger moved to the edge, where the figures were more stylized, little more than outlines. "These are... pattern. I make things of wood, that is my job. I make things, and then I try to make them pretty. So when I go home, I will make patterns like these flowers." Eleret paused for a moment, considering if she needed to say more. "Drawing is part of my work. I draw, make everything right, and then I cut the wood. If there is mistake in drawing, I can do again and make better. If there is mistake in wood, then it is bad. Maybe I cannot fix."
Eleret
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Abstract on October 14th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Grade Awarded!

Eleret

Skills

~ Drawing - 1
~ Observation - 1
~ Rhetoric - 1
~ Storytelling - 1

Lores

~ Meeting a Boy curious about Drawing
~ How is art a waste of time?!

Other

N/A

Notes

Jack, if you ever return, just PM me and I'll post your grade! Otherwise, not much to give here! Still, it was a sweet thread :)

Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)