Closed [Catholicon] What Goes Up, Must Come Down (Ollic)

Job thread for Ollic, where Sana is the patient to be/being treated. Introduction/Preface setting the scene, and to explain the act of idiocy that landed Sana in the Catholicon in the first place.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Catholicon] What Goes Up, Must Come Down (Ollic)

Postby Arysana on October 24th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Speech | Thoughts
It was still morning, with several bells time before noon rest was to begin, and Sana's first real day off in weeks. She pulled her cloak in closer, and retrieved her gloves from the small backpack she'd packed, slipping them into her back pocket. It was rather cold for Autumn, but it was because of the way the wind cut to her bones that had her shiver. Winter was well on its way, she thought. Climbing with both a cloak and a backpack in such weather was dangerous - if not downright idiotic - but for better or for worse; Sana had enough confidence in herself for every worried passer-by.

She did as she always had, and scanned the layout of the tree. The shadow of the morning sun streaking shadows through then branches and leaves, with only the most prominent and sturdy of such leering into view. It wasn't a particularly bad thing, however it gave her a more simplistic view than she was used to, meaning she's have to accommodate for all sorts of little surprises as she went along.

She took a deep breath, before scanning the area for extra hazards as she hit her usual risk assessment mode. She'd picked a rather quiet spot, much closer to the peaks than normal; less buildings, fewer people, and bigger trees, cliff faces far less disturbed, she found. There were only a few who wandered close enough to the base of the wall to be a concern, she thought, second thoughts striking her about the wearing of her cloak and backpack, and their safety should she be wise enough to leave them on the ground, or an otherwise secure position.

Her lips curved into a smile as an idea struck her, spying a nook formed between two large boughs (The two who the boughs belonged two seeming to have grown embedded in a crevice of the cliff), at most a few meters from the ground - enough to hide her gear as she continued to explore and see how far she could go. Afterall, it was an exercise of horizontal movement, not height - she'd need proper gear if her goal was to pressed any further a height than several meters.

She took in a deep breath and stretched her body, eyes tracing over her route a couple times over. It was a simple enough beginning: right foot here, lung up, grab this, use that as support, left foot there and try and reach that before you fall. Simple stuff. In the reality of it, however, it turned out that she’d severely underestimated how difficult it would be to manoeuvre several meters up in a tree-practically-embedded-in-cliff, however most especially with smaller, sharper branches and rocks prickling and jabbing her.

“Right, ok.” She said to herself, first battling against the wind and weight of her cloak as she shrugged her bag off. The nook was over head and to the left somewhat, so she had to lift herself up on her toes to a point where she could be easily fallen to properly reach.

Had she not packed to lightly, she wagered that she’d not have been able to push and prod the damned thing into the space, with the nook being nowhere near as deep as it appeared from the ground. “Well,” she mumbled, letting out a deep breath as she steadied herself, “This is a great start.” Her next task was getting off her simple cloak without falling. She crouched down slightly, her body pressing closer into the trees, such that her knees rested rather stably on the thick trunk.

“Ok, ok. This is good.” She took in a sharp breath, and took off her cloak in a single movement, shortly almost losing balance as she brought it in front of her, lucky a hand made to a supportive branch in time. “What ever happened to ‘three points of contact’?” she said, scolding herself, before pressing back upwards and wrapping her cloak around the nook and her bag, its dismal colouration aiding much in keeping her belongings from view, and protecting it from the cliff's inhabitants.

She took a step downwards, and secured herself as she sought her gloves, reminded that it’d be her first climb wearing them, breaking them in in advance for the coming winter. She threw her right glove on first, securing it on tightly and neatly before fetching the second. The wind picked up just then, and the Gods must have had a sense of humour, with the glove slipping right out of hand as she brought it in front of her.

She reacted on impulse, like most of her mother’s peoples, lunging forward to catch it, only to overcompensate on her balance and slip. The fall was anything but graceful, and was accented by a variety of thuds and ‘ughs’, with Sana making contact with one of the branches directly below where she’d ‘secured’ herself, smashing her wrist before landing face-down on the ground, winding herself in delicate process.

She took in a shallow breath, before exhaling, inhaling, and repeating. She tasted the iron tang of blood and felt the sting nipped tongue, and the prickling of tears forming in her eyes, more than anything, however, was the blistering pain in her left wrist. ‘You have got to be petching kidding me.’ She fought the urge to scream, and instead sat bolt upright, retrieving her glove with her right hand, before shoving it in her pocket and cradling her left.

