Solo [The Sunset Quarters] New Beginnings

After a lifetime of giving everything to her family, Kayelin finally takes her life into her own hands.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Sunset Quarters] New Beginnings

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 14th, 2013, 7:01 pm

513 AV, 16th Day of Spring

The first thing she registered as she was waking up were her aching shoulders and neck. Sleeping on the floor did that to the body, but she'd never complained. The second thing she noticed was that her cheek was wet. When her eyes finally fluttered open, Kayelin realized why. She'd drooled profusely sometime in the night. As she sat up to stretch her cramped muscles, she wiped her mouth and cheek vigorously. Luckily the fire hadn't gone out during the night, so their apartment wasn't cold. Kayelin sat in her spot on the floor for a few long minutes, staring at the smoldering remnants inside the old hearth. It was the day after her birthday, but she didn't feel twenty. When she ran a hand through her cropped blonde hair and down over her tired eyes, she was thinking how much older she really felt at that moment.

The dying fire snapped loudly and drew her attention back to the dim apartment. It was sparsely furnished and dingy, but she and her mother made sure it was always as spotless as possible. It was home. When Kayelin glanced at the bed pushed against the far wall and didn't see the familiar lumps of her parents and youngest brother, she stood with a concerned frown. It was definitely empty. Her father was guaranteed to be crashed on the floor at some drinking buddy's house, too liquored up to make it home. But her mother and brother were always in bed until Kayelin woke them. For a sickening moment she imagined the worst, sending her heart hammering in her chest.

But thinking like that never solved anything, so she bottled down her hasty panic and went about adding some wood to the hearth. After all, the bed was made. Her mother would've been the one to do that, so there was surely a reason they had left without waking her first. Surely. With the fire now growing and eating away at fresh logs, she went to wash her face at the basin in the corner. The icy water chased away the last of her fatigue, shocking her awake as it ran down her neck. The rest of her morning routine Kayelin did much slower, hoping that would help pass the time until her mother returned.

She felt like a machine going through a monotonous checklist, only at half speed.

1. Pull shirt over head, then push arms in the sleeves.
  2. Stick feet into breeches, pull those up.
  3. Tuck shirt into waist.
  4. Slip belt on, then boots.
  5. Lace those up tight, then stare aimlessly at the fire.

Eventually she ended up sitting on the edge of her parent's bed, tapping her knees like a prisoner in a cell. How long she sat there, she wasn't sure, but eventually the gnawing fear starting swirling in her gut like a pair of wolves fighting over a rabbit. "Where the petch are they?" she grumbled to herself, mulling over several different scenarios all in quick succession. Fear was also giving way to anger, and that anger ended up driving her to her feet and to the door in a few long strides. She yanked the handle and it swung open on its well-oiled hinges. On the other side of the threshold stood her mother, cradling her brother against her bosom, hand still raised to grab for the door that had been pulled from her grasp.

They both gave a surprised start and gasped, jumping in unison and rousing Merek from sleep. The bleary smile he gave Kayelin didn't douse the fire burning in her chest, and she instantly went on the attack. "Where have you been? It's been at least a bell, and you didn't tell me where you were. I was starting to fear you'd been taken, or hurt, or worse! Why didn't you wake me? That was a stupid thing to do. And why did you take Merek with you? You could have left him with me! You know how I feel about you two being out on your own when it's barely daylight." Finally, she ran out of breath for her tirade and lapsed into an upset silence. Her mother barely batted an eye, looking as calm and serene as ever. Not a single hair was out of place, nor a crease in her old dress. Kayelin's mother was the only woman in the slum's she knew that could make poor look good.

