Question!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Question!

Postby Tayhura on July 20th, 2010, 6:47 am

In reading the wiki on the Eypharian race, I noticed this:
Also integrated into the Eypharian psyche is the pursuit of excellence. Once an Eypharian has made peace with her position she will strive to surpass her own expectations.

(my underline)
Eypharians live by rigid standards of rank and class. However, the lowliness of one's parentage can be conquered through skill or beauty.

(my underline)
Non-Eypharian inhabitants have risen in the city's rank either by sheer skill or a thorough embrace of Eypharian lifestyle.

(my underline)

Considering that the Eypharians seem so obsessed with excellence/skill, I'm assuming that they would pray for it from a god or goddess...am I mistaken? Would there be no god as a patron of excellence? Both the Greeks and the Romans had an obsession with achieving excellence and they both had a goddess for it: Arete and Virtus, respectively.
Tayhura
Gardener

Words: 10379
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2010, 7:04 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Question!

Postby Tressa on July 20th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Due to the fact that they hold themselves in such high regard, I believe that they refrain from giving thanks to any deity, instead praising themselves for their success? I may be wrong.
"And we danced to the sound of a dying race, around and around beneath a burning sky"
Tressa
The devil's Temptress

Words: 71503
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Question!

Postby Stitch on July 20th, 2010, 10:27 pm

In regards to the gods, Eypharians are opportunists with a respect for past favors. They worship the gods they perceive as the most powerful or useful in their lives, with a tendency to honor traditional gods out of habit.

The Eypharians are not an especially devout people, on the whole. They enjoy the pomp and power of religion, and use faith like a talisman. However, there is little in the way of true devotion of heart and mind.

Dira, Syna and Makutsi are the traditional gods, a default for Eypharians who are not particularly swayed one way or another.

That is a quote from the wiki. The founder who made them might be best suited to answer this question, but I can give it a stab. If the particular Eypharian believes one of the gods can give them power, or skill, or beauty; just whichever God is the most useful to them... They would probably worship it for that reason.

So, no singular patron... Just whichever one the Eypharian perceives as being powerful, or useful. They aren't steady girlfriends, they are friends with benefits! <333

Okay, maybe a bad example, but still.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Question!

Postby Tayhura on July 20th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Nope! It's a good example! I think I get it now...they worship the particular god for the particular thing they want to excel in at the time for as long as is needed to benefit themselves??
Tayhura
Gardener

Words: 10379
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2010, 7:04 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Question!

Postby Stitch on July 23rd, 2010, 7:30 pm

In a way. They worship for the benefits that may come from that God, not out of love and devotion for said God. Are you familiar with Christianity? This race would worship God just to get into heaven, or be esteemed within a church community. Not out of love for the Christian God.

What can the God do for them, not what can they do for the God.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)