From what she knew of injuries, which wasn’t all that much, really, she made the educated guess that it wasn’t broken, a fracture, maybe… but it still hurt like hai. She took a glance back up to the damned tree, and watched several smaller branches tremble from the impact, the slightest crumbling of rock here and there. She was at a loss for words and action, entire body rippling in shock. She’d never fallen before, nor thought she’d see the day when she would. How arrogant. Great. Now what? She gritted her teeth and stood, before trying to move her left thumb – an action that merely resulted in a jolt of pain and the urge to hack down the tree and curse at the wind.

She turned and bit her lip, not even able to stand the sight of the towering, overgrown flora. Her eyes could a glimpse of the Catholicon, its towers high and staircases narrow, and name an honest promise. She felt like that child that didn’t want to go for a check-up, afraid of being told they were sick and that they’d miss out on games. “Do I really…” she fumed, mind sorting through any other alternative. ‘I can go now, or when Rima drags me. Or I can run the risk of being damaged for life by hiding it.’ She swallowed hard and sent a look to her back, trying to figure out if there was any foreseeable way to retrieve her belongings. Another look at her swelling wrist and her answer was made for her, and she began the trek to seek medical attention.

“Whose bloody idea was this, in the first place?” she complained, not even bothering to hide the fact that she was grumbling to herself. “Honestly, who saw this mountain peak and thought – hey, how about we make the sick and injured walk up a bloody hill and then climb a damned staircase to receive medical attention. It had already been around a 20 minute journey, and even walking double time, she was barely there, with still stairs and narrow walkways to traverse.

“If I have to wait any longer once inside,” she said to herself, beginning the perilous journey up the narrow stairwell, “I think I’m just going to explode.” Her body ached all over, and each step brought her one more closer to killing the first person she saw. “Stairs, stairs, stairs,” she grumbled, beginning to sound like a madman, the sound of her own voice seeming to be one of the few things to grasp at least a little of her attention. Why does there need to be so many stairs? Surely a ramp could have been made… or the infirmary built on the first floor?” She took in a sharp breath as her left wrist knocked her chest, and averted her gaze to the scenery outside.

Watching the world below was enough to grasp her attention until that little leg of the journey was over, with now the only battle left being actually gaining an appointment. “Do I even class as priority?” She asked herself, dreading the thought of waiting with those actually sick while she waited for her not-contagious-or-deadly injuring to be… healed? Fixed? Mended? Whatever it was that needed to be done, she supposed.

‘Well, I suppose I could use the time to think up an ample excuse to give Armitican. I highly doubt he’s going to approve of me messing my wrist up because I fell out of a tree, from barely a few meters up.
’ When she caught sight of the receptionist, relief washed over her, “Finally,” she said, unable to help herself. “Do you have any idea how much of a pain it is to get here?” she came off more tired than annoyed, rather red faced and out of breath. The woman fixed Sana her own tired look, and whether it was work she was tired of, or people, she wasn’t quite sure.

“Hi, I’m Arysana.” She said, backtracking the conversation, before deciding she might as well get this little section out of the way. “And I’ve done something stupid.”
OOC: :
Yeah, I made way too many errors to just leave it. I left the dialogue, just fixed spelling and grammar. Note to self - don't proof read when tired.
Carry on~! :P

* Edit two, Just went back to ensure that there weren't any plot holes/ discrepancies.

* Edit Three, dang fairy dust font. I thought I'd purged all my posts of it but this remained to slip by me.

* Edit Four, may the divine smite me where I stand if I forget to ensure the code is closed before I submit once more this week
Last edited by Arysana on February 8th, 2014, 7:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Altaira Readva | Naia Whitewater
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Words: 171224
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2013, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ollic Rimesage on October 24th, 2013, 9:06 pm

It had been slightly busy with Ollic and his pursing career as a doctor’s assistant. He had managed through a few medical experiences, working only a few rooms away from where his friend worked.

He could picture her dirty blonde hair and crystal blue eyes piercing his day dream as he traipsed over to the Catholicon for another day at work.

For the past few days, he had been let off with some personal time at his apartment. Part of him graced this opportunity with pleasure, but another side of him begged and pleaded for something to do. For if he did nothing, he would be alone, and when he was alone he began to think. And thinking was never good for him.

The last time he had time to think, he remembered visions of his past with Eshe, spilling cocoa dust all over the counter and floor of his old house back in Avanthal. He could see the entire scene playing out in front of him as if he was there.

He remembered seeing Eshe, sitting beside him and soothing him, but all Ollic could think about was what a disappointment he was to the world. He could never do anything right for himself and couldn’t seem to accept who he was without some form of punishment in the process.

It was a battle that raged on inside of him all the while he saw himself ten years younger, slumped on the floor. The war that would never end. His problems were taking over him and he couldn’t stop them. He was afraid of the unexplained and he couldn’t handle envisioning changes of things that would display dramatic oppositions. It was fear that controlled him and what he did.

Being a doctor seemed like an indecisive idea for him. Most would think him to be mad if he were ever to get involved in such a career as in the medical field for the many problems he struggles with, but others would speak of his bravery in going after his dream no matter how complex his life was.

He tried to side with the latter, but his own mind was in a turmoil.

Not more than a season ago, he had entered Lhavit in terms of searching for a fresh place to start. Travelling from his hometown in Avanthal, he had traveled through the Spires, Sultros and had made it in one piece at the crystalline city.

The first day he had arrived, he had immediately entered the Cosmos Centre in order to ask for a place to stay for a while. With that, the receptionist eagerly handed him a piece of paper that had a list of careers. A doctor’s assistant had screamed at him from within the lines on the paper, and he had willingly accepted to work there for an average pay.

And now, a season later he was still working hard at a job he felt worthwhile attending to. Helping people feel better was one of those heartwarming things that he always wanted to feel. Having emotions that were through the roof, he needed something stable and subtle, and a warm glow admits his heart was the perfect sensation one could have asked for.

It was getting colder and the sun was setting rather quicker as the days rolled by, and as Ollic had picked up his pace to a steady jog, he felt the wind nip at the tip of his nose and fingers. However, growing up in Avanthal had given him some abilities in tolerating the winteresque scenery and weather.

“How I miss the old days,” he said aloud, but he knew deep down inside of him that what he said was a complete and utter lie, for he did not miss the old days.

He found happiness and comfort in where he was right now. He was fulfilling his dream, meeting old friends, making new ones and seeing what a difference he could make, and he was proud of himself for once about it.

Starting from the bottom, Ollic had made due with reaching the never ending stairs that led up to the Catholicon. He had gotten used to the climb, but every day was a wish to not have to continue.

“Damned stairs,” he sighed and heaved his legs up and over the first few steps with a quickened pace.

Things were over before they had even begun as Ollic was embraced in a warm and inviting sensation of the indoors. Pulling his coat off of his shoulders, he tucked it under his arm and folded his hands on top of each other as he walked up another set of stairs and onto the landing of which he worked.

“Greetings,” he said timidly to a couple of nurses who simply glanced at him and nodded. Ollic blushed and continued walking through the corridor.

The first thing he always did was ask what there was needed to be done. Usually, he was handed a small folder of paperwork, of which he would browse through. Other times he would be sent to the waiting room where he would meet an injured patient. The latter was almost always desired.

Today he happened to get his wish, as he heard a woman’s call to the receptionist he had passed merely a few moments ago.

“Do you have any idea how much of a pain it is to get here?” she fumed to the lady, and Ollic couldn’t help but give a subtle chuckle in understanding. Only moments ago he had been complaining to himself that there were so many damned stairs he had to trek up. It was like climbing a mountain, something he had never done before, but could probably pass of by saying he had.

“Hi, I’m Arysana,” she continued with her face in a slight grimace. “And I have done something stupid.”

She was holding her left hand in a fashion that gave Ollic the impression that it was damaged. How damaged remained a mystery and unless he walked over to her and asked what was wrong, he would never find out.

Sucking up his social anxiety and stuffing it deep inside his soul, he started to slowly walk over to the woman.

Her hair was as red as the Carnelian rock and her eyes were a faded green, giving an accent tone with the rest of her fair skin. She didn’t look much younger than him, making him seem even more eager to come to her aid.

“Ma’am, would you like me to take a look at that?” he asked calmly, a croak in his throat from Gods who knows? He thought his anxiety had been shoved down to the base of his body. It shouldn’t be anywhere visible still, but it still seemed to be apparent, not wanting to leave his side for fear of neglect.

The receptionist snapped her neck in the direction of where Ollic stood, his coat still pushed up under his arm, his hair slightly messy from the wind, his eyes the colour of the grass after a fresh morning of light rain.

“Your arm. It’s hurt? I can patch it up.”

And he smiled. He smiled!

I am back from my time in recovery and I will be happy to pick up on the roleplaying I left for a while. It feels so good to be back and I am looking forward to expanding Ollic's experience!
Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Words: 212499
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2013, 11:48 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arysana on October 25th, 2013, 7:13 am

Speech | Thoughts
Sana heard movement; soft steps from somewhere off in the depths of the building, only properly tuning in when the sound of someone’s voice called out. The receptionist made a jerky movement, and the young woman followed suit.

Sana looked at the man, a frown creasing her forehead. He seemed to be have at least a few years on her, with his jaw set and face lacking the real boyish look that others her age often had; even with his startling green eyes, pleasant smile, and windblown hair. As odd as it sounded, he reminded her of her father, the same disjointed feel between personality and physical appearance. He looked strong, his height and width nothing to take a slight at, his facial features well developed – but his expression was different. There was a calm look to him, nothing jagged or stoic, a shadow of genuine kindness to his smile. Her gaze found the colour of his eyes, again, perplexed by their sheer radiance. Then it hit her – he’s a Vantha.

