Rude Awakenings And Lost Memories {Open}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Rude Awakenings And Lost Memories {Open}

Postby Derik KenCade on September 24th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Derik awoke with a splitting headache.
"Son of a.." He said as he put his hand on his head. Derik opened his eyes and noticed he was laying face up near the shore.
"That was a bad idea." Derik said now realizing that the early morning sunlight made his headache worse.
"What the hell happened?" He whispered to himself as he sat upright. The first thing he hands fell upon were the daggers at his waist.
"Where am I?" He whispered at first not realizing where his hands lay. Then he looked at where his hands lay. The twisted daggers in the palms of his hands. Derik pulled one out deftly with the skill of an experienced warrior.
~What is this?~Derik thought. Then the answer came to him. ~Lakan~ Derik thought that is what they are called.
~Am I dreaming?~Derik thought. Althought with the pain coursing through his head he dismissed the notion.
Derik found a horse and some gear lying nearby him. Close enough that he assumed they must be his.
"Well things could be worse, I guess." Derik said as he gently petted the horse. The horse didn't seem scared by him so that was good.
"I don't know how? But it could be worse right?" Derik said talking to the horse. The horse just snorted and walked up and drank a bit from the water.
Derik sighed.
~Well I can't stay here all day.~ Derik said feeling restless. Derik surveyed the area and he noticed an area that looked like a docks. Derik decided to carefuly approach where the docks were. Staying out of sight down by the water. He observed the workers for a while and the people passing by quietly for most of the day not feeling safe enough to jump out and say hello quite yet. After finding some feed for his horse and getting bored Derik looked in his gear and found a flute.
~I know this~Derik though to himself. Since he wasn't sure what to do yet Derik decided to play a bit something told him that is how he liked to think over things. Derik picked up his flute and began to play and very beautiful tune. Where he learned the tune was a mystery but he knew it, something from a long time ago. Very relaxing. Then things for a moment started to seem like they were comming into view. Like a fog lifting from his mind. Enjoying this for a while Derik just let the music take him on a journey.
Here I sit...
Waiting for you...but you do not come?
Here I sit...
Waiting for you...but who are you?

DC
Derik KenCade
Ho chronos parerchetai kai eu titheso auton

Words: 6962
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:55 pm
Race: Ethaefal

Re: Rude Awakenings And Lost Memories {Open}

Postby Fia Eaven on September 28th, 2009, 6:34 am

Day 3 of Fall, 509 AV

When dawn came Fia didn't move; refused to open her eyes. She lay in the inn's crude bed letting her body sink into the straw mattress and listened to noisy birds outside her window. If she didn't open her eyes, she could concoct a world in which she still slept in her own bed beneath a thatched roof. She would rise before her grandfather in the white dawn and begin the hearth. The cold would start to splinter and break and she'd wake him. Breakfast would be shared and they'd talk until her Uncles came and the day's work began in front of the forge.
There would be the rhythm of family, the steady love that pervaded the home like light and air: assumed and unquestioned.

Fia's eyes opened. Morning was just inching out of darkness, and she was still in Syliras. The room was unfamiliar and she was alone. Snatches of a strange tongue came in through the window, breaking whatever remained of the spell.

The young woman got ready in the dim light, frugal with her candles. Her arms were sluggish and her breathing more like sighs. She stared into the washbasin, steadying herself by gripping either side.

"This too shall pass."

By the divine, she was so far away from home and had not heard a familiar word in days. She feared she would start talking to people in the streets for a taste of home.

A simple ring made with winding cords of autumnal bronze and gold was on a fine chain on her nightstand. When Fia was nervous, the object drew her. She clutched at it and tried the ring on her finger. Still too big. The sea journey had hollowed her frame. The jewelry stayed on the table.

It was one more day in her half formed life and she was still in pursuit of half formed plans. Days earlier she had stumbled off an overcrowded ship, with all her worldly possessions tucked in her pack and vague shapes in her heart that needed filling. Syliras was a good place to start, so many people passed through that the air had a perpetual tang of possibility.

She breathed deep the city's air when she stepped out the inn door. Today she was going to the docks for the rest of her things. It was a simple errand that would pull her through the morning.

Like everywhere else in Syliras, the seaside was busy and impersonal. It was no surprise that her things had been lost in the shuffle from cargo ship to land, but it frustrated her still. Wait until late morning turned into come again tomorrow. At least it gave her something to do. Clear purposes had always been a comfort, they made the immense world fathomable.

The early afternoon sun had begun to warm the ground and the stone buildings despite the crisp offshore breeze. Fia leaned against a wall, feeling the warmth radiate from the stone into her back. Near her, an Akalak played the flute.

"My Uncle plays flute too, but very poorly." Her fears were coming true, she was talking to strangers on the street.
"Or so everyone says. I always thought he sounded nice."
Fia Eaven
May She Live Like Some Green Laurel

Words: 74775
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2009, 5:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Derik KenCade on September 28th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Derik mind had been wandering as he played the flute. Still tring to figure out how he came to be the only memories he had vaguely was about water. Maybe he was a sailor, but that didn't feel right. Then he heard a Woman speak.
(Copy and pasted from above)"My Uncle plays flute too, but very poorly." Her fears were coming true, she was talking to strangers on the street.
"Or so everyone says. I always thought he sounded nice."

Derik paused for a moment caught slightly by surprise. He turned and looked at her. She was not unattractive to him. She had freckles on her face and a plesant "plain" look to her. He could tell she worked with her hands as there were scars on her arms. ~maybe she is a blacksmith~ Derik thought. Derik also was surprised that she even talked to him, albiet plesantly surprised.

"Sometimes what others call, plain and simple is beautiful as well." Derik said. He was not only referring to he uncles flute playing ability but also to what he saw in her.
"I don't remember...my family. Where I came from, Or where I am...or even how I learned to play this flute." Derik said with a faint dissonance in his voice. Why he was being so open with someone he hardly knew he wasn't sure but something about her demeanor made him feel she was safe. "All I remember is...the ocean." Derik said then he paused one last time.
"Where is this?" Derik asked as he faced her. Then he realized that he must sound odd.
"Forgive me...my name is Derik." Derik said and offered her a friendly hand. Derik was gaguing her reaction as he understood that he seemed maybe a bit off. But then again wouldn't anyone who just woke up upon the shore..somewhere.

Derik
Here I sit...
Here I sit...

DC
Derik KenCade

Postby Fia Eaven on September 30th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Fia was not expecting much of a reply, perhaps a faint thanks and polite smile. That acknowledgment passed as graciousness for city-dwellers. Instead she had was given a bric-a-brac of observations.

Still puzzled by the stranger's tale of an inexplicable arrival, Fia's expression was one of mild concern as she shook the stranger's hand.
"I'm Fia," she managed.

The woman was unsettled by another's distress. Her nature was to fix a need when she saw it, growing up in a small, isolated community had made this both feasible and necessary. An Akalak lost at sea and wandering with no recollection. It was a familiar narrative, she had hoped this fate for her fiance. It was better than imagining his bones split with coral and blooming anemone.

"This is Syliras," she explained, "Does that sound familiar? It's the most civilized city in Mizahar. Or so they say." Her smile was half hidden as she turned her face away.
"Depends what you call civilized."
Fia moved pass this with a quick laugh and tucked her hair behind her ear.
"Maybe, maybe," she began hopefully, "You were lost at sea, fell overboard and hit your head."
She was telling a story to fill in the blanks, "The carpenter's son in my village once hit head so hard he called himself Nancy Tulane for a week straight. He was a big fat fellow but he sauntered around like a cat on oil for those few days of being Nancy." A swift grin bloomed over this.
"A good thud can make you forget a lot of things."

Fia put her hands on her hips and sighed. She looked motherly, trying to decide how to fix things.
"Know anymore of your name than that? Perhaps we can post something or ask around at the boats. I've done that before looking for someone."
She still did, but loathed to admit a candle was still burning in her with nothing but irrational hope as fuel.

The idea that she was stepping into a trap might have dawned on her had she not been so overwhelmed by the prospect of helping. The explanation was too similar to those she harbored. Pragmatism had been weakened in those scenarios, so its defenses were low in this one.
Fia Eaven

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Derik KenCade on September 30th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Derik was glad Fia was at least receptive enough to take his hand. He did realize that he might seem odd even despite his genuine nature at the moment.
(copied from previous post) "This is Syliras," she explained, "Does that sound familiar? It's the most civilized city in Mizahar. Or so they say." Her smile was half hidden as she turned her face away.
"Depends what you call civilized."

"Syliras..." Derik whispered to himself. He knew that name but not sure why. "I think I've heard that name before...Syliras...I can't remember why however." Derik continued.
Fia moved pass this with a quick laugh and tucked her hair behind her ear.
"Maybe, maybe," she began hopefully, "You were lost at sea, fell overboard and hit your head."
She was telling a story to fill in the blanks, "The carpenter's son in my village once hit head so hard he called himself Nancy Tulane for a week straight. He was a big fat fellow but he sauntered around like a cat on oil for those few days of being Nancy." A swift grin bloomed over this.
"A good thud can make you forget a lot of things."

Derik nodded as he listened to Fia, actually listening to her helped this splitting headache that he had kind of calm down. Derik was wary of her a bit for the time being while he was not so much concerned about her intent. Why wasn't that a concern he wasn't sure he assumed it might be that he was a warrior or maybe a sailor and he was used to talking to people maybe. Any case he decided he would welcome Fia's help as she seemed honest and the down to earth type from what he could tell. He only hoped he wasn't mistaken.
"Are there lots of sailors on the sea around Syliras?" Derik asked not wanting to seem too rude for not talking.

Fia put her hands on her hips and sighed. She looked motherly, trying to decide how to fix things.
"Know anymore of your name than that? Perhaps we can post something or ask around at the boats. I've done that before looking for someone."
She still did, but loathed to admit a candle was still burning in her with nothing but irrational hope as fuel.

Derik stretched a little bit his back popping lightly he not only had a headache but he felt like he had been wrestling a giant. Stretching felt good.
"Well My whole name is Derik KenCade." Derik said finally not sure that a last name even meant anything. "And I remember this." Derik pulled out one of his Lakan and turned it sideways. "I believe it is called a Lakan." Derik continued. "Ever heard of one?" Derik continued not sure if that was for sure what it was called or if it was a name that lingered on his mind like a dream. After Fia had looked at the Lakan he put it away. His hands moved very skillfully with the Lakan and it seemed that Derik himself was unaware of this fact he just did it. He had a feeling that Fia may have been looking for something then again he supposed everyone was looking for something. Derik decided that since she was so helpful to him that he would help her. Provide protection since that all he could remember fighting went through his mind...maybe he was put under a powerful spell and that is why he is plagued with nightmares. The sailor bit seemed more reasonable to Derik.
"You would help me?" Derik continued. It now came to his realization how nice of a gesture this was. "I thank you deeply." Derik said to her. Derik bowed slightly to her to show his gratitude. "Do you know of a good stable?" Derik asked then he motioned to his horse who was a White colorsplash palomino. "This is Chester." Derik paused he just now remembered the horse's name. "Chester, Fia. Fia, Chester." Derik said introducing the horse.
Derik then waited for Fia's response. Derik also figure it would be best if Fia showed him where to go as while Syliras was a name he remembered he had no sense of his way around town. Civilized or otherwise.

Derik :ninja:
Here I sit...
Here I sit...

DC
Derik KenCade

Postby Fia Eaven on October 1st, 2009, 10:27 pm

Out of CharacterHey, Derik, you don't have to cut and paste my post in your replies, you can just describe your PC's reactions or interpretation of what Fia says. :)

"Kencade," Fia murmured trying to find something familiar about the name. Nothing came to mind.

When Derik withdrew the Lakan, she startled a moment, stepping back with her fingertips hovering over her heart. His naïve expression told her the gesture meant nothing. Her relieved sigh was made rosy by a smile.
"By the Divine."
She quickly swept in her composure to offer an answer.
"It's the weapon of your people, and it's nigh impossible to get an Akalak to part with one." A quick shrug, "That's all I know."
Which might have been more than most, but Fia had a knack when it came to knowing her arms and armor.

That the nearby horse belonged to Derik only muddled the story further. Had he bought it today or had he come from the land to the sea?
Being formally introduced to a horse made Fia laugh. Hers was an alto made buoyant with girlish delight. She patted the animal's neck and pet his nose fondly. City born or country bred, some creatures were still the same.
"Hello, Chester," she cooed over the animal. A few other sing-song phrases came out, that were similar to common in their sound but unrecognizable. Evidently the girl had briefly reverted to her native dialect.

After tearing herself away from doting on the horse, Fia answered Derik's earlier question.
"I've never been, but there's Windmount stables, right by the castle. The Inn recommended it for stabling and purchase."

Fia glanced between Chester and Derik. Her eyes were searching for something in the latter's countenance.
"Do you remember where Chester and your Lakan came from? Or anything else for that matter? The sort of things most people remember, family, friends, the ilk? Maybe you came lately from Riverfall."

She nodded, confirming something to herself.
"You can send a letter to whatever counsel governs there, asking if they know about you. And tomorrow I'll be here to get my things. I'll ask around the ships for you then."
Fia moved away from Chester.
"I suppose you want to get settled somewhere after stabling Chester. I'm a recent import myself, but I've found it easy enough to find what I need."
She tried to look encouraging, "There's good inns and eating here. Food and such might cure a little."
Fia Eaven

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Derik KenCade on October 4th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Derik nodded as Fia told him what she knew of the Lakan. He did remember the name Lakan but he was wondering where he got them from. His people..The Akalak..hmm..that must be the answer he thought.

A smile crossed his face as he watched Fia talk to Chester. Derik could tell Fia was either familiar with horses or liked them or even both. That made him feel even more at ease with her, something about someone who was kind to animals that told him that there was something nice about them. He hoped he wasn't going to be wrong about this assumption but so far Fia had proven to be most helpful and that was enough for him at the moment. A phrase came across his mind ~It is hard to find people who are genuinely helpful and honest working these days...some will lie, cheat and steal to aquire whatever power they seek..treasure the honest working people for they are like diamonds in the rough...~ Derik paused for a moment and looked at Fia. "Where are you from originally?" He asked genuine curiosity seemed to be a innate to him.

As to what he remembered Derik couldn't say...what was dream...what was real..the dreams...terrible. "I remember nothing." He let out a sigh. Then an idea came to him he wondered if Fia would mind if he traveled with her wherever she went until he could regain some of his memory. He found it rude to ask openly under most circumstances but this was more or less an emergency.
"I don't mean to be rude or take advantage of you're kindness...I owe you much already..I thank you." Derik bowed slightly. "Would you mind if I traveled with you for a while? Until I get some handle on my memories, I'll be happy to assist you in whatever way I can, and offer what services I can in recompense..." Derik paused where the hell did he learn to talk like this. He laughed slighty. "Sorry, but what do you think?" Derik finished. Derik gently pat Chester on the neck and ran his hand through his mane half expecting that Fia would reject his offer.

Here I sit...
Here I sit...

DC
Derik KenCade

Postby Fia Eaven on October 4th, 2009, 11:21 pm

When asked where she was from Fia gave a guilty smile.
"Even without hearing me, it's obvious I'm not from Sylira."
She brushded her hands on her outer skirt.
"I don't know where I was born, but I was raised in Denval. Very small, very hard to reach. The humans there only started learning common a generation or two ago."

Derik's bows and continued thanks were promptly met with a wave of Fia's hands and a "don't mention it" kind of sound. Might have been a word in Denvali, the sort one spoke without thinking.

His request to follow her was met with a surprised look that quickly evened to a thoughtful one. Fia tugged on a curl at the nape of her neck, her only tell as to nerves.

"Well..." she began as she quickly glanced at Derik from head to foot. With solid lapis skin, considerable height and a fighter's breadth of shoulder, he looked a force to be reckoned with should things go crooked.

"To be honest, I just got here. I'm not going anywhere for a bit if you've a mind to travel."
Fia tilted her head to the side as she mulled ideas over in her head. She was bargaining with herself.
"And we just met." This was said kindly, as if her reservations were a strange quirk unique to her and no reflection on him.