Pleasantly plump, beautiful, and somehow always clean. Her hair was more the color of a golden wheat field while Kayelin's looked like straw. They both had the same sparkling blue eyes, but that's where most of the physical similarities ended. Her mother never seemed ruffled by anything life threw at her, be it a protective daughter or a drunken husband with gambling problems. "I was out getting your birthday present. I couldn't yesterday because your father's friend was away on business, but he returned this morning and I was promised the pick of the litter for being midwife last spring to his daughter." Like always her calm, matter-of-fact voice melted Kayelin's worries away. Her shoulders sagged noticeably with relief, until her mother's reasoning registered and set her on edge again.
Last edited by Kayelin Mannering on July 5th, 2013, 3:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kayelin Mannering
Defend those who are defenselessness.

Words: 51570
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2013, 6:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

New Beginnings (The Slums)

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 14th, 2013, 7:03 pm

"The pick of the litter?" How Kayelin didn't notice the wagging, panting pup sitting against her mother's leg, she didn't know. Probably the anger and relief after seeing she and Merek home and unharmed. She stood staring at the animal in a dumb silence, like it had just sprouted wings and started talking. Its tail beat rhythmically against the doorjam with a quiet thumping. Saliva was already pooling at its feet, dripping off the big pink baby tongue lolling out of the side of its mouth. Kayelin looked up, or really down, at her mother, since she was over a head shorter, in horrified amazement. "Is this one of Baron's pups? From that Falivan he breeds?"

Alys smiled and nodded, readjusting Merek on her hip. "Baron has been away for a while, so his daughter was taking care of the litter. He refused to sell any until he got back to oversee the transactions, which is fine because that left more time for the pups to learn some proper manners." Kayelin crouched down and held out a calloused hand to the animal, trying for a smile. "Surely he didn't just give you one? These dogs are his pride and joy. He treats every litter like its the first." The pup came forward, tail fanning the air wildly, and locked its mouth over her fist, testing and probing with tongue and teeth.

Her mother was silent for a beat, seeming to come to some kind of decision before she spoke. "No, I paid full price. And before you make any protests, yes, we could spare the money. I've been saving up for this, little by little. I know how much you've always wanted one. Even when you were little you were always spying on those dogs of Baron's." Kayelin swallowed the lump that formed in her throat, staring intensely at the big pup now crawling into her lap and vying for affection. She quickly dashed the moisture from her eyes and blinked away the burning in her face. Her mother brushed by in the doorway, touching her back as she passed. "And I told him that if he let you bring that animal back for a refund, I would come after him with that sword of yours."

Kayelin couldn't help but bark a quick laugh, imagining her gentle little mam chasing after the hardened old dog breeder with a longsword that was probably half her weight. She cupped the pup on either side of its soft face and lowered her head down, letting it lick her nose, cheeks, and eyes. Its puppy breath tickled her skin, smelling good and bad all at the same time.

Her mother was rummaging in the pantry when she quietly closed the door and went to take a seat at their small dining table, followed eagerly by the young Falivan. Merek had bravely toddler-waddled over to his cache of toys, picking out a wooden horse at random and banging it against the floor. Ever since he'd learned to walk he hated being carried until he exhausted himself. The pup climbed to its hind feet with the help of Kayelin's legs, stretching its head up to try and lick some more. Its tongue slapped the air and droplets of saliva speckled her breeches. She stroked its face and neck tentatively, still a little shocked by this sudden present that was oozing charm and drool.

"I need to talk to you, Kayelin," he mother said quietly as she turned from the panty with a bit of dried beef. Alys closed the cabinet doors and joined her daughter at the small table, passing over the jerky. Kayelin automatically ripped it into smaller pieces and started feeding them to the eager pup, watching her mom uneasily. She was using an unfamiliar tone, but it was easy to catch the note of worry and apprehension. Possibly saddness. A long silence stretched between them, broken only by the excited chewing of the Falivan and the loud beating Merek was giving his arsenal of toys.
Last edited by Kayelin Mannering on May 14th, 2013, 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kayelin Mannering

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 14th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Finally, her mother continued. "What do you want to do with your life?" It wasn't at all what she was expecting, so for a moment she couldn't answer. She looked at her mother in shocked puzzlement, who was waiting patiently, eyebrowed furrowed in - what? Worry? Anger? Where did this come from? A sharp nip from the pup's searching teeth finally made her answer, as she fed off more beef. "I'm sorry, ma. I've been trying to get some work laboring here in the slums. No one seems to want any help, though. I was going to go ask around the city today. Maybe I could even snatch an apprenticeship." She smiled hesitantly, but her mother didn't return it.