Her gaze dropped to the coat he held in hand, before moving quickly back to the receptionist. She was at a loss as to what to make of the woman’s expression, the constant throbbing in her hand meaning she lacked patience and mental capacity to study the confliction in her look and discern an answer.

A sudden draft chilled her, and she flinched, pain rippling through her arm, duly noting that it might be a good idea to respond. “If you could, that’d be marvellous.” She looked haphazardly to the receptionist, as though the woman had erected some invisible barrier that prevented her from moving onwards.

The receptionist looked a little taken aback, before nodding her head and waving her arm a little too dramatically. Sana gave her a pressed smile, the most she could manage, before taking a few, unsure steps towards the man –doctor? or nurse? Perhaps an assistant? She wasn’t quite sure, but he looked confident enough. “Lead the way.” She gave him a curt nod, and rocked on her heels as she waited to follow.
Last edited by Arysana on January 30th, 2014, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ollic Rimesage on October 25th, 2013, 6:38 pm

By the way the woman with cinnamon coloured hair looked Ollic up and down, he could presume that she more than hesitant to be going with him. Of course he hadn’t had time to even set down his coat, wash up or even prep for any patient quite yet, for he had merely arrived at the Catholicon only moments ago.

He was about to pipe up something about who he was and what he was capable of doing, when the woman snapped her head back in the direction of the receptionist, as if seeking for approval or guidance. The receptionist leant back in her chair as if having no quandary with Ollic and pointed towards his direction.

“Lead the way,” the woman said with a slight cringe as a chill sprang in for the attack on her left arm. Still not completely certain on what it was that was hurting her, he began to make forced conversation on their stroll to the room he usually worked in.

He started with a simple explanation of how his morning was. It was nice, short and sweet like a cherry on top of some sort of dessert.

“I just happened to get here a few moments before you walked in. I had no one else to help…” suddenly a small panic attack erupted inside his chest. Trying to calm it down, Ollic let his words trail off as he breathed. How is he talking like everything is alright? He’s talking to this stranger as if she were his best friend in the entire world.

Leading the woman into the next room to the right, Ollic shut the door behind him and offered to the chair at the opposite side of the room. He needed to observe the woman’s injury as quick as he could to make sure that no more damage that wasn’t obvious to the naked eye had been done.

“If I may ask,” Ollic spoke again, now calmed with a few repetitions of deep breathes, “what is your name?”

Secret :
Don't worry, mine was short and simple too. :p

I am back from my time in recovery and I will be happy to pick up on the roleplaying I left for a while. It feels so good to be back and I am looking forward to expanding Ollic's experience!
Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arysana on October 26th, 2013, 1:38 am

Speech | Thoughts
The doctor's words fell as though he was unsure, soon dissolving into nothing. Sana could hear his heavy breaths, even with the pulsation of pain ringing in her ears. Had she not been gritting her teeth, she would have forced some sort of small talk - making some inquisitive comment about the height of the building, or the design of the building, or something of the like.

The hallway they walked down was largely empty, with little more than the sounds of movement in the far off distance. He turned right rather smoothly, over shooting an entry way and indicating her to enter first. It was an awkward moment that came next, with Sana not too sure what she was to do – never have taken the time to actual to be properly seen to, medically speaking. The man shut the door once he entered, and she took several steps more into the space of the room, before a gesture had her take a seat in the far side. It was a simple enough set-up, she noted, professional and clean.

He began again, rather awkwardly, breaking the silence that had settled upon them. She felt her face drop, and braced herself for the joy of explaining her recent act of idiocy. Had she not been so damaged, and in quite a deal of pain, she'd had have joy in telling the tale.

A wave of relief washed soon over her, hearing the man wished for nothing more than a name, enough to soften the pained, pressed look she'd been wearing for the last half bell. “Arysana,” she said, before weighing up whether or not she should give a proper introduction. As her words were coherent and voice strong, a good sign, she supposed it would do little more harm than good to go all out. “Arysana Elthorne,” She squirmed just saying it. She always hated her name: it was long and gawky and jaded, and when she grew up, it was the real defining aspect that marked her 'just another human', an outsider. “It is painfully wordy; some strange blend of the names of my foremothers. Please, just ‘Sana’ is fine, if you will.” The throbbing in her hand dulled slightly, and she’d almost forgotten her reason for being in the building in the first place.

“And you are?” She couldn't help the curious trailing of her voice, nor the way she shifted her pose to a more upright position. She was comfortable. Which wasn't all that much of a shock, with the young woman rarely feeling out of place, but it wasn't so often that she had to mind herself from slouching.
Last edited by Arysana on January 30th, 2014, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ollic Rimesage on October 27th, 2013, 2:52 am

Hesitantly stepping over to the chair that sat bluntly and blankly on the other side of the room, the woman sat down in it with a mix of eagerness and exhaustion. Perhaps it wasn’t just her hand that was causing her so much pain. Perhaps it was something else too.

Responding to his latest question, the words that came out of her mouth were smooth yet strained. Like salt and honey, she pronounced her fairly difficult and lengthy name as Arysana.

Personally, Ollic always admired the unique and queer names that parents gave their children. It was some sign of genuine presence. As if they were born and placed on the earth for a reason, a name no one else had could only give them the idea of power and individuality.

Ollic, himself, had quite a normal name in some places. Of course in Avanthal, his last name no one else had, for he had been born outside of the city, not being withheld in any holds or by any relatives. Yet, still he felt like he wasn’t original, and instead belonged to someone as if being restricted or held to a permanent bound.

However, the way Arysana talked about her name was in distaste and dislike. She said it was a strange name that was awfully hard to pronounce, yet remember. Ollic simply kept his mouth shut, not wanting to cross the boundaries of what he thought of her name. It was her name and shall do with it as she pleased, he thought.

She told him that Sana would fit her just as nicely, and that is exactly what he planned to call her. After explaining the detail of her name, she had politely asked him what his was. This was most expected, for what person would be asked a name if not to say their own name in return?

“My name is Ollic Rimesage and I work here as a doctor’s assistant. I handle basic problems. By the way I say that, I assure you that you have nothing to worry about.”

Taking another gander at her appearance and then at his surroundings in the room, he began to plan what strategies and techniques he was going to use to help his new patient.

“Well Sana, what seems to be the problem?” he asked her, already knowing full well what her issue seemed to be, the pain that had been conflicting rather conspicuously on her fair toned face. The way she held her left arm had been noticed the moment he had laid his eyes on her.

“I see that your left arm is causing you discomfort,” he continued, making sure that he didn’t assume something that wasn’t right. Of course he knew the area of which was in pain, but he never wanted to come off as sounding cocky, and he most certainly never wanted to feign understanding and intelligence that wasn’t correct.

However, he also needed to know how she had done the damage to her arm. If she had noticed twisting it, bending it back farther than it allowed or whether she was bitten by a snake was all up to the patient to explain. He needed this information to continue.

“Could you tell me what happened?”

Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arysana on October 27th, 2013, 4:57 am

Speech | Thoughts
She caught a look cross the man's expression, and pressed her lips into a tight line. She could tell that there was at least a slight difference of opinion in there, somewhere, but knew just as well that where she had her own reasoning, he no doubt had his. She half expected him to make a comment, even if it was little more than a dismissive statement. Instead, he gave a thoughtful look before responding, in turn, to her own question.

Ollic Rimesage, he said his name was. It was a rather strong name, she thought, wise if not that. She’d wanted to try seeing how it rolled off her tongue, but settled bitterly for mouthing it slightly, paying keen attention to the rolling of her tongue, and the stress she’d put on the vowels. He – Ollic – went on to mention his title and offer reassurances she didn’t need. He seemed responsible enough. Professional and clean cut. Moreover, she figured the worst of her injuries was still only minor, the bruising and cuts here and there nothing great enough to really bring up. There was also the fact that the receptionist allowed her to leave him, so it wasn’t as though he was some stranger that had wandered into the Catholicon.

If anything, his words served their comfort in drawing Sana's attention for the throbbing in her hand and dull pains here and there. The comfort quickly left her, with the next two questions asked bringing her mind straight back to the pain. “Uh,” she drawled, not too sure which order to answer what was asked of her. She wasn't so daft as to think Ollic had no idea what the problem was, especially with the way his gaze tended toward the colouration, swelling, and holding of her hand.

“Well,” she answered, eventually, eyes finding the roof as she failed to produce words. “Nothing major,” bringing her gaze back down, both her body and ego bruised from her little accident. “I just… fell.” It was a simple enough answer, but rather useless. “Out of a tree-cliff-thing,” she tilted her head slightly, “And landed on my face and winded myself. But I’m ok, mostly.” She gave a slight pause, considering just how serious her injury might have sounded with little more than what she’d said.

“Really nothing serious, though. The rest of me broke the fall, along with a number of branches. I wasn’t even that high up.” She lifted her left hand arm, jaw taunting at the pain of the movement, “I think hit my wrist just after I slipped, and then again on my final impact.” She gestured around her thumb and wrist, as well as half her forearm. “Just, pain. Everywhere.” She leaned forward and rest her elbow on her leg, allowing her hand to remain limp while relieving the soreness of her arm.