"My Papa would scold if I up and adopted a warrior man." A quick pause to explain, "That's what he calls your sort, no offense."
Fia's arms folded across her chest. Reaching a conclusion, she decisively put one hand on her hip and reached out for Chester's lead with the other.

"We'll see."
She punctuated this with a soft smile and began to pull the horse after her.

When she spoke again it was over her shoulder.
"Least I can do is show you to the Inn. And we can get some early supper."

As she led the way to the Inn, Fia went on.
"I'm looking for work here. But I'm the sort who likes to think big things over and do a little snooping before I make a choice. So I'm not sure yet where I'm going to work. Leaning towards Ironworks."
Fia Eaven

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Derik KenCade on October 5th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Derik listened to Fia with attentive nods and such. He expected her nervousness and felt rude for making her feel as such. It was not in his nature to be like that, espcecially towards women. After she started leading Chester Derik let a small grin cross his face momentarily. Fia was interesting, wise and a blacksmith that definately got him interested. Derik nodded and walked more or less beside Fia.
"You're father sounds like a wise man." Derik said.
He started thinking to himself and his thoughts led to Fia first. Not in any type of manner just observing he began to think that he might have been a scout the way he liked to observe or more likely it was because Fia was the only person he knew right now. Here was this kind, inteligent, hard working woman and yet she was very wise to. He wondered why she hadn't found a husband or at least someone she was promised to. He actually looked up to her as someone to aspire to. Then he thought of himself, for all Derik knew he could be married somewhere himself and have a bunch of kids running around. However that didn't feel right to him. Maybe there was someone once upon a time but it all seemed so distant. The memories were fuzzy. Like looking through a haze. He got the impression that in his "Past life" as he was thinking of it he was maybe not the most plesant of people. People can change right? He thought. Derik just hoped he didn't have any enemies hell bent on revenge against him. His own life he was not so worried about, especially if he did bad things maybe he deserved his fate but to get good people like Fia involved that was totally unacceptable. The whole thought was boggling and confusing. In the end Derik decided not to give it any further thought. He smiled at Fia and walked more or less right beside her.
He listened to her as well as the footsteps of the two as they walked. Fia had a determined walked but relaxed while himself it was relaxed but almost like a march of sorts.

"The Ironworks...for blacksmith work right?" Derik said going back to his curiosity.
"So you're familiar with weapons I take it?" Derik continued. "And my people made the Lakan right so my people are blacksmiths to?" Derik asked. He referred blacksmithing as not just to making horse shoes but as to weapons, armor and all that it encompassed. In his mind they were all related.

Here I sit...
Here I sit...

DC
Derik KenCade

Postby Fia Eaven on October 8th, 2009, 4:41 am

Fia fell into an easy pace. She came from a family where silence was not a thing to be feared, so she didn't fill the space between her and Derik. Despite her leisurely quiet, she resumed conversation gracefully.

"Yes, I last worked as a weaponsmith, so I'm familiar with arms and such. It's a bit hard to fashion something one has never heard of." A mirthful smile over her shoulder.
"Denval is hard to reach, though. Isolated I would say, so my knowledge has been pieces gathered from sailors and sea merchants passing through."

When asked about Akalak traditions, Fia took a deep breath. She didn't answer too quickly, taking the time to rifle through her memories. The girl's cadence varied between child-like effusion and an old man's plod. It was all tempered by patience, though; with herself, with the world and with others.

"Yes, they do have smiths. Not as many as the Isur, but enough to keep them armed and Riverfall in working order. Or so I've been told."
Fia began to wind Chester's lead through her fingers.
"Thus far, I have existed in a small world. A warm, good world," she was quick to add, "But a rather limited one. I didn't really leave Denval, so most my answers are secondhand."
She continued, sometimes glancing aside at Derik.
"The world came to me on occasion, all of it from the sea. I like the docks."
Her expression began to react to an elsewhere time, losing the focus on the present.
"It is where I have discovered many things worth having."

She transported to the moment with a flitting smile, "Let's hope you're no exception."
Eager to shift attention off herself, Fia asked Derik, "Do you remember any simple things? Like foods you liked or pastimes you favored?"
Fia Eaven

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next