Completed [Kenash Auction House] A New Nanny

With the protection of Sypha, Inari and Fiora attend an afternoon slave auction.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

[Kenash Auction House] A New Nanny

Postby Quinn Stormcloud on October 9th, 2013, 12:46 am

Much to Quinn's surprise, the Dynasty ladies came rushing, ironically enough, to the aid of their own bodyguard. What sort of a guard ties his petching sword up so as to make it useless anyhow? No matter. The way the one lady with the shawl covering her face coddled the man, almost made him laugh. He thought to suggest maybe kissing the boo boo to make it all better for the guard. But then, that would probably just elicit more confrontation. Which was something he really was wanting to avoid. Especially here!

Her offer to even give him the slave caused him to crack a slight smirk. All the while he peered into her eyes, which presently were the only parts of her face he could see. An interesting person this one. She had the spirit to stand up for what she thought right, but seemingly a trained compulsion to back down from someone who clearly could overpower her.

Hmph.
He thought annoyingly to himself. Probably a trait demanded by her husband or father or whatever Dynasty big wig was over her. He began to ease his draw on the bow and direct it to a direction not at the woman, when her friend stepped in to assume control of situation. An eyebrow raised when the friend withdrew the offer of the slave for her and then continued on with her diplomatic approach to the situation.

Quinn simply remained silent while she spoke. When she finished and offered a hand, his eyes moved back and forth between the trio for a tick before he finally stood up straight and out of his combat stance. Returning the arrow to it's place and holding his bow to the side, Quinn shook Inari's hand firmly, but not roughly. "Miss Lorak, I assure you, the pleasure is all mine." His tone was markedly different from how he spoke to this Sypha, was it? In fact, it was quite the opposite. As if someone had flipped a switch and changed his disposition.

"My name is Quinn. Quinn Stormcloud. Again, it's nice to make your acquaintance." He said in a friendly manner with a slight bow. "I'm just one a several people who supply this establishment with it's uh...stock." Quinn continued, as he turned around for a moment eyeing the slave who had fallen into fits of laughter at their antics. As he thought about it, he was sure it must have been quite the sight from her position. Her comments brought on another smirk as he turned back toward the ladies. In particular toward Fiora, who was still hiding behind the guard.

"Miss Radacke, you have nothing to fear from me. There is no need to hide behind your...ahem, "fine swordsmen" here." It took everything he had to not snicker at the man who's sword had proved completely useless in a situation that desperately needed it. Still, ever the professional. Quinn remained composed and merely continued in his same friendly tone, even brandishing his customarily pleasant smile. "And don't worry. I would never think to take the slave you had already won. At least not by such means as this." He said with a small nod toward Inari, before refocusing in Fi again. "As I was trying to explain to your guard here. I only meant to offer my congratulations. And best wishes that your new slave prove to be everything you hope her to be."

He took a breath a looked the group over once more. "Anyway, as my business here is now concluded. I bid you all a pleasant day, along with my apologies that we could not have met under more ...agreeable circumstances." He gave a final bow to the group and departed.

QUINN
Quinn Stormcloud
Slaver

Words: 7682
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2013, 12:14 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Sypha Kai on October 10th, 2013, 7:26 pm

<===================={===> <===}====================>

-Sypha had reeled back from the colliding forehead, which seconds ago had crashed
forcefully into his unprepared face. He was momentarily blinded by the sudden swell
of moisture in his eyes, a natural reaction when the nose is struck in such a manner.
The Eypharian's short retreat ceased when he felt the edge of the bench touch against
the back of his leg. His branded hand had immediately lifted to his shrouded visage to
cover his mouth and nose, the scarlet fabric pressed beneath his palm quickly becoming
saturated with blood.

-Angry words, spoken in Arumenic, escaped his bloodied lips as the petite Fiora
advanced into the hostility. Nobody within earshot would understand the insult he strung
forth in his native tongue, but Sypha knew, and it had something to do with a pair of
camels and the Slaver's mother. The Benshira's hand was then felt upon his other
upper appendage, as if she held some sort of power to keep him at bay. She had placed
herself in the midst of battle, very possibly saving the Mercenary from an arrow that was
intended for him. It was also possible she saved others in crowd, who knows how off the
mark Quinn's shot might have been?

-Fiora's short stint of bravery ended quickly as she cut her own words off and retreated
behind the swordsman, who was on the verge of snapping the stretching string which
secured his short sword. Damn these Humans and their idiot laws he thought, referring to
the peace-knot that prevented the ejection of his blade. It was mandated in Section 10 of
the city's Regulations that Freeborns bearing arms were required to wear these
hindrances. The penalty for not having one, or even drawing a weapon without a good
reason, was expressed in Section 5 of the Regulations. Section 5 would then lead to
Section 1, and as a Freeborn in Kenash, you didn't want to face Section 1 when the
Magistrate wasn't in a good mood.

-Thinking a little more clearly now, Sypha released the tension upon the thin crimson cord
and allowed the blade to nestle back in its slit. There was no reason to spend the night
in a cell beneath the Magistrate's Office, not for this filth of a Human. Sypha Kai turned his
cloth coiled head enough to place the intensity of his gaze upon the Benshira woman, reverting
back to common, though maintaining his Eypharian accent," You dishonor me..." Angered by
the course of events, by the pain radiating around the center of his countenance, his words were
meant to sting while Inari's where meant to calm. The Lorak had come to her friend's aid,
speaking with the Slaver as he lowered his ranged weapon.

-Quinn would then pull Fiora's attention to him, bringing her into the conversation that was
shared with Inari. Another insult was tossed Sypha's way in the form of sarcasm, which brought
the Eypharian's wicked, coal smeared stare back to the Slaver. His performance was sickening,
then his disappearance was mildly relieving. There was far too much attention placed on the trio,
which meant it was time for them to move on. They would need to recover the woman making a
fool of herself upon the dais and leave before the Magistrate's guards began investigating the
situation that just happened.

<===================={===> <===}====================>
Sypha Kai
Mercenary from the Sands

Words: 34635
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2013, 11:12 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Fiora Radacke on October 10th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Fiora

As hoots of laughter and derision emanated from the stage, Fiora felt the last of any resolve and strength vanish from her being. Letting go of Sypha, she wobbled on her feet, too overwhelmed by the day's events while Inari, ever practical, acted as peacemaker between the two men. The Benshira was so utterly mortified that when the bowman peered into her eyes, she could not even hold his gaze for more than a few ticks. He must think her a weakling...which she knew she was, especially right now, and she was growing weaker with a rapidity that alarmed her.

The words exchanged by the slaver and Vantha sounded like they were being spoken underwater and while Fiora could make out her name being said, she could not seem to grasp the rest of the meaning of their speech. She pressed her hand to her stomach, feeling nauseous all of a sudden, while her temples pounded with an excruciating beat. She could not imagine what she must look like at that moment, her face beginning to drain of blood, knowing that all eyes were fixed in her direction. Though the last thing she wanted to do was to remove her scarf from her head, she did so, because she was finding it difficult to breathe. She hadn't even remembered putting it around her face to begin with; she must have done it during one of the times she was completely embarrassed that day.

Sypha twisted his neck around and his eyes were sharper than any blade he carried as he glared at her. "You dishonor me..." he said and Fiora wilted even more. She had only meant to make sure he was alright. It was her motherly instinct; she hadn't meant to dishonor anybody.

"I'm sorry," she whispered to Sypha, and then bit her tongue as hard as she could so she wouldn't begin crying like a child. Now not only did she have an angry swordsman and a fierce slave to deal with, but she would soon have to head back to her barbarous husband, who no doubt would be incredibly irate at her, too. Unable to fathom what she had just done that afternoon, Fiora began to tremble.

Quinn Stormcloud, the name of the man whom she had beat and who, it seemed, had just defeated her in a different way, looked at her again. Fiora found a small sliver of strength return to her as she gazed into his eyes, but it was gone in a flash, as the bowman bowed and turned on his heel to march away. The Benshira's face paled five shades lighter and she swayed on her feet. Her vision grew blurry and though she tried to focus on Sypha's red shroud, the colors all blended together into an enveloping blackness as she pitched forward, the ringing laughter of the feral slave echoing through her ear canals.

Fiora Radacke
Weaving tales and tapestries

Words: 55884
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Inari Lorak on October 10th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Inari felt her brow form little beads of sweat. It was a harrowing trial, maintaining diplomacy whilst feeling the air vibrate with a whole mess of clashing personalities and agendas. It was all she could do not to run screaming from the auction house altogether.

When Quinn left, she felt a surge of relief. For the longest time, she had been convinced he would pull some kind of dirty trick in the midst of all his curiously fine words. But he didn't, and even bowed before tactfully departing.

As soon as Inari turned around, a tired smirk on her face, Fi collapsed into a heap on the ground.

"Fi!" Inari cried, though she did not run immediately to her aid. Instead, she spoke calmly to Sypha, asking him to watch over the vulnerable Benshira, then marched straight up to the auction stage. Ignoring the guards, auctioneer, and attendees alike, she crooked one finger at the unseemly slave and barked an order. It was the first time she'd ever commanded a slave in a such a manner, but this was no time for pleasantries.

"You, slave. Your mistress requires your assistance. Glare at me all you like; failure to comply will simply earn you a beating so fatal under the hands of the Radacke that your brains will be oozing out of your arse."

She nodded at the Marshal. The auctioneer sneered, then waved at one of the guards. A big, burly fellow holding a giant whip with hooks running down its entire length stepped up, his beady eyes glued to the stubborn slave with single minded glee.

"You will follow me. Now. Or become suddenly very intimate with this lovely gentleman here and his Cat 'o Nines."

The guard grinned, his crooked, yellow teeth almost as unsavory as the gruesome cat of nine tails in his meaty hands. Inari held back a shudder of revulsion, staring levelly at the slave.

Then, with a swirl of skirts, she was walking back to her companions, trusting that the slave woman would follow. A cab had been hailed for them, courtesy of the auction house. Inari could see that they had managed to load Fi inside and her heart hammered a little less violently. Not bothering to look behind her, she ducked into the cab with a worried glance at her ghostly pale friend, then silently thanked Sypha.

The slave had better show up, lest she find herself at the mercy of Fiora's ruthless husband.

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Malkhazni on October 11th, 2013, 1:10 am

Aaand the pale lady was ordering her around now. This day just kept getting better, didn't it? And Radacke? Brains out of her arse? Oh yes, sounded lovely. Mal simply shrugged and stepped off the stage, landing lightly on the balls of her feet and creeping forwards.

"Yeah, yeah, lady. I hear ya. You know, you'd get a better reaction out of people if you respected them, shyke-'ead. No wonder us slaves hate you Dynasty petchers so much."

The 'obedient' slave followed her mistress' friend, shoulders shaking with silent laughter. As the lady slid into a cab, Mal's expression changed. Was she to get into the cab, too? Or was she to follow behind? The Kelvic shrugged and decided to get into the cab as well, her tall, wiry frame appearing to fill the interior.

"Don't mind me, ma'am. Just tryin' to not get left behind."

"Mal's Speech"
Malkhazni
Sharp claws and a tongue to match.

Words: 5457
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2013, 3:01 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Poppy on November 6th, 2013, 7:52 pm

...because you've EARNED it!

Inari :
+5 Observation
+2 Socialization
+2 Rhetoric
+1 Leadership

Sypha Kai: Potential Ally?
Sypha Kai: Effective & Efficient
Slave Auction Proceedings
Watching a Bidding War
Guttersnipe: Insult?
Diffusing a Heated Situation
Quinn Stormcloud: Slaver

Fiora :
+5 Observation
+1 Socialization

Slave Auction is no Place for Children
Some Lessons Require Different Teachers
Bidding at Auction
Participating in a Bidding War
Winning a Bidding War
Too Much Excitement Causes Ill-Effects

-800GM
+1 Kelvic slave, Malkhazni

Please note that, while it is sometimes necessary to collaborate in PMs how an event will turn out, its nice to leave your friendly ST an OOC note stating that you have permission to assume certain things about another's character, such as bidding prices. :)

Sypha Kai :
+5 Observation
+1 Intimidation
+1 Unarmed Combat

Relying on Sight to Protect
Providing Silent Warnings
Watching a Bidding War
Reacting to a Perceived Threat
Inconvenience of Peaceknots

Injury: Broken Nose. Your nose will need time to heal. Be gentle with it until the 54th of Fall.

Please note you, as a player, may know things, such as names, about others, but unless there's been mention of these details IC, your character does not.

Quinn :
Please update your CS to reflect weapons purchases and other incomplete areas. PM me when this is done and I will award your grade! :)

Malkhazni :
+5 Observation

Bidders Don't Want an Annoying Slave
Tactics to Avoid Being Purchased
Rude Gestures
Inciting a Bidding War

Please note that its highly unlikely a slave is going to think in terms of paragraphs. ;) This phrase "By the time he had performed the action mentioned in the above paragraph" could have been reworded to fit the story easily; "before the bodyguard could free his weapon" is just one alternative.

Notes :
Whew! That was a jam-packed thread. I awarded what I saw; as I saw it. Injuries, individual notes and gains/losses are noted in each person's spoiler box.

Nicely done, all!

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns!

But pleasures are like poppies spread,
You seize the flower, its bloom is shed.
Tam o'Shanter, Robert Burns

Kenash Codex | Poppy's Office | Poppy's Boxes
Moderated Threads: 1 of 3
Poppy
To remember...

Words: 33927
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2013, 10:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Previous