She gave Ollic a slight, painful shrug, along with a knowing look. She only realised how ridiculous she must have looked after her shoulders had finished rolling, and wondered how her own bitter embarrassment had managed to morph into and apathetically-accepting attitude closer to ‘Yeah, well. What can you do? You can’t climb a tree without expecting to fall every now and again.’ ‘Wow’, she thought, ‘What is wrong with me today?’
Last edited by Arysana on January 30th, 2014, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ollic Rimesage on October 28th, 2013, 1:19 am

Sana, Ollic desperately wishing he could enunciate each individual letter in her full name, seemed to shut down after his most recent question. Most patients did this, in either embarrassment, failure to look triumphant in life with their minor back fall, or simply shy and quiet in speaking to a complete stranger.

Ollic, having a good perception on reading facial expressions and body language which had been given to him through his many years of not speaking to people but rather observing them, had an educated guess that Sana was shrinking away from his inquiry due to his former option.

She seemed to be well built with confidence brimming on the edge. Her eyes, like stone with both ferocity and bravery, didn’t seek out simple back fires. She was strong and hated to be taken care of. Of course, sometimes his assumptions weren’t correct, however, with the strong sensation pulsating within his gut, he felt very sure of himself.

Her eyes flickered around his face as she spoke of falling out of a tree with major hesitation. Falling out of a tree wasn’t so bad, he thought remembering an incident with a woman who had forgotten to wear protective armour when taking out a batch of sweets, or an incident with a young man who had been goofing around with his friends and had attempted to jump off a brick wall in terms to complete a forward flip. That of course didn’t go over all too well, ending in the result of several stitches and a cast on his lower left arm. Ollic was near close to explaining this to Sana, but felt better to refrain his stories and instead get back to the task at hand.

Gesturing toward her wrist, Sana continued to give a reason for her pain. Falling out of the tree had given her an unexpected turn of events, her inability to position her land accordingly caused a trauma to her wrist.

It was mesmerizing to hear the girl speak, her lips forming letters, the letters forming words. It was almost enthralling, Ollic always used to being around other Vantha who would tell him stories and tales in Avanthal. Oh how he dreamed of at least visiting there again for that reason alone. However, his calling had landed him here in Lhavit and he wasn’t about to leave as soon as his career had started.

Her other fingers trailing across her thumb and wrist, as well as half her forearm gave a slight hint that the injury hadn’t just simply taken place in her wrist. Perhaps it was more major than he had originally concluded.

“Just pain... everywhere,” she told him, squinting her eyes in hopes to try to block out some of the pain. Ollic had known before that his voice and eager distractions had somewhat dimmed the pain she was in, but that was then and this was now and he knew he needed to help ease the pain she was in as soon as he could.

Still listening to Sana tell him the entire story, he started to walk over to the cabinets, remembering all the while what his supervising doctor had told him in relevance to medicines and of what accordance they were used for.

Browsing the labels, Ollic’s index finger came across a thick label reading,

Krolar Poultice
A thin paste made from mixing ground bark from a Krolar tree; a deciduous tree common to the Sylira Region with various crushed wildflowers. This medicine numbs pain and increases overall healing rates of all manner of wounds when combined with adequate rest

this was something that stood out to Ollic among the many other things that were inside. This would help numb the pain and increase healing rates of all manner of wounds, and of course he would issue Sana some needed rest as well.

Pulling it off the shelf, Ollic began to unscrew the cap before realising that the red-headed woman had stopped talking. Her last sentence was muffled from Ollic’s change in tactics, but he had still managed to make out a small joke in her part. This gave Ollic a sense of satisfaction, a small smile creeping up onto his lips.

Turning to face Sana, with the bottle of Krolar Poultice still in his hand, he came closer to her, his smile still latched onto his lips.

“I’ll tell you what I’m going to do miss Sana,” he told her, setting the medicine on the counter, “I am going to observe your wrist to make sure there isn’t any internal damage. I also want to make sure that no bones are broken or fractured. I won’t tell you that it won’t hurt, because it will-“ Ollic cringed, thinking to himself why on earth would he say that? and continued- “but I will tell you that the pain is only temporary.”

Grabbing a roller chair from in the room’s corner, he sat down on it and rolled closer to Sana’s left side, taking her wrist in his hands with gentle, cold fingers.

“Are you ready?” he asked before continuing. Whether she would accept or not, he was in need to go ahead with this observation. A simple splint wouldn’t help a broken arm with the estimated time he predicted. That was for something stronger and more protective.

Looking into Sana’s green eyes, she stared back at his own emerald coloured eyes. He breathed in a long, slow breath and waited for her response.

Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arysana on October 28th, 2013, 10:14 am

Speech | Thoughts
He’d been roaming around the room for a little while, eyes narrowed and focused, though still half listening to Sana's words – so much seen when she saw his expression break, with Ollic giving a small smile. It was different to the first smile he’d given, but she found it no less pleasant.

The first smile was far more pronounced, but there was a quirk to his lips that hinted at a dash of insecurity; a bite of nervousness and a bitter after taste, both of such largely overcome as he forced sweeter emotions to the surface. This smile had its own set of quirks. He was a little while away from her, his side of the room embellished with all manner of poultices and jars, but she watched the formation of the curve of his lips from the beginning.

There was a subtlety to it. It was a look of quiet mirth and merriment, no selfish smirk or twist. It wasn’t pressed or contained, either, left to grow or dissolve or turn as it would. It was a good smile, kind and hopeful and satisfied, she thought.

He turned and gave her a look, shifting slightly closer, the smile still clinging tight to his lips. There was a part of her that wondered if he really knew it was there, with his words of warning against the pain to come quickly softening his smile. A look of displeasure crossed his expression, but it disappeared as quickly as it came, and he shortly continued. She wasn’t surprised at the look he gave himself, expression of care on well-formed face misplaced against his blunt words. Not that she could complain all that much.

She’d take the bitter truth over sweet lies any day. Even though she felt her blood run cool for the slightest of moments, it meant that she well and truly had a moment to prepare herself. If it was one thing she knew from her experience, it was that the healing and treating of injuries could be far worse than the initial pain.

He took hold of a roller chair, and brought to her side, and she stifled a smile at the oddity it was to watch a professional wheel such a thing about, his height and need to hunch over slightly adding to the scene. He took a careful seat to her left, before rolling in closer.

He took a gentle hold of her wrist; his hands were cold on her skin, taking away an edge to the burn. The sheer vibrancy of his emerald eyes had her feel the slightest touch of envy, and her own breath and heartbeat slowed to a steady rhythm.

When he asked for how she was prepared to deal with what was to come, it as though there was any point in delaying the inevitable. “As ready as I’ll ever be,” she mused, her eyes dipping immediately her wrist, examining it for a moment. She had no idea what she was looking at. “Can I request that you give me a bit of a narration?” she asked, lifting her gaze to meet Ollic’s. “Tell me what you’re looking for…” She trailed, rattling off any and every example that sprang to mind, “Why you’re looking at it – what it would mean if there was this, or if that looked like something in particular.” She pressed her lips, “I’m curious… and for future references.”

She swallowed hard, Ollic’s hand quickly absorbing the heat of her wrist, with it’s cool relief swiftly fading. “Please?” She said finally, a heavy breath escaping her as she spoke. She curled her right fingers around the front rim of the chair in preparation, locking her jaw tightly in an attempt to discourage herself from grinding her teeth.
Last edited by Arysana on January 30th, 2014, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ollic Rimesage on October 28th, 2013, 11:48 pm

There was no pregnant pause after Ollic had asked the heart racing question. Sana had immediately responded with an “as ready as I’ll ever be”. This pleased Ollic. This was a girl who was much stronger than she looked. She wasn’t just brace with much ferocity, she was wise with aged experience no matter how young she appeared. She didn’t let anything throw her back and her tolerance for pain was unbearably inconceivable. If only Ollic could be the same…

Planting his fingertips in the necessary positions to observe and feel for any breaks, he was interrupted by Sana who had asked him kindly if he were to explain to her what it was that he was doing.

So she was interested in his techniques? His tactics on medicine intrigued her? This was much like his childhood with the first friend he had ever made back in Avanthal. His friend had been interested in the human body and its anatomy and physiology. And unlike most patients who would shut their eyes before feeling an oncoming vaccination or request to be put under, this girl was different. She wanted to know what was happening to her and Ollic found that wonderful and genuine… like her name.

“Alright,” Ollic told her swiftly, but she was still requesting his narration in more detail. He smiled again, showing his white teeth this time, his laugh lines barely present. That is what you get when you spend your entire childhood in normalcy and boredom. No friends, no exciting events and no adventures.

“Please?” she finished as her fingers clawed the chair’s back for support. The action of doing just that sent Ollic a little on edge. Was she using the support of the chair for balance in case she were to faint? Was she easy at blacking out? She most certainly didn’t look it, but Ollic new fairly well that looks could be deceiving.

“I’ll tell you what I am doing. I’ll explain to you what I am searching for,” he told her, watching her jaw muscles tense from anticipation. He knew that term very well. It was always worse than the actual thing. Most of the time that is.

He then began to feel his way around her wrist, trying his best to stay on his intentions and not become distracted by the grimaces and sharp breathes his patient made.

“Right now, I am pressing my fingers around the carpals, the middle region of your hand and wrist.”

