Closed [Dawn Sister] The ghosts of the past are hard to let go

(Abase) Nightmares are difficult to manage by oneself

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

[Dawn Sister] The ghosts of the past are hard to let go

Postby Delani Denusk on July 28th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Timestamp: Midnight, Summer x, 513 OOCHolding actual date until I figure out where we are with the quest

His face was stunning in the light of Leth that night, the moon dancing upon his reddish-bronzed skin and reflecting in the inky depths of his ebony eyes. The equally dark hair that gripped his head hang around his face as she peered up at him with one hand upon his shoulder and the other tugging at his hips. His features were awash with passion and desire, contorted into the shadow of temporary lust for this golden-haired woman who he had rescued, who he loved and who he knew loved him.

He had never looked more beautiful to Delani, wise eyes so focused upon her and the shared pleasures they indulged. His roaming hands coveted her body, delicate with her mending scars, obsessed with the mark upon her left hand. To him, she was a goddess, to her he was a god, and they were, together, one.

The tide of passion continued for hours, the ground cushioning their gentle embraces and muffling the sounds of their lovemaking, further dampened by the tent around them, through which Leth himself peeked so teasingly. And once it had ended, there was little to do but hold one another, his body pressed to hers from behind, his lips kissing her neck and scarred shoulder, his hand cupping a breast or the hand that had been marked by her goddess so that his thumb could stroke the Lormar on the back. And she, she let it all, her ruined hand tucked beneath her head as she sighed in contentment, keeping contact with him as best she could.

They did not (or could not) hear the shouts in these concluding moments. They did not smell the fire as one tent went up, nor that of the blood that was quickly filling the air. They did not immediately hear the screams of horses and people alike, let alone the horrible shrieks of the one predator Delani had thusfar avoided. Not until Kyanapa threw open the flap and the world outside came rushing in. The old half-blood clutched her belly and shouted at the two of them to get up, get dressed, to run.

Delani sat up, shocked, heedless of her own nudity and peeked past the Chaktawe mix at the awful sight behind her. "Loktupar, quickly! The horses, they're our only hope!" She said, grabbing her breeches and the mended moccasins and pulling them on. She grabbed her shirt next and pulled it quickly over her head, pausing near the flap to grab her falx and yvas before following the mortally wounded Kyanapa out.

"There!" The woman pointed to the fires by the carts. The monsterous birds were half in and half out of one tent, the screams inside of it horrible. It was a nightmare few wished to experience, fewer still wished to remember, but one of the many that could happen here in the Sea of Grass. The horses were yanking at their ties on the carts on the other side of the tent being eviscerated of its humanoid contents. They screamed in terror, trying to break free.

"Loktupar, we need to release them. Get a log from the fires and try and keep the blasted things back. Kyan-" She was turning towards the older one when the spray struck her cheek, making her wince and briefly turn away before swinging her head back towards it. The elder had been grabbed, the massive birds beak over the womans head, literally chewing as the skull was crushed and its neural contents sprayed everywhere. It was gruesome and awful to witness even as her lover grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the horses that were trapped, screaming for her to go. To go now.

They reached the cart and each grabbed a mount. The one she happened to take was a handsome colorsplash stallion that was typically secured directly to the carts. He was tall and powerfully built; he would have a lethal kick if the glassbeaks got at him. Loktupar was able to free two more horses and she one more (this whose reins she kept careful hold of for him) before they had to mount up.

He released the three he'd salvaged and turned to Delani, climbing onto the horses back and waiting for her to finish with the yvas (a simple thing she could easily secure and release, something the Chaktawe had tried to get her to reproduce for some of his comrades, but to which she'd refused). Once done, the woman mounted up and kneed and kicked the stallion into a gallop, leading Loktupar out of the hellish scene.

She could hear him just behind and beside her, breathing hard as the horses flew through the grasses. She did not hear the low whoosh of the speedy bird that had spied them fleeing as it ran their backtrail like a master sprinter. "Keep close!" She shouted to Loktupar. "We need to reach the river. With no fire, we'l-" The awful gurgle of a pierced lung and the agonizing scream of something yanked. She had enough time to look back and see the bird whose lethal beak had so deftly plucked the Chaktawe from his saddle, shaking her friend, her lover, the one she could have lived with forever until he was nothing but a limp form. Heartbroken, she screamed over her shoulder at the ugly bird, but did not let up on the stallions speedy gallop away, the last vestiges of her heart left behind with a man that was to become dinner for those wretched birds....

------------------------------------------

Delani woke with a start, sitting up in the bunk with a hand pressed over her mouth as she gasped. The woman was drenched in sweat, her sheets sodden, her clothes soaked, her body clammy and her hair a mess. It was all she could do to pull on her breeches and the new tunic she had acquired (courtesy of Mathias Syka's funds) without collapsing for how hard she shook. She did not wish to wake Eleret sleeping in the opposite bunk.

Forsaking the shoes, she slipped silently out of the little chamber and climbed the stairs up to the upper deck, sucking wind in an effort to keep from waking every one below until she could reach the outside. Once her feet touched the sea-slickened surface of topside, the sobs and tears came, the woman rushing to the banister with marked hand clutching the rail and scarred one covering her mouth. One might think she was about to be sick from the way her back tightened and she leaned into her hand, as though suppressing gags instead of muffling sobs.

Delani Denusk
Player

Words: 187725
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abase on August 13th, 2013, 7:17 am

The gentle rocking of the boat was soothing, hypnotic even. It was as if Abase were held in his mother's arms once more, and he could almost hear her whispers of comfort that soothed his agitated nerves. The quest had begun, and now as the excitement of it all wore of Abase felt and anxiety, an uncertainty of what was to come. It threatened to consume him, to overwhelm his senses. It already plagued him during the night, filling his mind with images of what could be. But worst of all Abase feared that, in the end, he would not be good enough to see through whatever destiny had in store for him.

Brother, you are weary. Rest now we have much to do and to prepare. You cannot let shadows of the future affect your grasp of the present. but even Irists' words could do little to silence Abase's worries.

That is how he found himself now perched high overhead on one of the sails. Abase had watched men climb the ropes to the heights often as they worked to keep the ship on course, but he dared not try this when there were many about. He did not wish to be in the way, but now as the waves rocked the ship from side to side Abase found the height almost relaxing. He looked up at the sky, stars shining brightly, unmarred by the created lights of civilization, and their beauty was almost enough for him to forget his worries.

The night's calm was broken then by a figure running, taking refuge at the banister and leaning far over the railing. For a moment Abase thought to leave them to their peace, because they might be just as he was. Anxious and in need of calming silence. The sounds of muffled sobs, however, brought Abase's eyes back to the woman below him as her form resolved itself into something familiar.

"Delani? He said aloud, his words soft and easily carried by the wind. Grasping a rope near him he hoisted himself off of his perch, sliding down it more than a little awkwardly until the deck was only a few feet down. Releasing his hold he fell the rest of the way, landing a bit harder than he intended as he gritted his teeth against the shooting pain that ran up his thighs. Quickly overcoming this he would stand, walking to the railing and extending one hand, though he hesitated before coming close enough to touch her, "What troubles you?"

Abase
Player

Words: 39381
Joined roleplay: September 24th, 2012, 3:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Delani Denusk on August 13th, 2013, 11:39 am

The rush of the wind around her was comforting as the ship swayed in the waves, the woman standing with eyes closed and tears let to flow freely down either cheek, spots of moisture forming on the effeminate tunic. T'was only a dream, Delani; you know this. Calm yourself before you wake anyone and they see you weeping so weakly. Emotion is no crime, but to be ruled by it...you must be calm. She tried to tell herself, her grip on the railing beginning to loosen when a voice high overhead reached her ears.

Though she did jump a little at the call of her name, head turning to see its owner, the woman relaxed more when she saw the Akontak high overhead, making his way down the rigging to land hard upon the deck nearby. Her hand had lowered from her mouth now and fingers brushed the moisture from her eyes so she could reply clear-eyed to the green man.

"I am always troubled, Irist." She paused, studying his face for a moment, looking for confirmation. A man with two inside of him, it was difficult to know who you spoke to in moments of peace; they both sounded the same, afterall. "Abase. She amended before going on. "Not enough time yet has passed for such troubles to be softened by age and experience. The dreams of a time better left undisturbed still haunt me." She had no reason to lie or otherwise distort the truth. It was obvious enough in her eyes.

"What of you, though? Why are you lounging about the rigging when you should be resting like the others? We do not know what tomorrow brings."

Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abase on August 27th, 2013, 2:45 am

LAbase let his hand fall to the railing, but he still looked at Delani slightly concerned, "You still young, so past no far behind yet. But will come day when past seem like only dream... but even bad dreams can have lessons to teach. Is what mother would say to Abase if scared in night." He smiled hesitantly, not quite certain of what to say. He did not often find himself in a situation that required him to comfort another, especially not a woman. Irist often said women's emotions were their greatest downfall, yet somehow Abase felt the opposite. They felt strongly, and so if they could feel such negatives, surely the good and the happy times were truly something special.

Abase could sense she wished to talk no more on the subject, and so he looked out to the rocking waves. He pushed a hand through his hair, closing his eyes to feel the salty breeze on his face, "When high near cloud, is easy to forget what ground have to offer. See only clouds, and horizon in distance. On ground can only see next footstep, next obstacle. Is good to be up high to lift spirits from troubles of ground."

Gripping the railing with both hands now, Abase leaned over the wood to look down into the waves. He could see nothing in the light, but somehow the darkness only heightened his curiosity. Looking up at Delani he said, "Is what tomorrow brings that makes high place seem better. Can see good in future when obstacles on ground no block the path."

Raising up he turned to lean against the wood, crossing his arms over his chest and looking up at the stars, "Is wish to go high one day, to fly high above ground and people... Maybe do soon, but need new wings to fly so high." he chuckled and looked at Delani, "Maybe I bring you with me. Scary dreams and past no seem so bad from high place near star."

Abase
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Delani Denusk on September 7th, 2013, 2:40 am

Delani laughed at his expense this time, shifting so that her back was to the railing and her arms crossed beneath her breasts. "I am not so young as you believe me to be, either, Abase. Experience has a way of...aging...an individual, I've found." Her eyes grew glassy and she turned her head to peer off at the sea that swept by them. "A way of changing them in unexpected ways."

She did smile, however, at the adage his mother had taught him. "A wise woman your mother was. There are lessons in all that ones does in life, new knowledge that can be gained. The lesson learned is constrained only by the acquirerer's willingness to learn." As he answered her query, Delani chuckled once more.

"But if your eyes are forever looking one way, you will miss more." She demonstrated by removing herself from the railing and taking a few steps towards the opposite side of the ship. "You see? I am no longer in the place I was before." Her eyes lowered and as she did so, the feather of a gull was spied and she bent to sweep it off the deck and into her hands. The plume was held between them. "Life is ever changing Abase, and the obstacles it puts in our way were not meant to be ignored but embraced. That is fate, that is Lhex's design." She blew the feather from her fingertips then, smiling as it caught on the wind and was carried away to the unknown. "And so it passes to another, whose fate may be entwined upon its stem and perhaps lead them to greater things yet."

When Abase suggested taking her with him to fly and see the world from a different perspective, Delani raised her brows in curiosity. "That would be quite the experience, dear Akontak, but I would rather my feet remain on the ground. There are other ways to fly, besides, than by wing." She grinned. "A horse at full gallop may fly across the plains with their rider upon their back; ones dreams will let them fly in their own right. You see?" The woman tapped the side of her nose. "Perspective is everything."

The nightmare was already being forgotten now, its infrequent occurrence making living far easier as time went on. She hated remembering the awful sight of the caravan being slaughtered like that, the sounds of the screams and the wet crunch of bodies being eviscerated let alone the smell of the blood that had filled the air. It sickened the Drykas. But as the dream retreated from her consciousness, Delani could not help smiling at the emerald man. He had distracted her from it long enough that it could retreat without dwelling long, even if his Common was absolutely dreadful. It didn't even occur to her that she was staring at him with that quiet curiosity she sometimes had when something truly intrigued her.

Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abase on September 7th, 2013, 3:19 am

Abase nodded slowly, "What see and what do shape who we are... but still choice in heart that say how much it change us. Is what I believe, at least." Absently he thought of his mother then, a truly kind and caring woman with wisdom beyond her years, for she was still not quit that old in terms of konti. She always seemed to have an answer for everything, at least to everything that Abase brought to her. A pang of longing split his heart as he thought of her. It had been some time since he had returned to the Isle of Mura. He wondered how his mother was doing now, and if she missed him.

Shaking his head he turned his attention back to Delani, watching her move as she talked. Not for the first time he noticed how she seemed to talk with her whole body, moving in expression as if to emphasize each and every word. It was a very curious thing, Abase thought, to talk with your entire body and not just your words. On some level it made communicating with her easier, for he could rely on more than just his rough understanding of the common tongue to converse with the Drykas woman.

She is a believer in Fate and destiny. Never would have guessed. Irist observed mildly.

Why is that brother? It is not uncommon for people to put their lives in Lhex's hands, especially if they cannot see what is coming in the future.

Abase could feel his dark brother shrug in his subconscious, She just never seemed to type to resign herself to Fate, and I don't think she really does. I doubt she would let her life be pulled on strings from a higher power. Not willingly at least.

Abase's eyes followed the feather as it was carried by the breeze, thinking upon Irists' words and pondering his own musings as well. He looked at Delani and smiled in amusement, "Have you every fly? Felt wind beneath wings and watch world pass by beneath?" He chuckled and stood, stretching his arms over his head before lacing his fingers behind his neck. He looked up at the stars once more, "I felt beating hooves on ground, of racing on strong legs that carry me faster than these I wear now. I felt what like to dive deep in ocean and swim like fish, and leap from top of waves. Still, when wings fill with air and I soar high above... Is no like anything else. I feel free like no before. I see world from above, and gain new perspective." He smiled knowingly at Delani, "I no hide from problem when I find high place, or when fly near star. I fly to see more than I see on ground. On ground I see only path before me. Up high, I see twists and bends that will have take."

Closing his eyes he breathed deeply of the salt air, Is good to dream of flying, but to truly fly is much much better."

Abase
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Delani Denusk on September 7th, 2013, 4:22 am

Delani marveled at the man before her standing so serenely with his hands behind his head and his eyes closed, speaking of his wish to fly. His perception seemed limited; but then, so was hers in some ways, the recent changes in Endrykas the foremost example of this. She couldn't help but compare him to Loktupar. The Chaktawe had been wise and full of insight. He had taught her a fine piece before fate led them on a different course. As much as she believed in Eyris and the gift bestowed to her had saved her, Delani knew it was more likely fate that had whisked her out of Dira's grip and into that caravan, and now to here and this strange quest to an alien land.

"I would not object to the experience of flight, but again, I prefer my feet remain on the ground. I am not a bird, I am human." Besides, flying had bad associations with the people of the horse. She was surprised he did not share that sense of resistance to flight given the loathing both Akalak and Drykas had for Zith and the savagery of those furred devils.

"Besides, if I flew above it all, think of all that I would miss while seeing the greater scene. No, I have a vested interest here foremost. It is where Eyris wishes me to be, Abase."

*There was supposed to be more...but somewhere I lost my train of thought. It derailed when I saw a funny picture about labradors

Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes