khopesh

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

khopesh

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 5:36 am

(This sword is an acient eygptian sword, I went on a web site and found this)
The khopesh was primarily a slashing weapon, and the curvature of the blade meant that, upon impact, a greater pressure was exerted on the target that would be delivered by a straight edge. Because it was cast rather than forged with a hammer, the blade was also thicker and heavier than a straight equivalent would have been. Normal procedure would have been for a soldier to defend himself with his shield, while using the khopesh either in wide cuts at the enemy's body, or to strike at the head as he would use a mace.

Because copper and bronze are relatively soft metals, the thick edge of a khopesh could be blunted easily, and it is therefore unlikely that a khopesh would have been used to block or parry blade-to-blade. However, the design does include features clearly intended to make the weapon more versatile in combat.

The tip is weighted and in line with the hilt and base of the blade, so it was perfectly possible to thrust or jab at an opponent's face. The non-sharpened inside of the curve, if the weapon was reversed or dual-wielded, could be used to catch an opponent's arm or weapon and deflect it. Prior to the New Kingdom's straighter-bladed variant, the weighted tip also had a rear-facing spur, which could hook the edge of an enemy's shield and pull it away, thus exposing him to attack.
Marcus Alexander
Player

Words: 1744
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human, Mixed

khopesh

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 5:37 am

Would add a picture but my I touch won't allow me to post it. So if someone would google khopesh and post one on here for me.
Marcus Alexander
Player

khopesh

Postby Siiri on July 20th, 2010, 6:37 am

Hi Marcus! I assume this is a submission for a wiki entry...?

While I applaud your desire to contribute to the site, I believe the founders only accept originally written pieces for the wiki. In this regard, I have to tell you that your entry above will not be approved and you will most likely be asked to have it taken down OR replace it with an originally written peice. The Founders are wholly against plagiarism and are adamant for submissions to be original work.

I suggest submitting one that's written by you and following the prescribed format for wiki entries.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

khopesh

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Not really I just want to know if Im aloud to use this weapon, seeing as Im not creating it?
Marcus Alexander
Player

khopesh

Postby Siiri on July 20th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Oh I see. Yes, you're allowed to use it. The skill would be "Weapon: Khopesh" of you're taking it up as a skill. You can also make it part of your Starting Package, just remember to deduct the cost of the item from your ledger.

For future reference, questions like this can be asked in the Discussions forums, or, to make it easier for you and everyone else, in chat. I'm sure some of veteran players will be able to help you even if there are no mods around. ^_-

Maybe one of the mods can move this to the appropriate sections...
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

khopesh

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Ok sorry, do I need to come up with a breif write up for it? Since most ppl don even know what it is?
Marcus Alexander
Player

khopesh

Postby Gossamer on July 20th, 2010, 4:29 pm

I think everyone knows what a Kopesh is. Its actually fairly common in games like this - I'd say as common as a Katana. If you want to work on a writeup for it, it needs to be all original work - your words not copied from Wikipedia. And it must included details on the weapon, its uses, and some of its various styles etc.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

khopesh

Postby Marcus Alexander on July 20th, 2010, 6:09 pm

okay ill work on that.....later i think.
Marcus Alexander
Player