Flashback Not as Easy as it Looks!

Lyrri decides to take up hunting~ (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Not as Easy as it Looks!

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on July 23rd, 2013, 6:21 pm

60th of Spring, 508 AV

The Frostfawn hold has always brimmed with excellent hunters. In addition to being the animal-lovers of Avanthal, the majority of them are highly skilled with a shortbow, as well as the most educated in the dangers of the Northern Reaches- and if Lyrri was to someday leave the security of Avanthal, shouldn't she learn to take care of herself?

That's what brought her to Keriay's door, and she was more than a little surprised at her welcoming grin and quick acceptance. "Of course I don't mind taking you along for the hunt," she had conceded indulgently. "You'll have to learn sometime, eh?"

As she rode past the Icewall Gates, the girl couldn't help but reconsider. Already her legs began to chafe against the borrowed Talderan steed; her eyes were pulled again and again to the ground, where she gave wary stares and tightened her grip on the reins. The horse whinnied, an irritated whine. The bard hadn't ridden many horses while locked away in the Snowsong Hold... She leaned forward with a grunt of discontent. The horse gave a derisive snort, clearly of the same temperament. Along with a small satchel of dried food and a cantine, a crossbow hung at the beast's flank- another loan, this one from her father.

Five hunters accompanied Lyrri and Keriay; two on each side, and one taking the rear. Keriay looked back as she led on, smiled at the fumbling girl. She was strong and outspoken, a tomboy if there ever was one. The Snowsong returned the smile sheepishly. This Frostfawn troupe was friendly enough. She supposed it was kind of them to take her along, someone so inexperienced; Lyrri couldn't help but look forward to the day, even with her clumsy complaints!
Last edited by Lyrri Snowsong on October 8th, 2013, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a message if you'd like to thread together sometime! School's coming back, along with some nasty projects due, but I'll do my best to keep up, alright?
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Words: 46750
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2013, 7:05 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Not as Easy as it Looks!

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on October 7th, 2013, 12:56 am

It had been just over an hour of riding when they finally stopped to rest; Lyrri hadn't said anything, but she was sure Keriay- and likely all the others- knew how her legs burned and her back ached. She sat with her legs stretched before her, nibbling at dried food as she fiddled with the strange contraption her father had lent her.

And it was very strange at that. It was a compound, as the elder Snowsong had told her; she only had a slight idea of what that meant. If she pulled it back to a certain point, it was supposed to stay there until it was ready to fire... as far as she knew. Then a bolt- still stored at the horse's flank- would go in the supposed slot, and Lyrri would aim... somehow... and then, snap! It would go flying!

Hopefully.

Well, now was a good time to test it out, eh? With an anticipating smile, the girl tossed her dried scraps of food back in her bag and felt at the tight, thick string. Then, just short of cautious, she began to pull.

It didn't move at all...

She gave it an irately questioning look, then pulled again, this time adding in some effort. It budged a bit, perhaps, but it was hard to see. It didn't feel like it had given. She pulled harder... Then a little harder... Before she knew it, she was loading all of her energy into the hand that pulled this forsaken string, fingers turning red, the same shade wafting through her eyes with agitated potency.

She stopped and grimaced- crossed her arms with a loud humph. Then, heard a comfortable chuckle only a few feet away. She looked up to see Keriay there, a friendly, crooked smile on her face as she watched the Snowswong struggle. Lyrri's mouth wiggled, her pout more firmly set as she whipped her head back around to the bow. Another small humph and she was ready to tackle this mocking little machine. If you're going to be difficult, then so will I!

She gripped the string with both hands and held it in front of her, placing her feet on either side of the bolt's little indented slot. Then, with a look that seemed to dare the crossbow to defy her again, she stretched back with a contorted frown and an angry grunt. Pull... Pull...

Got it!

She grinned as she heard the click of the contraption setting itself, sitting at a neat angle, looking eager to return to its usual place with a speedy snap. She grinned proudly. Keriay laughed off to the side; she moved to stick her tongue out, as she would do with anyone in the Snowsong hold, then stopped herself and sighed happily. Oh, well. She was still pleased.

Now, the only problem would be resetting this thing after she had fired once...

Bah. Details.

Merrily she tromped over to her horse, setting the crossbow in it's original place. She likewise picked up her bag, then looked up cheerfully at the rest of the hunting party. The five she had only just met were watching her strangely, some confused, some questioning, some laughing, and some caught in between all three. Lyrri could still hear Keriay chuckling under her breath. She gave a small laugh as well, then set a foot in the saddle and threw her bag up; her eyes were lit with an excited, jovial green. "Everyone ready?"
Send me a message if you'd like to thread together sometime! School's coming back, along with some nasty projects due, but I'll do my best to keep up, alright?
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Words: 46750
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2013, 7:05 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets