PM to join [River Flower] When One Door Closes... (Waisana)

... another one opens.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

[River Flower] When One Door Closes... (Waisana)

Postby Nathaniel Deveraux on October 31st, 2013, 3:31 pm

Day 36, Season Fall, 513 AV

It was frustrating, Nate decided, to be in a city that clearly had no use for you. At least in Syliras, he was able to hunt game in the surrounding forests and earn a living to feed him self and his two sisters. But here in Endrykas, they clearly did not trust him enough to permit such actions. He wasn't sure what they were so worried about; if he got lost or eaten out there, what concern of theirs was it? Nonetheless, with not much else he could actually do, Nate decided to see if he could perhaps put his medical skills to use.

Nate figured there had to be some healers, even in a tent city like this one. Working his way across the many colorful pavilion tents set up, he frowned as he realized he still had no way of knowing where those healers would actually be. Given the mobile nature of the city, he wondered if the configuration of the tents would change each time the city moved. Wonderful. If that were the case, he'd never, ever find his way in this city.

Nate continued to wander about, observing the trading and rapid-fire Pavi being exchanged as hunters turned in pelts for Mizas, arrows, services, and other such things. It was fascinating to see how, despite their nomadic nature, these people apparently bartered in much the same way the Syliran merchants did. Put some stone walls up, change the pavilions to stalls, switch the language to Common and this would be the Bazaar at midday, where Nate had to sell quite a few pelts of his own. He still remembered haggling and dealing with obstinate merchants trying to bargain him down.

After another few chimes of fruitless wandering, Nate noticed that some of the pavilions were truly huge. He didn't know the reason those particular tents were larger than others, but he suspected it might be because they belonged perhaps to larger, more important families, or perhaps the centers at which major clans gathered. Nate still didn't know the dynamics of this city, and that made figuring out the purposes of the layout of the tents even harder for him.

The sweet and spicy odor of herbs being prepared floated by Nate's nostrils. It was faint, but noticeable, especially to a medic like Nate who trained himself to recognize the smell of herbs in the event he'd need to find them. Granted it could also be the odor of a meal being cooked, but those smells tended to be more aromatic and less... medicinal and sharp. And even though Nate did not recognize these specific odors he did know they were definitely medical in nature.

Following the scent, he found himself before another one of the huge pavilions, this one brilliant-white, with people walking quickly in and out of the place with the measured and determined pace of people with places to be. Nate recognized that pace, it was the pace of doctors tending to patients, of medics tending to the injured.

He'd seen it often enough when apprenticing back in Syliras, and peering inside the pavilion, he could see the bedrolls with patients on them, the herbs hanging in front of fires to dry, clay pots undoubtedly with medicine lined up on makeshift tables, mortar and pestle placed not too far away to grind seed into life-saving medication. A hospital tent, then, and clearly the main hospital from the size of it.

Nate was frankly uncertain how to offer his services here. What could he say? "Hi, I'm a captive, and I hate being here. But I've got medical skills, and I'm bored, so can you use some help?" Oh yeah, that would go over real well. Nate sighed. Well, there was only one way to find out if they would accept his help, and that was to go inside. But almost as soon as he did he was stopped by a wiry-looking man with tattoos down his arms. He glanced at Nate, brown eyes meeting brown eyes, as he carefully evaluated this new intruder.

"Sorry. Cannot let captive work here," he determined, finally. Nate pressed his lips into a thin line as he worked to keep his temper under check. Seriously? What exactly was he supposed to do, sit on his thumbs? He truly did not understand what the Drykas were keeping him around for. Unlike his sisters he couldn't carry children for them (a prospect he was already none-too-happy about), and now they were essentially telling him he couldn't even use his skills in a productive manner? What did these people want from him?!

"Look," he grumbled, "I get that you people don't trust me. And believe me, the feeling's mutual. But seriously, you're going to turn down help just because of the source? I can promise you that as a medic I help everybody in need, regardless of who they are."

Nate wasn't even sure the Drykas man even understood what he said to him, since he only stared back for a few ticks, blinking a few times before finally replying, "Cannot. Captive not become. Captive not trust. Must leave, many patients to see."

Nate sighed. With the language barrier firmly in place, combined with the mutual distrust, it was unlikely he'd find much success here. Yet another dead-end. He really beginning to wonder if the Drykas was going to permit him to do anything at all in this petching place. Nate sighed as he turned and walked back out the pavilion. It wouldn't have mattered anyway.

His medical knowledge was basic; really just emergency first-aid. Good, perhaps, for stabilizing a patient in the field, and getting them sufficiently mobile and healthy to make it back to camp to get real treatment, but not for a hospital setting. Perhaps it was for the best. He didn't recognize more than half the herbs hanging from those drying racks anyway, and with the language barrier on top of it all, he doubted he'd have been any real help at all.
Nathaniel Deveraux
Family First.

Words: 232089
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2013, 4:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Waisana on November 1st, 2013, 5:59 pm

Dealing with soiled bandages was a disgusting business. You avoided handling them as much as possible, picking them up on the end of a stick but yet they were still horrible to dispose of. Worse, they were old! Waisana wrinkled her nose as she picked up another one, covered in old blood and possibly some skin too, and placed it gingerly in the fire. As soon as the flames caught it, the smell of burning flesh reached her nose and she had to turn her head away in disgust. 

It was little surprise that the other healers had given her such dirty work. The smell of burnt used bandages was enough to choke anyone so why not give the job to the eager healer-in-training? It worked out very well for them but she was the one who had to stop herself from retching every time she got a whiff of burnt person. She was only putting the bandages in gradually as well so she wouldn't be totally overwhelmed but it was still pretty bad.

Sticking the last bandage in the fire, she went back into the main part of the tent to check if there were any more. The scent of medicinal herbs hit her nose immediately and she breathed in deeply, glad to clear her nostrils of that other horrible stench. She wondered if they were preparing them on purpose to stop the smell of burning bandages from invading. Probably.

A movement in the corner of her eye made her glance lazily over. She paused, turning to watch the scene unfold with interest. 

There was a strange man in the tent not wearing any clan markers who was trying to get around one of the healing helpers. The stranger didn't seem to happy about something and she drifted closer to try to eavesdrop.

"...you're going to turn down help just because of the source? I can promise you that as a medic I help everybody in need, regardless of who they are."

So the man was offering his medical services yet he wasn't happy. Waisana wondered why. She also noted that he was speaking in Common. Was he a captive?

"Cannot. Captive not become. Captive not trust. Must leave, many patients to see,"the healer helper replied. His words confirmed her suspicion that the man was a captive. Despite that he should be allowed to help yet he was being turned away. Before she could intervene, he was gone. 

Waiting a few ticks, the teen slipped out of the tent in pursuit of him. She jogged up behind him, drawing level with him before she said anything.

"Hi! Did you want help or something?" she asked, knowing full well that he wanted to give aid, not receive it.

Active threads: 2 of 5
2 Quest threads

Pavi | Grassland sign | Common | Speech of others

Waisana
Gentle Horse Maiden

Words: 363907
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Nathaniel Deveraux on November 1st, 2013, 9:33 pm

"Hi! Did you want help or something?"

Nate paused and turned, taking a good look at the young lady that had run up to him. She had blonde hair done up in the complicated braids that seemed so popular among Drykas women, and her blue eyes were looking into his with curiosity. Nate couldn't really see any windmarks on shher, but the fact that her hair was done in their style, combined with the fact that she'd clearly come out of the healer's tent, meant she was probably a Drykas. Great. Yet another one.

Still, Nate couldn't really summon the energy to be particularly angry at her. He didn't know her, she hadn't "bought" any of his sisters, nor him, nor had he met her under very trying circumstances like Oryani. Besides, she offered to help, something none of the other Drykas had thought of asking.

"Ehh, kinda," he mused. If she was Drykas, he assumed her Common was probably not all that great. "I thought I would offer the healers my assistance," he explained. "I've been patching myself, and others, up in the field for... oh... going on almost eight years. I've picked up a trick or two along the way."

Then Nate sighed, running a tired hand over his face. "Guess I can't blame them, though. I don't know half the herbs I saw in there. And medicine... really isn't something you want to be 'practicing'."

Nate chuckled. "I mean, you can't really say to a patient, 'whoops, I messed up! Sorry, I have to chop your arm off.' That tends to not really go over great."

Nate sniffed the air a bit, the acrid stench of burnt flesh wafting from the girl, and he smirked slightly and raised an eyebrow. "So... have you been burning dead flesh? Or did somebody really mess up their cooking?"
Nathaniel Deveraux
Family First.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Waisana on November 1st, 2013, 10:58 pm

The man turned to analyse her and Waisana found herself feeling self-conscious under the man's gaze. He was only looking at her with curiosity, not with any other emotion so that was all right. The girl managed a tentative smile as she listened to his explanation. She already knew why he'd come into the tent, that he wanted to help but she wouldn't have guessed that his experience would be so vast. Eight years was a long time.

He continued talking, chuckling to himself as he did. She couldn't understand what he found so funny. He was talking about a very serious subject, the welfare and treatment of patients but yet he was being almost flippant. Perhaps this was his idea of a joke, one that didn't translate across well. Maybe it was one of those things that only a fluent speaker would understand but then again maybe he was just weird or morbid or something...

She managed to get back on somewhat the same wavelength as him when he mentioned the burnt flesh. Unconsciously, she sniffed herself but couldn't smell the odour that had no doubt clung to her skin and hair. It was embarrassing that she would reek like that and she felt that she had to apologise for it.

"Oh I was burning used bandages. Blood and flesh don't smell nice when they go in the fire," she answered, blushing a little. "Um...why don't you uh get someone to teach you our herbs? I could...if you wanted. I don't know huge amounts of information but I know what everything is."

Her voice showed her shyness, her hands moving automatically as she talked though they were pretty useless where Common was concerned.
2 Quest threads

Waisana
Gentle Horse Maiden

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Nathaniel Deveraux on November 1st, 2013, 11:38 pm

If Nate was being honest with himself, he'd admit to being disappointed that the girl didn't seem to respond to his sarcastic humor regarding medicine. He supposed it might've been a combination of the language barrier and his own flippant nature, though in truth, he took medicine very seriously. When he was actually out in the field, there was no time for games, so he got in as much flippancy where it was safe as he could.

When the girl mentioned what she'd been doing, Nate shrugged. "No, they really don't," he agreed, to her point of burning used bandages smelling nice, "Though I can tell you after eight years being a medic in the field; you either grow an iron-cast stomach, or you stop being a medic."

To her question about why he didn't find someone to teach him, Nate indicated with his head where he'd just come from. "Well, as you probably saw, I haven't really... made very many friends here. I won't deny I'm not entirely happy to be here, but that doesn't mean that I don't take my Oath seriously."

Nate was referring to the Oath of Medicine, the first Oath he ever took when he was initiated. "First: do no harm. Second: help everyone in need," Nate quoted. "I don't know how it's done in Endrykas, but in Syliras those are the first two lines of an oath every student of medicine takes."

Nate figured the girl would probably know more about herbs than he did. Well, that was debatable. He probably knew more herbs in Syliras than she did, but that hardly counted. And it was definitely of limited value here. Since she was offering, he saw no reason to refuse.

"Well, if you could teach me at least some of the herbs around here, maybe I could actually be of use out there," Nate replied finally, giving the girl a wry smile.

"Nathaniel Deveraux, by the way," he introduced himself. "But please call me Nathan. I'm a... well I guess you could call me a field medic. And a hunter."

Nate shrugged. He honestly saw nothing contradictory with being a healer of people but a slayer of animals. And he'd never killed an animal he didn't intend to skin or eat. "So..." Nate mused. "How do we start?"
Nathaniel Deveraux
Family First.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Waisana on November 2nd, 2013, 1:26 pm

Waisana found herself frowning slightly at his comment about having an iron stomach. She wasn't quite sure what that meant, stomachs weren't made of iron, so maybe he was talking about not being squeamish or something. That was probably it though it was a strange phrase, one that she hadn't heard before. If that was what he was saying then she supposed that he had a good point. You couldn't be a healer if you felt a bit ill when burning bandages. It made her determined to burn more bandages in future. She'd have the advantage of having this "iron stomach" which the other healers wouldn't have because they gave the job to her. The thought made her smile.

She frowned at the man as he began talking about some path that she didn't know about. Apparently you couldn't do medicine in Syliras if you didn't make it but honestly it sounded fairly obvious to the healer. Wasn't that the whole point of healing? To heal and not harm others was the main idea and if someone needed help then you gave it to them, simple.

He began talking about herbs again and she felt pleased with herself for offering to help him. She did like helping people if she could, even the captives, well actually especially the captives. These people had been brought here to become Drykas but the culture was still strange to them and this man obviously wasn't being integrated in very well so she was happy to be of assistance.

He introduced himself. "Oh well I'm Waisana. Nice to meet you... Nathan," she replied, smiling. Her eyes widened in surprise at his next comment. "Wait...do you want to start now? Like right now? This second?" she asked, staring at him.

2 Quest threads

Waisana
Gentle Horse Maiden

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Nathaniel Deveraux on November 2nd, 2013, 2:07 pm

Nate shrugged at Waisana's question. "Well... yes?" Nate replied. He honestly wasn't sure what the issue was. The sooner they started, the sooner the finished, right?

"I mean, when I'm out in the field," Nate explained, looking back at the Opal tent and sighing. "I don't have access to bedspreads, or medicines, or clean equipment, or someone to burn old bandages." Nate shrugged.

"Pretty much all I have are my hands, my wits, and whatever nature provides me." he concluded. "And somehow, some way, I have to make that work. Because if I don't; if I freeze or panic or blank out, the patient dies. And that is unacceptable."

The words were hard, but not at Waisana. It wasn't just the oath of the healer in this case; Nate had sworn a private oath. That his own ignorance would never be the cause of another person's death again. Not after...

"I've learned that Caiyha provides an enormous bounty of medical equipment, if you just know where to look," Nate explained. "But out in the field, using the wrong herb can kill a patient. You can't afford to get it wrong, not when a patient's life is at risk. I can joke about it here; there are no lives at stake. But out there... simply knowing which herbs are medicinal and which are poisonous would go a long way."

It wouldn't just go a long way. Nate was well aware that the first line of treatment in any field situation was herbalism. Herbs were by far the most abundant source of antiseptics, and knowing the right ones to pick could often mean the difference between life and death. You had few enough advantages out there, every edge counted, especially when lives were on the line.

"It's kind of annoying, actually," he mused. Realizing that his statement seemed to be coming out of nowhere, he explained. "Apparently, I am not allowed to hunt. And now, I'm not permitted to heal either. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to do here. Learn basket weaving?" Nate sighed in frustration. "Sorry, it's not you I'm frustrated with. Actually... do you think you could get me into that healer's tent? I saw some herbs hanging in there, maybe you could explain those?"
Nathaniel Deveraux
Family First.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Waisana on November 2nd, 2013, 5:56 pm

Waisana sighed. He obviously didn't understand that she had things to be doing. True, her duties weren't going anywhere but it wasn't a good idea to leave unsanitary things like used bandages lying around, it wasn't healthy. If she left those hanging around and someone got sick because of it...needless to see she wouldn't be able to forgive herself.

"I have things to do, duties, I can't just leave undone. Those bandages won't burn themselves and the other healers certainly won't touch them so what would you had me do, abandon my work?" She put her hands on her hips, her disapproving expression looking as if it ought to be on an older person's face.

As he went off on a tangent about the lack of supplies out in the field and the importance of herbs, she had to hold her hands up to try to make him realise that she understood. There wasn't a lot that she could do about that now was there? But Nathan's words about dying patients upset her greatly and the girl really wished that he'd shut up. He seemed to be trying to guilt trip her into doing what he'd asked of her. That wasn't in anyway fair.

"I understand how important plants are as medicine, all right? You don't have to give me this speech, I know what you're on about!" the teen snapped at him, her words coming out more forcibly than she'd intended. "Sorry but I just don't like dwelling on certain...thought, okay? There isn't anything that I can do for you now, I'll be missed, mainly because they need someone to do the dirty work. I can't get you into the tent though, not unless..." she paused, not willing to voice the thought. 

Sighing, she continued, "...unless you're hurt you won't be let in. If it was something minor and you asked for me then I suppose I could treat you and teach you the herbs at the same time but I don't like the idea at all. You'd be much better off going to one of the other clans to try to pick up skills on crafting or something rather than injuring yourself just to learn herbalism. Perhaps in the future I can help but...I don't know if I could go along with what I just suggested."