Kayelin swallowed, staring down at the pup nuzzling her now empty fingers, searching for the treat that was no longer there. "Your father and I were talking last week. About you. About your life here." A look from her mother shut her up when she tried to open her mouth and object. "No, please. Just listen, Kayelin. I know you've always wanted to leave, but put the rest of us above yourself. Even as a little girl you did that. You were always so mature, so grown up. You opted out of an education so that you could work and help me provide for the family, especially when I was pregnant with Merek, and then afterward. Your father is a good man, which you known. He just fell into a hole too deep for any us to help him out of. And he knows it, too."

Kayelin wasn't too sure where this was going, and she wasn't sure she liked it. A small part of her wanted to cover her ears like a child and start stomping her feet to block it out, but she kept listening. "We decided that it's time for you to go out on your own." There it was. She rose so quickly that her chair toppled backwards, clattering to the floor. Merek and the Falivan both gave a start, watching with oddly identical expressions of confusion and a spark of worry. "You're kicking me out of the house?" Kayelin's voice rose several octives, sounding strange and squeaky like an old hinge. Alys rolled her eyes and shook her head, motioning for her to sit back down.

"You know that's not what I'm saying. Pick up that chair before you break something." She waited until Kayelin did and was sitting, though looking a little sick to her stomach. "We want you to finally shed the weight of us," she motioned to their small apartment when she said that, "and go start your own life. You deserve better than this. You are better than this. I can take care of your father and brother just fine. It's already been decided. You remember the Mizas here and there I've made you save over the years as an emergency fund? Take that with you. It will be more than enough to get you started."

She stared at her mother for a long moment. The silence seemed to stretch on forever. Since it seemed that Kayelin wasn't going to speak yet, Alys continued. "I want you to go to Syliras and become a Knight, just like you always wanted. Remember? I know sometimes you sneak off to practice with that sword and shield. And I know that's why you do it. So go. Please. For us, and for yourself. Get out of this place. We will be happier knowing you are happier." Her mother's voice broke and she tried to hide it with a discreet cough. But just like Kayleen, her eyes always got red when tears were threatening. Kayleen could feel that her cheeks were already wet.

They watched each other for a while, Alys finally crying, reaching across the table for her daughter's hands. Her mother's fingers were like a porcelain doll's inside her own rough fists. Their eyes locked, both the same bright blue, and both bloodshot. "All right," Kayelin finally mumbled, her voice hoarse with emotion. She cleared her throat and tried again. "All right. I'll do it. I'll go to Syliras, and when I become a Knight I'll come back and take you all away." She wiped her sleeve across her face and stood, pulling her now smiling mother to her feet as well. "I promise I will. No matter how long it takes."
Kayelin Mannering

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 15th, 2013, 1:48 am

Alys reached up and cupped her daughter's face in her hands, stroking her wet cheeks with her thumbs. "I know you'll work hard. You always do. I want you to go with that little band of merchants that came to the city last week. They're leaving today, but I've already spoken with them." Her mother's lips twisted into a conspirator's smile. "After all, I knew you would agree to go. Now, you need to get some supplies. I'll make you up a list. Go get your pack from the trunk and whatever else of yours you're taking. Don't leave anything, just in case." Kayelin was spun around and nudged in the direction of their chest next to the bed, but she stopped and looked back, confusion swimming on her face.

"What's the rush? Are they leaving so early?" Her mother nodded, already writing on a small piece of paper. "They want to be gone before the evening, and you have some shopping to do. The shops will start opening up soon, and I would rather you be early to meet with the caravan rather than late. They won't wait on you, after all." Kayelin sighed quietly and went to get her things from the trunk. She didn't personally own much, which was all right. There were the clothes she was already wearing, a pair of gloves, sandals, a coat and hat, a backpack, waterskin, a bar of soap, then some flint and steel as well as her longsword and shield. She put everything in the backpack except her waterskin, both of which she slung over her shoulders. The sword and shield were leaning against the wall next to the hearth.

When Kayelin stood and turned around, her mother was poised a feet away, clutching the list to her chest, crying again. "Ma... please stop crying. We both know this crazy plan of yours isn't going to happen if you keep up with the tears. I won't be able to leave." Her own voice was gravely again, a telltale threat of possible water works. But her mother nodded and dashed away most of it with her wrist, clearing her throat loudly and handing over the paper. "This should be enough for when you have to part ways with the merchants. You know how to fish, and that pup should be able to catch something, even if its just a snake or two. You also know some edible plants. Just be smart and careful." Her voice cracked on the last word, and that's when she really broke down.

Kayelin had to lead her over to sit on the bed before she collapsed in the middle of their apartment, sobbing like a banshee. Her throat constricted and her heart felt like an chunk of iron inside her chest, but she managed to hold it together as she held her mother, letting her soak her shoulder in tears. Barely. Little Merek, not understanding why their mam was keening, started wailing. He ran over and gabbed onto Kayelin's leg, his face puckered and red as he unknowingly joined in the emotional farewell. She scooped him up with her free arm and nestled him between the two of them. Silent tears started to leak down her face again, but she kept quiet, letting her mother grieve.

The three of them sat like that for a while, until all eyes were dry and Merek subsided into post-sobbing hiccups. Alys shifted him over to her lap and rubbed his back, cradling him against her chest. She smiled at Kayelin over his shoulder, obviously embarrassed. "I'm sorry, dear. I guess that just had to come out. I feel better now, though. I'm sure Merek does too. Now it's time for you to head out." Her mother looked a little barren now, like all the emotion had dried up. Maybe she was just saving the rest of it for when Kayelin was gone. She pushed the thought away, refusing to think about her mother possibly crying like that again. But it was true, she even felt a little better herself. A good cry sometimes worked to make a person feel lighter.

The silence that followed was an awkward one. She didn't want to leap up and leave, but they'd more or less already said goodbye. The two of them knew very well that it was better her father wasn't home, and that she didn't say farewell to him. He would probably be asleep well into the day, and then be so hung over that he'd think the floor was the ceiling. So finally Kayelin rose from the bed and went to retrieve her sword and shield. The sword and its scabbard went to her side, and the shield she hung across her back, feeling a little like a turtle afterward. Alys followed her outside with Merek propped on her hip, and they stood watching each other for a few more precious minutes.
Kayelin Mannering

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 16th, 2013, 1:13 am

It was her mother who again spoke first, looking a little lost. "I love you Kayelin. Be careful. I have more faith in you than anyone I know." Kayelin looked down at her boots, wiggling the toes inside. When she finally looked back at her mother, her eyes had hardened with the resolve of leaving. "I love you too, Mam, more than anything. I promise we'll see each other again." She rested a hand on her brother's downy soft curls, kissing his smooth forehead and sending a quick prayer to any and all Gods and Goddesses that would listen to keep him safe. She hoped that the next time she saw him he wouldn't be grown. The thought made her heart constrict, knowing that she would miss a part of his childhood. Maybe even all of it.

"Hurry on now. You need to get going before the streets start bustling, it'll only slow you down." Her mother backed toward the doorway; back toward the home Kayelin was leaving. She'd never been to any other cities, and this little apartment had been her haven all of her life. A safe sanctuary away from the childhood bullies, thieves, beggars, and a world full of indifferent strangers. It was like the blankets had been pulled off during sleep, shocking her awake and exposing her to the cold. Kayelin raised a hand; a halfhearted attempt at waving good. Her mother only smiled sadly, and Merek fiddled with a lock of her long blonde hair. She was a little glad he didn't know what was going on.

When she turned and walked resolutely down the street, she heard her brother call her name, curiosity and confusion clear in his little voice. Her mother's reassuring words to him were too faint to catch, and she was glad for that as well. Kayelin made sure not to look back, because if she did she would surely run straight home to her mother's arms like a scared child. Instead, she quickened her stride, wanting to be far away from the tears and sad farewells. A piece of twine had been turned into a makeshift collar and leash for her Falivan, so it followed along more or less obediently, giving in to the guiding tug around its neck.

As the two of them rounded the street corner and out of site, she stopped and looked at her mother's list. The familiar handwriting was smeared slightly in a few spots by tears now dry, and the paper was crinkled from being clenched tightly in her fist. Not surprisingly, it was a long list. With just a cursory glance she could see a handful of useless items that were a luxury and not necessary. Kayelin was going to be traveling with merchants for more than half the trip, and anything else that might prove useful could probably be bought or traded from their wares. She scanned the items thoroughly, picking which ones she would buy beforehand.

1. Bedroll
  2. Blanket
  3. Tent
  4. Torches
  5. Rope
  6. Water additive
  7. Hunting blade
  8. Traveling soup stock
  9. Fishing kit
  10. Sandals

If she thought of something else, she'd pick it up before she met with the caravan. But those items were the only ones on the list that really seemed necessary.
Kayelin Mannering

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 22nd, 2013, 4:01 am

It took her several bells to get everything, mainly because not all the market stalls opened at the same time. One didn't even open at all. Apparently the owner had a fever, so Kayelin had to scour around for a while until she found someone who could sell her a pair of sandals that actually fit, on top of some torches that weren't poorly made. She absolutely despised shopping, mainly because it seemed every merchant in Sunberth was trying to milk your pocket dry. Arguments were easy to start and hard to settle, and even if one did win a fierce bout of haggling, chances were you still overpayed.

By the time she made her way west toward the road that would take her to Syliras, her feet were dragging and her backpack was weighted by supplies. The dragging feet had nothing to do with added baggage, though. It seemed to Kayelin the further she walked from her house, the more something inside her stretched, threatening to rip when some invisible approaching boundary was passed. The caravan was ahead, already in full packing swing. A considerably round and balding man was shouting orders to a younger group, who flitted back and forth between parsels and wagons.

There were five wagons in all, each rigged to its own powerful pair of healthy looking horses. Several of them danced in place, frothing at the bit and shaking their massive heads, as eager to be on the move as their humans. A young girl spotted Kayelin approaching and said something to the rest, stopping the large man's spew of orders. He turned and smiled, waving her foreward eagerly. "Ah, there you are! Miss Kayelin, isn't it? Your mother definitely knows how to argue a case. She wouldn't take no for an answer, having you come along. Said you would pull your weight without complaint. And by the Gods, just by looking at you I can tell you could do that without much of a sweat!"

His laugh could have put an earthquake to shame, and it sent his big belly shaking. The two of them shook hands, and his felt oddly greasy. She made a massive effort not to wipe the palm on her clothing, and instead tried to smile. It felt brittle on her lips, like an impossibly old and fragile piece of parchment that would crumble at someone's touch. "Thank you, sir. I'm grateful that you're allowing me along. I didn't wake up this morning expecting to be leaving on such short notice, but I guess it was fate." Or maybe I'm being punished in some roundabout way, she thought bitterly. "I'll be glad to lend a hand wherever I'm needed. It's the least I can do." If the merchant noticed the bleak tone of her voice, he didn't show it. Instead, he turned back to the rest of the group that was watching with obvious interest.

"Back to work with you! I want us to be on the move within the next two bells, or I'll take a switch to all of your behinds!" Quickly, they all looked away and lunged back to their tasks of loading goods. Without turning around, he spoke to Kayelin again. "If you could help the boys over there load those sacks into the lead wagon, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to make sure we aren't forgetting anything." The two of them parted in different directions, each to their own tasks. Helping the younger men pack up sacks of food and raw ingredients went rather quickly, though they were the last group to finish. Kayelin barely looked at any of them, feeling a little self conscious of the fact that she was taller than all but one. She heard a few whispers at first, and could see them staring out of the corner of the eye, but she kept quiet.
Last edited by Kayelin Mannering on June 9th, 2013, 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kayelin Mannering

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayelin Mannering on May 22nd, 2013, 4:06 am

When all the wagons were packed, it was everyone's turns to climb in. It was a bit of a free-for-all, trying to find a place to sit. The eldest sat at the front on the jockey boxes, while all others perched on piles of merchandise. Trunks, sacks, and the edges of the wagon beds. Everything was fair game. Kayelin and the pup ended up perched on the end of the last wagon in line. It was filled with barrels of something; she didn't know what, nor did she care to. A few others sat on barrel lids behind her, and they talked quietly among themselves. Kayelin silently stroked her young Falivan's back where it laid curled against her hip. The wagon bounced and rocked as it rolled slowly down the road, away from Sunberth, and into unfamiliar territory. She stared intently at the old buildings as the gap between her and her home lengthened.

The tug in her chest grew more intense with each yard the horses carted them away, until finally she felt the break. Her heart instantly constricted with an overwhelming fear that made her body stiffen. For a moment she forgot how to breath, and so she sat staring across the distance to her receding city, floundering with the fear of the unknown and the confusion on how this day could have escalated so quickly. What was so different about today that her mother had sent her away? There had been no warning that it would happen. She'd woken this morning, ready for another day trying to scrape by. Instead Kayelin was now being carried away to Syliras with the daunting hope of becoming a Squire. And the only things she had now was the equipment piled behind her on the wagon bed and the young hound salivating on her thigh.

Finally, after an agonizing struggle, she drew in a deep breath of air. Her shoulders shook from the weight of grief and apprehension of what lie ahead. She felt like she'd been stripped of all defenses and suddenly throw into a violent storm. At the moment she was regretting walking away from the house; away from her family. But she knew if she jumped off that wagon then and there and ran home, she'd disappoint her mother. The mother who'd had to make the hard decision of sending her daughter away to live a better life devoid of her loved ones. Kayelin slowly calmed her pounding heart with a few soothing breaths, though deep down she felt anything but.

It was too late to turn back now. Instead of giving in to the fear and confusion that threatened to crack her resolve, she did the opposite. She straightened her shoulders and watched as their home disappeared around a bend in the road, signaling the end of their old life like the blowing out of a candle. Their wagon pitched to the side as a wheel rolled through a rut in the road, jostling them violently. It was the fitting start to the future that lie many miles to the northwest.

ItemsAll items "purchased" and/or recieved in this solo were items already charged to Kayelin's character sheet. The same goes for her heirloom. This thread shows how she received those items in character.
Kayelin Mannering

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Twister on August 12th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Experience Award

Kayelin Mannering
Grade :
Experience: Observation 1, Socialization 3

Lores: Happy Twentieth!, Alys: Beautiful even in the Slums, Alys is a Gentle Woman, Baron's Precious Falivans, Being Pushed out of the Nest, Longing to be a Knight, Promise to Alys: Return and take the Family with You

Miscellaneous: N/A, you've got the items covered!

Comments: ... Man! I wish there was more I could award you, because I really enjoyed this thread. You're a talented writer and you explore Kayelin at an impressive depth in this thread. I loved it! Great job!
If you've any questions or concerns about your grade, drop me a PM!
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)