He moved up the wrist to the lunate and checked for any damage there all the while continuing his monologue of duties with, “There are many sections of the wrist, but only so many that are necessary to be checked for. So far I haven’t felt any fractures or break in the bones of your wrist. It’s as simple as that,” he finished, adding a shrug to end his lecture.

With that, Ollic stopped and looked up at Sana, his irises blinking rapidly from their current deep emerald green to a smouldering orange like that of embers from a writhing fire. With a second time lapse, they were back to their green phase.

He blinked quickly then, knowing from his emotions that they had turned without his voluntary actions telling them to, something of which he despised. Whilst most people were good about hiding their feelings and their emotions, Ollic’s were bluntly out there for everyone to see. All they had to do was look into his eyes and try to figure out what the colours meant.

“I’d say that you have a minor sprain. Sprains can range from basic throbs a pain, but can also inflict major tension in the area, all the while stile remaining minor.”

Rolling his chair over to the counter again, he grabbed the bottle of poultice in his hand, snatched a cotton ball from a plastic tray to the left and scooted back over to his patient who still looked at him with curiosity and interest. From his narration of medical actions or from his moody eye colour changes, he couldn’t tell.

Twisting open the cap, he began to pour a small amount of the poultice onto the cotton ball and began to dab at her injured wrist gently, making sure not to apply too much pressure as to cause her discomfort.

“Now I am applying a simple herbal poultice to the wounded area to help ease the pain you’re in. Accompanied with some well-deserved rest, you should be fine… as soon as I find a splint to keep your wrist in place.”

With a flashing smile and an added, “We don’t want you to hurt that wrist whilst it’s still healing, now would we?” Ollic scooted over to the cabinets again to scrounge around at the bottom, looking for some gauze and two small sticks.

Rummaging around in the wooden cabinet, Ollic came to find a roll of white gauze on one side and a pair of small wooden sticks in a plastic package exactly parallel to it. Pulling them out as if retrieving a treat for a dog to see, he continued to proceed to helping his patient who had really stunned him with feelings of admiration.

He rested the bag of sticks in his lap as he attended to trying to unwrap a fair amount of gauze to completely cover Sana’s wrist several times. After doing this, he wheeled over to retrieve a pair of scissors only to stop himself midway and swing his head down for a mere second, realising that he had to put the sticks in place before wrapping the gauze around.

Idiot, you’re making a mockery of yourself, he thought to himself, biting his tongue until he tasted blood. It was well deserved, just like how Sana was well deserving of a little rest. Why couldn’t he deserve something of the sort?

Smiling to try to appear as if everything was meant to be as planned, Ollic rejected grabbing the scissors for a second only to think twice and snatch them out of the tray that was placed coincidentally on the middle of the counter. Doctors needed utensils to open utensils to open utensils too…

Starting from the top, Ollic opened the plastic bag of thick wooden sticks with the pair of scissors and remained determined to finish his work, placing one stick on one side of Sana’s wrist and unwrapping some guaze to hold it onto, his thumb doing most of the dirty work as his other hand grabbed the other stick and placed it on the other side.

The bones in Sana’s wrist slide to a straight line, the sound of seething through clenched teeth nothing but background noise to him as he dropped the plastic bag to the floor and continued to wrap the gauze around her lower arm, making sure that it was tight enough to remain positioned, but not tight enough to restrict blood flow.

As soon as he realised what he had done, he bit his lip until the pain ran up the side of his cheek. No blood this time.

“I’m sorry,” he told her, his eyes hinting to the colour of a deep, dark blue in terms for sadness. “I was going to tell you everything I was doing, wasn’t I?”

Clearing his throat and still hustling through his prioritized quest, Ollic picked up on his explaination with a simple, “Where was I?”

“Right. So after I checked your wrist for any fractured or broken bones, I knew most certainly that you had either simple torn or stretched a muscle too far, whether it was twisted or pulled. This is called a sprain. I put two medical sticks on either side of your wrist to keep your wrist in place as it healed. The gauze helps this out as well.”

He only paused to catch his breath, his mood no longer active in terms of determination. He was tired and he hated it. He wished with all his might that things could go before he messed up his plan. He was an orderly kind of guy and needed things to go a certain way without error, something he had managed to mess up entirely. However, he was determined to keep Sana happy, for he took a natural liking to her.

“Do you have any questions?” he asked, his eyebrow raising and his irises shifting to a lighter shade of green.

Part of him wanted this conversation to be over, but another part of him, a stronger part of him wanted nothing more than to be with someone at the current moment. He hoped with all he could muster that Sana had questions. Millions of questions even.

Secret :
Wow, that was long. Sorry if this was a pain to read. Somethings might be jumbled up. I was kind of in a rush!

Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next