The healer's expression was apologetic.

2 Quest threads

Waisana
Gentle Horse Maiden

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Nathaniel Deveraux on November 2nd, 2013, 7:03 pm

Nate sighed, and rubbed his temples. It seemed that impatience and frustration followed him wherever he went. It wasn't his intention for it to, but it just... irked him that he wasn't permitted to do anything. And it wasn't that he thought she could simply abandon her duties, but he figured that in the course of doing her work she could help him with his little dilemma.

The real irony was, he'd finally found a Drykas who had understandable common, who didn't halt with every word, who mostly understood what he said and still he managed to anger her. Well that was just wonderful. He wasn't exactly making good first impressions on any of the Drykas, it seemed, not that he was necessarily trying to.

"Oh. Right. Because, as a medic, I'd really want dirty bandages just sitting around already-sick patients." he snapped back.

No, he didn't want her to abandon her duties! But that didn't mean someone couldn't do multiple things at once. The girl had better learn quickly that being a doctor meant having to multitask, because whether you're out in the field or in a hospital there is always an emergency to fix, a crisis to avert.

At first, Nate felt a bit angry that she seemed to be treating him like a first-timer who'd never touched a scalpel or closed a wound before, but as quickly as the feeling came it drained from him. She was clearly someone who cared a lot about the medical arts, even though clearly medicine among the Drykas was not done in the same way as in Syliras. In Syliras, medicine was regimented, a precise science in a large stone hospital with stern doctors and near-infinite resources.

But the Drykas were nomadic. Even the River Flower, it seemed, was basically a field hospital, not a true one. So perhaps all Drykas healers were, in a sense, field medics to a degree. Which, surprisingly, Nate felt a kinship with. Finally, people who understood. In Syliras, it was an effort to get medical professionals to understand that in the field one didn't have access to a fully-staffed hospital with doctor's assistants and miles of clean bandages and medicines within arm's reach.

But here, his speech was even a bit annoying. Which he found... gratifying.

Sorry about that, Nate apologized, "it's just... Medicine's a topic that gets me worked up. Eight years I've been doing this, and over that time I've seen too many people claim to want to be a doctor, but then freeze when presented with an actual situation." Like he had, all those years ago.

"I guess I'm just used to a certain attitude when talking to medical people, back in Syliras." he tried to explain.

"The doctors there worked in their big hospitals, built of wood and stone. And they had miles of clean bandages, and gallons of alcohol within ready reach, and every medicine available just around the corner."

Nate shrugged. "It made them... blind, I guess, to the realities field medics like me have to deal with. You'd be surprised how many times I've had to give that speech to doctors who'd been doing medicine for twice as long as I have." Or longer. But those doctors had spent so long cocooned in their comfortable hospitals that they forgot there were medics like Nate who had to keep their patients alive long enough to actually get to their hospitals. Still, it wasn't Waisana's fault that was the case. And she clearly was not like them.

"But it wasn't fair of me to assume you'd be like them. I'm sorry." Nate was a bit surprised at his apology. That was the second time today he'd done so, and to a Drykas no less. A part of him insisted he had nothing to apologize for and even if he did, to not give the tattooed petchers the satisfaction. But then, what was the point? Angering every Drykas in sight wouldn't accomplish, and be entirely exhausting on top of it all. Petch this stupid language barrier!

Nate wrinkled his nose in distaste at the idea of injuring himself just for the purposes of getting into the Opal tent. It seemed... counterproductive. And pointless. The wilds were dangerous already, and he got injured enough just trying to survive it (or at least he would if they actually let him hunt), so he saw little reason to add to his problems with self-injury.

"No, I don't think I'd be very interested in that suggestion either," he agreed.

"And the dirty work always needs to be done. I'm not proposing to drag you away from it. But surely, even the doctors in the tent wouldn't be opposed to one other person burning their bandages? I'm no good with Pavi, maybe you could explain to them I just want to help?"

He couldn't see why they would not permit it. He wouldn't be directly dealing with any actual patients, and it wasn't work that required a great deal of medical knowledge. If anything, it would be manual labor. And hadn't Arundel told him that the Drykas expected him to carry his own weight? On top of it all, frankly, with two people doing the work it would get done twice as fast. How could any of that be a bad thing?
Nathaniel Deveraux
Family First.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Waisana on November 3rd, 2013, 12:12 pm

It was clear that the man wasn't at all pleased by her words. He seemed frustrated, perhaps because he wasn't allowed to do anything and maybe he didn't see her as being helpful. She was trying to be helpful, really she was but she was restricted in what she could do for him. She had work to be doing, she couldn't be giving him lessons. The other healers wouldn't like it one bit, in fact she was so certain that they'd disapprove that she'd much prefer to teach him in secret rather than trying to bring him into the tent and make it what they were doing extremely obvious. 

The healer wasn't going to let him snap at her like that. Her hands balled into fists at her hips, she glared at him. "Don't take that tone with me!" she rebuked him. The young woman pressed her lips together in a thin line. "I did not say anything like that. I know full well that you know the danger something like that would pose. I don't think you're an idiot, at least I didn't think so before but perhaps I was wrong?" The teen raised an eyebrow as if asking him whether what she'd said was true.

No matter how frustrated Nathan was he had absolutely no right to talk to her like that and Waisana wasn't going to stand for it. Did he not realise that she was in no way obliged to teach him anything, in fact she could have just allowed him to leave the tent in peace and not pursued him at all. He should be grateful that she was even standing here talking to him, after all none of the "real" healers had come out to him. They hardly would have looked at him. She was very tempted to tell him as much but seemed to come to his senses himself.

She nodded to show that she acknowledged his apology and then listened intently to his speech on healers in Syliras. What he was describing certainly explained his attitude towards her though he should have realised that Endrykas was not Syliras and that the Drykas themselves were not like the people that he was used to. It surprised her though that people, especially doctors, could be so blind to the harsh reality of injuries and illness. It was definitely not like that here where every Drykas knew that life was hard and that you could only survive with what you had around you.

"Yes it was wrong of you to assume that. I may be young but I do have experience and I do understand how hard things can be in the field. We always carry basic supplies like bandages and water but we do know how to find water and natural bandages out in the Sea of Grass. While we do many things with materials that we can't find out there naturally we know that it's a luxury to have such things. We can go back to basics quite easily, thank you very much. And I've never frozen even if I knew the person," she replied coolly but her expression had softened.

The teen allowed her arms to fall to a more relaxed position at her sides as she regarded him. She frowned at the idea of convincing the healers to allow Nathan to work alongside her. They'd already turned him away once but perhaps that was because they thought he wanted to heal people, which he had. Surely they couldn't object to him burning some bandages, right? That didn't involve people after all.

Turning on her heel, she began to stride back towards the healing tent, calling over her shoulder, "Come and wait outside the tent until I tell you otherwise." It wasn't long before she was pushing through the tent flap to find the healer from earlier holding a bowl filled with bandages and wearing a disgruntled expression.

"Where did you go?" he asked her, annoyance colouring his voice. She signed to show that he shouldn't get mad at her. He frowned down at her. "You're supposed to burn bandages!"

The girl made the gesture again as she tried to remember the man's name. "I only left for a few moments...Drakhas. There weren't any bandages anyway so there was no panic. Looks like there are plenty now. Perhaps I could do with some help to burn them all." Her suggestion seemed to make the man unhappy, perhaps he was worried she meant his help. She pressed on.

"That captive man that was in here earlier, he'd be willing to help. He wants to pull his weight. Can he not burn bandages with me?" The man Drakhas looked angry now, his nostrils flaring as he gave a sharp shake of his head.

"He cannot be trusted. Suppose he poisoned a patient either by accident or on purpose. He is not trained, he could do harm."

Feeling frustrated, Waisana tried again. "He has eight years medical experience and he would only be burning bandages. I can watch him the whole time," she argued. The healer looked stunned.

"You talked to him?" he asked, sounding surprised that she would do such a thing. She nodded. She didn't think it was all that shocking. "You are sure you can watch him?" She nodded eagerly this time. "So be it. It's on your head," he concluded, handing her the bowl before walking off.

Nearly skipping with joy and triumph, the girl popped her head out the tent flap. "Nathan, come here!" she called.

2 Quest threads

Waisana
Gentle Horse Maiden

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets