Closed A Peculiar Connection (Cryktos Ellios)

Cryktos meets an Akvatari...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Peculiar Connection (Cryktos Ellios)

Postby Vernadel on October 9th, 2013, 8:44 pm

23, Fall, 513 AV

A haunting tune wafted through the chilly morning air as Vernadel piped away on her clay flute. She was perched on the stairs of the Wright Memorial Library, her tail tumbling down a few steps and her tortoiseshell sack draped haphazardly over some more on her right side. Fingers resembling wiggling worms, she played her slow paced melody to the early city goers of Zeltiva.

Not that anyone paid much attention to her, busy as they all were. Those that happened to glance in her direction gave her odd looks, but by now, she was used to people thinking she was some kind of strange creature that better belonged in a carnival. The crude name of butterseal had seeped out of the University grounds and was now a standing joke amongst many in the port city. Vern longed for the day that another Akvatari would find his or her way to Zeltiva so she could share the cruel sting of the name with them. The more dismayed she grew, the more violent her song became, the notes sharp and menacing as she blew into her instrument.

Banishing her dark thoughts, Vernadel replaced the blackness in her mind with an image of Niall, as she nearly always did to try and cheer herself up. The gallant Isur who made her fear nothing when she was in his presence was also so vulnerable sometimes that it made her heart yearn to take away whatever pain he had and bring it unto herself. She loved the way his hair swept into his eyes on windy days, and how his new clothes fit him so perfectly that they showed off every defined muscle in his body. If only she were human…or Isur herself…she would be able to profess her love for him.

Sighing dreamily, Vern’s eyes glazed over, her fingers automatically finding the correct holes in her flute to plug and release. The tune had now turned to a lazy, whimsical song that vibrated around the exterior of the library with wild abandon. Until now, she had never realized how much her melodies changed with her moods. Imagining Niall’s handsome face and broad shoulders, she let herself play her feelings, the small clay instrument filling with soft melancholic sounds. She was so lost in her reverie that she never heard the other soul who approached.
Vernadel
Fluttering, Floating, Fashioning

Words: 39940
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:33 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Cryktos Ellios on October 10th, 2013, 9:06 pm

He walked, his head buried in his book, Cryktos opened the large library doors, not paying attention, and he stopped at the top, a somber melody reaching his ears. He was transfixed, both by the song and his book, as he lifted his weary, bloodshot eyes and searched the large stairway. He noticed the single Akvatari woman, playing a flute, and he simply continued with his book. Word around the library was that her nickname was butterseal, and yet, he refused to see her as that.

He began the slow, grueling descent down the large, stone stairs, when suddenly, he tripped. "Oh, Hell!" He yelled in Nader Canoch, falling, tumbling down the stairs, books, pens, and papers clattering out of his large satchel. He felt a scrape on his elbow, and a small fracture in his hand from when he landed. He tried to pick himself up, but could not, as his frail body has broken under the stress of the fall. He called for help, repeatedly, but the other library-goes went on their way, afraid of the one titled, "The Mage of Blackfire."

He managed to get to his knees, reaching out and placing his books in his satchel, putting everything that was in his reach back in, but then sat on his knees, crying, as no one would help a simple magician. They assumed he was crazy. They thought he was unstable. And yet, his contribution to the study of Reimancy has far surpassed most mages of his age. He managed to get to his feet, but only for a few moments, before his legs gave way again, and he collapsed, tear stinging his eyes. He lay on the ground, hoping someone with a kind heart would help him, for his curse was one too hard to bear alone.
Languages:
Fluent:Common Basic:Nader Canoch Poor:Shiber

Cryktos Ellios
The Mage of Blackfire

Words: 12720
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vernadel on October 11th, 2013, 11:14 am

A shrill, hair-raising note spluttered through the flute as Vernadel was surprised by the sudden movement behind her. A man had just fallen down the stairs, his possessions scattering out of his sack. He tried to get up, but he collapsed again and the Akvatari's heart went out to him as he called for help. Putting her flute down, Vern immediately fluttered to his aid. She picked up a couple papers, catching one as it was about to lift off into the wind, and a small book and floated over to him. Hovering near the crying man, she lowered herself a little and held out the objects.

"Are you alright, sir?" she asked and the robed figure tried to stand up, but he fell back to the ground. "Oh, here, let me help you!" She set the book on top of the papers and put the whole lot onto one step. Then, she reached out and took one of his arms, pulling up on it as her wings beat more rapidly to keep her aloft.

"Are you hurt? Can you stand? Tell me how I can help y--" she stopped short as he raised his face to look at hers. Beneath the hood of his robes, an interesting expression peered at her. It was a mixture of sorrow and helplessness, but there was also something feral in his watery eyes. It made Vern a little afraid of him and she dropped his arm as if it were made from hot wax. When he began to wobble again, she chided herself silently for being so silly and took his upper arm in her hands once again. Attempting to help him steady himself on his feet, Vern raised his arm up a bit and noticed the scratch on his elbow. She smiled kindly at him.

"You scraped your arm," she told him, as if he didn't already know that. "Do you have anything in that satchel we could wrap around it?"
Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Postby Cryktos Ellios on October 11th, 2013, 2:18 pm

"U-unfortunately, No I do not. I am not a mere alchemist, or apothecary." He said, slowly and unsteadily standing, his arm bleeding slightly. He took a string hanging from his hood and tightened it around his elbow, where the bleeding was, and his dark robe was stained with a dark, abysmal red tinge. He wobbled, held up by the Akvatari, and he looked around. His head was spinning in circles, and he could not think straight. He was sure he would faint at any moment. "I apologize for being so silent. I am not a man of many spoken words, but a man of the written, and the silent." He said, managing a weak smile. He attempted to bend down to grab his last book, and in doing so, fell over, his small stature masking the heavy, muscular body underneath his flowing and torn robes. His face hit the ground, and he struggled to reach his book, attempting a slow crawl. His lust for knowledge and magic was supreme, even over body and mind. He willed himself forward, but to no avail.

"T-that book! Can you grab it for me? I need it to continue my studies!" He yelped, helpless, but hopeful. He had finally met an outside that did not fear him, nor his endless rage against the races. He knew this one, this new person, would become one of his greatest allies. He, although injured and immobile, pulled himself into a sitting position. His tears had dried up by now, and the bleeding had stopped, and yet, he still felt so weak. He had wanted to go home, drink a nice cup of tea, and translate another ancient book. He wondered why his life had to be so hard, and so difficult to manage.

At last, after his book had been returned, he stood, although lopsided, and needing support from the outsider. "What is your name, Outsider?" He asked, weak but curiously. He wanted to meet her, but was afraid her demeanor was as cruel and vile as the Archmage, or the other students attending University. He had always heard her sweet serenades, and yet, had no time to pause and listen to them. Always caught up in his work, Cryktos barely had time to eat his dinner before he had to translate another book, or attend another seminar, or other such event. He was trying to meet new people, and trying to meet friends, but everyone around his thought he was a threat, and they were afraid of him. "I feel like we could be great friends, in the not so distant future..." He Sighed to himself, his voice almost inaudible.
Languages:

Cryktos Ellios
The Mage of Blackfire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vernadel on October 13th, 2013, 11:20 am

The man seemed very feeble, as if he hadn't eaten in days. Though he'd gotten a few scrapes, none of them seemed dire enough to have caused him to be so weak and fragile. Vernadel wondered why and how he'd become so debilitated. She tried her best to help him be steadier, but when he bent forward to reach one of his books, he fell again and the Akvatari's hands flew to her mouth in pity.

"Let me," she told him, and fluttered face down to get the book. She picked it up, admiring the soft leather cover and the etched lines that made up a title. Then, she handed it to the man and helped him to stand back up. This time, she did not let go of his arm until she was sure he could manage on his own.

"My name is Vernadel," she said to his question. "I'm from Abura, but I'm here to study at the University." She hovered near the man, not wishing to get too far away lest he fall again. "You said you write? I do, too. Well, I write poetry...." Vern finished shyly. She played with a lock of her dark hair, suddenly bashful with this stranger. He commented that he thought they could be good friends in the future and the Akvatari beamed at him. She had so very few friends at the University and was teased often for being so different from the normal Zeltivan. Yet, as she studied the robed figure, she could not help feeling that there was some danger lurking within him somewhere, even in his weakened state. But he seemed kind enough and he was certainly in need of her aid at the moment.

"Now that you know my name, would you kindly tell me what I should call you?" she asked. "And is there anything I can get you? Something to eat or drink perhaps? What will help revive your strength?"
Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Postby Cryktos Ellios on October 14th, 2013, 2:05 pm

"A-a little food...A warm meal...I do not get much to eat, being poor as I am." He said, standing, although wobbling slightly. He looked at her, his eyes red from his tears. He clutched his book tightly, obviously keeping it close as of sentimental value. He smiled, and started walking, wobbly, but walking nonetheless. "M-My name is Cryktos. Cryktos Ellios. I am originally from a very small village...The name long forgotten. Most people, even in knowing my actual name, call me Blackfire. I'd rather not explain why, but that is what I am known." He said, his face a small scowl as he realized his book has a small tear. He studied it, mumbling about repairs, when his foot got caught on a step, in the street. He lurched forward, but managed to stabilize himself before he fell.

"I-If you'd like, Vernadel - Or Vern, if I may - You may come to my house for a bit...To rest, and maybe get a small meal?" He offered, reluctantly. He had never let anyone into his home before. It was always a mess, covered in books, papers, and dust. He couldn't let her in, yet he oddly felt compelled to. He hardly knew her, yet felt a friendship between them that none other had ever shared...Except his brother, who was long dead.

He walked, parts of his robe revealing the massive musculature of his true figure, even though he was weak and feeble. He hadn't shown anyone his body under the robe, as it was scarred, and burnt. A single black mark of a scorpion rested on his back, and on the palm of his hand, a symbol, meaning "Evil" was burnt into his flesh. He let her walk near him. She was closer than any man - and certainly any woman - had ever been before. He knew he may regret showing his life to someone, but he felt like he needed to show what he went through, in order to be equal with everyone else.
Languages:

Cryktos Ellios
The Mage of Blackfire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vernadel on October 15th, 2013, 10:46 am

The man began walking and Vernadel coasted over to her possessions, put her flute in her tortoiseshell sack and carried the whole lot with her across her shoulder. Fluttering by his side, the Akvatari nodded as the stranger told her about himself.

Cryktos Ellios was his name and the sounds crackled from his mouth like flames, even before he said he was sometimes called Blackfire. Vern shuddered at the nickname, for she was frightened of fire, and usually everyone associated with it. But then she remembered that Niall worked with fire and the mere thought of him eased her trepidations. When Cryktos asked her to his house, though, she fretted about whether or not to accept his invitation.

She was all alone, and barely knew anything about this man, yet he couldn't be any big threat to her if he was having a difficult time just walking down the street. She wondered where his home was, if it was very far, and then wondered why he was able to provide a small meal when he had just said he was too poor to eat much. Studying him again, Vern noticed that his body was indeed more muscular than she had been led to believe earlier, and the revelation made her anxious. Yet when her eyes traveled to his red rimmed eyes and somber expression, she realized he was just as alone as she and needed a friend even more than she did.

"Thank you, Cryktos," she said, breaking the silence between them as she answered his invitation. "I would like that. And of course you may call me Vern," she added, smiling at him.
Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Postby Cryktos Ellios on October 15th, 2013, 8:57 pm

His face, for the first time in 10 years, broke a smile. Finally having someone to consider a friend, he briskly walked to his tiny, humble home, the door creaking as he opened it. Inside, stacked practically at every possible intersection, were books. They were piled high, some stacks touching as high as the ceiling of his tiny house. He allowed himself in, clearing a path, light generating res, manifesting it into a controlled wind, moving the books to the side, clearing a swath of papers and books, opening a slim walkway. At a small desk, with two chairs, one of which was old and worn, the other virtually unused, sat next to two cups of tea, obviously cold, and a small plate of bread and cheese.

He sat in the old, worn down chair, moving books aside. He set the cups of tea and the plate of bread on a grill over the fireplace, which was burning brightly. The cheese that sat atop the bread melted, covering the soft, warming bread with a soft, juicy ichor. The tea soon boiled, the drink's steam rising into the roof, and out of the many holes that dotted it's old and mottled ceiling. Cryktos smiled, taking one of his cups and drinking it slowly, sighing softly as the hot drink poured into his throat. He thought about what he was about to do, the ancient chair still in mint condition.

"W-Why not take a seat?" He gestured to the chair across from him. It was stable and study, having not been used or left out for many, many years. He remembers the faint memory of his master, before his death, sitting in this chair, as he handed Cryktos his very first book. For a moment, Cryktos blanked out. He was lost in the past, before shaken awake by the hot tea dripping down his dry throat. He grabbed the bread, the feeling of warmth not unfamiliar to the magician, and he tore off a small piece, taking a bite, the mix of cheese and bread warm in his mouth, feeling as if it's melting as he swallowed. He pulled the plate off of the grill, and the other cup as well, setting them on the small table. They were steaming, and yet they felt cool to his touch. He waved his hands majestically, and even though he looked weak, he had an air of Majesty around him, as if he were born of royalty. "I assure you, this chair is quite sturdy." He said, gesturing to the small, shiny chair.
Languages:

Cryktos Ellios
The Mage of Blackfire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vernadel on October 16th, 2013, 11:12 am

When Cryktos opened the door to his abode, Vernadel almost fell to the ground in awe. There were books piled everywhere; seemingly more than in the library from which they had just come, but maybe that was just an illusion because of how the books were stacked and filling every available space. Then, Cryktos began to make a path, but without actually touching anything and Vern hovered in the doorway, staring at him. What a curious fellow. He was certainly much more powerful than she had originally believed and she hesitated before going inside.

She also lingered in the doorway for another reason. Since the small home had low ceilings and little room to maneuver, she did not know how to get inside without knocking things over. If she flew, she would surely not be able to squeeze through the narrow space that Cryktos had just made, yet if she tried to wriggle across the floor, not only would she look silly and clownish, but she knew she'd bump into his stacks of books. Unsure of what to do, she lowered herself over the threshold and balanced awkwardly on her tail while she watched the human put some cups and some bread and cheese in the fireplace.

As the flames meandered through their lazy routine, Vernadel's eyes opened wide in fear. Mesmerized, she stood stock still, though her body began to tremble slightly. Fire, with its heat and destructive power, was the enemy to her natural elements. The Akvatari shuddered in the doorway, trying to decide whether to propel herself in the air and fly away as fast as she could, or to try and overcome her fear so she could stay and get to know the mysterious but very interesting Cryktos Ellios that had just asked her to take a seat.
Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Postby Cryktos Ellios on October 16th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Cryktos suddenly realized what she waited, in a mix of awe and fear for. For one, she must have been afraid of knocking down all of his books, and the large stacks could easily bury a man. He also noticed the fear flicker in her eyes, the flames obviously bright, and even though it was well contained, he still knew that it was a dangerous substance, even if it was small. Of course she would be afraid. When he first encountered fire, he too felt the tinge of fear, the flickering lights glinting in his eyes. A hidden understanding went between the two, and he attempted to convey a message of safety, without saying a word. He had not cared if books fell, but he did care if they caught ablaze by the fireplace. He took another bite of the warm bread, another sip of the piping hot tea, and gestured to an open spot, the place he usually reserved for his sleep.

"Oh, do not mind a mess. In fact, I had planned to sort my books as is, so a mess would, if anything, make my job easier." He smiled a genuine smile, bright with happiness and friendship. He stood, setting his small, warm meal, and walked over to her. He offered her his hand, completely understanding that she did not want to walk, and offered to help her move through the house. He waited in silence, as she was still stunned, and looked on, still smiling awkwardly. His voice was soft, almost childish, as he told her he could carry her, if she wanted him to.

He outstretched arm was showing his muscular figure, and his spindly little fingers flexed, as if they themselves had muscles.
Languages:

Cryktos Ellios
The Mage of Blackfire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next